• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS4 sales triple thanks to PS4 launch

Outrun

Sony is selling Pro at a profit and Slim at an even bigger profit.
Microsoft is basically incurring into inventory loss here to get rid of old units that are still around.

It is about market share at this point. They need to stay in the game for a year. Being outsold by 44% in November is good news.

Elios83

It is about market share at this point. They need to stay in the game for a year. Being outsold by 44% in November is good news.

Indeed they do not have many alternatives.
Basically their financial guidance tells us that they plan to stay competitive in the US+UK although they expect overall lower worldwide sales and less revenues compared to last year.
But yeah focusing on their strongest markets and throwing everything they can is what they should do right now.

A profit could be anything from £2 per Pro to £30 per slim. As I said. Microsoft could have 10m in revenue and be making relative pennies.

Sony are not making much profit on the Pro.

Sony made $18 per PS4 at launch. They have more tech in this console and you expect them to make a lot of cheddar?

I don't know how much profit Sony is making on the two models.
I only know that Pro is profitable and Slim even more because that's what they have stated. So all their (big) sales are also done while making money.
Do you think that Microsoft is selling those discounted units with up to 4 games included at a profit?
That's the definition of inventory loss and since it is a loss at least they're trying to use it to counter the Pro, in this sense they're trying to turn the loss into a market share investement.

gtj1092

Hasnt MS been trying to clear through OG stock since July? How is there still some available especially in their biggest markets?

Welfare

44% in the week with a new model.

Total November sales so far:
PS4: 86k
XB1: 69k

PS4 is ahead by 24.6% total so far. PS4 could continue to lead sales this November depending on the drops next week and Black Friday.

TBiddy

MS is a different beast than your garden variety widget maker. Mindshare is much more important for future revenue potential.

Indeed. Lots of arm-chair analysts in this thread. Taking an XB1 bundle with 4 games and detracting the full retail price of said games to get the value of an XB1 is an... odd way of calculating.

Black Friday will decide the winner.
As it does every year. Why people try and pretend otherwise is boggling

Sony is selling Pro at a profit and Slim at an even bigger profit.
Microsoft is basically incurring into inventory loss here to get rid of old units that are still around.
Aren't these units already sold to retailers? Wouldn't it be the retailers incurring inventory loss on old OG units they bought?

JP

Yesterday Tesco was selling for £179

Xbox One 500GB Console - Matte Black
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Rise of The Tomb Raider
Quantum Break

What is that making the Xbox One about £80?
Damn, that's a good deal. If I didn't already have the console I'd have definately bought that bundle without even thinking.

Meciu

Yesterday Tesco was selling for £179

Xbox One 500GB Console - Matte Black
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Rise of The Tomb Raider
Quantum Break

What is that making the Xbox One about £80?

OMG! You basically get the console for free. No wonder they sell like crazy lol

jjonez18

Lol that title. Wish there had been parody titles like this on launch day back in 2013.

"PS4 sales near infinite increase after PS4 launch"

Op: I honestly did not expect people to car much for the pro. Glad it's stops the PS4 from its stagnant trend. I was really starting to get the impression that roles had reversed due to XB1S.

Still should have had a UHD blu ray in it. Stupid, stupid decision. Eat the costs.

TBiddy

Considering how poorly the PS4 was selling before the launch of the Pro, the difference over the Xbox One isn't actually that impressive.

The XB1 was outselling the Pro according to the numbers posted earlier. But it's still early, so we'll see what happens during november and december.

Elios83

Considering how poorly the PS4 was selling before the launch of the Pro, the difference over the Xbox One isn't actually that impressive.

Emm no.
In September Xbox won the month in UK by just 1500 units.
In October the gap was less than 25k units.
Last week sales were 21k vs 24k.
PR victory headlines won't tell you the reality that sales have been pretty much tied so far.
Pro gave a huge boost to PS4.
A huge discount gave a boost to Xbox as well last week.

Welfare

October
Xbox One: 99,496 (57%) [Average of 24,874 a week]
PS4: ~74,600 (43%) [Average of ~18,650 a week]

Week 1 November
Xbox One: 24k (53%)
PS4: 21k (47%)

Week 2 November
Xbox One: 45k (41%)
PS4: 65k (59%)

PS4 was not selling poorly prior to this week. It was before FIFA, but after that it improved by a huge amount.

jjonez18

Man, it looks like the lack of that UHD drive is really hurting sales.

It certainly isn't hurting the XB1S. Let's not pretend UHD blu ray isn't a feature some people look for in consoles nowadays. I work at Best Buy in the home theater department. Haven't met a person who wouldn't rather have the XB1S over one of those Samsung or Panasonic 4K players for the same price.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What I'd like to know for both Sony and MS is how many new people they are bringing in vs how many people are just upgrading from the original PS4 and Bone to the Pro and Slim.

panda-zebra

Indeed. Lots of arm-chair analysts in this thread. Taking an XB1 bundle with 4 games and detracting the full retail price of said games to get the value of an XB1 is an... odd way of calculating.

It's not an odd way of calculating anything, just a total of each individual game at the retailer that sold the bundle.

That "full retail price" you speak of has:

Gears 4 at just under £40 - it's only really much cheaper at Smyths and Amazon right now - full retail price at Microsoft Store is £50.

Horizon 3 at just under £40 - can't find it cheaper today in the UK, and again RRP at MS store £50.

Quantum Break at £17.50 - cheapest price in UK, MS store RRP £40.

RotTR at £18.99 - again, cannot find anywhere cheaper. MS Store RRP £50

Taking the real "full retail prices of said games to get the value of the xbox one" would give the price of the console at -£10.00

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aren't these units already sold to retailers? Wouldn't it be the retailers incurring inventory loss on old OG units they bought?

Think there are platform-holder incentives at play here. MS is selling the old models from £180-£200 themselves also.

Since the xb1 began taking a monthly sales lead over ps4, it has sold less than 30k more units in total than ps4 prior to the Pro launch. It has been selling fairly similarly to xb1 in the face of some deep discounting, with a little of its own in the shape of those last few OGs for £150/£180 at the end of September.

Elios83

What I'd like to know for both Sony and MS is how many new people they are bringing in vs how many people are just upgrading from the original PS4 and Bone to the Pro and Slim.

That is certainly a concern given how poorly many games are performing in UK retail charts.
Although it's not clear atm if digital is making up, if it's just that the market got bored with certain games or if UK software sales are simply declining.

LordRaptor

It's not an odd way of calculating anything, just a total of each individual game at the retailer that sold the bundle.

It is a bad way of describing value, because it only has that value if thats the price you wanted to pay for every one of those games, and if you wanted to buy every one of those games today at that price.

XBO outsold by 44%... only? 🤔

Anyways, the dream of XBO being #1 in November is kinda dead lol
I still believe it will take NPD due to having a more marketable bundle game and being able to advertise it as a 4K box for $300. I just don't think the Pro is going to appeal mass market but I could be wrong.

Chao

I was the only one at the GAME store on launch day. Nobody cared about the pro around here it seems.

I asked if there was enough stock for me to get one and they said "yeah I think there will be one for you"

In the end, I'm sure I was the only one who got it preordered there lol

Shiggy

I was the only one at the GAME store on launch day. Nobody cared about the pro around here it seems.

I asked if there was enough stock for me to get one and they said "yeah I think there will be one for you"

In the end, I'm sure I was the only one who got it preordered there lol

Maybe that's the reason lol

TBiddy

Yes it is. You can't just detract the prices of anything bundled with an item and then arrive at a price point and make the conclusion of said items current worth. I'm curious as to how you arrived at that logical conclusion.

Taking the real "full retail prices of said games to get the value of the xbox one" would give the price of the console at -£10.00

Which is exactly why it makes no sense whatsoever to do those sorts of math. And I don't even know why you made that smiley of yours. ("¯\_(ツ)_/¯").
PS. RRP != full retail price.

ron_bato

meanwhile, Sony hasn't officially launched the Pro here in my country grr

They already have. Sony Philippines contacted me that their official retail partners have started selling.

Unfortunately, stocks were limited and the first batch sold out quick.

The larger retailers are claiming December is when the next batch will arrive.

panda-zebra

It is a bad way of describing value, because it only has that value if thats the price you wanted to pay for every one of those games, and if you wanted to buy every one of those games today at that price.

The response was armchair experts subtracting* RRP of games - I did not. I think taking the price of the games at the same retailer on the same day gives a great idea of the value offered to someone looking to purchase that machine right there and then, especially as tesco direct aren't a price-gouging joke of an online retailer, they're pretty competitive. It's exactly what had my finger hovering on that buy button.

The XB1 was outselling the Pro according to the numbers posted earlier. But it's still early, so we'll see what happens during november and december.

haha, it's all a matter of how you wish to view these things, isn't it? Saying "the xbox one" - combining OG and S, yet differentiating between ps4 models, now who's doing the armchair expert thing with some classy data analysis, lol. As the average sale price given in the revenue numbers shows, the vast majority were likely not new S models, rather those bargain OGs making up the larger part of that number. So as you say, in the coming 7 or 8 weeks we'll see... the numbers should be "interesting".

Taking an XB1 bundle with 4 games and detracting the full retail price of said games to get the value of an XB1 is an... odd way of calculating.
Yeah, I agree that trying to calculate a particular number on value is just false precison. All we can say is that Xbox One has far less value to consumers.

panda-zebra

You can't just detract the prices of anything bundled with an item and then arrive at a price point and make the conclusion of said items current worth. I'm curious as to how you arrived at that logical conclusion.

Well, that's exactly what prospective purchasers will be doing when they sit there and consider making the purchase. It's exactly what I did when considering taking on one of the old big bulky xbones vs a new slim with lesser value on 4 games right at the top of my xb1 wanted list.

And I don't even know why you made that smiley of yours. ("¯\_(ツ)_/¯").

Simply because your stance makes me shrug. Console + games A, B, C and D = £180... subtract cost of games and arrive at bargain price for console. Not that difficult a concept to grasp.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A profit could be anything from £2 per Pro to £30 per slim. As I said. Microsoft could have 10m in revenue and be making relative pennies.

Sony are not making much profit on the Pro.

Sony made $18 per PS4 at launch. They have more tech in this console and you expect them to make a lot of cheddar?

Its only a new GPU and a new case, and a new CPU. Generally, XB1'a firesales will cancel out a lot more money going to MS than Pro's architecture enhancements.

Top Bottom