• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS4 sales triple thanks to PS4 launch

EvB

Seems people were waiting for the Pro these last few months then, pretty much as expected really.

Or simply the hardcore have gone out and made their purchase for day one and once that is over it will slow back down to a fairly normal level of hardware units being sold

//DEVIL//

Or simply the hardcore have gone out and made their purchase for day one and once that is over it will slow back down to a fairly normal level of hardware units being sold

I highly doubt that. yes sales will slow down. but it wont be as bad as before.

Yep, this is my read if the situation as well. I sound like a broken record at this point but I think some put too much stock in what success means for Pro/Scorpio is actual sales. They'll make up such a tiny part of the overall sales for the platform, especially as we move into the holidays.

EvB

I highly doubt that. yes sales will slow down. but it wont be as bad as before.

Probably not, but you've got to make th difference between people buying their first current gen machine and people who feel the need to upgrade.

Even if as many as 1/10 existing PS4 owners make the choice to upgrade, that's only an extra 10% the number of units being sold than would have been otherwise.

Also, for each upgrade, you are likely introducing a used PS4 into circulation, which brings down the cost of a used PS4 and makes the purchase of a new one less likely.

What we've seen in every other generation is that once the consoles hit a value threshold, they have a second wind. The Regular PS4 and Xbox One S have probably not reached the affordability point makes them accessible to the super casual players.

TBiddy

haha, it's all a matter of how you wish to view these things, isn't it? Saying "the xbox one" - combining OG and S, yet differentiating between ps4 models, now who's doing the armchair expert thing with some classy data analysis, lol. As the average sale price given in the revenue numbers shows, the vast majority were likely not new S models, rather those bargain OGs making up the larger part of that number. So as you say, in the coming 7 or 8 weeks we'll see... the numbers should be "interesting".

What? I did literally no analysis in that post. No need to be aggressive mate. I just recapped the numbers. And that was it.

Simply because your stance makes me shrug. Console + games A, B, C and D = £180... subtract cost of games and arrive at bargain price for console. Not that difficult a concept to grasp.

It's not difficult to grasp. But that doesn't mean it makes sense. You can't just take a price of an item and subtract it from the total, to the price of the remaining items. That's not how any of this works.

You may as well say Console/GameA/GameB/GameC = 180£. Subtract the cost of those items, and you have the price of GameD (which would probably be below 0£).

Yeah, I agree that trying to calculate a particular number on value is just false precison. All we can say is that Xbox One has far less value to consumers.

Agreed. I'm not sure how anyone could arrive at any different conclusion.

cakely

Congratulations, Sony.

Also, another "Sales increased by X percent!" announcement out of of the UK. Not terribly useful.

PS4 Sales dropped much lower than normal though and while its possible, it seems more likely that the slow down was due to the Pro or at least some of it will be anyway.

Xbox One sales slowed down just before the XB1 S came out, so I'm thinking the same thing here.

I guess we will see when the next 2 NPD reports come out, to see if things really have changed or if people were just waiting for the Pro.

The God

What I'd like to know for both Sony and MS is how many new people they are bringing in vs how many people are just upgrading from the original PS4 and Bone to the Pro and Slim.

these new consoles are definitely going to be more about getting people to rebuy rather than getting new people in

notacat

Bu....but.... that missing 4K Blu-Ray disc-drive! Sony am doomed!!

Bu but, I want to plug my headphones into my iPhone 7!

Same thing. Nobody liked it, company does it anyway because we're all their bitch and give them money anyway.

Same thing. Nobody liked it, company does it anyway because we're all their bitch and give them money anyway.
I'm sure that is part of it but I also think there are people who don't care or don't even know about it.

There was this notion that the lack of the Blu-Ray would nip Pro in the bud (or at least be one of the main reasons) but here we are. I don't think it is as big a deal as the internet made it out to be.

Not bad at all. More Pros sold = better Pro support from 3rd parties yes(?)
seems logical, but I always expected future games will be the best showpieces, it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of money in patching games for future TV tech.

getting Pro early is a nice bonus IMO, the first standout game won't hit until Horizon. Although some may say playing FF15 @ 60fps is a reason to get one as well, and maybe TLG will have a significant patch. But ground up with Pro in mind games like GTS, Days Gone, GOW, etc...that's when I think the system will really shine and unless you are really on a budget, it would make no sense not to get a Pro.

Lingitiz

This is going to motivate Sony to release a new Playstation every 2 to 3 years in the future right?
I bet we get a revised Pro model in a few years and the slim model gets phased out. But not sure if that would be against the guidelines they set for parity across the two models.

Chao

Maybe that's the reason lol

They were the only place where I could trade my og ps4 in, so PS4 pro ended up costing only 160€. Clerk was a super asshole, but I only had to talk to him for 10 minutes.

wish i could have done it through amazon

Moltenix

So if the PS4 sold 0 units before launch and now sales have tripled since launch, that means they haven't sold any PS4's. Sony is doomed!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
notacat said:
At least standard headphones can actually be found at retailers in Europe - can't say the same thing for UHD BRs.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
seems logical, but I always expected future games will be the best showpieces, it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of money in patching games for future TV tech.

getting Pro early is a nice bonus IMO, the first standout game won't hit until Horizon. Although some may say playing FF15 @ 60fps is a reason to get one as well, and maybe TLG will have a significant patch. But ground up with Pro in mind games like GTS, Days Gone, GOW, etc...that's when I think the system will really shine and unless you are really on a budget, it would make no sense not to get a Pro.
Ya I feel you on this one. Although Ratchet looks absolutely godly on the Pro right now, 2017 titles will have even better Pro support built in and it'll show. Looking forward to when most devs really get the hang of this checkerboard rendering stuff. Days Gone & GOW will wow quite a lot of people on the Pro, no doubt. Just as Horizon has. 2017 will be a beast.

Sinistral

This is going to motivate Sony to release a new Playstation every 2 to 3 years in the future right?

I don't think it's a bad thing so long it's 3 years, and the PS5 is a whole new generation. 2019 PS5, 2022 PS5Pro, etc. New generation to raise the floor that games are created upon.

6 Years a generation seems like a good thing at this point.

Kill3r7

This is darn near stupid. How can MS afford this?

MS is a much bigger company than Sony and at this point this is all about mindshare. That said, this is a company that legitimately considered giving away the OG Xbox for free.

"At the time, Xbox thought that the core market was going to be casual. They were going to be the casual gamers' machine. Now, that's why they approached us because they said 'we think you've got something that competes in that Mario space and we think Mario's the thing to kill ... We see that space. We want that audience. We love Oddworld so why don't you get on this bandwagon? And we might give the box away'," Lanning explained to GamesIndustry.biz.

"So now you're like, 'look, if you're going to give the box away, you're going to win. If you're going to win, we want to be on board'."

N.Domixis

Banned
Yep, this is my read if the situation as well. I sound like a broken record at this point but I think some put too much stock in what success means for Pro/Scorpio is actual sales. They'll make up such a tiny part of the overall sales for the platform, especially as we move into the holidays.
Yes but now we don't have preorders siphoning off sales causing one to worse than it is. The pro will contribute a percentage of the overall sales.

timberger

But I was told nobody wanted the Pro because it doesn't play those UHD Blu-Rays no one seems to be buying (Or even stocking judging from all the shops I've been in).

Can only assume these numbers must be inaccurate then.

Well deserved, Pro is fucking awesome. IQ on the games I've tried so far has been blowing me away.

blakep267

This is darn near stupid. How can MS afford this?
More people into the ecosystem raises the chances that they buy digital goods( games,movies, groove, apps), buy Xbox live memberships, most of if not all the first party games have a micro transaction element to them etc. also it raises your market share for future game releases. plus you want to get those older xboxs off the shelves so you can ship more newer consoles

Welfare

Yesterday Tesco was selling for £179

Xbox One 500GB Console - Matte Black
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Rise of The Tomb Raider
Quantum Break

What is that making the Xbox One about £80?

Are you sure that deal included all 4 games or you could choose 1 out of the 4? Huge difference.

They are marketing on of the biggest games of the year this fall in BF1, along with mainstays of FIFA and Madden

And yet they still fall behind month after month, have to wonder how much those work for both parties.

How can MS afford this?

They can afford it as long as their shareholders can stomach the lack of a return, i think Scorpio is their last throw of the Dice. Console gaming in particular isn't a growth market, MS is seeing this on its consoles, and in its games releases, thats why they're going all in for one last shot with the Scorpio.

blakep267

Those are all EA, made before the console even launched
Ok then Fallout 4, Division, Witcher 3. Before Sony has only had COD for 2 years and suddenly MS gets no marketing deals

And yet they still fall behind month after month, have to wonder how much those work for both parties.

They can afford it as long as their shareholders can stomach the lack of a return, i think Scorpio is their last throw of the Dice. Console gaming in particular isn't a growth market, MS is seeing this on its consoles, and in its games releases, thats why they're going all in for one last shot with the Scorpio.
What does that have to do with anything we were talking about. If anything, FIFA and BF are some of the main reasons they are doing well( along with new S design)

Ya I feel you on this one. Although Ratchet looks absolutely godly on the Pro right now, 2017 titles will have even better Pro support built in and it'll show. Looking forward to when most devs really get the hang of this checkerboard rendering stuff. Days Gone & GOW will wow quite a lot of people on the Pro, no doubt. Just as Horizon has. 2017 will be a beast.
yup, MS has their work cut out for them with the launch of Scorpio. Even with more tech under the hood, it'll be second gen Pro games going against launch Scorpio games. They better hope the difference is obvious lol, or they'll just sell only to current Xbox owners again and not grow the market much outside of U.S/UK. I'm also wondering what the move after Scorpio is? Do they just always release a year after PS now? If PS5 is ready in 2019, X3 more than likely would still be too early?

Next year so exciting...

Hesemonni

Banned
Yesterday Tesco was selling for £179

Xbox One 500GB Console - Matte Black
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Rise of The Tomb Raider
Quantum Break

What is that making the Xbox One about £80?
I have hard time believing this to be true. Must be choose 1 of 4. Or something.

I just sold my Xbox One and I'd gladly bite if a good Xbox One S deal comes along. Good old physical copy bundles, no download code bullshit!1

I'm also wondering what the move after Scorpio is? Do they just always release a year after PS now? If PS5 is ready in 2019, X3 more than likely would still be too early?

Next year so exciting...
That is something I've been curious about too. What impact does Scorpio have on the next Xbox? I think PS5 will be 2019 too. So, the next Xbox would be coming two years after Scorpio if they want to launch at the same time. I don't know, seems too soon to launch but letting Sony launch the next PS with no competition seems like it would be far worse for them in the grand scheme of things.

notacat

I'm sure that is part of it but I also think there are people who don't care or don't even know about it.

There was this notion that the lack of the Blu-Ray would nip Pro in the bud (or at least be one of the main reasons) but here we are. I don't think it is as big a deal as the internet made it out to be.

Well, thing is the blu-ray player in this, and the base PS4 could both support 4K UHD discs, just need a firmware update, laser is compliant.

Thing is, Sony is selling their new stand-alone 4K UHD player for 200+. No reason for them to compete with themselves.

I can understand where they are coming from. Also you have a good point, I doubt a lot of consumers know or care about 4K UHD. when blu-ray was first out, many were surprised that a lot of movies on it were just 720p, not 1080p like everyone assumed.

Top Bottom