• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: PS4 sales triple thanks to PS4 launch

Well, thing is the blu-ray player in this, and the base PS4 could both support 4K UHD discs, just need a firmware update, laser is compliant.

Thing is, Sony is selling their new stand-alone 4K UHD player for 200+. No reason for them to compete with themselves.

I can understand where they are coming from. Also you have a good point, I doubt a lot of consumers know or care about 4K UHD. when blu-ray was first out, many were surprised that a lot of movies on it were just 720p, not 1080p like everyone assumed.
The only Sony UHD player available is via the custom installer route. They do not have a consumer level UHD BD player available.

Nice launch. It's going to be really interesting to watch how the Pro legs over the following months. I'm just not sure if this is more of a hardcore consumer device that will be front loaded and then slow down a bit, or if it's going to be more the de facto console moving forward for many people.

Fun times ahead

Nice launch. It's going to be really interesting to watch how the Pro legs over the following months. I'm just not sure if this is more of a hardcore consumer device that will be front loaded and then slow down a bit, or if it's going to be more the de facto console moving forward for many people.

Fun times ahead

I'd be surprised if Pro stays noticably ahead for now, but it depends on what deals are going to be offered.

Curufinwe

No, no we won't. The Pro upgrades for non-4K gamers are minimal even after 3 years of technology advancement. They definitely won't make this a yearly thing. I think they already know they're pushing it with the Pro, they won't push any harder. PS5 in 2019 though for sure. Every 3 years we'll get a console (give or take a few months or 1 year). We'll get the iPhone PS4 model, and then the iPhone S PS4 model 3 years later.

That's not for sure, it depends on the tech. 2020 is as likely.

jjonez18

Thing is, Sony is selling their new stand-alone 4K UHD player for 200+. No reason for them to compete with themselves.

It is going to be aimed at a completely different demographic. Their blu ray player will likely be near a thousand bucks and won't be carried in your regular retail stores. PS4's having a basic 4K player in them wouldn't compete with the ES.

Kathian

Banned
XBO outsold by 44%... only? 🤔

Anyways, the dream of XBO being #1 in November is kinda dead lol

This is one week. If it's tripped sales then the One looks to be performing well. Sounds like a decent start but nothing out of this world.

How does this compare to the 3DS updates?

Welfare

No, most of the Xbox sales of the week are due to old Xbox One units (non S) being heavily discounted for the week.

More like less than half. Sales in the previous week were 24k and with PS4 slim sales increasing this week I don't see why XB1S sales would decrease by any large percentage.

However it would be better to compare launch weeks between the S and Pro, and the S sold somewhere between 20k and 30k back In September, and the Pro sold 40k.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sales of the Pro in Australia are currently at one or better. I have one.

My brother reckons his store only sold 2 on day one. 1 of those was a staff member buying one. That doesn't represent the whole country obviously, but he works for JB

Vena

If I'm being honest I thought there would be a much larger gap between the PS4 and the Xbone when the Pro launched

I think its two fold. For one, people have been overestimating the Pro for a while now (look to any NPD thread) not to take away from the current launch that is but numbers have been exaggerated and that exaggeration normalized over time. And for two, the Xbox has some degree of firesale bolstering sales while the X1S has simply held out well on the long haul.

I think its two fold. For one, people have been overestimating the Pro for a while now (look to any NPD thread) not to take away from the current launch that is but numbers have been exaggerated and that exaggeration normalized over time. And for two, the Xbox has some degree of firesale bolstering sales while the X1S has simply held out well on the long haul.

Indeed all accurate points. But you have to think launch week will be a large chunk of Pro sales. That current gap for the month could be quite easily made up by the Xbox during Black Friday.

Not saying it will, PS4 could even end up more popular than Xbone during BF, but frankly I thought a November win for Xbox was impossible. As it currently stands at least in the UK it's not

Welfare

Indeed all accurate points. But you have to think launch week will be a large chunk of Pro sales. That current gap for the month could be quite easily made up by the Xbox during Black Friday.

Not saying it will, PS4 could even end up more popular than Xbone during BF, but frankly I thought a November win for Xbox was impossible. As it currently stands at least in the UK it's not

Black Friday week has been close in the UK.

Xbox One: 108,678
PS4: 108,087

PS4: 139,011
Xbox One: 133,745

I'd say a November win is dependent on this week more than Black Friday. Pro's second week drop and how much the XB1 will drop.

Norse

If I'm being honest I thought there would be a much larger gap between the PS4 and the Xbone when the Pro launched

Ditto....I mean how long was pro up for preorders? Ps4 should crush xbone in November. December is when this could be interesting.

Black Friday week has been close in the UK.

Xbox One: 108,678
PS4: 108,087

PS4: 139,011
Xbox One: 133,745

I'd say a November win is dependent on this week more than Black Friday. Pro's second week drop and how much the XB1 will drop.

No doubt I still think PS4 is going to win the month. I'm just sort of shocked its even a remote discussion point. I fully expected PS4 to be 2:1 or more this week. That Pro launch is somewhat tepid in terms of raw numbers

Vena

No doubt I still think PS4 is going to win the month. I'm just sort of shocked its even a remote discussion point. I fully expected PS4 to be 2:1 or more this week. That Pro launch is somewhat tepid in terms of raw numbers

Perhaps software sequels aren't the only products facing consumer apathy and lower engagement/interest, heh.

Mario007

Ditto....I mean how long was pro up for preorders? Ps4 should crush xbone in November. December is when this could be interesting.

Did you guys even read the thread to figure out why?

Did you guys even read the thread to figure out why?

I'm not the person that really needs to have sales broken down to me. I fully understand the situation.

Still not a super impressive launch frankly. The Xbox discounts are what is keeping this close, but that isn't a huge number for the Pro

Disagree.

A PS4 win thanks to the Pro is dependant on Slim and S having parity in terms of sales and appeal to the market.

There's a HUGE disparity in number of bundles, discounts and value given for XB1S compared to PS4 Slim. Slim has a one-game bundle at 299 whereas Xbox has like 6 bundles with a lot of them bundles with a collection of games at 299.

Initially I assumed Sony would have a COD and WD2 bundle as well this November to match Xbox's offerings but without that, I consider Nov a coin toss.

Top Bottom