• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Tabloid The Sun - "Will you be picking up a Wii U? Here's 5 reasons not to"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's this about?

There was a crush at a football match at Hillsborough, in which 96 Liverpool fans died thanks to rank police incompetence and corruption.

The Sun ran this front page the very next day. They are trash.

EDIT: I hadn't read the Vita part properly. FUCKING LOL.

Dabanton

The actual points

1. It'll be out-dated within a year

It's no secret that Microsoft and Sony are gearing up for the next generation of consoles, with the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 expected to land next year.

Microsoft even had the new console at THIS year's E3, just in case Sony announced the PS4, so it's likely that the Wii U will be old news within six months of release.

If and when that does happen, expect the price to tumble.

2. Vita masquerading as the GamePad

Little wonder Sony were so triumphant at GamesCom. They managed to up-stage Microsoft for the year, and put Nintendo back in their place by nullifying the threat of the Wiii U.

If you've got a PS3 then, frankly, you're better off buying a Vita than a Wii U. Title-wise, gaming-wise and quality-wise, it's a one-sided match-up.

That said, you wouldn't expect Nintendo to back down without a fight. As with above, the most likely offensive step is to slash prices ahead of the 720/PS4 launches, but an onslaught of Zelda, Mario and in-house titles wouldn't go amiss, either.

3. The threat to all consoles - mobile gaming

£239 on a console? That's a lifetime's supply of iPhone apps.

Increasingly, it's a trade-off that's come to the fore - for the casual gamer, usually Nintendo's bread and butter customer, the smartphone is a favourable choice.

While the Xbox and PS3 can just about see off the iPhone'sthreat, the Wii U hasn't much in its armoury.

The next-generation iPhone 5 is another step forward. Your move, Nintendo.

4. DS + Wii = fail?

OK, so it's a botched equation, but you catch my drift. The DS/3DS and the Wii each served their market well. They knew who they were for and they succeeded because of it.

In many ways, the Wii U is a bizarre middle-ground between the two - and it doesn't sit easily in either camp.

Neither truly handheld in the same way as the DS nor as multi-player as the Wii, the new console will take some time getting used to.

Of course, the original Wii didn't earn initial rave reviews either, but its popularity came at a lower cost.

5. It's dramatically over-priced

I don't think any new console has ever not drawn comments about its starting price, but we're talking about serious money here.

Over £200 for just the console, with games likely to cost around £40 a time on top.

Not to mention the £100 an additional GamePad would incur, while old Wii-style numchucks would cost 340.

It's money that could be saved for the next Xbox or PlayStation because, let's face it, they're not going to come cheap, either.

Every console comes down in price, so we shouldn't linger on the Wii U's starting position for too long.

But all the signs point to a fairly swift price reduction post-Christmas - especially after E3 2013 next June, when at least one, if not two, superior competitors will be unveiled.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-Heres-five-reasons-not-to.html#ixzz26jMtQf5i

Just remembered this E3-pic:

erghregre.jpg

What's this about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

Essentially 96 people were crushed to death at a football match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989 due to overcrowding in the stands.

The Sun took it upon itself to spread and start lies about the Liverpool fans, blaming them for the incident, and claiming they did terrible things afterwards. It was in fact down to poor policing and an outdated and dangerous stadium design.

jonno394

I don't get it, is the sun the equivalent of Fox News or something?

Sorry I am neither American nor European.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_(United_Kingdom)

The Sun has the tenth-largest circulation of any newspaper in the world and the largest circulation of any daily newspaper in the United Kingdom.[1][4] It had an average daily circulation of 2,614,725 copies in March 2012.[1] Between July and December 2010 it had an average daily readership of approximately 7.6 million

jonno394

So are people disagreeing with the points made or just making "lol it's The Sun" posts?

Because there's a lot of validity to that list, and I'm buying the damn thing.

As I said in my initial response, The Outdated and price cuts after E3 ones are pretty damn accurate.

hym

Banned
I bet The Sun is still angry that the 3DS caused so many people to go blind resulting in a drop in their reader readership. Then again in context it's a pretty positive review, surely anything with a display where there was none before has to cause cancer at the least.

Toppot

The only thing The Sun is good for is Page 3 when you are young and discovering that boobs give you a weird feeling in your trousers.

Ocaso

#1 might be true, there is no real way to know 100% for now.

#5 is true, but so is every device launch.

Prior to the Wii, #5 has only been true sporadically. If a console is sold at a loss at launch, as most were in the past, then they are bargains, not overpriced.

Points 1 and 2 are not easily hand-waved away for the discerning consumer. Rumors of PS2's superior power harmed the Dreamcast, so this somewhat similar situation may harm the WiiU. And the idea that much or all of the Gamepad's functionality may be replicated by a Vita/PS3 combo is worth considering, particularly if the rumors that Gamepads will cost $150 are to be believed.

I mean, sure, The Sun, but when they have a point, they have a point.

So are people disagreeing with the points made or just making "lol it's The Sun" posts?

Page 3 is a national treasure. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

The Sun is a pedestal of hypocrisy. But I am rather impressed their counter-points to the Wii U don't boil down to

WHY U WON'T WANT TO BUY ONE, AND WHAT THEY'RE NOT TELLING U. INSIDE NINTENDO'S NIGHTMARE MACHINE.

1. The WiiU gives you cancer. Fact*.
2. The Miiverse is a haven for paedophilia. It's probably confirmed that Nintendo advocates this kind of behaviour too, and the lack of Wii online was just a masquerade to hide the fact that Satoru Iwata is actually a sex criminal. Wii Play? Yeah, right, you dirty foreigner.
3. The Wii U currently doesn't have any advertising involving a British celebrity we can follow like mindless drones. More Ronan Keating please Nintendo.
4. Recently, Nintendo had a system wide ban on M-Rated games. But at the system's launch, you can buy a a game where you shoot zombies a lot, I've heard. And there's blood. REAL RED BLOOD.
5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what we're pushing this week.

2MF

I don't see so much validity there. Look at these statements that the article uses to justify its "points":

Microsoft even had the new console at THIS year's E3, just in case Sony announced the PS4, so it's likely that the Wii U will be old news within six months of release.

Just like the Xbox 360 was old news since the PS3 / Wii were released one year later?

While the Xbox and PS3 can just about see off the iPhone'sthreat, the Wii U hasn't much in its armoury.

WTF does this mean? And yeah, the "iPhone'sthreat" is (sic).

If you've got a PS3 then, frankly, you're better off buying a Vita than a Wii U. Title-wise, gaming-wise and quality-wise, it's a one-sided match-up.

I don't own a Vita, but if neogaf is even close to being right about it, this statement is highly dubious.

Of course, the original Wii didn't earn initial rave reviews either, but its popularity came at a lower cost.

Popularity came at lower cost, wat? Did anyone even proofread the article so that it would make a minimal amount of sense?

It's money that could be saved for the next Xbox or PlayStation because, let's face it, they're not going to come cheap, either.

This after the article compares the price of the Wii U to the price of iPhone games... but I guess it's OK to buy a more expensive Sony/MS console.

8bit

Knows the Score
The Sun is a pedestal of hypocrisy. But I am rather impressed their counter-points to the Wii U don't boil down to

WHY U WON'T WANT TO BUY ONE, AND WHAT THEY'RE NOT TELLING U. INSIDE NINTENDO'S NIGHTMARE MACHINE.

2. The Miiverse is a haven for paedophilia.
3. The Wii U currently doesn't have any advertising involving a British celebrity we can follow like mindless drones. More Ronan Keating please Nintendo.
4. Recently, Nintendo had a system wide ban on M-Rated games. But at the system's launch, you can buy a a game where you shoot zombies a lot, I've heard. And there's blood. REAL RED BLOOD.
5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what they're pushing this week.

Isn't that the Daily Mail's list?

Holy Wars

Banned

2. The Miiverse is a haven for paedophilia.
5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what they're pushing this week.

Like I said, he raises valid points. Your pre-established dislike for The Sun or your pre-established fondness of Nintendo (whichever are valid) doesn't change that.

Serious question, how come does the Sun go out of its way to troll Nintendo?
What's wrong with them aside from being a rubbish newpaper, are they fanboys as well?

I can distinctly recall a article of theirs as biased as this one some time back regarding 3DS being played whilst walking or driving could cause headache.

mclem

They aren't the Daily Mail.

5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what we're pushing this week.

Well, yes. The U's in Wii U were left over from the Game Boy Color. In America, it's just called the Wii , which might end up causing some confusion; would you rather buy a Wii or a Wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom