• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Tabloid The Sun - "Will you be picking up a Wii U? Here's 5 reasons not to"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shink

I love the first 8 comments.
Even though there are things with the Wii U I don't agree with, their reasoning is basically trolling at its finest.

Empty

The Sun is a pedestal of hypocrisy. But I am rather impressed their counter-points to the Wii U don't boil down to

WHY U WON'T WANT TO BUY ONE, AND WHAT THEY'RE NOT TELLING U. INSIDE NINTENDO'S NIGHTMARE MACHINE.

1. The WiiU gives you cancer. Fact*.
2. The Miiverse is a haven for paedophilia. It's probably confirmed that Nintendo advocates this kind of behaviour too, and the lack of Wii online was just a masquerade to hide the fact that Satoru Iwata is actually a sex criminal. Wii Play? Yeah, right, you dirty foreigner.
3. The Wii U currently doesn't have any advertising involving a British celebrity we can follow like mindless drones. More Ronan Keating please Nintendo.
4. Recently, Nintendo had a system wide ban on M-Rated games. But at the system's launch, you can buy a a game where you shoot zombies a lot, I've heard. And there's blood. REAL RED BLOOD.
5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what they're pushing this week.

6. we hacked reggie's phone and discovered that there's no f-zero in development

Serious question, how come does the Sun go out of its way to troll Nintendo?
What's wrong with them aside from being a rubbish newpaper, are they fanboys as well?

I can distinctly recall a article of theirs as biased as this one some time back regarding 3DS being played whilst walking or driving could cause headache.

You could probably pay the sun to write anything - pass them anything and have them print it.

Its not worth using as toilet paper.

mclem

There were rumours about MS keeping the 360's successor ready backstage in case Sony mentioned the PS4, but nothing confirmed, obviously.

Microsoft's press conference came *first*. Would have felt a bit odd not mentioning it at all during the press conference, waiting for Sony's press conference, seeing the PS4 announcement, and *then* hastily trying to get something out there.

Holy Wars

Banned
PC is a much more viable market in Europe than it is in the US, so sure, why not.

Especially as more and more titles are released on PC, as well as consoles.

I'm not disregarding PC as a platform (I primarily play games on PC), but consoles and PC are never compared directly when it comes to hardware, for obvious reasons.

Its at a circulation low of around 2.5m in a country of 62m.

So no.

How is that not still very impressive? The Sun is still read by a hell of a lot of people.

Points 1 and 2 are not easily hand-waved away for the discerning consumer. Rumors of PS2's superior power harmed the Dreamcast, so this somewhat similar situation may harm the WiiU.
You say this, but PS2's inferior power didn't damage it much, and Wii was launched into a market that already had easily visibly superior hardware available.

And the idea that much or all of the Gamepad's functionality may be replicated by a Vita/PS3 combo is worth considering, particularly if the rumors that Gamepads will cost $150 are to be believed.

It is ludicrous to compare a console with the Gamepad packed in (Gamepads not even available to be bought separately at launch) with that of two individually purchased consoles jerry-rigged together for a limited amount of content.

I think 5 is valid, but the others aren't, judging by what the market has shown us in the past.

D_prOdigy

Only console wars + NeoGAF can bring out devil's advocates of The Sun in the most hilarious ways.

>"Hillsborough"
>"But they're the largest newspaper in the UK!"

0Qoxr.jpg

Same probably applies to giving them web traffic, I imagine.

Persona86

Banned
The Sun is a pedestal of hypocrisy. But I am rather impressed their counter-points to the Wii U don't boil down to

WHY U WON'T WANT TO BUY ONE, AND WHAT THEY'RE NOT TELLING U. INSIDE NINTENDO'S NIGHTMARE MACHINE.

1. The WiiU gives you cancer. Fact*.
2. The Miiverse is a haven for paedophilia. It's probably confirmed that Nintendo advocates this kind of behaviour too, and the lack of Wii online was just a masquerade to hide the fact that Satoru Iwata is actually a sex criminal. Wii Play? Yeah, right, you dirty foreigner.
3. The Wii U currently doesn't have any advertising involving a British celebrity we can follow like mindless drones. More Ronan Keating please Nintendo.
4. Recently, Nintendo had a system wide ban on M-Rated games. But at the system's launch, you can buy a a game where you shoot zombies a lot, I've heard. And there's blood. REAL RED BLOOD.
5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what we're pushing this week.
Now this sounds like The Daily Mail. :p

EDIT: oh crap I'm not the first to say this ;(

Holy Wars

Banned
Wii sold well because it had a controller gimmick which made up for the inferior graphics (initially, certainly not long term) 360 had.

It's hard to say if the Wii U pad will have the same kind of effect. My instinct is that people aren't going to be impressed by an interface that is already incredibly commonplace for most people.

I'm not disregarding PC as a platform (I primarily play games on PC), but consoles and PC are never compared directly when it comes to hardware, for obvious reasons.

How is that not still very impressive? The Sun is still read by a hell of a lot of people.

Looking at tits isn't reading.

Yeah, its high as UK newspapers go, but they're an abhorrent publication and thankfully thanks to the internet their entire trade is on the wane.

Erethian

Well as far as I can tell the only obvious reason was that in generations past the games that were released on console, and released on PC, were distinctly separate. And that's rapidly changing.

Especially as publishers start to pursue their own digital delivery models outside of the restrictions of the console manufacturers. EA has obviously started on that with Origin, and Ubisoft is beginning to dip their toes in.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Microsoft's press conference came *first*. Would have felt a bit odd not mentioning it at all during the press conference, waiting for Sony's press conference, seeing the PS4 announcement, and *then* hastily trying to get something out there.

Yeah, I don't believe they actually kept a 720 backstage just to upstage a Sony announcement, but there were rumours about it around E3.

Holy Wars

Banned
Looking at tits isn't reading.

Yeah, its high as UK newspapers go, but they're an abhorrent publication and thankfully thanks to the internet their entire trade is on the wane.

Your opinion on the newspaper is irrelevant to the fact it's still popular. 2 million in a nation of 60+ million people is in no way something to disregard. It's obviously falling because print is dying, but it's still a substantial influence.

Dude, it's high as newspapers go.

They attacked Nintendo though so let's ignore all context and bring up the Hillsborough stuff instead.

I bring up hillsborough whenever the sun is mentioned (although I didn't in this thread) because News International are scum and they got away with their slander for 23 years. You're right, I don't care how popular it is... nobody should buy it, and anyone that does -- ANYONE that does - is a fucking idiot. Complete waste of money.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Dude, it's high as newspapers go.

They attacked Nintendo though so let's ignore all context and bring up the Hillsborough stuff instead.

The Sun can get footballers and managers sacked/fined/what ever...and come election time they can sway some of the readership...

Their affect on console sale and gaming in general = zero

Holy Wars

Banned
I bring up hillsborough whenever the sun is mentioned (although I didn't in this thread) because News International are scum and they got away with their slander for 23 years. You're right, I don't care how popular it is... nobody should buy it, and anyone that does -- ANYONE that does - is a fucking idiot. Complete waste of money.

Jesus Christ.

1) it was two decades ago
2) bringing it up in a thread about some nerd's opinion on a video game console is fucking trivialising Hillsborough.

Jesus Christ.

2) bringing it up in a thread about some nerd's opinion on a video game console is fucking trivialising Hillsborough.

1) Time doesn't minimise what happened
2) Fucking really man? When discussing The Sun, it's perfectly valid. Of course they can criticise the WiiU, and their criticisms can be valid. It's still a terrible, terrible paper, and I pity you for thinking otherwise.

Holy Wars

Banned
2) Fucking really man? When discussing The Sun, it's perfectly valid. Of course they can criticise the WiiU, and their criticisms can be valid. It's still a terrible, terrible paper, and I pity you for thinking otherwise.

The way Hillsborough was reported 20 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with how some random guy The Sun employees now feels about Wii U. It's just a ridiculous thing to even bring up like it's in some way relevant.

dose

hahaha that isn't true is it?!
Well seeing as Microsoft had their conference before Sony I don't believe this for a second. MS would have looked very stupid if they didn't mention the Xbox720 in their conference, Sony announced the PS4 in theirs, then MS having to play catchup afterwards.

Jesus Christ.

From the bottom of my heart - screw you mate. Have you been in a cave this last week? - Hillsborough is fucking current news again.. who are you to say I'm trivialising it? I don't care, its a shitty 'newspaper' that nobody should care about, in any context, ever. They should never be allowed to forget about it, and nobody here should when they link to it either. Absolute garbage.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep discussing it with people like you... so fuck this, I'm out.

2MF

Well...they're likely right about the outdated part at least.

They're wrong about it mattering much to any significant portion of the gaming public, as the Wii has proven (sorry graphicswhoreGAF). The Wii U will live or die mostly based on its brand name, software offering and the appeal of its controller.

SmokyDave

I agree that The Sun is toilet paper but I fail to see how that is relevant here to the point of ignoring the article and just throwing faeces instead.

The fact is, this isn't the sort of press Nintendo want or need and they'd do well to push back against it.

From the bottom of my heart - screw you mate. Have you been in a cave this last week? - Hillsborough is fucking current news again.. who are you to say I'm trivialising it? I don't care, its a shitty 'newspaper' that nobody should care about, in any context, ever. They should never be allowed to forget about it, and nobody here should when they link to it either. Absolute garbage.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep discussing it with people like you... so fuck this, I'm out.
Yeah, you've lost all sense of proportion here chap.

Why do you assume he thinks otherwise?

Dabanton

They're wrong about it mattering much to any significant portion of the gaming public, as the Wii has proven (sorry graphicswhoreGAF).

The Wii launched with a game everyone had to play and it felt rather fresh.

Stuff like Nintendoland is not going to have the same effect and pull imo.

Good graphics or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom