• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Tabloid The Sun - "Will you be picking up a Wii U? Here's 5 reasons not to"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy Wars

Banned
From the bottom of my heart - screw you mate. Have you been in a cave this last week? - Hillsborough is fucking current news again.. who are you to say I'm trivialising it? I don't care, its a shitty 'newspaper' that nobody should care about, in any context, ever. They should never be allowed to forget about it, and nobody here should when they link to it either. Absolute garbage.

You're trivialising it because it has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand. It's like saying a Page 3 girl automatically agrees that fans pissed on police 23 years ago. It's completely irrelevant. Hillsborough and the way The Sun lied are big issues and this is not a big issue, it's some nerd's opinion piece on a video games console.

2MF

The Wii launched with a game everyone had to play and it felt rather fresh.

Stuff like Nintendoland is not going to have the same effect and pull imo.

Good graphics or not.

You could well be right, that would have been a much better point to make in a Wii U doubting article. But this article is trash to such a high degree that it didn't even get proofread...

Bazza

Yeah I just spent the last 15 mins reading it. What a disaster...
Kevin Mackenzie, the guy who wrote the piece, is complete gutter trash and still defends it today.

Although it will mean little, hopefully after the release of the Hillsborough files the other day will force the scumbag to admit he lied.

Danj

The Sun is a pedestal of hypocrisy. But I am rather impressed their counter-points to the Wii U don't boil down to

WHY U WON'T WANT TO BUY ONE, AND WHAT THEY'RE NOT TELLING U. INSIDE NINTENDO'S NIGHTMARE MACHINE.

1. The WiiU gives you cancer. Fact*.
2. The Miiverse is a haven for paedophilia. It's probably confirmed that Nintendo advocates this kind of behaviour too, and the lack of Wii online was just a masquerade to hide the fact that Satoru Iwata is actually a sex criminal. Wii Play? Yeah, right, you dirty foreigner.
3. The Wii U currently doesn't have any advertising involving a British celebrity we can follow like mindless drones. More Ronan Keating please Nintendo.
4. Recently, Nintendo had a system wide ban on M-Rated games. But at the system's launch, you can buy a a game where you shoot zombies a lot, I've heard. And there's blood. REAL RED BLOOD.
5. The fact they're using "U" instead of the word "You" is just insulting, and another snide attack by Nintendo on the English language. Remember the Gameboy Color? It's disgusting, and will no doubt make children a lot more stupider. Or make exams easier. I forget what we're pushing this week.

This has been mentioned already but the points you hit on there are all Daily Mail favourites. Cancer? Check. Paedophilia? Check. Dirty foreigners? Check. Ban this sick filth? Check. Attacks on the English language? Check.

And for those of you who haven't already heard it, here's The Daily Mail Song.

disco

The Sun is only read by idiots. A piece like this would never have been written in a newspaper had the Wii not created such widespread public exposure. If anything it shows (by extension) the unpredictable nature of the 'blue ocean' market. I don't think Nintendo even predicted their previous success. I would just roll your eyes at this article and move on. The Wii U is a safer gamble than the Wii ever was so everything should hopefully pan out.

You're trivialising it because it has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand. It's like saying a Page 3 girl automatically agrees that fans pissed on police 23 years ago. It's completely irrelevant. Hillsborough and the way The Sun lied are big issues and this is not a big issue, it's some nerd's opinion piece on a video games console.

Blow it up your arse. The website in the OP is the same publication, owned by the same people, as it was 23 years ago. It has everything to do with it, because I'm disgusted that any of you would visit the site let alone actually read the newspaper or care about any of its articles. I shan't discuss it further.. I've said my piece.

Dabanton

The Sun should be a banned source, I think The Guardian is now?

It's pure 100% troll bait.

The Guardian? I thought it was the Daily Mail.

As for the article, are his points really that different from threads we see on here everyday?

Threads that go on for multiple pages.

Jesus Christ.

1) it was two decades ago
2) bringing it up in a thread about some nerd's opinion on a video game console is fucking trivialising Hillsborough.

Every time someone links to The Sun, for its gaming opinion or whatever, they are increasing ad traffic financially rewarding a company that blamed the victims of the Hillsborough tragedy with lies, forcing their devastated families to deal with unfounded accusations that their deceased relatives pissed on the police and stole from the dying. They helped create an atmosphere in which the police could cover-up their role in the death of these people. I don't give a fuck if you are okay with their current content as some time has passed, the same people own this scummy newspaper now as they did then, and when GAF links to them, we put money in their coffers. We should be better than this.

How can making more people aware of this paper's role in that tragedy, be "trivialising Hillsborough"? Trivialising that event, would surely involve using The Sun as a source without mentioning its sickening, abhorrent history, surely?!

From the excerpts of the article posted here, it doesn't appear that we are missing out on EDGE level considered analysis by avoiding their website.

SteveWD40

The Guardian? I thought it was the Daily Mail.

As for the article, are his points really that different from threads we see on here everyday?

Threads that go on for multiple pages.

I edited it after I realised, in my tired stupor I type the wrong paper (and in fact, it's opposite)... thought I caught it in time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Since the thread has already been derailed into a debate about Hillsborough; has there ever been given any explanation to why The Sun published those outright lies? Was it just a cheap and easy way to sell more papers or was there some agenda behind it?

Holy Wars

Banned
Every time someone links to The Sun, for its gaming opinion or whatever, they are increasing ad traffic financially rewarding a company that blamed the victims of the Hillsborough tragedy with lies, forcing their devastated families to deal with unfounded accusations that their deceased relatives pissed on the police and stole from the dying. They helped create an atmosphere in which the police could cover-up their role in the death of these people. I don't give a fuck if you are okay with their current content as some time has passed, the same people own this scummy newspaper now as they did then, and as GAF links to them, we put money in their coffers. We should be better than this.

How can making more people aware of this paper's role in that tragedy, be "trivialising Hillsborough"? Trivialising that event, would surely involve using The Sun as a source without mentioning its sickening, abhorrent history, surely?

From the excerpts of the article posted here, it doesn't appear that we are missing out on EDGE level considered analysis by avoiding their website.

Again this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. If the content of The Sun offends you so, don't post in the fucking thread, rather than shit it up trying to turn it in to a Hillsborough thread. If this was a thread about how The Sun reported on a new football crowd death, you'd have every reason to bring up Hillsborough, as it is it has nothing to do with it. I'm not here to discuss Hillsborough I'm here to discuss video games.

hachi

Banned
UA0X9.jpg

Man, I miss this beautiful hand-drawn art.

Ammish

Banned
You mean, The Sun actually has news content and opinions? I usually turn to page 3. (Probably has been done before early in the topic)

The Wonderful 101, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter Tri G Ultimate, Super Smash Bros 4 > The Sun

Okay they are right there will be a price drop at some point but really that is a knock against getting any console early. You can at least count on getting a quality unit from the start unlike Microsofts sabotaged first shipments. I know after the 3DS people are afraid Nintendo will drop the price quickly but with the premium unit that gets you Nintendo Land, it's still a great deal.

As for it being out-dated thats just not the way I see things. I care about the overall games and environment a console has more than anything. I still play on a NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast or any classic console I enjoy. I see the Wii U really becoming a favorite for me with the exclusive games already announced and the direction Nintendo is taking everything.

bomma_man

Every time someone links to The Sun, for its gaming opinion or whatever, they are increasing ad traffic financially rewarding a company that blamed the victims of the Hillsborough tragedy with lies, forcing their devastated families to deal with unfounded accusations that their deceased relatives pissed on the police and stole from the dying. They helped create an atmosphere in which the police could cover-up their role in the death of these people. I don't give a fuck if you are okay with their current content as some time has passed, the same people own this scummy newspaper now as they did then, and when GAF links to them, we put money in their coffers. We should be better than this.

How can making more people aware of this paper's role in that tragedy, be "trivialising Hillsborough"? Trivialising that event, would surely involve using The Sun as a source without mentioning its sickening, abhorrent history, surely?!

clap.gif

faridmon

Newspaper are always ignorant when it comes to the niche hobbies. Always. Just now, I was reading some of the reviews The Guardian was doing on Indie music. That shit was just insulting.

The Sun is on awhole new level of shitiness though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the 'outdated' thing is a little odd though. Wasn't PS3 a year after 360, but 360 still outsells it. Being early doesn't mean you're outdated, but in the case of the Wii U its being a year early *and* being relatively underpowered. If it'd been in the ballpark of PS4 and a year early, I wouldn't see anyone complaining.

Thank you Mama Robotnik for eloquently stating what I was getting far too angry to say.

Again this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. If the content of The Sun offends you so, don't post in the fucking thread, rather than shit it up trying to turn it in to a Hillsborough thread. If this was a thread about how The Sun reported on a new football crowd death, you'd have every reason to bring up Hillsborough, as it is it has nothing to do with it. I'm not here to discuss Hillsborough I'm here to discuss video games.

There are plenty of people here who still want to hold this publication responsible for what they've done, and I think you'll find there are plenty here who would support that and feel perfectly entitled to do so. You can talk about games all you want, lets not pretend this curly turd of an article warrants any meaningful discussion that isn't already going on elsewhere on GAF.

Vinci

Danish
Okay, people need to stop saying it's 'overpriced' before the damn thing even comes out. That's just idiotic. History has shown us the following:

The PS3 was overpriced at launch
The Wii was not overpriced at launch

Prior to the launch of the above products, you would have easily had people on GAF arguing the reverse of both of those historically accurate outcomes. Hell, someone will undoubtedly respond to this post and say I'm wrong.

faridmon

Since the thread has already been derailed into a debate about Hillsborough; has there ever been given any explanation to why The Sun published those outright lies? Was it just a cheap and easy way to sell more papers or was there some agenda behind it?

The sun have always prided itself by being a scum. Nothing else, nothing more. They have used the most outrages way to gain access to places and always report offensive ''news'' on their front pages. Have nude pics on page 3 to sell few more and their football reports are just so biased you want to vomit at the spot.

Horrible goons that shouldn't exist. Simple as that.

it may just be the sun, but their points are mostly valid

To those who were stupid enough to derail Bayonetta 2 thread. To everyone else, they are not valid points. Some points maybe rephrased in a way or two, but all of them were written in a Gamefaqs voice of desperation and stupidity.

Holy Wars

Banned
But..doesn't anyone has the right to comment, if you like it or not?
Mama robotnik strike again, good post.

There's a basic assumption that people post on the topic of a thread, not go off on their tangents about how much they hate something that happened 20 years ago.

There are plenty of people here who still want to hold this publication responsible for what they've done, and I think you'll find there are plenty here who would support that and feel perfectly entitled to do so. You can talk about games all you want, lets not pretend this curly turd of an article warrants any meaningful discussion that isn't already going on elsewhere on GAF.

People are entitled to feel whatever they want, but not everything is about fucking Hillsborough and it doesn't need to be brought up all the time. You wouldn't run in to a thread about Germany bringing up the war.

The Current Bun.

Also, I didn't realise Holy Wars was employed there (at least, that's my only explanation for his opinions on the paper).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

Essentially 96 people were crushed to death at a football match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989 due to overcrowding in the stands.

The Sun took it upon itself to spread and start lies about the Liverpool fans, blaming them for the incident, and claiming they did terrible things afterwards. It was in fact down to poor policing and an outdated and dangerous stadium design.

As a direct result of that article, the Sun has never been sold in Liverpool since. It was that bad. And it turns out, the Liverpudlians were completely vindicated in their grievances.

2MF

To be honest, most of the points are echoed here or on other gaming forums in Wii U discussions...

I disagree, the only one of the article's points that is discussed to any significant degree here is point 1. You'd be hard-pressed to find many people who agree the Wii U is "dramatically" over-priced, or who actually believes points 2, 3 and 4 for that matter.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Vita comment is laughable at best. I love the Vita, but come on. When I read comments like that I honestly wonder how anybody takes these seriously.

faridmon

People are entitled to feel whatever they want, but not everything is about fucking Hillsborough and it doesn't need to be brought up all the time. You wouldn't run in to a thread about Germany bringing up the war.

The fact that Sun was the publisher, is enough reason for ''fucking'' Hillsborough to be brought up.

Vinci

Danish
The Vita comment is laughable at best. I love the Vita, but come on. When I read comments like that I honestly wonder how anybody takes these seriously.

Think for a moment about the sort of people who read this tabloid. Try to picture them in your mind.

Do these people, at least based on your perception, seem like the sort to concern themselves with facts and the minutiae of gaming systems - or what the inherent difference is between buying two products to get an experience rather than one?

That's the problem.

Holy Wars

Banned
Also, I didn't realise Holy Wars was employed there (at least, that's my only explanation for his opinions on the paper).

Here's my opinion on The Sun

It's a low brow paper that is mostly fluff, usually has nothing close to interesting to say and is just dumb, tacky entertainment. I buy it on occasion, but I am certainly not a fan of the newspaper. I find it's writing style humorous in it's ridiculousness and usually smile when reading it. I often read their website because I find the way they report things to be funny in how bad it often is.

This does not mean I'm a fan of The Sun posting incorrect statements about people that died.

But on the topic at hand? It's hardly the greatest article in the world but I actually agree with a few of the points the guy made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom