• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

Buzzi

So what are the chances that Higu project will be halted? Such a shame the sales have been nosediving.

They are not bad imho. Except for big players (mostly due to massive bundles/discounts/memes) like Nekopara or Hatoful, VNs are all in the tens of thousands on steamspy. At every sale Higu chapters improve their amount by 2-3k and all of them are slowly crawling to 20k which is not bad.

A different argument would be Umineko, which indeed is moving slower, but it's not the greatest of the versions and with the second half still pending, 5k is probably within expectations considering sales on their site too.

Things like MYTH have obviously no way to spin them, commercial failures and that's it, not everything can be Morgana (carried by word of mouth alone due to quality). I'd be interested in seeing MG approach on Kickstarter and how other more recent 07th titles perform, hopefully with better treatment than just a translation and bad sprites...

They are not bad imho. Except for big players (mostly due to massive bundles/discounts/memes) like Nekopara or Hatoful, VNs are alle in the tens of thousands on steamspy. At every sale Higu chapters improve their amount by 2-3k and all of them are slowly crawling to 20k which is not bad.

A different argument would be Umineko, which indeed is moving slower, but it's not the greatest of the versions and with the second half still pending, 5k is probably within expectations considering sales on their site too.

Things like MYTH have obviously no way to spin them, commercial failures and that's it, not everything can be Morgana (carried by word of mouth alone due to quality). I'd be interested in seeing MG approach on Kickstarter and how other more recent 07th titles perform, hopefully with better treatment than just a translation and bad sprites...

Fatamoru is a commercial failure too, sigh.

Didn't expect Umineko to sell so low, but I guess with Grisaia and S;G there was more hype thanks to their anime (and they're also more accessible).

Buzzi

Fatamoru is a commercial failure too, sigh.

Didn't expect Umineko to sell so low, but I guess with Grisaia and S;G there was more hype thanks to their anime (and they're also more accessible).

It was, but it's trending nicely (by percentage I mean) and due to MG discounts it matters little if it seels at release or later in the years. Not a success, but a failure for these types of products is below what it's accomplishing I think. The way I see it, if they were able to ask more money to the very same people the situation would be cool, but it's obvius that straight late localizations with no extras (again, like the various KS) can't push the price, and Steam is overcrowded both by [cheap] VNs and games in general which makes it difficult to stand out.

Burbeting

Banned
Still, it would be a shitty move not to release chiru. I have questions arcs bought, but I'm waiting for chiru before putting in the ps3 mods and then playing them all again.

Ban Puncher

I paid for the Umineko and Higurashi games on their release days.

I did my part.

BkL0-XlCQAAKLzL.png

People talking about sales here need to realize that a title can sell a few thousand and be a success for MangaGamer. Umineko's numbers on steamspy are actually pretty solid. Even Fata Morgana was likely profitable.

Still, it would be a shitty move not to release chiru. I have questions arcs bought, but I'm waiting for chiru before putting in the ps3 mods and then playing them all again.

There's no reason to believe this is even in the cards.

I agree that there's simply no reason to consider Chiru getting cancelled. It's probability not prioritized and since it's a 60+ hour game it's probably just being edited slowly.

Top Bottom