• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

Shizuka

mXgrJZ6.jpg

Information:

• Genre: Visual Novel
  • Players: 1
  • Developer: Ryukishi07
  • Publisher: Mangagamer
  • Platforms: PC (Steam, Mangamer)
  • Release date: July 8th (Question Arcs)
  • Availability: digital (Steam, Mangagamer)
  • Price: $25 (Question Arcs)
  • Language: English
  • Direct links: Steam - Mangagamer

Screenshots, reviews and additional info coming up.

Eusis

Interested just because of how avatars and all popped up of this game... But... That original art...

EDIT: Wow.

ss_54b240c365bcdb69f31b3dda81c7c7b423f76f33.1920x1080.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not in love with the brand new art but it's more expressive than the PS3 sprites which is good enough for me. I still prefer the original just for the expressions in their effect in high tension moments. As someone who owns the original on PC and the PS3 version I'll triple dip on this!
it's a million times better than the pachinko art. ps3 sprites are the best though.

Hardly, the PS3 sprites only started getting better in the new sprites made for Chiru. A lot of the expressions have less impact in their respective scenes and dampened their intended effect for me.

D.Va

Neo Member
I remember enjoying the anime for this years ago.

If you enjoyed the anime, you'll enjoy this 3817381 times more.

I was actually going to post about this in the visual novels thread, but didn't get around to it. I'm maybe around 2 hours in and loving it. I need to get back into this.

cj_iwakura

Interested just because of how avatars and all popped up of this game... But... That original art...

You can probably tell from the comparison, but the original art always has superior expressions. It's Ryukishi's specialty(sure isn't anatomy).

jonjonaug

For people wanting PS3 sprites: IIRC this should be easily moddable, so there'll probably be a patch for it within a day or two of coming out.

kurahador

For people wanting PS3 sprites: IIRC this should be easily moddable, so there'll probably be a patch for it within a day or two of coming out.

How does the ps3 arts looks like?

Excited for this as I never watch the anime version before unlike Higurashi.

Holy fuck I hadn't really heard anything about this since its announcement and now it's supposedly out tomorrow? Damn, was I living under a rock?

The original art may not be the best, but the expressions make it so worth it

MilkBeard

Someone suggested this game after playing The House in Fata Morgana. Gonna give this a go once I'm finished!

So far I'm enjoying VNs.

Will buy once it's up on Steam.
Bought the original JP PC and PS3 releases, played them a few times in both Japanese and English, one of my favorite VNs for sure.

On a side note, I also pre-ordered Trianthorogy and Rose Guns Days Best Edition yesterday <3 Can't wait to read/hear 07th Expansion's new effort.

Dio

Banned
Man, I wish there was a way to preserve the feeling that everyone had when Umineko was still coming out, with the English fansite "The Witch Hunt" being acknowledged by Ryukishi himself and having a cameo in the story.

You know, everyone arguing over theories, mysteries and working together to attempt to 'solve' Umineko. That's all done with now.

Spierek

Waiting for a PS3 sprite / voice patch, then I'll pick it up. It's good that they've included the alternative (improved) art in this version, but I really prefer the PS3 art to that.

Sick, I was sad that I spoiled Higurashi by watching the anime so I'm excited to experience this without any spoils.

And +1 for loving the original art, so charming and expressive.

Wow, didn't know this was releasing on Steam. And it's playable on Mac OS too? Neato. Hope somebody puts in the PS3 sprites, will be my first time playing this.

Completely out of left field for me! So excited because I never actually finished it. The anime adaptation was pretty bad, and I only read up until the 6th volume of the manga so this will be my first time seeing it through and through.

Can't wait.

I need to give Umineko another full platrough to really settle my feelings on it. It's possibly my favourite VN of all time but it really could have used some aggressive cutting on some places. On the other hand being overlong really does add to the payoff of the journey and they do actually mix up the narrative in many interesting ways for it to not get too stale, you spend a lot of time with these characters after all, but you don't need to tell me in lenght for the seventh time how much in love character X is.

It's certainly a ride unlike any other and a spooky haunted mansion as a setting is always a win.

One thing is certain tho, the OST is GOAT

Burbeting

Banned
Subscribed. I have read the manga adaptation and the first episode in VN, but I'm still very hyped to read the original visual novel as well. Hopefully there will be mods to add voice acting, as the quality of VA's is really good.

Sölf

You don't appreciate art. I actually like this one more than the remade ones. I would agree with the Higurashi art, because that one is really bad.

Maybe I will buy this again. Playing through it when you already know everything just puts things in such a different perspective.

Chev

That features pic is not clear to me. Is it possible to switch between the art styles? I'd like to support a western release but original art is where it's at for me.

Sölf

~10 hours per episode if you play without voices.
~15 hours per episode if you play with them.

The fuck. The episodes don't even have the same length. Episode 4 has probably double the length of episode 1. I think EP4 alone took me 20+ hours without voices.

exoddus21

Neo Member
Man, this is my favourite VN ever. I remember starting reading it when EP6 was released and was totally hooked. Watched the anime first, I thought it was cool, then I started the VN. It's like... worlds apart, I loved the writing, the whole premise, how everything develops. Wow, after all this time I still read some arcs and some scenes still give me the chills.

I'll surely consider buying this. I want to feel that nostalgic feeling of reading the question arcs after the answer arcs and seeing how different they are.

DIE THE DEATH
SENTENCE TO DEATH
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH

Top Bottom