• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

Rutger

Banned
Ah, I forgot this was happening.

I'm kind of glad I don't have the extra money for it at the moment, because I'm not ready to reread this monster of a series, haha.

I hope everyone that's new to it enjoys it.

takoyaki

Always wanted to play this game and I'll probably play the Steam version over the summer, but I have a few questions:

When I looked into the PS3 version a while ago, there were two games:
-UMINEKO no NAKU KORO NI
-UMINEKO no NAKU KORO NI San
this Steam version is called the "Question Arc". Is this the English name for the first of those two games or does the Steam release include both of them?

Some of you called the art that doesn't look hideous "Pachinko Art". Did they really take the art from a Pachinko machine version and put it into the game or is there more to that story?

If someone releases a mod so we can play the PC version with PS3 art, is running that mod possible in the Steam version or only in the manga-gamer version?

What's your estimate for how long a normal play-through of the main storyline of Umineko will take if I'm playing for the first time? Is this a game were playing with a guide is recommended or even necessary?

thanks in advance!

jonjonaug

No extra chapters planned like higurashi's then?

There aren't any to release. Umineko wasn't as popular as Higurashi was in Japan (Higurashi is STILL getting new stuff every so often). The only thing out there is something like a fandisc that collects a bunch of short stories, some serious and others being jokes.

Always wanted to play this game and I'll probably play this Steam version over the summer, but I have a questions:

-UMINEKO no NAKU KORO NI
this Steam version is called the "Question Arc". Is this the English name for the first of those two games or does the Steam release include both of them?

Some of you called the art that doesn't look hideous "Pachinko Art". Did they really take the art from a Pachinko machine version and put in into the game or is there more to that story?

If someone releases a mod so we can play the PC version with PS3 art, is that possible in the Steam version or only in the manga-gamer version?

What's your estimate for how long a normal play-through of the main storyline of Umineko will take if I'm playing for the first time? Is this a game were playing with a guide is recommended or even necessary?

thanks in advance!
Yeah, they will release it in 2 parts. Each release contains 4 episodes and one episode can take like 10 hours depending on your reading speed.

Yeah, they did use Pachinko art. You most certainly can mod the steam version.

No guide needed at all. There is almost no player interaction so ot's pretty much a "pure" visual novel.

takoyaki

Yeah, they will release it in 2 parts. Each release contains 4 episodes and one episode can take like 10 hours depending on your reading speed.

Yeah, they did use Pachinko art. You most certainly can mod the steam version.

No guide needed at all. There is almost no player interaction so ot's pretty much a "pure" visual novel.

There are two main parts to Umineko. Umineko no naku koro ni (question)(ch1-4) and UNNKN chiru (answer)(5-8). This release is the former.

There was already a hack to put in the PS3 sprites to the older PC version, so I'm sure it will get adapted to work with this version soon if it doesn't work out of the gate already.

You don't necessarily need a guide as there are no multiple paths or anything. You just go straight through, with mysteries that you're supposed to answer for yourself. Looking stuff up is beside the point IMO as the fun is trying to figure it out yourself. There is no fail state in the game, only not being able to figure out the mystery and make up your mind. And for that you can take your own notes, no guide is necessary. How long it takes depends on your reading speed.

thanks! that all sounds great, will get the Steam version when it's available.

nynt9

Always wanted to play this game and I'll probably play the Steam version over the summer, but I have a few questions:

-UMINEKO no NAKU KORO NI

Some of you called the art that doesn't look hideous "Pachinko Art". Did they really take the art from a Pachinko machine version and put it into the game or is there more to that story?

If someone releases a mod so we can play the PC version with PS3 art, is running that mod possible in the Steam version or only in the manga-gamer version?

thanks in advance!

There are two main parts to Umineko. Umineko no naku koro ni (question)(ch1-4) and UNNKN chiru (answer)(5-8). This release is the former.

There was already a hack to put in the PS3 sprites to the older PC version, so I'm sure it will get adapted to work with this version soon if it doesn't work out of the gate already.

You don't necessarily need a guide as there are no multiple paths or anything. You just go straight through, with mysteries that you're supposed to answer for yourself. Looking stuff up is beside the point IMO as the fun is trying to figure it out yourself. There is no fail state in the game, only not being able to figure out the mystery and make up your mind. And for that you can take your own notes, no guide is necessary. How long it takes depends on your reading speed.

jonjonaug

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. There are no extra proper "chapters" like there are for Higurashi. That wouldn't really work anyway, the episodes are directly connected in a way that Higurashi isn't. The only extra material that I would consider important is the "Our Confession" TIP, which I think is on one of those discs. The extra stuff in the manga adaptation of episode 8 is worth reading too. But both of those things are mostly just there for people that didn't understand some things about the ending to begin with, they don't really add anything if you already have everything figured out.

J-Spot

I've never had more questions about something in my life than when I finished this game.

I was terribly disappointed by the ending. Honestly a lot of Chiru was a little too far up it's own ass for me. The first 4 chapters are all great, though.

rrc2soft

I was terribly disappointed by the ending. Honestly a lot of Chiru was a little too far up it's own ass for me. The first 4 chapters are all great, though.

I also was quite dissapointed by the ending, until I read the manga of the last chapter. In my headcanon, that's the 8th episode of the game. Probably I will buy all chapters and replay 1-7th, and then read the 8th episode in manga form again while listening to the OST. So good.

6SzzZ79.png

YWrx7h2.jpg

When They Cry IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
It's written 2014. I've yet seen it T_T

Sölf;209473186 said:
Yeah, seriosuly. I need more When They Cry in my life. I especially need more mystery. Ryukishi please!
Yeah, more R07 mystery/fantasy blend madness is always welcome. IIRC R07 did Higanbana,Rewrite and Rose Gun something but nothing like When They Crystal

Maybe a side effect of changing his plans from Episode 3 on. Chiru was insane but it had a lot of epic moments and turnabouts, even if the mystery side suffered from it.

Rektash

Yep, totally gonna get this on steam even though I own the original japanese DVD releases of the question and answer arcs!

I will probably wait for the PS3 sprite and voice patch before playing though!

Is there any info on how the translation compares to the witchhunt one? Or is it basically the same?

Yep, totally gonna get this on steam even though I own the original japanese DVD releases of the question and answer arcs!

I will probably wait for the PS3 sprite and voice patch before playing though!

Is there any info on how the translation compares to the witchhunt one? Or is it basically the same?

It's a modified version, modified by Witch Hunt. It's supposed to be drastically improved since now they know what is and isn't foreshadowing.

People use(d) to call it it a Sound Novel for that reason, to differentiate from Visual Novels that usually had decisions and so.

People are already working on modding it. Though it's not using Unity like Higurashi so it may take longer.
It's not using Unity? They're modifying the original game instead?

J-Spot

I also was quite dissapointed by the ending, until I read the manga of the last chapter. In my headcanon, that's the 8th episode of the game. Probably I will buy all chapters and replay 1-7th, and then read the 8th episode in manga form again while listening to the OST. So good.
I do want to read the manga at some point. Sadly at the rate Yen Press are releasing them I'll probably be 2019 before everything is out.

Javelin

Neo Member
There aren't any to release. Umineko wasn't as popular as Higurashi was in Japan (Higurashi is STILL getting new stuff every so often). The only thing out there is something like a fandisc that collects a bunch of short stories, some serious and others being jokes.
To be fair Higurashi had the benefit of a successful anime adaptation that helped it break into the mainstream. Not that I'm complaining of course, Higurashi became one of my favorite shows. However Deen's Umineko adaptation messed up so much that angrily shouting the studio's name to the sky actually became a meme among the community.

I do want to read the manga at some point. Sadly at the rate Yen Press are releasing them I'll probably be 2019 before everything is out.
I've heard some good things about the manga. Apparently Ryuukishi considers them canon, alongside the original, and used the manga as a chance to clean up some ideas he had when writing the VN.

J-Spot

However Deen's Umineko adaptation messed up so much that angrily shouting the studio's name to the sky actually became a meme among the community.
Most of the rage I've seen toward the anime has come from people who knew the story going in. I found it to be a perfectly acceptable intro to the series apart from what seemed to be a decrease in the budget roughly halfway in.

Javelin

Neo Member
Most of the rage I've seen toward the anime has come from people who knew the story going in. I found it to be a perfectly acceptable intro to the series apart from what seemed to be a decrease in the budget roughly halfway in.

Now I'm not saying it isn't okay to enjoy the anime, if you do go for it, but as an intro it is problematic because there are mistakes that make it impossible to solve the mystery. For example
there are moments when the anime shows both Kanon and Shanon in the same room as Battler at the same time.
(Possibly chalk it up to the source material not having been done yet.)

deadfolk

What's the relationship between this and Higurashi?

Any reason to wait for Higurashi to finish before starting this?

Taruranto

To be fair Higurashi had the benefit of a successful anime adaptation that helped it break into the mainstream. Not that I'm complaining of course, Higurashi became one of my favorite shows. However Deen's Umineko adaptation messed up so much that angrily shouting the studio's name to the sky actually became a meme among the community.

Higurashi anime was a worse adaptation than Umineko, though. :C It was successful for completely different reason.

What's the relationship between this and Higurashi?

Any reason to wait for Higurashi to finish before starting this?

It will spoil you the secret behind a major character. This said, Higurashi is enjoyable even if you know the twists, since it's mostly character-centric.

deadfolk

It will spoil you the secret behind a major character. This said, Higurashi is enjoyable even if you know the twists, since it's mostly character-centric.

Any idea how far through Higurashi I would have to get? Would the three games already on Steam cover it?

Not much longer to wait, it'll be out on August 28th! Pre-orders are up since I think two days ago.

Already pre-ordered mine along with RGD Best Edition \o/

So I got about 1 month and a half left to learn the remaining katakana, grammar and pre-level 2 kanji kentei. Easy peasy.

But yeah the soundtrack is godlike. There are so many good tracks, associated with epic moments. My favourite are dreamenddischarger, resurrectedreplayer, lastendconductor, TSUBASA and the original opening of the first episode.

I also had it in Italian but I can't find it anywhere now :(

tomasdk

I wonder why there wasn't a new anime adaptation after the games were finished to get the story correct with all the clues and whatnot.

Dayum! So torn. I hate spoilers, but I don't think Higurashi will be finished for years...If ever.

The connection, while pretty nice and adding some flavour to the story, isn't compulsory and unnecessary to enjoy Umineko.

With that said, I understood the connection between Higurashi and Umineko just by watching the Higurashi anime, so there's that if you want to absolutely get it, but I wouldn't advise watching the anime over reading the visual novel.

Burbeting

Banned
It was nice to see that it was put on 10% sale, gives a bit more incentive for people to buy it on the get-go.

It's now downloading for me. How fast can we assume that possible mods are coming?

Shizuka

It was nice to see that it was put on 10% sale, gives a bit more incentive for people to buy it on the get-go.

It's now downloading for me. How fast can we assume that possible mods are coming?

Not soon enough, I need my Alchemist Bernkastel.

Thank you Mexican Steam prices for this game being only the equivalent of $11 rather than whatever $20+ would be with this exchange rate. Bought.

PsionBolt

Nighttime is the best time for Umineko!

I support this statement.
I remember back when episode 6 came out... I held off on reading it for a whole day so that a friend and I could read it together. We ended up marathoning the whole thing, starting at midday, staying up all night, and continuing into the next morning. It was amazing. I had to go back later to really wrap my head around it, of course, but having had six months to think things over since episode 5, my friend and I were thoroughly convinced at the time that we understood everything and could solve anything. What a time we had!

We tried the same stunt again when episode 7 came out, but we didn't make it through the night that time -- one of us made a crack to the effect of
"Those lion statues they mentioned randomly aren't just lion statues -- they're Lion statues!!!"
, and we fell into such a fit of laughter that we couldn't continue reading.

...Man, I miss those days, theorycrafting with friends. Reading Umineko as it came out was an irreplaceable experience.

Day 0.

Love Umineko more then most things to come out of Japan. A great reason to reread it.

Can't wait for Chiru, where it goes from Great to Masterpiece.

Top Bottom