• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

It's standalone but be warned, if you read Umi first it is possible to read between the lines on some Higu references that might spoil some big plot points of Higu.

So with only Chapters 1-3 avaliable on Steam of Higurashi currently, will playing those then Umineko still spoil me on the later chapters of Higurashi?

Knurek

Sölf;209457703 said:
The fuck. The episodes don't even have the same length. Episode 4 has probably double the length of episode 1. I think EP4 alone took me 20+ hours without voices.

I was going by my own playthrough of Chiru, where each episode took 16 hours.
I was no logging playtime when I played through original Umineko, but honestly I don't recall any of the episodes being longer than the others.

kewlmyc

Interested just because of how avatars and all popped up of this game... But... That original art...

EDIT: Wow.

ss_54b240c365bcdb69f31b3dda81c7c7b423f76f33.1920x1080.jpg

The original art grew on me by the end of the first "episode".

cj_iwakura

Also, if this does well, there's a chance Ougon Musou could hit Steam too(though I doubt it since Alchemist was involved, probably the rights snafu from hell).

Forgot this came out so soon. Will definitely pick this up soon. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it from friends, though it'll have to wait a bit for a playthrough with ZTD filling the VN appetite rn.

Mawarup

Neo Member
Excited to see this pop up out of no where. It has been a while since I played the first 4 chapters but I do recall them taking me over 50+ hours. Unfortunately I only ever played the first 4 parts so looking forward to finishing up this game. So the ps3 background would need to be swapped in looking at the screenshots?

Dantero

I feel a little bad asking this but I really hate when protagonists die, so can someone spoil me on whether or not he makes it through the game?

PsionBolt

Holy crikey! How was I not aware this was coming out? This is great. I've been thinking about finding an excuse to re-read Seacats, anyway.
Do we know when Chiru is coming out? I endured the six-month wait between each episode once already, I sure don't feel like waiting again. I mean, I can always switch back to the original for Chiru, but I'm interested in the new version's translation and such.

...Actually, looking more closely, that new art is weird -- it manages to look worse than the Alchemist version. Maybe it's best to wait a bit and see what mods arise.

Geez, so many emotions in conflict here!

Sölf

I feel a little bad asking this but I really hate when protagonists die, so can someone spoil me on whether or not he makes it through the game?

Well, that's hard to answer. This may spoil episode 1:

The whole premise of the game is a sort of meta game: Are people getting killed by a human or are witches killing people with magic? So, yes, most people die in this game, but they also reapper in each game, because it is literally "a new game". The things that change are the culprit, how people are killed and stuff like that. But people still die.

Dantero

Sölf;209459677 said:
Well, that's hard to answer. This may spoil episode 1:

The whole premise of the game is a sort of meta game: Are people getting killed by a human or are witches killing people with magic? So, yes, most people die in this game, but they also reapper in each game, because it is literally "a new game". The things that change are the culprit, how people are killed and stuff like that. But people still die.

That's, uh, not what I was expecting. I thought this had a singular protagonist, or maybe I'm not using the word protagonist right? Thought this was a first person VN.
I guess what you are saying is, sometimes he dies and sometimes he doesn't?

Knurek

This is really one of the least important parts of the novel, but here you go:
Spoiler.
And I do mean spoiler.
Don't click, really
He's in a quantum state through most of the novel and whether he is alive or dead at the end depends entirely on whether you believe that Magic exists or not

Dantero

Spoiler.
And I do mean spoiler.
Don't click, really
He's in a quantum state through most of the novel and whether he is alive or dead at the end depends entirely on whether you believe that Magic exists or not

The Fuck. That sounds kinda cool, though. Will probably get it.
Thank you.

aravuus

Spoiler.
And I do mean spoiler.
Don't click, really

You never get to actually observe if he's alive or dead at the end of an episode?

e: actually, maybe don't answer that lmao. I'm sure I'll finish Umineko myself some time before my death.

Reishiki

Banned
Original art isn't so bad, but I'm used to ZUN-art.
I still have my Umitweak'd versions of Umineko installed (PS3 Sprites + VA), so I might wait until the VA is patched in.

EP5 & 6 are so fucking good with voice acting.

Taruranto

Man, I wish there was a way to preserve the feeling that everyone had when Umineko was still coming out, with the English fansite "The Witch Hunt" being acknowledged by Ryukishi himself and having a cameo in the story.

You know, everyone arguing over theories, mysteries and working together to attempt to 'solve' Umineko. That's all done with now.

That was fun. Probably the only time Umineko was worth in retrospect, given the quality of everything in Chiru and the solution.

nynt9

You never get to actually observe if he's alive or dead at the end of an episode?

e: actually, maybe don't answer that lmao. I'm sure I'll finish Umineko myself some time before my death.

I wrote this thing about Umineko and how the gameplay happens inside your head. While it doesn't contain any actual story spoilers past the end of the first cycle, it does spoil the premise/mechanics of the story. Proceed at your own risk: https://voxelicious.net/2015/12/18/gameplay-inside-your-head/

hamchan

It's standalone but be warned, if you read Umi first it is possible to read between the lines on some Higu references that might spoil some big plot points of Higu.

Well shit, I might not buy this at launch then.

At the rate they're releasing Higurashi it might be a while before I can read this.

Thud

I forgot higurashi chapter 3 came out like a month ago and noticed this as well.

Both are on the wishlist.

Lunafreya

Ahh yes, I read this way back when it was still releasing.

Forever my favorite Visual Novel.

I'm excited to see the steam card backgrounds (please don't suck) and emotes (PLS!)..
I really need Bern ones.

Anyways, who is going to read it with the original sprites?
PS3 is nice and Pachinko is sin!

Eridani

Weird that they're releasing all the question arcs at once whereas in Higurashi they're slowly releasing each episode.

With Higurashi they are basically doing a complete re-translation, since the original was really bad. With Umineko, I believe they just re-edited the very good fan translation. This obviously takes much less time, so they can release multiple episodes at once.

Filter

This is probably a dumb question but, is this available in a portable format? That's probably the only way I'd get the time to play through it.

For everyone who discover the VN : you're in for a wild ride. One of my favourite VN, with a beautiful OST.

Just don't think too much about the ending.

I still think the original plans for Episode 3 were far better than what we got

PsionBolt

This is probably a dumb question but, is this available in a portable format? That's probably the only way I'd get the time to play through it.

This OT is for the new PC release, which is also the first official English release. I imagine it'd run on something like a windows phone, but other than that, it's not portable.

The only portable version of Umineko I'm aware of is the PSP release, which was Japan-only and to my knowledge never actually finished being released (only half of the episodes came out).

Knurek

Steam version should work on anything running either Windows or MacOS, including most of current laptops.
There's also a PSP version of the first game, but it's only in Japanese.

exoddus21

Neo Member
Anyways, who is going to read it with the original sprites?
PS3 is nice and Pachinko is sin!
I'll probably do. I don't really like the pachinko art... watched a few cutscenes from the pachislot a while ago and just wished for the chiru anime to be done (yes, even if it's DEEN, even if I'd prefer someone else).

I have the ps3 game and god it was awesome playing it at launch and re-reading it all again (even if I located my desktop next to the tv with umineko in english to understand it :p).

I understand they couldn't get the Alchemist art in this but I'm really gonna miss the CG. It was really well done.

Sölf;209465311 said:
Please explain.

Basically originally the story of episode 3 was gonna be one that was much harder to figure out than the one we have right now, but because Ryukishi saw that people online just weren't "getting it" after episode 2 he rewrote it to be easier and more hand holdy so that the readers would understand magic better.

Iirc anyways

Gaspard

Basically originally the story of episode 3 was gonna be one that was much harder to figure out than the one we have right now, but because Ryukishi saw that people online just weren't "getting it" after episode 2 he rewrote it to be easier and more hand holdy so that the readers would understand magic better.

Iirc anyways

That's about right.

Tidbits of Land of the Golden Witch were explained in the "My Confessions" bonus game.

It's a tragedy that BT passed away during the production of this VN, as you can tell Ryukishi loses his grip on the core mystery aspect of the game in favor of spectacle setpieces after episode 5.

With Higurashi they are basically doing a complete re-translation, since the original was really bad. With Umineko, I believe they just re-edited the very good fan translation. This obviously takes much less time, so they can release multiple episodes at once.

Oh, Witch Hunt let them use the translations? Neat.

Sölf;209465311 said:
Please explain.

I can't find the translated interview on animesuki anymore but here's what I understood at the time : (spoiler bombs here, do not click if you haven't completely read Umineko) :
Episode 3 was supposed to continue like 1 and 2 and be really difficult, but R07 saw how his audience struggled with the mysteries and decided to make it easier, thus changing all his plans and timing of the reveals (the undergrood vault and Yasu). Ronove wasn't supposed to be introduced and Zepar & Furfur were supposed to appear in this episode.

So TLDR : more difficult mysteries, no Ronove, Zepar & Furfur, and the Answer episodes were visionned completely differently than what we got. Though the mystery game in Episode 8 was cool to complete

Gaspard

I can't find the translated interview on animesuki anymore but here's what I understood at the time : (spoiler bombs here, do not click if you haven't completely read Umineko) :
Episode 3 was supposed to continue like 1 and 2 and be really difficult, but R07 saw how his audience struggled with the mysteries and decided to make it easier, thus changing all his plans and timing of the reveals (the undergrood vault and Yasu). Ronove wasn't supposed to be introduced and Zepar & Furfur were supposed to appear in this episode.

So TLDR : more difficult mysteries, no Ronove, Zepar & Furfur, and the Answer episodes were visionned completely differently than what we got. Though the mystery game in Episode 8 was cool to complete

Are you talking about
the play with Battler's family as the perps
in EP7? I literally had guessed about everyone else before that lol.

True Fire

I'd also recommend reading the manga, released in North America by Yen Press. In particular, the Episode 8 manga adds a completely new volume that depicts the "truth" of the series. It also adds a new ending to the series that I really liked.

Scythian

Really excited for this, I'll probably end up playing this all week.
Price kinda steep though, expected less than $20 but oh well... Mangagamer tends to have high prices and not do significant sales :/
Original sprites are a toggle in this release, right?

AHA-Lambda

Has there been any word on how many episodes will be released for this?
I know we can assume 8 at least, bu higurashi is getting 14 in total after including the planned bonus chapters

Top Bottom