• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

Burbeting

Banned
Few questions,

Can you read the script from somewhere (aka. the lines that you have already read). And can you change the resolution, either?

Both were possible for Higurashi Steam, but I can't find any possibilities here.

//Also, even when you use the new sprites, it seems that the Opening still uses the original sprites.

Kyolux

I have enough pending in my wallet to buy this so I'll wait t'il the funds unlocks.

Don't really have the time for it this week-end either way.

Glad this is finally out in English, I looked into options a few months ago and there didn't seem any ways at that time to actually get to play it in English?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I have enough pending in my wallet to buy this so I'll wait t'il the funds unlocks.

Don't really have the time for it this week-end either way.

Glad this is finally out in English, I looked into options a few months ago and there didn't seem any ways at that time to actually get to play it in English?

Well there has actually been ways for years really the fan-translation has been done for quite some time and this version is based off that ones translation.

Kyolux

Well there has actually been ways for years really the fan-translation has been done for quite some time and this version is based off that ones translation.

oh I know about that.

Just that the base game wasn't available digitally to buy for a while because of expired licenses or something.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
oh I know about that.

Just that the base game wasn't available digitally to buy for a while because of expired licenses or something.

Oh right MangaGamer lost dropped the digital rights for the original version when they had announced this which I guess makes sense.

oh I know about that.

I believe you could still buy the japanese version off of the japanese sites, though.

Alright bought the game, will play it even though it potentially ruins Higurashi surprises.

I read the question arcs of Umineko before reading the Answer arcs of Higurashi, I was not spoiled in any significant way. Reading Higurashi, especially the answer arcs shows the evolution of Ryukishi07's themes and writing style.

Either way, Umineko more closely follows the pillars of the detective novel than Higurashi (which is more just a mystery series), although your first reading of Umineko Question arcs would not make this apparent; the writing is multi-layered after all.

WFkSwQK.png

Perfect image to start the game to.

Hanulinen

Neo Member
If I could erase ONE work from my memory to read it again, It would be this one.

I regret that I ever watched the anime and that during the first time reading this I was young with pretty poor english skills and too dumb to understand the bonkers meta narrative and intertextuality with Dante's Divine comedy.

I even spoiled the final mystery to myself from some stuipd forum!

But seriously I love this VN. It's perfecto. I wish more people had heard of it and wouldn't dismiss it as some "moe anime shit" :(

Literally the best VN I've ever played. More interesting story than pretty much any game I've ever played. Every one of my friends is going to be forced to experience this shit Clockwork Orange style.

Burbeting

Banned
It's always so ridiculous to remember that the Anime tried to cover in its first episode around 4 hours of VN content...

Mawarup

Neo Member
I think I might have to go through the question arc again...there goes those hours.
Anyway was wondering if it is actually possible to solve the mystery(-ies) in these arc with whatever information is given in only the question arc?

cj_iwakura

I think I might have to go through the question arc again...there goes those hours.
Anyway was wondering if it is actually possible to solve the mystery(-ies) in these arc with whatever information is given in only the question arc?

So they say.

All the necessary info is there for the who at least yeah. I remember people with correct theories before Chiru came out.

But yeah the soundtrack is godlike. There are so many good tracks, associated with epic moments. My favourite are dreamenddischarger, resurrectedreplayer, lastendconductor, TSUBASA and the original opening of the first episode.

The main sound guy (Dai was it?) is a genious. Shame I haven't really heard any of his work outside of When They Cry if he even has done any major work.

Like, even the bottom tier songs in Umineko are good. And the soundtrack is just so varied and vast.

There are so many great songs it's impossible to list all the favourites since they change with my mood (dreamenddischarger is GOAT doe). Few others that come into mind are Fishy Aroma, Dead Angle, Answer, Endless Nine, Solitary Deep Sea Fish and the list just goes on and on and on.

jrcbandit

I wonder how long it will take for the PS3 sprites/voicework patch to come? 2-3 weeks like Higurashi? Also, the Pachinko art looks way better than the original, I assume people are exaggerating when they say the pachinko art is horrible/worst thing ever.

Kyolux

Sölf;209575522 said:
Obviously you should start it right now.

Watching SGDQ.. but more importantly.. I have to get up tomorrow morning. I'm going to the Japanese summer festival in downtown Ottawa with some friends and one of my friend wants us to be there earlier than later..

Scythian

Reading this, the intro movies are awesome. If anyone is on the fence about the game, the intro movies are a great way to get excited about the game. It's also a nice sample of the music. Gives me chills still:
Umineko Episode 1 Intro

Taruranto

It's not that the mystery is hard, it that the mystery is stupid. It's basically a
"It's so fucking cheap I can't be that LOL"
type of thing.

I still remember when Ep. 6 came out, sooooo many people were in denial that
a joke theory
came true. Some people still in denial that they made a 3 hours long video on Youtube with an "alternate theory", ME indoctrination theory stile.

It's not that the mystery is hard, it that the mystery is stupid. It's basically a
"It's so fucking cheap I can't be that LOL"
type of thing.

I still remember when Ep. 6 came out, sooooo many people were in denial that
a joke theory
came true. Some people still in denial that they made a 3 hours long video on Youtube with an "alternate theory", ME indoctrination theory stile.
It's not a joke theory and it's not stupid.

You can always tell the people who don't get it. And that guy who made the 3 hour video is an idiot.

ah umineko ... what good memories ... i actually managed to convert several friends to play this when they didn't understand why i didn't want to get out of my house when i was playing it..

They became fans too.

The ends of Vol 3 & 5 will be forever never be matched

Taruranto

It's not a joke theory and it's not stupid.

You can always tell the people who don't get it. And that guy who made the 3 hour video is an idiot.

Of course it's not a joke theory. It's the official solution. But it started as one. Which it's why is so funny and sad. People spent months thinking Umineko solution and it was the cheapest thing anyone could write.

It's like if Teatrice was the real solution to Episode 2.

Of course it's not a joke theory. It's the official solution. But it started as one. Which it's why is so funny and sad. People spent months thinking Umineko solution and it was the cheapest thing anyone could write.

It was never a joke theory.

People who didn't like it called it a joke theory. Then they were proven wrong. The fact that so many people completely got it wrong shows that it wasn't "cheap"

Aaaah the theories. That were my favourite part of the series : discussing batshit insane theories for the whole saga :

Spoilers obviously :
SMALL BOMBS
Hinamizawa virus strikes back.
Rokkenjima syndrome
Everyone is the culprit.
Battler is the culprit.
MY LITTLE PONY THEORY
EVERYONE IS AN IDIOT THEORY which is my favourite and not far from the truth.
Furude Rika is the culprit
The red truths are actually false

Taruranto

It was never a joke theory.

People who didn't like it called it a joke theory. Then they were proven wrong. The fact that so many people completely got it wrong shows that it wasn't "cheap"

One person pretending to be different people at the same time
is literally one of the cheapest thing you can find in mystery literature, which it's why people joked about it all time. The "so many people" didn't get it wrong as much they expected a more complex, original (and less silly) plot twist.

(Agatha Christie probably used it once in all her novels... congratulation R07, you wrote a mystery novel long 1.5x times the Lord of the Ring to use
Third Girl
plot twist. And you didn't even use it well!)

The fact that they were "proven wrong" means jack shit. If Gohda-Beatrice and
small bombs
were the official solution they would still be wrong and Gohda-Beatrice would still be stupid.

Shizuka

I might be alone in this, but we've had Umineko discussion threads in the past. This one is for the Steam release, which only really covers the first four chapters for now. Unless you're talking about those chapters, leave these discussions out of this particular thread.

Taruranto

I might be alone in this, but we've had Umineko discussion threads in the past. This one is for the Steam release, which only really covers the first four chapters for now. Unless you're talking about those chapters, leave these discussions out of this particular thread.

No, you are right, probably shouldn't have brought it up. Though previous pages had post episode 4 spoilers and screenshots too
the OT title is a Ep 7 reference :p
, so I didn't think it was a problem.

(I haven't played any versions of this so forgive my ignorance.) So there's no voice acting in this right? When people mention a 'voice patch', is that a fan modded Japanese voice track that will hopefully be added in the future? Or is it an official English voice patch or..?

Shizuka

(I haven't played any versions of this so forgive my ignorance.) So there's no voice acting in this right? When people mention a 'voice patch', is that a fan modded Japanese voice track that will hopefully be added in the future? Or is it an official English voice patch or..?

Fan made voice patch inserting the voiceover from the PS3 version. That should take another month or so to happen, unfortunately.

PsionBolt

Reading this, the intro movies are awesome. If anyone is on the fence about the game, the intro movies are a great way to get excited about the game. It's also a nice sample of the music. Gives me chills still:
Umineko Episode 1 Intro

Yes! Though, the Episode 2 intro would be my choice to introduce someone to the series. Mostly due to this wonderful, if Engrish-y, quote:
Witch in gold said:
No Dine.
No Knox.
No fair.
Therefore, it is not mystery.
But it happens.
All it happens.
Let it happens.

Once again.
No Dine.
In other words it is to starve.
Starve while demanding the fair, and die.
From extremely early on, it's abundantly clear what sort of game this is.

Durante

The OP videos and theory discussion remind me of how this game consumed me when the episodes were first being released/translated.

Scythian

Yes! Though, the Episode 2 intro would be my choice to introduce someone to the series. Mostly due to this wonderful, if Engrish-y, quote:

From extremely early on, it's abundantly clear what sort of game this is.

Well, that's weird, playing through episode 2, I got to the intro part, and I swear it was the same intro as the first episode, this one didn't appear o.o A mistake maybe?

Umineko, along with Higurashi, are what I consider the standard by which I compare all other visual novels. While I was late to the party on Higurashi back then, I started reading Umineko from the moment it was released, following the English translation and reading the lengthy threads of discussion on the Anime-Suki forums. (I think that was it, been a while). I'm surprised that they have started releasing it on Steam even though Higurashi hasn't been released in its entirety, but maybe it would work. I will do my part to buy each as it comes out, gotta support the game again.

Aaaah the theories. That were my favourite part of the series : discussing batshit insane theories for the whole saga :

Spoilers obviously :
SMALL BOMBS
Hinamizawa virus strikes back.
Rokkenjima syndrome
Everyone is the culprit.
Battler is the culprit.
MY LITTLE PONY THEORY
EVERYONE IS AN IDIOT THEORY which is my favourite and not far from the truth.
Furude Rika is the culprit
The red truths are actually false

The uh,
small bombs
theory is still probably possible to integrate into a comprehensive theory since KInzo was a
goldsmith... (in his head)
. Also,
everyone
being the culprit could be considered true in some respects.

The mass theory making was crazy. I wish I could have been on the japanese forums when it was happening, but my Japanese is still awful.

Lynx_7

Higurashi anime was a worse adaptation than Umineko, though. :C It was successful for completely different reason.

I can't comment on whether or not Higurashi's adaptation is less faithful to the source material than Umineko's since I've never read the novels for either of them, but speaking strictly as a viewer Higurashi's anime was much better. Umineko was so boring I dropped it about 9 episodes in, so I'd say the former did a much better job as far as being an entertaining story by itself.

Then again, I'm not really sure if that was a problem with their premises themselves. Higurashi's small town murderous syndrome mystery just drew me in a lot more than whatever the hell Umineko was going for. Proving magic is not real while being stuck in a magical loop because of a magical witch doing magic stuff or something to that effect? I don't know if the novel is gonna fix that, though maybe the better presentation and the information that was probably missing from the anime might sell me on the concept in a way the anime didn't.

I do plan on giving both novels a shot eventually, but since those are usually really long time commitments it might take me a while.

Top Bottom