• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves |OT2|

jett said:
Leveling up really does take a retarded amount of time once you reach a certain point. I don't understand how Derek reached XXX level. :p

For instance, I'm a semi-regular MP player and I used to be level 55 for months, mostly because I refuse to use those crap negative boosters. Yesterday after about 6-8 hours of play I went up one level. :| And with the 5X multiplier. :/ AND with negative boosters :(

I think my biggest problem with the higher levels is that there's pretty much no reward for so much effort. I really wanted to get to 60 and unlock Doughnut Drake but after playing a mixture of Plunder and the Lab yesterday I made it from 53 to 55 and I realised I'm probably never going to get to 60. From 50 to 60 all you unlock are negative boosters. That's not enough of an incentive for me to continue putting up with SA and lag.

I had so much fun yesterday. I played for nearly five hours straight last night and finally reached level 60. OMG I cant imagine trying to get that far without the 5xCash bonus its crazy and level 80, well you would have to be insane.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
thcsquad said:
Plunder has the potential to be more fun, and my favorite matches are probably plunder matches. The problem is, I've had too many matches where my team was playing it like a deathmatch and not going for the treasure. In deathmatch, there's no way for your shitty teammates to aggravate you.
That's the thing that really kills Plunder. You get all these assholes who are just going for kills throughout the whole match. I score almost all of the treasures, and my whole team gets rewarded for it when they're not really going for it. It's B/S. I should be the only one that gets the money, not my shitty team that doesn't care. Naughty Dog should make it so that your Kill/Death ratio don't count in Plunder so that those K/D whores stay out of that mode. Or make it something like whoever carries the treasure gets the most cash. Give people an incentive to carry the treasure.

jett said:
Leveling up really does take a retarded amount of time once you reach a certain point. I don't understand how Derek reached XXX level. :p

For instance, I'm a semi-regular MP player and I used to be level 55 for months, mostly because I refuse to use those crap negative boosters. Yesterday after about 6-8 hours of play I went up one level. :| And with the 5X multiplier. :/ AND with negative boosters :(
Same here. The amount of money you get after every match is so minimal. ND should make it double cash permanently or at least have double/triple cash weekends every so often. Ever notice that when there's events like the 1 year anniversary/double/triple cash weekends, there's more people who sign in to play online? Usually it's around 40k daily players, but when there's special events, it goes up by a lot...sometimes even up to 60k.

I have not used negative boosters at all once I reached level 60. 60 will always be the top level you could have achieved in the game to me. I'm level 62 right now, but really...I don't give a shit about leveling up anymore because there's nothing you will get out of it outside your emblem changing. I realize this sounds a bit contradictory to what I originally wrote above, but there's a lot of people that do care about leveling up and it's a little bit discouraging to know that it takes months to level up.

electroshockwave said:
That's not enough of an incentive for me to continue putting up with SA and lag.
I'd love to know what it was like when Naughty Dog was brainstorming the ideas of boosters in the game.

"Hey guys, let's create a booster where you only press up and can see everyone in the opposing team in a matter of seconds!"

What irritates me is that high level players use it ALL of the time. Down the Irons pisses me off too, but Situational Awareness takes the cake. It should not return for the next game's multiplayer and I would love it if Naughty Dog would delete it from Uncharted 2, but that's not possible unfortunately. :(

One thing I've noticed is that no one ever kills with the pistol in this game. :lol Every kill message that pops up in the bottom is always a long rage weapon or with fists. I think I'm one of the few people that doesn't use long range weapons when I play deathmatch and plunder. I always get the Gunslinger medal. It's disheartening as I think the pistol is the most deadliest weapon in the game. Too bad people (especially high levels) don't like to take the time to master it's aiming or use it for that matter. :lol

jett

D-Member
It's so satisfying to kill someone who's in the middle of using SA, though. Wish I had a mic so I could tell them off as I do it. :p

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It is satisfying. I'll give you that...especially when all they're doing is pressing up. :lol

I like to talk shit to people that have SA and come out with horrible scores in the end. It's like, you have a booster that gives you my team's location and all you can muster up is 5 kills with 15 deaths? Wow.

Kittonwy

Banned
Don't mind SA too much since there's always evasion, hate to be on the receiving end of DTI.
Indifferent2.gif

So, is the MP in this still good? I only played when the game first came out. Don't know why I put it down.

In it's current state; debatable, some see the changes as an improvement (multiple patches were released)...others not so much. I find the lowered health coupled with lag and unbalanced 'boosters' detrimental to my playing experience.

I say try it out (if you still own it or rent), you might like/enjoy it. But if plan on buying it solely for MP...no, not an experience I'd recommend going 'out of your way' (IMO).

arne

Kittonwy said:
Wherez my giraffe t-shirt?
angry.gif

Looks like tomorrow, we pulled all the names today (there were a ton!) and so far it looks like tomorrow we'll set all the necessary flags - it will take some time.

I was planning on posting a message to our blog and in our forums/twitter once that's happened to take care of any issues.

Last weekend was a productive one. Thanks to the 5x cash, managed to finally reach Lv 60 and get my fatty skin. I'm staying there. That's my peak. I'm not using negatives anymore.

Congratulations on your 1st anniversary, ND. It's been on and off for me, but looking back I have had an amazing time with U2. Looking forward to more special events and of course U3. :D

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
arne said:
Looks like tomorrow, we pulled all the names today (there were a ton!) and so far it looks like tomorrow we'll set all the necessary flags - it will take some time.

I was planning on posting a message to our blog and in our forums/twitter once that's happened to take care of any issues.
Will be looking forward to tomorrow then!

SteelAttack said:
Last weekend was a productive one. Thanks to the 5x cash, managed to finally reach Lv 60 and get my fatty skin. I'm staying there. That's my peak. I'm not using negatives anymore.
Congratulations on finally reaching Level 60! Enjoy that sexy black X. I wish I still had it instead of this ugly pinkish one for Level 62. :(

And I forgot to mention it in my last post, but happy 1 year anniversary, Naughty Dog. Although I may not have agreed with some of the updates and changes you've made in the multiplayer, I'm still a major fan of it and play it every day. To me, it's the best multiplayer experience I've ever had this gen. It's just different from everything that I've played and it's nice that the community is still going strong. Here's to more good times.

Darkatomz

So... is the skin up Arne? Is it just something you buy from the UC2 store provided you were online Saturday, or is this via the PS Store?

Kittonwy

Banned
arne said:

Got teh giraffe t-shirt, thx.
angry.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Arne posted this on the blog.

We pulled a few amazing stats from the Anniversary Event we thought you’d like to know:

* We recorded over 2.5 man years of game time in a period of just 24 hours(1 game that lasts 20 minutes = 20 minutes, regardless of how many players in the game)
* Those 2.5 years came from 1,079,850 player games (10 players in a game = 10 player games)
* We also saw 12,376,755 kills during our Anniversary Event (that’s strictly pvp – NPC kills in co-op games aren’t recorded)
* Everyone benefited from the 5x cash bonus and no cash cap, accumulating a collective $49 BILLION in in-game cash – which would rank UNCHARTED 2 about #70 in the list of countries by GDP
* I only completed 66% of my 24 hour straight personal challenge (total #FAIL)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/22/uncharted-2-giveaways-coming-soon-anniversary-event-recap/

He also mentioned that they will be giving away copies of the UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves Sidekick Skins Pack and UNCHARTED 2 Dynamic Theme some time next week and to watch their twitter account for details.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
* I only completed 66% of my 24 hour straight personal challenge (total #FAIL)

:lol

You know what this means, right arne?

ANOTHER ANNIVERSARY EVENT. 10x cash!

Interesting tidbits for sure. So insane.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
jakncoke said:
Is MP lttp friendly?
Depends. It's not hard to get used to the gameplay and become an average player. However, I'm not sure how the matchmaking will work out for you. Since I'm a level 62 player, I always get matched with high level players. Rarely do I see a low level matched up with me. I don't know how it would work out for a new player unfortunately. It doesn't really matter anyways since everyone has access to the same guns no matter what level you're on. The difference in levels only come in boosters and even then, some argue that you unlock the best boosters at a low level (around level 15 I believe).

Check it out yourself to see how you like it and report back in. I'm curious about your question myself!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Rewrite said:
Depends. It's not hard to get used to the gameplay and become an average player. However, I'm not sure how the matchmaking will work out for you. Since I'm a level 62 player, I always get matched with high level players. Rarely do I see a low level matched up with me. I don't know how it would work out for a new player unfortunately. It doesn't really matter anyways since everyone has access to the same guns no matter what level you're on. The difference in levels only come in boosters and even then, some argue that you unlock the best boosters at a low level (around level 15 I believe).

Check it out yourself to see how you like it and report back in. I'm curious about your question myself!
I tried playing last week on an account I rarely use and mm was fantastic. All low levels and I was cleaning house (think I did 14-2 in that game). I switched back to my regular account and everyone was 50+ again. It seems like the MM balance issues they had at launch have all been fixed.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Killthee said:
I tried playing last week on an account I rarely use and mm was fantastic. All low levels and I was cleaning house (think I did 14-2 in that game). I switched back to my regular account and everyone was 50+ again. It seems like the MM balance issues they had at launch have all been fixed.
That's fantastic news!

I think the only instance where matchmaking gets kind of screwy is when Naughty Dog does a Lab. That's the only time where I get paired up with low levels and high levels at the same time. That's why I wasn't sure!

Fuzzy said:
I love it when people use acronyms that a new user has no idea about. Good job.
And don't you love it when you also don't clarify it for the new user too? Cuz I do.

SA = Situational Awareness

A bullshit booster that you unlock around level 46 that allows you to see the whereabouts of the opposite team in a matter of seconds by pressing up.

Edit: Ha, you already revealed the acronym.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rewrite said:
And don't you love it when you also don't clarify it for the new user too? Cuz I do.

SA = Situational Awareness

A bullshit booster that you unlock around level 46 that allows you to see the whereabouts of the opposite team in a matter of seconds by pressing up.

Edit: Ha, you already revealed the acronym.
I'm a smart ass that didn't want to type out everything you just did. ;)

Phenomic

Fuzzy said:
Situational awareness.

okay yeah I shoulda just thought about it for two seconds, that one was obvious enough. A big derp on my part.

I don't find Situational to be that big of a problem, I mean you have to be on a wall to do it.

Phenomic

Rewrite said:
No. :(

Seriously?! I could have sworn I read somewhere that you had to be pressed up against something, or maybe just push up? Now I feel like an idiot even more I could be using OP Boosters and this whole time I've gone without it knowing. I bought it a while back and let it sit there. :lol

Irish

Situational Awareness was, like everything besides Down the Irons, balanced in the Before Times. Being caught unaware meant nothing when outplaying the other player still meant something. :/

Levi

Banned
Irish said:
Situational Awareness was, like everything besides Down the Irons, balanced in the Before Times. Being caught unaware meant nothing when outplaying the other player still meant something. :/

Mommy, what is that man doing to that dead horse?

Curufinwe

doctordoak said:
Got this game at launch, finally platinum'd it today...my first plat!

Heh, I did the same about an hour ago. :) A "1" in the Platinum Trophy column looks infinitely better than a "0".

Thank god for youtube video guides because I never would have found all 101 treasures by myself, and probably would have struggled using only written guides.

Levi

Banned
Irish said:
I miss you, Vs. When shall we see each other again?

I was on with Bleach and his party in Uncharted 2 last night. I'm on my 360 a lot more lately (Halo is pretty fun) but I check in once in a while to see what my PSN buds are up to, lately there hasn't been any GAF parties in games I play so I haven't been sticking around.

I am going to playing the Killzone 3 beta, I should be getting my code before next Friday. I'm hoping a lot of the usual suspects will get in as well. I'd love to play KZ3 with all ya'll.

Back on topic, do you guys think there'll be a Halloween event? Bleach suggested turning the Plunder treasure into a Pumpkin (lawl). I say Chloe in a Pumpkin Bikini. Or dressing bad-boy Flynn up like Dracula and Elena like a lady Van Helsing (or thinly veiled Buffy the Vampire Slayer cosplay).

jakncoke said:
Is MP lttp friendly?

There are far far far FAR more punishing games to newbies out there. You'll be missing useful boosters, but if you compare it to something like MAG or KZ2, UC2 looks downright friendly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had trouble beating him on Normal.

I didn't feel like the way you had to play to beat him was actually reflective of the skill-set you'd built up playing the game. Once I got it down pat I didn't have much trouble on Crushing, but the first few times I tried on Normal I was so freaking angry.

Zertez

I had a few questions about UC2. I picked up UC a few weeks ago and Im almost done playing through it. I really enjoy the story telling, action sequences, characters and va, but I was disappointed with the shooting and some parts of the platforming. Did they redo the shooting and make changes to the platforming in UC2, or is it the same, just more of it?

Yeef

Zertez said:
I had a few questions about UC2. I picked up UC a few weeks ago and Im almost done playing through it. I really enjoy the story telling, action sequences, characters and va, but I was disappointed with the shooting and some parts of the platforming. Did they redo the shooting and make changes to the platforming in UC2, or is it the same, just more of it?
The combat is a lot better in the sequel. Shooting feels better, grenades are easier to use and melee is actually a viable strategy. The platforming is about the same as it was in the first game.

Top Bottom