• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED 2 now in development!

SonComet said:
I'd like a stable 30 without the screen tearing. Naughty Dog needs to learn that screen tearing is not acceptable even if it lets them make the graphics a little better. The tearing ruins that little extra it allowed them to get.

This. Sadly the Jak games had more and more tearing (from Jak 1 to Jak 3) and I hope the Uncharted series doesn't follow this trend.

jett

D-Member
Oh yeah! I hope it has multiplayer. Co-op would be sweet. The shooting/cover mechanics of Drake's Shicksal are awesome-wowsome.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
arne said:
There's no confirmation.

PSM3 can't read dates for the life of them it seems. Or it's a slow news day and they finally caught up on the year.

The LCI interview they CLAIM is new is from JANUARY 2008
http://kotaku.com/339873/naughty-dog-still-talking-uncharted-2

Original LCI interview:
http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/high-tech/0,,3668650,00-notre-jeu-est-indiana-jones-temps-modernes-.html

I don't understand how the last twenty posts have ignored Arne's comment. Doesn't this require a thread name-change?

Carlisle

So Uncharted is about the search for El Dorado. Any takes on the premise for U2?

The search for the fountain of youth? Atlantis? the allspark?

I'm down with anything as long as it doesn't pull a Tomb Raider 2 and have you fighting your own doppelganger in bleeding tunnels of human flesh. That just strayed way too far from the original game for me to stay interested.

EDIT: grammar and removed spoiler tags

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
jett said:
Oh yeah! I hope it has multiplayer. Co-op would be sweet. The shooting/cover mechanics of Drake's Shicksal are awesome-wowsome.

They should have unlockable co-op so you can play through the normal game without compromising the story... then just be able to have another character with you at all times.

takotchi

Carlisle said:
So Uncharted is about the search for
El Dorado
. Any takes on the premise for U2?

I'm down with anything as long as it doesn't pull a Tomb Raider 2 and have you fighting your own doppelganger in bleeding tunnels of human flesh. That just strayed way too far from the original game for me to stay interested.

EDIT: grammar

That's not a spoiler, it's in the subtitle of the game... on the front of the box.

Oh, and that was the original Tomb Raider.

Carlisle

takotchi said:
That's not a spoiler, it's in the subtitle of the game... on the front of the box.

Oh, and that was the original Tomb Raider.

Actually no, but it is on the back of the box. So my bad. Just erring on the side of caution. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Gibb

Carlisle said:
So Uncharted is about the search for El Dorado. Any takes on the premise for U2?

the philosopher's stone.. which was in fact an alien artifact, guarded by an alien community.. oops.. spoiled the twist :D

kevm3

I hope they make thegameplay more cohesive. The gameplay felt real disjointed... Ok move up, it's firefight time... kill enemies... it's puzzle time. They need to not make it Gears of War with jumping puzzles. Blend the puzzles and fighting together. I want to be surprised by enemies. There was a lack of suspense in uncharted for me because you either fought, or you solved puzzles... It never was you were walking down a dark corridor and some pirate jumped out of nowhere to clobber you.

But I DO expect this thing to have the best console graphics around. Didn't Jak 2 make a huge leap over Jak 1 in terms of graphics?

Pistolero

They need to not make it Gears of War with jumping puzzles

They should be forgiven as they'd stepped into an uncharted territory with this game. You're absolutely right though ; despite its formidable technical qualities, the game suffered some pacing problems. Nothing that a sequel can't adress though. I must confess that they pushed the envelope like no one else despite obliterating all their previous code and getting the game ready for a first year release. I salivate at the idea of what they'll cook two years later with the engine already running.

Ceb

Jack Scofield said:
I'm happy as long as Drake isn't turned into a brooding and cynical character.

I hope they don't throw out Elena just for the sake of acknowledging the cliché of having a new "dame" for each new installation.

Btw, I'm really not sure about the game needing a lot more platforming. If they do add in more of it, they need to make it less linear. Replaying the climbs to the submarine and to the fortress wasn't that exhilarating since it all played out in the exact same way.

The firefights hold up better for replays due to the different difficulty levels and their dynamic nature. If ND can somehow create more open platforming sections, that would be great (maybe just add a simple thing like branching paths).

kevm3 said:
I hope they make thegameplay more cohesive. The gameplay felt real disjointed... Ok move up, it's firefight time... kill enemies... it's puzzle time. They need to not make it Gears of War with jumping puzzles. Blend the puzzles and fighting together. I want to be surprised by enemies. There was a lack of suspense in uncharted for me because you either fought, or you solved puzzles... It never was you were walking down a dark corridor and some pirate jumped out of nowhere to clobber you.

But I DO expect this thing to have the best console graphics around. Didn't Jak 2 make a huge leap over Jak 1 in terms of graphics?

yep:

jak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tohGS5rnm1o

jak 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuVgxYTfyZ4

these games still look fantastic

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ceb said:
Btw, I'm really not sure about the game needing a lot more platforming. If they do add in more of it, they need to make it less linear. Replaying the climbs to the submarine and to the fortress wasn't that exhilarating since it all played out in the exact same way.

The firefights hold up better for replays due to the different difficulty levels and their dynamic nature. If ND can somehow create more open platforming sections, that would be great (maybe just add a simple thing like branching paths).

I'm not sure I agree that Adventure games need replay value, the coherency of the story and experience are key to genre in so much that the first time through should be as engrossing as possible, you're never going to recreate that in a second play through. I think that kind of value is best left to other games/genres.

For me, playing as a supposed treasure hunter/occasional thief, killing what seemed like thousands of pirates and mercenaries was a stretch of the character that damaged the strength of the game overall. Having so many enemies seemed like a decision designed to pander to reviewers by making the game more challenging and artificially longer. As an experience it would have been much more enjoyable with far less shooting.

andycapps

dirtmonkey37 said:
I don't understand how the last twenty posts have ignored Arne's comment. Doesn't this require a thread name-change?

Oh come on. Of course he's not going to confirm a game is in development on GAF. That's going to be a cover story on EGM or Game Informer. We know that they built an incredible engine for Uncharted, the game was very successful, and we know they haven't been sitting there twiddling their thumbs for the past year. The announcement that it's in development is just a formality, IMO. But yeah, I guess you could say it hasn't been confirmed, but doesn't everyone just assume that the game is in development, anyway?

Timbuktu

Ghost said:
For me, playing as a supposed treasure hunter/occasional thief, killing what seemed like thousands of pirates and mercenaries was a stretch of the character that damaged the strength of the game overall. Having so many enemies seemed like a decision designed to pander to reviewers by making the game more challenging and artificially longer. As an experience it would have been much more enjoyable with far less shooting.

Yeah. It was always seemed like a jump going from the reluctant hero in the cut scenes to killing hundreds of pirates in the game. I don't know if it would work, but I would like the platforming and the action to overlap a bit at lease. It would be more in character for Nathan to have to run away at some point, use stealth an fight people while on the run, a bit like 'Apocalypto' but with guns.

I think the question with the game is that can we really expect it to arrive in 2009? And whether developments a few guys plotting the story and doing pre-production or is it a full team working on the final game?

Mesijs said:
Here it is!

Apparently it´s in PSM3 that Uncharted 2 is confirmed in development and probably it will be released in 2009.

So Jak has to wait a bit longer, but I´m happy about this!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really hoping Naughty Dog would start on another Jak and Daxter game. Jak and Daxter was so much better than Uncharted.

I reckon it's something to do with the Strange Relic. It's probably a key item to the next game, like a literal key to an ancient city or something.

FirewalkR

andycapps said:
Oh come on. Of course he's not going to confirm a game is in development on GAF. That's going to be a cover story on EGM or Game Informer. We know that they built an incredible engine for Uncharted, the game was very successful, and we know they haven't been sitting there twiddling their thumbs for the past year. The announcement that it's in development is just a formality, IMO. But yeah, I guess you could say it hasn't been confirmed, but doesn't everyone just assume that the game is in development, anyway?

Well, if they based the article in that old interview... they could still be doing anything right now, either Jak or Uncharted or whatever else. Whether it is in full production or not we don't know, but I think it's safe to say that even if they're working on Jak or something else for release, they'll have someone doing preliminary work on Uncharted 2.

C'mon Arne, give us a "tentative date" for release of any info. :)

zoukka

When I finished Uncharted I said to myself, that I wouldn't bother with the obvious sequels. It's a nice game, but I'm so fed up with shooter mechanics that I think my next shooter will be Duke Nukem Forever :lol

Unless of course they turn it into an adventure game, but that's a bit too much asked.

andycapps

FirewalkR said:
Well, if they based the article in that old interview... they could still be doing anything right now, either Jak or Uncharted or whatever else. Whether it is in full production or not we don't know, but I think it's safe to say that even if they're working on Jak or something else for release, they'll have someone doing preliminary work on Uncharted 2.

I doubt that they're working on Jak, personally I'd prefer to have that series stay as it is and go forward with a new franchise on the PS3. Watching the makings of on the Uncharted disc and reading all the interviews before the game, it's obvious that they planned on making it a series. So I just don't see how they'd be working on anything else.

If a new Jak is being worked on, I would hope/think it'd be worked on by Ready at Dawn or Sony Bend or one of the newer studios.

Again, this is all what I hope for, as Uncharted is one of my favorite games of all time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Android18a said:
I reckon it's something to do with the Strange Relic. It's probably a key item to the next game, like a literal key to an ancient city or something.
Strange Relic was a nod to Jak and Daxter (it was a Precursor Orb, a collectable from those games).

Goldrusher

Firewire said:
I blew her up a bit, but still can't make stuff out that much. :(

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x138/Firewire_02/screenshot_large.jpg

w1wqzb.jpg

some more info on the locations: http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item86179/My-little-treasure/

#5 is not a treasure, but the location of Sir Francis Drake's body (or so they thought ;))
#11 should be 1945, but on the map it's very blurry and looks like 1344 ... it's however possible it's not a year, since that particular treasure is in fact a hoax

Dyno

Drake & Co. got a pretty rich at the end of the last game. I wonder if they are going to explain why he would need to go on another adventure, I mean besides the fun and headshots.

Yazuka

While I think this is wonderfull news. I would much rather have had a PS3 Jak game before a new Uncharted. Well this will day one for me.

Dyno said:
Drake & Co. got a pretty rich at the end of the last game. I wonder if they are going to explain why he would need to go on another adventure, I mean besides the fun and headshots.

I think he is more intressted in discovering stuff than money actually.
His adventure blood is calling him. Or something like that-

Morue

Dyno said:

I remember having read somewhere that Nate was an orphan. Don't know if it's true but if it is, he probably wants to learn more about his past (hence the quest of his ancestor...). So what about something about his parents in the sequel? I personnaly would love that...

Top Bottom