• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED 2 now in development!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Firewire said:
Well I think we all know that another Uncharted will be made, if its actually being made right now, well I just don't trust a magazine to be in the know. I wonder if they will still follow this map that was released by Sony sometime after the first game as a teaser.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x138/Firewire_02/uncharted_map--screenshot_large.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Okay, if the game had locations worldwide I guess I could live with another Uncharted. Do it big!

Firewire

Banned
I blew her up a bit, but still can't make stuff out that much. :(

screenshot_large.jpg

Anybody know what that thing is in the bottom left corner?

dalin80

Banned
please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes.

I must have dies 200 times in uncharted, 10 times in combat 190 times falling off fecking ropes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
dalin80 said:
please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes, please no ropes.

I must have dies 200 times in uncharted, 10 times in combat 190 times falling off fecking ropes.
How can it be !
I liked ropes because they were easy to get !!

Uncharted is an amazing game with tons of potential.

I just hope they can somehow manage to get more enemy variety and boss battles in the game....but given how this is a human shooter, that's sort of tough to do.

Next year we may have God of War 3 and Uncharted 2. Wow.

Marconelly said:
- Local and online Co-op is an absolute must unless they want to be penalized in sales and reviews. I don't think the game needs traditional competitive multiplayer modes, but co-op would make too much sense to not be included.

I know there's going to be lots of calls for this but I kinda hope ND doesn't give in as its likely going to come at the expense of a more tightly woven single player experience. Especially if you want more/better puzzles and platforming (which I agree with). I'd rather the designers have the leg room to flesh out a high quality campaign without having to tack on considerations for co-op every step of the way. Not every game lends itself to dual purpose design.

I think Insomniac has the right idea with R2's seperate co-op campaign, but they're basically a small army and have the resources to handle something like that.

marc^o^ said:
I really liked Uncharted, but the sequel could be a better game with less shooting.

Ehhh? I loved the shooting. I wouldn't want less shooting, just more difficult in platforming and puzzles. Those elements were there, but often were a little too easy. Then again, my friend had a hard time with the puzzles. :lol

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I know there's going to be lots of calls for this but I kinda hope ND doesn't give in as its likely going to come at the expense of a more tightly woven single player experience. Especially if you want more/better puzzles and platforming (which I agree with). I'd rather the designers have the leg room to flesh out a high quality campaign without having to tack on considerations for co-op every step of the way. Not every game lends itself to dual purpose design.

I think Insomniac has the right idea with R2's seperate co-op campaign, but they're basically a small army and have the resources to handle something like that.

I agree with this...

I don't need Co-op in Uncharted, and it would cheapen and restrict the narrative. You'd always have to have someone with you at all times.

I also play Uncharted for the story, and when you have another guy there with you, it can ruin the cinematic experience.

Dante

Private Hoffman said:

I just hope they can somehow manage to get more enemy variety and boss battles in the game....but given how this is a human shooter, that's sort of tough to do.

And Killzone 2 and inFamous :)

Might be the first year we get and Insomniac, Suckerpunch and Naughty Dog game in the same year for the Ps3.

I have played Uncharted start to finish more than any other game.
I absolutely adore it.

I think its got one of the best new charactersin gaming to be introduced
this gen as well as graphics that far and away trump everything else.

The idea of getting to play a sequel with a development schedule not
constantly thrown into array because of learning new technology
and building a engine from scratch and getting to have some multiplayer
makes this my most anticipated game yet.

dalin80 said:

How do you manage to fall of the ropes?

jmonteiro

dalin80 said:

Next time play it in Hard or Crushing ;-)

I just beat it in Crushing for the 2nd time and I can tell you that ropes were the least of my problems (damn pirates :lol )

Crushing = Pretty amazing AI

DrPirate

Banned
Private Hoffman said:

I came.

I'm a total 100% shameless God of War fanboy. Not to mention Uncharted is my new favorite franchise, those 2 games would be the end of me.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Private Hoffman said:
I agree with this...

I don't need Co-op in Uncharted, and it would cheapen and restrict the narrative. You'd always have to have someone with you at all times.

I also play Uncharted for the story, and when you have another guy there with you, it can ruin the cinematic experience.

I disagree, I think Co-op would be a nice option to have. They don't need to make it affect the single player in any way, but just let me play through the game as it is with a friend. Maybe add some difficulty in adding some enemies or something. Sony has to have the netcode lying around, so it would just be fun to have that and I think Uncharted is perfectly suited for Co-op in that big chunks of the first game already had you playing with an AI partner for parts of the game.

drakesfortune said:
I disagree, I think Co-op would be a nice option to have. They don't need to make it affect the single player in any way, but just let me play through the game as it is with a friend. Maybe add some difficulty in adding some enemies or something. Sony has to have the netcode lying around, so it would just be fun to have that and I think Uncharted is perfectly suited for Co-op in that big chunks of the first game already had you playing with an AI partner for parts of the game.
They could always do what Insomniac is doing with R2 and have a separate campaign for Co-op.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beelzebozo said:
next-gen needs good platformers. i lament with you, brother.

maybe sucker punch will make a new sly cooper. otherwise the mantle is left to nintendo with mario galaxy and insomniac with ratchet & clank.

Ratchet is more third person shooter than platformer. Hell Jak devolved from an awesome platformer to a GTA/Ratchet ripoff. If they make a true platformer I will be all for it, but if its like 2 and 3, I'll take the superior Ratchet

Kittonwy

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
They could always do what Insomniac is doing with R2 and have a separate campaign for Co-op.

No, I don't want non-story-driven 8 player co-op in UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif

They should concentrate on making the best single player campaign ever.
angry.gif

kenta

Has no PEINS
Kittonwy said:
No, I don't want non-story-driven 8 player co-op in UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif

They should concentrate on making the best single player campaign ever.
angry.gif
Dude it's 2009. Time to get every game online in some way or another, single-player campaigns are awesome but they're not enough anymore

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sankt-Antonio said:
just bought the game used - like it a lot so far
just hope there will be more different locations to explore.
The game don't skimp, there is plenty of variety in the locales.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kenta said:
Dude it's 2009. Time to get every game online in some way or another, single-player campaigns are awesome but they're not enough anymore

I knew there was something missing from Wario Land Shake

Seriously thats retarded

Timbuktu

I didn't quite realize how much gaf loves this game. A multipage thread when there was a 'rumor' that there would be a sequel and now another one with a confirmation and no details at all? And where did the 2009 date come from?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I was actually more looking forward to a proper Jak sequel. Honestly, I appreciated Uncharted for two qualities: the game's spectacular looks and Hennig's well-delivered narrative. The puzzles were not puzzles and the platforming was sorriest excuse for a Tomb Raider-and-Prince-of-Persia imitation I've ever seen. Even the gunplay could easily be considered to have been outdone by the prior year's Gears of War. Overall, Uncharted, like it's protagonist Nathan Drake, was a jack-of-all-trades; it's just a shame that it wasn't a particularly talented jack.

Still, it was a moderately enjoyable ride altogether. I'll admit: I'm not sure if I should be excited that Naughty Dog is iterating on the solid game they had with Uncharted for a hopefully more competent "jack" or if I should be disappointed that they aren't focusing their efforts on a brand new game whose prequels, I felt, were of a much higher quality than Uncharted. The Jak games were some of my favorite games of the last generation of consoles, so this indecision could just be my bias being rekindled by the "videos of The Lost Frontier" surfacing on the web just a few days ago (for me at least).

Good luck to whatever Naughty Dog is working on. Hey, if I make it to USC next year, I'll see if I can sign up for some of the game-design classes that are apparently being taught by a few members of the Naughty Dog staff. If anyone here works at Naughty Dog: who's teaching the class(es)? Does Evan Wells give any lectures?

arne

Timbuktu said:
I didn't quite realize how much gaf loves this game. A multipage thread when there was a 'rumor' that there would be a sequel and now another one with a confirmation and no details at all? And where did the 2009 date come from?

There's no confirmation.

PSM3 can't read dates for the life of them it seems. Or it's a slow news day and they finally caught up on the year.

The LCI interview they CLAIM is new is from JANUARY 2008
http://kotaku.com/339873/naughty-dog-still-talking-uncharted-2

Original LCI interview:
http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/high-tech/0,,3668650,00-notre-jeu-est-indiana-jones-temps-modernes-.html

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
More adventure/less gunfight please.

marc^o^ said:
I really liked Uncharted, but the sequel could be a better game with less shooting.

I'd say the game would be better with less plastic looking environments, look more like the new Tomb Raider.

On second thought, nevermind - I'll stick with Lara.

Salazar

kenta said:

They'll get less awesome if you take bogus, vague prerequisites like getting a game 'online in some way or another' into development.

Nafai1123

Banned
kenta said:

Yea, turned out well for The Darkness. Not every game needs single player.

....but I do think co-op would be awesome.

Replicant

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'd say the game would be better with less plastic looking environments, look more like the new Tomb Raider.

On second thought, nevermind - I'll stick with Lara.

What are you talking about? Lara looks like an old hag who gets lots of collagen and botox injection. You call that not 'plastic-looking'?

Raziel

hmm this seems like it was a bit of a foregone conclusion but cool to have confirmation i guess. the one thing, first and foremost, that needs to be addressed is enemy variety. there was a grand total of 3 different enemies in the first game - pirate, merc, and spaniard.

RobertM

arne said:
I do. Everybody here knows the gaf comments and feedback. Can't say if collectively we'll pay attention, but the team is stubborn like that ;)

Some folks need to learn how to fact check though. If that video is indeed from the latest issue of PSM3, the mag has just discovered a year old interview.
Holy shit, I thought you still worked at Sierra.

Top Bottom