• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED 2 now in development!

jax (old)

Banned
Doubledex said:
I LOVE Uncharted, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHERE IS MY NEXT-GAN JAK????????????

I hate the frachise. Fuck no. Ugly and done better by insomniac.

Uncharted 2 + new franchise please!

Jax said:

I'd say behind God of War II, Jak 3 was one of the most graphically advanced games on the PS2.

Have you even played a Jak game with that ignorant statement?

Facism

Uncharted, best ps3 game so far this gen. There is no argument to make.

MGS4 felt like a grind compared to Uncharted.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
YAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fantastic news indeed!!!!! My only hope is it at looks as good as the first one with NO screen tearing, and has a story that's as good as the first one.

Rainy Dog

Great if inevitable news. My fingers are crossed for :-

More Platforming
More Exploration
More Puzzle Solving
More Expansive Environments
More Variety
More Than 30% of the PS3's Power Utilised
:p

Ironballs

Sol.. said:
somewhere he just exploded in a fit of nerd happiness...or as i call it nappiness....wait a minute

*gets sucked into a reverse reverse reverse racism time rip in space in time*

dogrolle.jpg

sspeedy

Igo said:
Sure there's a lot of room for Uncharted to grow but it was one of the most enjoyable games i've played in years. It left me a lot more satisfied than MGS4 did even though I consider that to be a better game.

Two things though, if I shoot someone in the head I want them to die 100% of the time. Secondly, even though I started the game on normal it took me all of 5 minutes to realize I should switch to hard, and when I beat the game I didn't unlock the medal for playing on hard. Had to play through a 2nd time to unlock crushing. I was not pleased.

I'm not even much of a gamer anymore, but this is one of the best games I've ever played. From the moment the action began, I couldn't stop playing it. That's coming from someone who hates shooters.. but omG yes! Do we have screenshots yet? Loved the script, the action... was almost perfection. I didn't care for those creatures, but whatever, they were more towards end of the game. weee. joy! :D

Pachimari

So what would make this sequel a better game for me:

- Less shooting, more platforming, harder puzzles; a 30,40,30 %. [not likely]
- Bring in stealth. Not the half-assed stuff, but let us go through areas without being automaticly spotted. [might not happen]
- Improved water effects [likely]
- Improved fighting. I absolutly loved the fighting but some others didn't, so they will probably look into this aspect of the game. [likely]
- New cover animations as seen in the abandoned Eight Days demonstration mixed with Naughty Dog's technology [undecided]
- Gore isn't needed and won't be included. [not likely]
- I actually think they will go with more mutated monsters but I hope not [likely]

andycapps said:
You would buy a system for only one game?
I bought a Nintendo Gamecube only because of Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes. And even though I have a PS3 at home, I bought another PS3 on vacation as I had to play Metal Gear Solid 4 at release.

DrPirate

Banned
Dante said:
The eventual screens will make my eyes melt...

This. I can't wait.

Sadly, the Gears 2 Comparisons to Uncharted 2 screenshots will kill the party, but still, I can't wait to see Uncharted 2 in motion.

I really hope this game has some urban environments. Too many games are set in the jungle/forest settings. Set in a modern urban area and learn from Die Hard now.

Yeah, they should just base the game on Die Hard 1 and 3. That would be great.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Best news ever. I was always worrying a bit they would be working on another Jak game, but good to hear it's not the case.

Linkzg said:
I really hope this game has some urban environments. Too many games are set in the jungle/forest settings. Set in a modern urban area and learn from Die Hard now.
You have got to be kidding... There's probably 10x more games set in some kind of urban setting compared to wilderness setting.

BeeDog

Linkzg said:

Yeah, they should just base the game on Die Hard 1 and 3. That would be great.

Sort of like the Da Vinci Code/Angels & Demons, but good? Would definitely kick ass if executed well.

GeoramA

Fuck Jak, I'll take another adventure with Drake, Elena, and Sully anyday.

Well just Drake actually, the other two are expendable. :)

bluemax

Banned
jett said:
*kitton signal*

I wonder what kind of improvements/changes will they make to the game. Hopefully it's not just more of the same, like that other third-person shooter.

I hear they're adding moving platforms this time!

FirewalkR

DrPirate said:
This. I can't wait.

Sadly, the Gears 2 Comparisons to Uncharted 2 screenshots will kill the party, but still, I can't wait to see Uncharted 2 in motion.

Given what they accomplished with their 1st-gen engine for the PS3, and the fact that Gears 2 doesn't seem that different from the 1st (better framerate, more stuff, slightly better lighting), I think they might show something beyond such comparisons. But perhaps I'm blindly trusting ND too much, who knows...

(Alan Wake might be more of a new standard for tech comparison though, given Remedy's background. We'll see in a few days. :D)

Jax said:

This. In a world with Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter are redundant.

Uncharted 2 ftw. I'm pre-ordering that baby. Instant + points for PS3, there. None of my PS3 owning friends have Uncharted yet >=0 I keep telling them to buy it.

jiggle

Please have
more mysticism, more puzzle, more story, more platforming, playable Elena
less shooting
no aliens and vine swinging with monkeys

Tiktaalik

I wonder if I'm the only person that thought this after playing Uncharted, but I don't actually think Uncharted is that well suited to being a franchise.

They basically completely wrapped up the entire story at the end and it was completely satisfying. Uncharted was great, but I don't really feel like playing any more adventures in that universe. It kinda always felt like a one off game to me. Of course right now it's impossible to pitch a game concept as anything but a franchise.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
andycapps said:
Littlebigplanet is the last platformer you'll ever need. The levels that people have created thus far could keep you busy for quite some time.
LittleBigPlanet is miles away from platformers like we know them.

Android18a said:
This. In a world with Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter are redundant.

Uncharted 2 ftw. I'm pre-ordering that baby. Instant + points for PS3, there. None of my PS3 owning friends have Uncharted yet >=0 I keep telling them to buy it.

I don't know, if Naughty could produce as fast as Insomniac, it would be nice to have an "Uncharted/Ratchet" every two year and "Resistance/Jak" each other years :D

Menaged

Just throw in some more jeep chases and I'm there.
That part was so awesome in every way - sound, graphics (!!) and of course gameplay.

Marconelly said:
You have got to be kidding... There's probably 10x more games set in some kind of urban setting compared to wilderness setting.

A good looking game set around modern day locations? nope, not many of them.

Maybe not the whole game, but a section of it would be great. My favorite section of Tomb Raider Legend was the brief bit in that modern building.

BeeDog said:
Sort of like the Da Vinci Code/Angels & Demons, but good? Would definitely kick ass if executed well.

That could work.

andycapps

Teetris said:
LittleBigPlanet is miles away from platformers like we know them.

True, it's more like old Mario. You must be talking about 3D platformers.

Anastacio said:
I bought a Nintendo Gamecube only because of Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes. And even though I have a PS3 at home, I bought another PS3 on vacation as I had to play Metal Gear Solid 4 at release.

Wow, I guess I've never had that kind of a luxury to be able to buy a platform based on one game. I've always been the type that had to wait until enough games were out on a system to justify me buying that system. So I don't really understand people that buy a system for one game and then sell it, especially when there's lots of other good games for the system. Anyway, just didn't understand why someone would buy a PS3 just for a new Jak game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Things the sequel realistically needs:

- More scenes that mix shooting and platforming, or encourage you to take advantage of platforms and terrain. There have been some in the first game, and you could always do it as a show-off even if there was no real need for it, but more would be welcome. This shouldn't come at the expense of open field battles where the AI can shine, though.

- Local and online Co-op is an absolute must unless they want to be penalized in sales and reviews. I don't think the game needs traditional competitive multiplayer modes, but co-op would make too much sense to not be included.

- Beter/Harder puzzles should be a must. Watch and learn how it's done in GoW and especially GoW2. Those two also passed through stages of focus testing, and the puzzles didn't get dumbed down. It would be wise to make the puzzle difficulty selectable like in some old adventure games, and also to make puzzles that are difficult to figure out, but quick to execute when you know the solution (important for replayability)

- Lastly, exchange some graphics tech with guys from Media Molecule, Guerrilla or Evolution or Ninja Theory. The first game looked outstanding, but some aspects can still be made to look better (and have been demonstrated as such)

Linkzg said:
A good looking game set around modern day locations? nope, not many of them.

Maybe not the whole game, but a section of it would be great. My favorite section of Tomb Raider Legend was the brief bit in that modern building.
Yeah, I have to agree, something like that would be nice, I liked that section in Legend as well. I also liked the whole town section in TR: AoD.

The first game was the PERFECT mix of shooting and platforming imo. What i would love is a MIX of the two more - just imagine hanging off the edge of a cliff and grappling the guy and tossing him off the cliff, i guess similar to splinter cell.

Whatever ND decide to do with this game will make me even happier i own a PS3.

Edit:
In fact Marconelly hit my wants on the head, just give me this list and I'll be satisfied. :D
Marconelly said:
Things the sequel realistically needs:

- More scenes that mix shooting and platforming, or encourage you to take advantage of platforms and terrain. There have been some in the first game, and you could always do it as a show-off even if there was no real need for it, but more would be welcome. This shouldn't come at the expense of open field battles where the AI can shine, though.

- Local and online Co-op is an absolute must unless they want to be penalized in sales and reviews. I don't think the game needs traditional competitive multiplayer modes, but co-op would make too much sense to not be included.

- Beter/Harder puzzles should be a must. Watch and learn how it's done in GoW and especially GoW2. Those two also passed through stages of focus testing, and the puzzles didn't get dumbed down. It would be wise to make the puzzle difficulty selectable like in some old adventure games, and also to make puzzles that are difficult to figure out, but quick to execute when you know the solution (important for replayability)

- Lastly, exchange some graphics tech with guys from Media Molecule, Guerrilla or Evolution or Ninja Theory. The first game looked outstanding, but some aspects can still be made to look better (and have been demonstrated as such)

andycapps said:
True, it's more like old Mario. You must be talking about 3D platformers.

I disagree. I actually think LBP is a 3D platformer turned on it's side. Very reminiscent of those levels from Super Mario Galaxy.

And I think that instead of saying that there should be sections allocated to platforming and others to shooting that they should try and combine them. Look at Infamous and how you have change based on the platforming you are currently doing. Even Uncharted 1 had bits where you would be hanging off something or climbing as you engaged enemies. Having platforming in the active combat would be great, but it would also require a change with the AI. I want a gunfight with some enemies across an area trying to pin me down with suppressive fire where my options are either wait it out, go head on and take damage, or climb around that area and sneak up from behind.

Zophar

Linkzg said:
I'd be down with a little bit like that but not too much. Maybe an introduction level in an urban environment relevant to the setting. For example, if we're hunting an Aztec legend, start off in Mexico City or some copycat location and work your way towards the ruins.

andycapps

Linkzg said:
I disagree. I actually think LBP is a 3D platformer turned on it's side. Very reminiscent of those levels from Super Mario Galaxy.

From the hours I've spent with it, it seems to have more in common with 2D platformers than 3D platformers. That's just a personal opinion I guess, but I'm in love with the game, so I guess I'm a bit biased. I look at it more as the direction I wish the Mario franchise was at now (and that's just personal opinion again).

Really hope they change up the formula for this one, give me open maps with real exploration, the ai is good enough to handle 3 dimensional combat. With that the game can go from being good to great.

Zophar said:
I'd be down with a little bit like that but not too much. Maybe an introduction level in an urban environment relevant to the setting. For example, if we're hunting an Aztec legend, start off in Mexico City or some copycat location and work your way towards the ruins.

As cliche and fan fiction-y as this seems, I envisioned the sequel opening at a party (imagine Die Hard) for Elena's new book about the events from the first book. You learn that you were forced to give up all that treasure you got at the end to various museums and things like that blah blah blah. Sometime during this party these guys break in and start holding everyone hostage for some reason or the other, then you as Nathan Drake have to stop them. Basically Die Hard. Die Hard. DIE HARD.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNS

Top Bottom