• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Among Thieves release date, box-art and pre-order incentives announced

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
VOOK said:
Aussie Box

28l413q.jpg

:lol :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
KillerAJD said:
I like the box-art, can't wait for the game....however...
4hd4lg.jpg

the FUCK is THAT? Arne, you disappoint us...

Dammit I can't unsee it. That little freaking spot is going to cause me to order the EU version.

Unless ND decides to make up for this box art blunder by giving us what we all want, a LE or CE edition. I cried like a girl when I found out the media kit wasn't an LE for the first release I don't want to again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the PAL LBP box art is amazing when you actually see it in person. the entire box, from the inside/back cover to the disc to the instruction manual, is really well designed.

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
the PAL LBP box art is amazing when you actually see it in person. the entire box, from the inside/back cover to the disc to the instruction manual, is really well designed.
I have it in person, it's very consistent, true, but purely on the front covers, I prefer the US one. Though I don't have a US version, so I don't know about the rest of it.

-viper-

Banned
That boxart looks crap. And it's going to look worse with that PSN circle printed on :[

Why the hell haven't they just used the same template as those US covers?

Oh and those preorder bonuses are stupid as fk. Ingame boosters? Accelerated currency and bonuses?

deepbrown

RbBrdMan said:
Dammit I can't unsee it. That little freaking spot is going to cause me to order the EU version.

Unless ND decides to make up for this box art blunder by giving us what we all want, a LE or CE edition. I cried like a girl when I found out the media kit wasn't an LE for the first release I don't want to again.
Makes it look like a photoshopped box rather than the real one.

-Winnie-

Rez said:

There's something about the soul-less look in Sackboy's eyes and the fleshy look of his body on the PAL cover that's kind of unnerving and scary... could just be me, though.

I always liked this cover. Sucks that they didn't use it anywhere.
61ukHLM7QeL._SS400_.jpg

Massa

Goldrusher said:
You know it'll happen. :(

Whoever came up with that PRINTED sticker thing deserves a kick in the groin.

Probably the same idiot who came up with the design for "Platinum Hits". :-/

701866-rfomplat_super.jpg

vs

resistance_greatest_hits.jpg

Massa said:

vs

Ergh yeah I hate the yellow platinum covers. I would rather buy a second hand copy than a platinum, if only for the cover.

DigiMish

The box art looks cool - more in your face than Uncharted, which is good.

My guess is that the Revenge perk is similar to Martyrdom, or something that gives you a chance to kill an opponent after you yourself died.

I don't really understand the people saying that it's not fair to those that don't preorder it and don't get it at the start - you'll eventually get it - and I'm pretty sure many will have it anyways by the time you get online - preorder bonus or not.

I'm just amped to get my hands on this game like everyone else. Am I right?:D

Goldrusher said:
Whoever came up with that PRINTED sticker thing deserves a kick in the groin.

51sZ3vSRDtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Though on the PAL-Steelbook-Version they are all printed on that removable transparent plastic thingy, even the name of the game :lol

in general an awesome solution for CEs.

@Topic: I don't really like that Coverart, so I hope for a different PAL-Cover (and a Steelbook/CE which includes some of the US-preorder-stuff)
Oh and I don't like this Preorder-Strategy with shop-specific-bonuses, imo absolutely annoying/ridiculous.

Guys...
I dreamt this came out in Europe today, months ahead of America, and that I was loving it, while the thread filled with non-stop posting crying out your hatred for you cross-the-Atlantic brothers.

:lol
I have a problem.

alba said:
They would've announced it along this (which would be the logical step). I want to be proven wrong so... I'll wait for that :p

The only other time I can see maybe an announcement of a surprise Special Edition would be this week at the Con, since they said they have something "BRAND NEW" to show. Other than that it seems unlikely :(

deepbrown said:
Would that happen to be a toy? I'm confused. They say on the Playstation.Blog that it's vinyl, but I don't know what that means. The fact that it is eyeless seems weird to me. They look cool, but they kind of look like zombie drakes.

Loudninja

lastinline said:
Would that happen to be a toy? I'm confused. They say on the Playstation.Blog that it's vinyl, but I don't know what that means. The fact that it is eyeless seems weird to me. They look cool, but they kind of look like zombie drakes.

Lastly, for the collectors out there, I am happy to tell you that we have entered a partnership with ESC-Toys to create Nathan Drake vinyl toys. The man behind the design is Esc-Toy’s founder/designer Erick Scarecrow. Erick is well known in the industry for creating some of the most sought after customs, vinyl and plush collectibles out there. He is also well known for the work he has done for recording artists, including the late and great Jam Master Jay of RUN DMC, Bad Boy Entertainment, Def Jam, and others. I have included a few images of the vinyls below.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/22/lots-of-uncharted-2-among-thieves-at-comic-con/#comments

Jtrizzy

arne said:
rolling thunder.

or something. it'll be a slow measured trickle of info, but since we're getting closer to launch, you'll start hearing about more that should answer most of your questions about MP. It'll be a little easier to talk about all of that since we don't need to be overly concerned about spoiling the awesome story that was worked on so hard.

What about the party system? I think we've talked about all of that already actually, there was just a ton of info coming out of E3.

:lol @Rolling Thunder. Wasn't that some supposed megaton from MS? (Obviously it was a military thing first)

Mainly I'm wondering whether the size of the party will be increased. In the beta the limit was five, so there was no way for us to set up a match against friends. Hopefully it won't be a situation where you have to do private unranked matches. I liked the matchmaking and party up system, just increase the party size to 10 and it's all good.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard anything about stat tracking or the boosters. Maybe you guys could do a video thing similar to IW did with the perk system prior to the release of COD4. They did little highlight clips of each perk in MP iirc.

Have there been any other game modes announced other than DM and Plunder?

mbmonk

Why can't they give us a discount as a preorder bonus instead of this?

The only games I have preordered is Orange Box and L4D. Simple reason is a discount. Valve gets it.

Would you rather have these preorder items or $3-$5 off the game? I want the cash. You can keep your gold guns and last unlock bs.

Jtrizzy

The only pre order worth a shit is the MP demo. I don't mind pre ordering for that, as I'll probably play it for 10-20 hours before the actual game is released.

Who's working on the official thread? BruceLeeRoy? Kittonwy? Anyone?

If no one has started work on it, I'm gonna do it. I called dibs on it back during the beta, and have already started working on it. Before I put any more effort into it, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna waste anyone's (or my own) time.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Digging the vinyl style toys, but I think it wouldve been better if Sony signed up Macfarlene to make a series of figures of the cast in Uncharted 2.

á la Metal Gear Solid 2.

I don't see a toy.. I see a drawing. What's the deal with this guy/type of "toy"?

Is the map a cloth map, poster material or some in game d/l? I'd actually like a cloth map bu i wouldn't use it as half the fun is actually looking for the treasure blindly.

Going with the MP demo. That's all they needed, why give a MP perk as well?

Llyranor

Not really related to the preorder or boxart, but have the other co-op modes been announced yet? Last I've heard, there were at least 2-3 new ones yet undisclosed.

reKon

Banned
Massa said:

vs

Dear lord, that is HIDEOUS. Even though I don't have a PS3 yet, I guess I should go ahead and pick up that $20 used copy of Uncharted I saw at blockbuster? But then again, I won't be able to test the game to see if it works alright! (I've heard that Blu-rays don't have scratch problems though).

arne

Jtrizzy said:
:lol @Rolling Thunder. Wasn't that some supposed megaton from MS? (Obviously it was a military thing first)

Mainly I'm wondering whether the size of the party will be increased. In the beta the limit was five, so there was no way for us to set up a match against friends. Hopefully it won't be a situation where you have to do private unranked matches. I liked the matchmaking and party up system, just increase the party size to 10 and it's all good.

Also, maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard anything about stat tracking or the boosters. Maybe you guys could do a video thing similar to IW did with the perk system prior to the release of COD4. They did little highlight clips of each perk in MP iirc.

Have there been any other game modes announced other than DM and Plunder?

Matchmaking has a party limit of 5 for fairness reasons. Custom games have a party limit of 10.

I see what you mean about the rest. We've still got several months before launch, hopefully, maybe most of your questions will be answered by then.

We just announced/showed/had hands on of a new co-op gametype today at Comic-Con called Gold Rush. There should be some video or info on it by tomorrow, if not I'll try to answer some questions by then. I'd rather leave it up to the people who are covering the show to get first crack at it.

Sentry said:
http://img248.yfrog.com/img248/5636/v5g.jpg

Hay I wonder who that is :D

STALKER.
just j/k.

If you happen to be SDCC this week/weekend, be sure to come by and say hi (if you want.) It would be cool.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
arne said:
just announced/showed/had hands on of a new co-op gametype today at Comic-Con called Gold Rush. There should be some video or info on it by tomorrow, if not I'll try to answer some questions by then. I'd rather leave it up to the people who are covering the show to get first crack at it.
nice!

The PlayStation booth on the floor has a three man game of capture the idol, the same type of co-op mode that was featured in the beta. This time though, Nathan, Elena and Chloe run around the courtyard level with the church in the middle, instead of the one with the shack houses and bamboo. Hidden somewhere in the level is a big gold doo-dad that needs to be retrieved, but between you and the treasure are a bunch of enemies.

The idea is pretty simple. Players run around, shooting, and beating the crap out of the bad guys, and a cursor shows them which direction the treasure is. It's Uncharted though, so that usually involves climbing up the side of a building. The level was terribly big, so it didn't take much time for me to run and gun my way to the treasure, snag it, and start dragging it back. Players are able to lob the hunk of gold like they would a grenade, which makes it easier to get down from the high ledges, as well as getting the treasure up onto higher areas (the drop point was two stories up).

What made the mode more interesting was that after players win the round, it starts again, but with a few twists. First there's a bonus meter at the top of the screen, with a countdown timer. If players can snag the treasure again within the time limit they get major bonuses, which, according to the Sony rep, will be helpful for buying upgrades in the shop.

It's not as easy as it sounds, though. The enemies get harder with each successful round, and soon start to acquire new weapons like the sniper rifle. Their fighting skills also get a lot better. Trying to heavy combo a level three bad guy resulted in him choking my character to death. Players can shoot the guy off of their teammate (but these schmucks at Comic-Con can't aim).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/100/1006555p1.html

Top Bottom