• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
Digital_Sin said:
Wow there must be something wrong with my game / ps3. I just hit chapter 6 and Ive probably died 40+ times so far.
The hit detection is freaking awful. Ive had bullets completely pass thru enemies time and time again, even at point blank.
Ive had Drake get stuck in cover and / or actually get stuck inside walls. The aiming speed is really sluggish too even with maxed out speed.
So whats the deal? is it a bad copy / my ps3 messed up? Ps3 seems fine with other games tho. I was really digging the atmosphere and story
but the gunplay is totally killing the game for me, completely sucking the fun out of the game and turning it in to one of the most frustrating gaming experiences Ive ever had. >.<

Really? I thought the gunplay is the best part, great hit detection compared to Gears and something like Dark Sector, a headshot is a headshot is a headshot.
Indifferent2.gif

Digital_Sin said:
Wow there must be something wrong with my game / ps3. I just hit chapter 6 and Ive probably died 40+ times so far.
The hit detection is freaking awful. Ive had bullets completely pass thru enemies time and time again, even at point blank.
Ive had Drake get stuck in cover and / or actually get stuck inside walls. The aiming speed is really sluggish too even with maxed out speed.
So whats the deal? is it a bad copy / my ps3 messed up? Ps3 seems fine with other games tho. I was really digging the atmosphere and story
but the gunplay is totally killing the game for me, completely sucking the fun out of the game and turning it in to one of the most frustrating gaming experiences Ive ever had. >.<

There is something wrong with your game, machine or self.

I'm really starting to wonder if its not a bad copy of the game. Ive literally had bullets pass thru heads from 2 ft away, shot will register on the wall behind them but doesn't register as a hit at all, no blood or reaction from enemy.

Kittonwy

Banned
Digital_Sin said:
I'm really starting to wonder if its not a bad copy of the game. Ive literally had bullets pass thru heads from 2 ft away, shot will register on the wall behind them but doesn't register as a hit at all, no blood or reaction from enemy.

Seriously? That's not something that has ever happened to me, especially with headshots, shoot them square in the head and they drop like a load of bricks. I'm not sure whether you just have a bad copy or what. Some people might not like the duck and weave, but collision detection when it comes to gunplay hasn't been something that I've heard complaints about.
Indifferent2.gif

Grayman

Enemies do bob their head a lot so it's really possible for shots to miss because they've moved from where you aimed before you shot.

Grayman said:
Enemies do bob their head a lot so it's really possible for shots to miss because they've moved from where you aimed before you shot.

Nope they have been standing perfectly still =/ . Guess its back to the store and swap it out for another copy.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I'm not having aiming issues, but the hit detection does seem a bit wonky. Headshots don't always register even when they're straight to the dome. No big deal though, it would be wicked easy otherwise.

Anyway, it's really impressive graphically. The lighting is really amazing and the DTS audio is crystal clear.

Why no multiplayer though? This thing could have had some really long legs.

kuYuri

urk said:
I'm not having aiming issues, but the hit detection does seem a bit wonky. Headshots don't always register even when they're straight to the dome. No big deal though, it would be wicked easy otherwise.

Anyway, it's really impressive graphically. The lighting is really amazing and the DTS audio is crystal clear.

Why no multiplayer though? This thing could have had some really long legs.

Even if it had multiplayer, there's no way it would have competed with CoD4, Warhawk, and any other multiplayer game. It was for the best that ND concentrated on the single player.

Y2Kev said:
My friend refuses to waggle

What, like on principal or something? :lol

Didn't experience many hit detection problems, although sometimes on Crushing I felt like I got robbed on a few head shots. The mercs have ridiculous head movement. Its like trying to bust a cap in an army of James Toney's.

Grayman

Strider2K99 said:
Even if it had multiplayer, there's no way it would have competed with CoD4, Warhawk, and any other multiplayer game. It was for the best that ND concentrated on the single player.
I don't know how the mp would work in uncharted(health, damage, melee, spawn times, cover) but some of the locations would be awesome to visit.

Welp swapped the game out for another copy and same problem =/.
I had played the demo a while back and did not remember having the same problems.
So i decided to fire up the demo again and its fine, while not 100% every time, its nothing
like the full game. So guess ill head up tomorrow and swap out the game again. Hopefully 3rd
time will be the charm.

Grayman

I don't think they print bad copies of discs too often though.

What region console and game do you have? What resolution is it playing in? Are you missing shots against stationary enemies or ones in bump and weave mode? which guns?

Grayman said:
I don't think they print bad copies of discs too often though.

What region console and game do you have? What resolution is it playing in? Are you missing shots against stationary enemies or ones in bump and weave mode? which guns?

R1 80Gig bought it back in march. Running in 1080i mode . Stationary enemies are the ones I notice it on the most and its every gun, but I use the handgun mostly. Pretty stumped at the moment. Never had a problem like this before where a demo would work fine and have such severe issues with the full version.

Grayman

Try 720p if your tv supports it, I see complaints about 1080i here and there. Not sure where R1 is. The JP version doesn't show blood at all though, so if you were slightly missing and hitting shoulders you may think you missed completely.

jonnyp

Kittonwy said:
Really? I thought the gunplay is the best part, great hit detection compared to Gears and something like Dark Sector, a headshot is a headshot is a headshot.
Indifferent2.gif

I agree with Digital_Sin to a certain extent (think he's overreacting a bit though hehe), but they need to work on hit detection for the sequel. It was one of the few things that bugged me a little about the game.

Otherwise Uncharted is AFW.

Grayman said:
Try 720p if your tv supports it, I see complaints about 1080i here and there. Not sure where R1 is. The JP version doesn't show blood at all though, so if you were slightly missing and hitting shoulders you may think you missed completely.

Ya my tv doesn't support 720p, its an oldschool crt. Tried it on 480p and have the same problems. If it was both the demo and the full version I would think it was my ps3.
Sorry about the region confusion. Still used to the old dvd region 1, region 2 ect... Its a
NA unit. Like I said I'll give it another go tomorrow with a different copy.

I don't really want to give up on Uncharted yet . Outside of the technical problems Im having,
I find the game pretty enjoyable.

Grayman

Digital_Sin said:
Ya my tv doesn't support 720p, its an oldschool crt. Tried it on 480p and have the same problems. If it was both the demo and the full version I would think it was my ps3.
Sorry about the region confusion. Still used to the old dvd region 1, region 2 ect... Its a
NA unit. Like I said I'll give it another go tomorrow with a different copy.

I don't really want to give up on Uncharted yet . Outside of the technical problems Im having,
I find the game pretty enjoyable.
Glad you are liking it.

Unless your TV is doing something that lags at native resolution it's either something i don't notice because I(and others) blame on missing the target, i am not as good with a gamepad as a mouse so I just accept not hitting my targets sometimes, or your shots are in fact missing their target through aim/reaction.

In development there was a problem with hit animations god moding an enemy until they finished but I am pretty sure they fixed that.

On normal and probably hard you could beat the game with shots to the body if you had to.

Grayman said:
Glad you are liking it.

Unless your TV is doing something that lags at native resolution it's either something i don't notice because I(and others) blame on missing the target, i am not as good with a gamepad as a mouse so I just accept not hitting my targets sometimes, or your shots are in fact missing their target through aim/reaction.

In development there was a problem with hit animations god moding an enemy until they finished but I am pretty sure they fixed that.

On normal and probably hard you could beat the game with shots to the body if you had to.

On chapter 8 now, problem getting worse, no longer just enemies now having problems hitting explosive crates and barrels. Just unloaded a full clip from the hand gun and ak in to a barrel only to have it not react at all. Wish I had some way to capture a video and post it.

It actually would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating starting over from the last checkpoints multiple times.

Digital_Sin said:
Wow you must really suck at shooters. :lol

No45

Digital_Sin said:
On chapter 8 now, problem getting worse, no longer just enemies now having problems hitting explosive crates and barrels. Just unloaded a full clip from the hand gun and ak in to a barrel only to have it not react at all. Wish I had some way to capture a video and post it.

It actually would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating starting over from the last checkpoints multiple times.
Definitely sounds like there's something wrong there. Not sure what it could be though, I don't see how hit detection would be a symptom of a dodgy disc (And you mention that you've tried a different copy). :/

Any chance you can test it out on another PS3? Perhaps in-store? Maybe even back up your save to an external drive so you can test the same sections?

Kazenone

Fuckkkkk you Crushing Mode.

I can't do it D:< I just got to Chapter 6 and the bad guys just keep coming. Even Wetsuit Drake can not make it better.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kazenone said:
Fuckkkkk you Crushing Mode.

I can't do it D:< I just got to Chapter 6 and the bad guys just keep coming. Even Wetsuit Drake can not make it better.

Don't give up!!! You can do it little kaze you can do it!!!
angry.gif

Well I guess 3rd time is the charm. This copy seems to be working perfectly fine.
Im flying thru the game now, just hit chapter 15 and no weird hit detection issues.
That library lvl was a blast XD.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Digital_Sin said:
Well I guess 3rd time is the charm. This copy seems to be working perfectly fine.
Im flying thru the game now, just hit chapter 15 and no weird hit detection issues.
:D :D

Now go play this marvel of gaming. Uncharted fucking rlz.

UNCHARTED!!!11!!!1!
angry.gif

jonnyp said:
I agree with Digital_Sin to a certain extent (think he's overreacting a bit though hehe), but they need to work on hit detection for the sequel. It was one of the few things that bugged me a little about the game.
I never had much problem with hit detection on enemies, but what I did encounter a moderate amount of environmental hit boxes that were too big. For example, visually you'd have a clear shot at an enemy hiding behind some ruins or whatever. When you fire your gun, rather than hitting the enemy, the bullet impacts on a invisible rectangular hit box significantly larger than the object that doesn't take into account the top left corner of the object is broken off.

Kittonwy

Banned
Digital_Sin said:

I'm glad you're finally enjoying it after all the troubles you went through.
gladtomeetya.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
~Devil Trigger~ said:
i still gotta bat Easy Mode:lol

cuz i beat everything else

Easia mode was my first love
gladtomeetya.gif

but since i cheated on her with her big sister Crusha Mode i can't return to her anymore .

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
So, wow. That last sequence was a piece of fucking shit, huh? I don't know who at Naughty Dog thought that would be a good cap to an otherwise amazing game, but they should be kicked straight in the nuts.

I was ready to lavish praise on this bad boy too. I still think it has the best production values I've yet to see in a video game. Really amazing stuff. Graphics are top notch. Awesome score. Incredible audio effects. Animation, voice action, gameplay...all incredible.

But that last section. Jesus H. Christ. Terrible.

NeonBlade

Banned
I found nothing wrong with the last section, and why would anyone play easy mode? When I beat the game on Hard, it gave me rewards automatically for Easy and Normal difficulty.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
urk said:
So, wow. That last sequence was a piece of fucking shit, huh? I don't know who at Naughty Dog thought that would be a good cap to an otherwise amazing game, but they should be kicked straight in the nuts.

I was ready to lavish praise on this bad boy too. I still think it has the best production values I've yet to see in a video game. Really amazing stuff. Graphics are top notch. Awesome score. Incredible audio effects. Animation, voice action, gameplay...all incredible.

I really don't like how they give you a shotgun to start. It's not so much hard as it is pretty uninventive. It really does feel like an action movie, though I'm not really sure I like ending games on
QTEs

NeonBlade

Banned
The Shotgun part was pretty easy seeing as I got pretty good at "aiming" at guys, basically blind firing and hitting them pretty solid with the Moss/Spas for that final level. I only ever had to actually for a few enemies, but even then, M4s were in abundance after the Spas cleared those 4 mercs with seconds.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
urk said:

Wow! You really hated it that much? Felt like a prolonged boss fight to me, with the little handy tricks reserved for boss fights included (you can shoot at the box Navarro's hiding behind to destroy it and scare him away for example) and it was nice. Not mindblowing, but nice. The end cutscene that comes right after totally made the game for me though.

Just know this - don't play that last sequence on Crushing. Your hair might fall off from the frustration. That's really my only complaint about that level. Yeah, it's the last battle, and yes it's crushing, but still - so unfair...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
It's almost as bad as the boss fight in Bioshock. I really wish they would have just stuck to the foundation they poured instead of turning it into a trial and error arcade shooter in the final moments. It just did not work for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
urk said:
It's almost as bad as the boss fight in Bioshock. I really wish they would have just stuck to the foundation they poured instead of turning it into a trial and error arcade shooter in the final moments. It just did not work for me.
On normal/hard that fight is not really trial and error IMO. You hide behind crates, you shoot, you have a trick that you can destroy Navarro's crate that makes things easier but it's really not needed. You see that the crate you're behind is decaying and you're given time to roll away to another one. You can hide behind metal crate which is indestructible, just as you'd think it would be. Navarro's shooting pattern is completely predictable, so it's not like he's going to give you a surprise headshot. I think game needed one of those boss fight like level at least, hell it wouldn't hurt if it had more. It wasn't the best but I think it got the job done, and the
"adios asshole"
at the end made it more enjoyable :p

I do however 101% agree that played on Crushing that levels requires a solid amount of luck and trial and error to finish. It's quite frustrating :\

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Eh, the first batch of baddies was easy enough. I had to take one in the head to learn that Navarro's trigger finger was quite a bit more itchy then anyone else wielding laser sighted weaponry had been. Second batch I ended up running out of ammo and had to leave the safety of my crate and try to pick up a clip. Instant death. Got that one down now. Try again. Third set, dude can kill you through the crate with the same shot that also destroys it. Okay, again. I rolled when I rushed him out in the open, just like the game taught me. The result? An instant death (his sight wasn't even pointed in the proper direction either, he bought the head fake completely, yet I still died). Guess it doesn't want me to roll. QTE. No problem. Got it. But wait, there was a pause. Oh, guess I'm dead again.

It's not difficult, it's just a departure from the rest of the game. Just about everything you've been taught doesn't apply, and all the sweet tools Naughty Dog had given you throughout the title, were stripped away. Why? It just seems counter intuitive and for whatever reason, plenty of devs hoe this road.

"You know what would be sweet? Let's abandon all the gameplay we set up, almost like we don't have any faith in what we've constructed, and just through a QTE in there to wrap it up."

Ugh.

Edit: I don't want to give the impression that it ruined the game for me. It didn't. But I was really impressed with just about every decision ND had made with Uncharted and was ready to heap a ton of praise, so it was really disappointing to end on a sharp, frustrating note. It's like my mouth was agape as I soaked in a beautiful symphony and just as it reached a crescendo, the gentleman in front of me stood up, dropped his pants, and farted into my open maw. Kinda left a sour taste.

Madman

urk said:
I really wish they would have just stuck to the foundation they poured instead of turning it into a trial and error arcade shooter in the final moments. It just did not work for me.
I agree for the most part. It was lackluster. The rest of the game was great and the ending didn't tarnish it in my eyes, but something like fighting a helicopter would have been a better end.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Oh, and let me just say that IGN took Uncharted down an entire point for some "screen tearing and texture pop-in," but just handed out a perfect 10 to GTA in their "exclusive" review.

I popped in GTAIV on the heels of finishing Uncharted and it's not even in the same ballpark graphically. Not a knock on Rockstar, or a statement designed to stir up shit, but more of a commentary on the horrible cesspool that is gaming "journalism."

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
urk said:
It's not difficult, it's just a departure from the rest of the game. Just about everything you've been taught doesn't apply, and all the sweet tools Naughty Dog had given you throughout the title, were stripped away. Why? It just seems counter intuitive and for whatever reason, plenty of devs hoe this road.
Isn't that the case with most boss fights, though? They throw something new and unexpected at you and you have to learn new tricks quickly. In your case, I'm not sure if you've noticed the consistent pattern of Navarro's shooting, and that only his last shot makes an insta-kill if you're exposed. Also, the boxes you hide behind decay visibly, and when you see that the one you're behind is almost crumbled, you have to move to the next one - preferably by rolling (just as you cold do in the game) instead of running - but only that one 4th Navarro's shot can destroy the badly damaged box and kill you at the same time. Once you get his shooting pattern down, it's really very easy to know what's going to happen. He always shoots three times randomly, then a short pause, then a killshot, rinse, repeat.

The whole level is very boss-fight like, and the game really never had anything like that before, perhaps that's the problem - it's just BAM bossfight, and it's end of the game, so it must not be super easy either.

DCharlie

Banned

whut?

some copies have better hit detection?

I dunno - i loved the game and all that but hit detection wasn't its strongest point.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I can't believe you guys are complaining about the last boss fight! Even on Crushing, that fight is a walk in the park compared to some of the other levels in the game, like the fight that comes after you climb down from Sullivan's crashed plane in chapter 4....JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That fight is just downright RETARDEDLY hard on Crushing! Also the gunfight in the grassy field near the sanctuary.....O-M-F-G- I was stuck on that fight for HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom