• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

On a whim, I decided to try out Uncharted a few days ago. It never seemed like my cup of tea, and the demo was nothing special. In my eyes, it was just Gears of War in the jungle, and since I never much liked Gears, I figured I'd pass on Uncharted.

What a big mistake that was.

Almost immediately after picking up the controller, I could tell that I was in love with this game. Everything about it was superb, the voice-acting, characters, dialogue, gameplay, graphics, sound, story, everything. By the end of the game, I actually cared about these characters, which I never imagined I would do.

I especially liked the in-game dialogue between Drake and Sully. It didn't seemed forced, and it was actually funny. Drake's off-hand comments during gameplay were great, as well. Coupled with his animation, Drake actually seemed like a real person to me (albeit a person who can scale cliffs and walls with ease :D). Neither the monsters nor the QTE ending bothered me at all. I always thought Uncharted was like playing an Indiana Jones movie, and it's not like supernatural things aren't present in the films. Besides, it was fun to take a break from the mercenaries and just fight something different, something that didn't need tactics or strategy. The QTE ending fit in the context of the game, in my opinion. It was two men fighting each other, so it would have been odd (and out of place) to have a boss battle of any kind, even if it was just melee combat.

That being said, if the monsters and the QTE weren't in the game, I wouldn't be angry, but I don't think they detract from the experience at all. The only "complaint" I have is that there is a little too much combat with the mercs later in the game. I wouldn't have minded another Drake/Sully expedition of some sort to break up the action. :D

So yeah, forgive me for being so high on this game, but I was NOT expecting to like it as much as I do. I've read the praise here on gaf, but I guess I just ignored it or something. The game really came out of left field for me. Just an all-around amazing experience, and I can't wait for the sequel. Once I give back the copy my friend lent to me, I'm immediately going to buy a copy for myself. Up next, Crushing. :D

Hmm...strange. Any posts after 14650 aren't showing up in this thread, but I can see them when I try to post a reply and look the most recent posts.

Is this just me?

AKS

TemplaerDude said:
as for the a.i., i played through cod4 on the ps3 on hardened and i think it's pretty equal. they both duck and cover and try to kill you, nothing special, no flanking or really any other sign of intelligence.

You are nuts for saying CoD4's AI is even close to Uncharted's. You need to take Uncharted's difficulty off Easy and try Crushing. Uncharted's AI blows CoD4's AI away.

Both are awesome games overall, but there is no comparison regarding the AI.

AKS

FFObsessed said:
I just completed Uncharted on Crushing! RAAAAAAWR! Took 11 hours 33 mins.

So hard yet sooo satisfying. Apart from a few frustrating parts (how is a Chapter 4 battle after you find the plane the hardest part of the game??) it was probably the most fun play-through and I completed it on Normal and Hard first.

Still remains my GOTY 2007, now I just have to find 5 more treasures and get one last reward.

I thought the return to the cathedral and the bottleneck where there is a heavy machine gun firing down at you and zillions flanking you were the hardest parts on Crushing.

BTW, congrats!

Kittonwy said:
I have and COD4 AI is mediocre at best, enemies are fodder for the most part, in Uncharted each of them can present a significant threat, especially in the later stages.
Indifferent2.gif

yeah, having gotten farther, the only thing that changes is the guns get bigger.

i don't know how you can just say "omg cod4 ai sux" because they do the same thing in both games. they both try to kill you. they both use cover to a point. that's about it. there's nothing significantly intelligent about the enemies in either games.

DrBo42

What's with the smoke from explosions in this game? The smoke forms into this tight ball rising into the air. It's the ugliest smoke effect I have EVER seen.

Kittonwy

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
yeah, having gotten farther, the only thing that changes is the guns get bigger.

i don't know how you can just say "omg cod4 ai sux" because they do the same thing in both games. they both try to kill you. they both use cover to a point. that's about it. there's nothing significantly intelligent about the enemies in either games.

Uncharted enemies pin you down and actually try to actively move from cover to cover in order to converge on your location, outflank the shit out of you and kill you, in addition of using cover. Try playing on crushing, you'll understand what I'm saying.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
On a whim, I decided to try out Uncharted a few days ago. It never seemed like my cup of tea, and the demo was nothing special. In my eyes, it was just Gears of War in the jungle, and since I never much liked Gears, I figured I'd pass on Uncharted.

What a big mistake that was.

Almost immediately after picking up the controller, I could tell that I was in love with this game. Everything about it was superb, the voice-acting, characters, dialogue, gameplay, graphics, sound, story, everything. By the end of the game, I actually cared about these characters, which I never imagined I would do.

I especially liked the in-game dialogue between Drake and Sully. It didn't seemed forced, and it was actually funny. Drake's off-hand comments during gameplay were great, as well. Coupled with his animation, Drake actually seemed like a real person to me (albeit a person who can scale cliffs and walls with ease :D). Neither the monsters nor the QTE ending bothered me at all. I always thought Uncharted was like playing an Indiana Jones movie, and it's not like supernatural things aren't present in the films. Besides, it was fun to take a break from the mercenaries and just fight something different, something that didn't need tactics or strategy. The QTE ending fit in the context of the game, in my opinion. It was two men fighting each other, so it would have been odd (and out of place) to have a boss battle of any kind, even if it was just melee combat.

That being said, if the monsters and the QTE weren't in the game, I wouldn't be angry, but I don't think they detract from the experience at all. The only "complaint" I have is that there is a little too much combat with the mercs later in the game. I wouldn't have minded another Drake/Sully expedition of some sort to break up the action. :D

So yeah, forgive me for being so high on this game, but I was NOT expecting to like it as much as I do. I've read the praise here on gaf, but I guess I just ignored it or something. The game really came out of left field for me. Just an all-around amazing experience, and I can't wait for the sequel. Once I give back the copy my friend lent to me, I'm immediately going to buy a copy for myself. Up next, Crushing. :D

I don't usually recommend a lot of games, but I recommended Uncharted to everyone and I'm glad you liked it.
gladtomeetya.gif

James-Ape

show some balls, man
DrBo42 said:
What's with the smoke from explosions in this game? The smoke forms into this tight ball rising into the air. It's the ugliest smoke effect I have EVER seen.

really? I quite liked the smoke from explosions in this game.

The Chef

Jack Scofield said:

Any of my friends who own ps3's and havent played Uncharted....well - i remove them from my friends list.

Uncharted is one of the best games I have ever played. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
A few questions. Do I have to beat Hard to unlock Crushing? And can I still get the in-game Achievements if I equip weapons using the rewards menu?

Yes.

Not sure if equipping special weapons would do anything to medals outside of crushing since I've never equipped any of the special weapons or costumes.

You can't go through crushing with any of the bonuses afaik and you need to play through crushing from beginning to end without switching difficulties in order to get that medal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jack Scofield said:
And can I still get the in-game Achievements if I equip weapons using the rewards menu?
Yes you can, but on crushing all the cheats and weapons from the rewards menu are disabled.

TemplaerDude said:
have you played both games? i really can't understand how someone can say that.
I have played both games, and I can understand. CoD4 doesn't have much in the way of AI, while Uncharted has some of the best in recent memory. The flanking, the cover use, cover-to-cover movement and unpredictable peeking and shooting, one enemy trying to pin you down while the other tries to run around you - it's all there. There's a lot of shooting in the game, perhaps more than there should have been, but it's executed really well.

Hmm...even though I beat the game, how come I can't select all the chapters or all the cut-scenes? It only goes as far as I am in my current playthrough. Or did I mess something up when I started my second game? I started a new game with all my previous medals and rewards, but I saved over my original file. Bad idea?

Kittonwy

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
Hmm...even though I beat the game, how come I can't select all the chapters or all the cut-scenes? It only goes as far as I am in my current playthrough. Or did I mess something up when I started my second game? :D

If you're playing on an old save (say you already finished hard and you're starting a new game on the same save on a continue), you can see all the movies and stuff. If you're playing on a NEW save (say you started a new save for crushing), on THAT save you can't see the new movies and stuff, but you can still load up an old save and see the movies, if you started a NEW save but you save that over the old one then you have to finish the game again in order to get the goodies. Hope that halpz.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
If you're playing on an old save (say you already finished hard and you're starting a new game on the same save on a continue), you can see all the movies and stuff. If you're playing on a NEW save (say you started a new save for crushing), on THAT save you can't see the new movies and stuff, but you can still load up an old save and see the movies, if you started a NEW save but you save that over the old one then you have to finish the game again in order to get the goodies. Hope that halpz.
Indifferent2.gif

So when I beat Hard and start Crushing, I'll need to have two save files in order to keep all the videos and stuff, right?

Kittonwy

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
So when I beat Hard and start Crushing, I'll need to have two save files in order to keep all the videos and stuff, right?

Yep yep. Once you have beaten crushing you can basically use that file to continue on a new game whenever you feel like playing the game again on any difficulty.

I think only the movies are affected though, I think the medals (accomplishments and relics found) are kept even if you start a new game on crushing on a new save after finishing hard on your original save. If you want to be safe just keep your old save file.

Thanks for the help, though It still seems a little confusing to me. I'm used to games letting me select any level I want once I beat the game. All these save files make it a little complicated. :D

Pimpwerx

TemplaerDude said:

I never played COD4, but your description of UDF sound way off. On Normal, I can understand. Enemies are your standard, suicidal bunch that try some cheesy moves, but nothing crazy. On Hard and Crushing, you are out of your mind.

On Crushing, even newly-spawned groups will work with existing enemies to lay down suppressing fire while one or two guys flank. It's why my best approach was to lay down suppressing fire of my own whenever a new group of enemies would emerge on the scene. Hit as many on the way in as possible without getting hit. It at least slows down the flank and gives you a chance to gain a better position. The shootout at the crash site was probably the first time I made serious use of blindfire, b/c there are just too many guys shooting to poke your head out. So when some shotgun freak runs at me, i had to lay down some blindfire in the hopes of hitting him.

The AI in UDF is one of the best in any genre on any platform. There was a dev walkthrough where they played the game in debug mode so you could see the line-of-sight of the AI. It's just a very clever AI scheme that gives a great illusion of realism. My favorite is if you miscount a swarm of enemies and one of them lays back only to surprise you once you've let your guard down. It's the main reason the game is so replayable IMO. PEACE.

dalin80

Banned
Just started again, this is what the on foot controls of GTA4 should have been.

Now who do i need to hold hostage to force a sequel?

BigBoss

Pimpwerx said:
The AI in UDF is one of the best in any genre on any platform. There was a dev walkthrough where they played the game in debug mode so you could see the line-of-sight of the AI. It's just a very clever AI scheme that gives a great illusion of realism. My favorite is if you miscount a swarm of enemies and one of them lays back only to surprise you once you've let your guard down. It's the main reason the game is so replayable IMO. PEACE.

Do you know where I can see this dev walkthrough?

For anyone who hasn't got to play this amazing game you should check out gamefly used games. I just bought me another copy since I sold my original. It's only $29.99 shipped. The case and manual is brand new always so it will look good in your collection. My game more or less was in perfect condition. 2 or 3 finger prints and a very small scratch that needed light reflection to spot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was bored and decided to randomly read 50 pages from this thread.

It reminds me of why I love Kittonwy.

J-Rzez

DongHungLong said:
For anyone who hasn't got to play this amazing game you should check out gamefly used games. I just bought me another copy since I sold my original. It's only $29.99 shipped. The case and manual is brand new always so it will look good in your collection. My game more or less was in perfect condition. 2 or 3 finger prints and a very small scratch that needed light reflection to spot.

No. For a game like this, you buy new. Give the Devs the money/support they deserve. It's one of the few games last year that deserved the full asking price, and was GOTY 07 imho.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I am playing it through for the first time. I didn't have a chance to really sit down with it when it first came out.

On chapter 9 now, I am loving this game so much :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Seiken said:
I was bored and decided to randomly read 50 pages from this thread.

It reminds me of why I love Kittonwy.

I wuv this game!!!111!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

kozmo7 said:
I am playing it through for the first time. I didn't have a chance to really sit down with it when it first came out.

On chapter 9 now, I am loving this game so much :D

Oh it gets better.
gladtomeetya.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
sleeping_dragon said:
sounds like this game is gonna to be the most underrated game of this generation. :(
Certainly not. It got plenty of GotY-awards. At least that's what I can remember.

Man, I soooo want to unlock one shot kills in this game, I just think it would be a blast to play with it.

But I have a feeling I'll need to beat the game on both hard and crushing to do so. Is this true?

I honestly found the game tricky enough on normal. Don't think I'd enjoy myself too much on hard (funny considering I forced myself through COD4 on Veteran for 1000GS).

Grayman

Kittonwy said:
Congratarulations!!!111!!!
gladtomeetya.gif
:D

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Man, I soooo want to unlock one shot kills in this game, I just think it would be a blast to play with it.

But I have a feeling I'll need to beat the game on both hard and crushing to do so. Is this true?

I honestly found the game tricky enough on normal. Don't think I'd enjoy myself too much on hard (funny considering I forced myself through COD4 on Veteran for 1000GS).
On hard the fights that gave you trouble on normal will still do that but easy things shouldn't get much worse. It's the fun mode that doesn't make you pull your hair out because you can still get shot a few times and recover from it fairly fast. Crushing gives 150 points, without finishing it you will miss out on a lot of the top rewards. It can get very frustrating though.

I had a hellish situation in the church fights at the end of the game today but the checkpoint gods forgave me. I had taken out all the enemies from the second wave except for one. I was behind the bench in the very back that Sullivan stays at and the last mercenary was on the opposite side near the big pillar. I moved up to the pillar closer to me but couldn't get a shot at the merc. I rushed across in the open and decided to neck snap. beep beep beep, he dropped a grenade when I grabbed him. Drake splattered all over the church and sully had to escape alone.

junker

I've finished this game 3 times, twice on Normal, once on Hard, recently started Crushing though GTA4 has consumed most of my game time.

I'm still missing 10 treasures and I haven't used a FAQ yet though I suspect I may have to.

For a single player game, there's a ton replay value. Reminds me of Resident Evil 4 in that regard.

Kittonwy

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

At least try it on hard, it's not like COD4, the game is very doable even on crushing, it's not like they throw more enemies at you, it's not like you die in one shot, on hard you can take five shots, on crushing you can take three. It's just a matter of playing smart, the enemy AI really shines on the harder difficulties in terms of their flanking ability, I think on crushing you have to be quick at making your shots but on hard there's a lot of flexibility in terms of approaching each scenario.
gladtomeetya.gif

Kittonwy said:
At least try it on hard, it's not like COD4, the game is very doable even on crushing, it's not like they throw more enemies at you, it's not like you die in one shot, on hard you can take five shots, on crushing you can take three. It's just a matter of playing smart, the enemy AI really shines on the harder difficulties in terms of their flanking ability, I think on crushing you have to be quick at making your shots but on hard there's a lot of flexibility in terms of approaching each scenario.
gladtomeetya.gif

hmmm....I might need to head back. I really want to play through it with one-shot kills. Don't know why.

kozmo7

Just finished it on Normal for the first time. Awesome fucking game if I do say so myself. I am a big fan of 80ies adventure flicks which made this game even better.

Going to replay it real quick again on Normal to get the rest of the trophies (Got 45, no guides! :D) and a few accomplishments I still need to do.

One thing that bugs me are the idols strewn about the island. Especially in the first half of the game, you run into them quite a lot. If you get close enough you'll get an L2 zoom to take a closer look and Nate will mutter something about how odd it is.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the idols but do they have any sort of relevance?

Kittonwy

Banned
kozmo7 said:
Just finished it on Normal for the first time. Awesome fucking game if I do say so myself. I am a big fan of 80ies adventure flicks which made this game even better.

Going to replay it real quick again on Normal to get the rest of the trophies (Got 45, no guides! :D) and a few accomplishments I still need to do.

One thing that bugs me are the idols strewn about the island. Especially in the first half of the game, you run into them quite a lot. If you get close enough you'll get an L2 zoom to take a closer look and Nate will mutter something about how odd it is.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the idols but do they have any sort of relevance?

Congrats.
gladtomeetya.gif

Now try it on hard!
angry.gif

kozmo7

If I were to beat it on Crushing wouldn't that unlock the 'beat on Hard' accomplishment? Will probably replay it on that after all the MGS buzz. For now, just a quick play through.

I'll try it on Crushing soon, I'll probably wait to see if that rumored FW 2.4 will really include trophies.

I'm stuck trying to find the
Gold llama treasure. I followed the guide, but still fail, that's my last one too, I already got 60/60 but I have the relic finder. The guide says you can have 61 treasures, and this last one is pissing me off.

AranhaHunter said:
I'll try it on Crushing soon, I'll probably wait to see if that rumored FW 2.4 will really include trophies.

Gold llama treasure. I followed the guide, but still fail, that's my last one too, I already got 60/60 but I have the relic finder. The guide says you can have 61 treasures, and this last one is pissing me off.
Here's a quick pic of where the
gold llama
treasure can be found, don't click it if you're trying to avoid all spoilers:
http://i26.tinypic.com/eg25tw.jpg

Basically,
you would normally be heading along the top of that wall in the opposite direction to which Drake is facing in that pic. To get the gold llama, get up on that ledge you can see above Drake with the trees on it. It's on the back right side of that ledge, you might need to walk around a little bit before you find the 'sweet spot'.
At least that's if I'm not mixing it up with another one...

kozmo7

AranhaHunter said:

You reading the guide done by YYZ or the official guide? The one YYZ did really helped me a ton.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/932984/51176

KZObsessed

1000/1000 points! 61/61 treasures!
100% complete! :D

Kinda sad theres nothing left to get now :( I'll probably give it another play through whenever the sequel is about to hit. Any chance they could announce it at this E3? no? ;_; E3 09 it is then...

2 Minutes Turkish said:

First time through I thought Normal was quite tricky, but by the time I got to Hard I already knew the best tactic to use at each fight so it wasn't as bad. Plus you can use the "cheats" and give yourself a weapon if you run out of ammo or use slow motion. (<-That pretty much got me through the last level on Hard, still can't believe I finished it on Crushing where you're not allowed to slow mo).

NameIess

I completed all of the difficulties a long time ago, but plan to play the game again after I finish up GTA IV. I think the perfect difficulty would be the AI aggressiveness of Crushing, but the hit count and recover rate of Normal. It would be kind of like the hard setting, but you get the better, flanking more aggressive AI.

I still give Uncharted the crown of the best action/adventure next-gen title period!

I cannot wait to play through this game again even though it's 100% completed. Especially after I see Indiana Jones this weekend. Naughty/Sony beter start pumping out new commercials (with gameplay!!!!). People will think it's a game based on Shia Lebouf's character lol.

kozmo7

I dunno how you guys manage to play this on crushing. Some parts are hard enough as it is on hard. Right now I am sitting at 62% complete with only 3 hours 30 minutes spent on Hard. I had to do some parts over and over a few times before I realized I have to keep my dam nhead down more often. :lol

Few things I'd like to mention.. Minor/major Plot spoilers ahead:
I love you Uncharted but for the love of Christ I hate your upriver jetski level. It's not only annoying it also causes me to have motion sickness (which I don't get often). I just got finished with it on hard and I almost puked my dinner out.

Is it possible to get Eddy's golden gun without unlocking it via the rewards panel? I tried looking for it after he died but it was no where to be found.

That leads me to another thing. Why are there weird numbers for some of the unlockables? I have done everything except beat it on Hard & Crushing and have 750 points. I beat it on Hard that'll give me a total of 850. Why the hell are there things that need 860? or 950 when beating it on Crushing gives you the full 1,000?

And last but not least, why was this not rated higher? I realize game review scores are taken with a grain of salt but it seems like this should of gotten better scores. Maybe it's just me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kozmo7 said:
I dunno how you guys manage to play this on crushing. Some parts are hard enough as it is on hard. Right now I am sitting at 62% complete with only 3 hours 30 minutes spent on Hard. I had to do some parts over and over a few times before I realized I have to keep my dam nhead down more often. :lol

Few things I'd like to mention.. Minor/major Plot spoilers ahead:
I love you Uncharted but for the love of Christ I hate your upriver jetski level. It's not only annoying it also causes me to have motion sickness (which I don't get often). I just got finished with it on hard and I almost puked my dinner out.

Is it possible to get Eddy's golden gun without unlocking it via the rewards panel? I tried looking for it after he died but it was no where to be found.

That leads me to another thing. Why are there weird numbers for some of the unlockables? I have done everything except beat it on Hard & Crushing and have 750 points. I beat it on Hard that'll give me a total of 850. Why the hell are there things that need 860? or 950 when beating it on Crushing gives you the full 1,000?

And last but not least, why was this not rated higher? I realize game review scores are taken with a grain of salt but it seems like this should of gotten better scores. Maybe it's just me.
I thought that for a while too and I came to the conclusion that it was ND's way of saying: "OH NO YOU DON'T, YOU WILL FINISH CRUSHING FIRST" as well as saying alternatively "Yeah okay you have finished Crushing, now go and get those other 5 medals you missed out on". It's easy to forget that the medal for beating Crushing isn't necessarily the last medal you can recieve.

And honestly I had a harder time on Hard than Crushing. By the time I reached my Crushing playthrough it was my fourth playthrough of the game in a relatively short amount of time, so I knew the maps like the back of my hand. The trick is to get a strategy on your Hard playthrough and stick to it. Crushing is quite managable just play smart (use shotgun in areas you know will be close range based, assault rifle other times, use the sniper rifle/grenade launcher as much/effectively as you can when presented with one etc) and don't waste ammo.

zoukka

Borrowed it from my friend and started on Hard. I finished it in what, 3 days? Some parts I liked but there were a lot I didn't. At first the game didn't live up to it's graphics-hype, but when you had to boat up the river I just fucking melted on my couch. Easily the most impressive realistic visuals there ever. Easily. And I have played Crysis on high setup.

Enemies were pretty challenging on HARD and in some scenes the shoot-outs were very satisfying when you would snipe one merc from far, run to cover and discover a hiding merc shooting the girl and whacking him down. Stuff like that should have been possible more and I can't imagine a game that could benefit from co-op more than Uncharted. Most of the time the enemies were too easy to flank and grenade. The enemy positioning was sometimes pretty cheap too, when you had three snipers all around you and couldn't possibly notice em' all.

The biggest flaw in Uncharted is obviously the lack of adventure. While people who play shooters all the time could see this as a fresh take to the genre, I personally got bored of shooting everybody all the time quickly. Luckily the game is short. Any longer would have been crippling to the experience.

So basically add some good platforming and adventure to the sequel and you have an excellent game and an outstanding shooter there. You really can't call Uncharted anything else the way it is. It's a shooter if I ever saw one.

Probably will never buy this myself but nice game overall. The lack of platforming just is pretty dazzling taken the history of Naughty Dog.

Top Bottom