• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Look, yeah I wouldn't have minded more platforming and if there is more in the sequel then that's great. But on the whole I'm indifferent, I liked the pacing (in general) throughout Uncharted, reminded me of HL2 (intense set-pieces sprinkled with some platforming and story sections to allow the player time to relax, before easing them back into more gunplay with smaller skirmishes which lead to huge shootouts, before taking a break for a vehicle section and so forth in that manner). Which is a good thing (obviously).

zoukka

Rez>You said:
Look, yeah I wouldn't have minded more platforming and if there is more in the sequel then that's great. But on the whole I'm indifferent, I liked the pacing (in general) throughout Uncharted, reminded me of HL2. Which is a good thing (obviously).

To be honest I would have welcomed anything besides shooting people to pace the game better :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
zoukka said:
To be honest I would have welcomed anything besides shooting people to pace the game better :)
Fair enough, it's a subjective thing. I didn't find Uncharted long enough to really grate on me. *shrug*

Rainy Dog

zoukka said:
Borrowed it from my friend and started on Hard. I finished it in what, 3 days? Some parts I liked but there were a lot I didn't. At first the game didn't live up to it's graphics-hype, but when you had to boat up the river I just fucking melted on my couch. Easily the most impressive realistic visuals there ever. Easily. And I have played Crysis on high setup.

Enemies were pretty challenging on HARD and in some scenes the shoot-outs were very satisfying when you would snipe one merc from far, run to cover and discover a hiding merc shooting the girl and whacking him down. Stuff like that should have been possible more and I can't imagine a game that could benefit from co-op more than Uncharted. Most of the time the enemies were too easy to flank and grenade. The enemy positioning was sometimes pretty cheap too, when you had three snipers all around you and couldn't possibly notice em' all.

The biggest flaw in Uncharted is obviously the lack of adventure. While people who play shooters all the time could see this as a fresh take to the genre, I personally got bored of shooting everybody all the time quickly. Luckily the game is short. Any longer would have been crippling to the experience.

So basically add some good platforming and adventure to the sequel and you have an excellent game and an outstanding shooter there. You really can't call Uncharted anything else the way it is. It's a shooter if I ever saw one.

Probably will never buy this myself but nice game overall. The lack of platforming just is pretty dazzling taken the history of Naughty Dog.

Zoukka, you sum up pretty much exactly how I feel about Uncharted. I love the game and would rank it only behind R&C:FTOD as the PS3's best exclusive single player experience yet. Yet I can't deny my disappointment with the massive emphasis on shooting, espeically given ND's pedigree. Everytime Nathan said "Oh no, not again..." or to some effect when you faced yet another shootout, couldn't help but feel exactly the same myself. Don't get me wrong, the shooting mechanics and enemy AI are spot on and make it highly enjoyable for the most part. But thats just it...for the most part. I personally feel they just over focused on that element as opposed to platforming, exploring and puzzle solving.

But I can appreciate that maybe that's just me... I'm sure Uncharted gained as many fans as it did purely for the shooting.

zoukka

McBradders said:
Hoverboard in Uncharted 2 confirmed!

Heh considering the hilarious contrast between Drakes personality and the fact that he slaughters hundreds of people, I almost would like to see melee-weapons in U2 :lol

Katana head slice!

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
zoukka said:
Heh considering the hilarious contrast between Drakes personality and the fact that he slaughters hundreds of people, I almost would like to see melee-weapons in U2 :lol

Katana head slice!

A machete or a kukri work a wee bit better given the setting ;)

Any one speak Spanish here? I am curious to how much Spanish was used in Uncharted. I know Indonesian is thrown around quite a bit but I thought Navarro was Spanish as opposed to an Indonesian like Eddy Raja. Just a stupid detail I guess but I am just absorbed in this game right now.

Grayman

kozmo7 said:

Any one speak Spanish here? I am curious to how much Spanish was used in Uncharted. I know Indonesian is thrown around quite a bit but I thought Navarro was Spanish as opposed to an Indonesian like Eddy Raja. Just a stupid detail I guess but I am just absorbed in this game right now.
I think someone said the gravestone joke was spanish?

Kittonwy

Banned
Rainy Dog said:
Zoukka, you sum up pretty much exactly how I feel about Uncharted. I love the game and would rank it only behind R&C:FTOD as the PS3's best exclusive single player experience yet. Yet I can't deny my disappointment with the massive emphasis on shooting, espeically given ND's pedigree. Everytime Nathan said "Oh no, not again..." or to some effect when you faced yet another shootout, couldn't help but feel exactly the same myself. Don't get me wrong, the shooting mechanics and enemy AI are spot on and make it highly enjoyable for the most part. But thats just it...for the most part. I personally feel they just over focused on that element as opposed to platforming, exploring and puzzle solving.

But I can appreciate that maybe that's just me... I'm sure Uncharted gained as many fans as it did purely for the shooting.

It's a shooter with some platforming and the occasional puzzle, if you're looking for something completely different from a shooter, then you're going to be disappointed. Personally I would love more platforming and puzzles and boss fights but what the game got right now is amazing.

I would rank it above R&CFTOD which really didn't take much risk, because they did just about everything they attempted right, everything from controlling how the character moves, jumps, aim, melee, take cover, vault over objects, hang from ledges, EVERYTHING is accessible and INTUITIVE, great enemy AI and environments for shoot-outs. I reckon the next game is going to have more platforming and puzzles, as those would probably take more time to tune and they just didn't have the kind of time for the first game while having to perfect the shooter mechanics and just the general moveset of the character, it's not easy to make a new IP, they laid a great foundation that will continue to work for them in the future.
angry.gif

BeeDog

Stop bumping up this topic Kittowny, every time I expect to read something new about a potential sequel, or imminent Home/trophy integration.
16x16smileysadgi9.gif

My cat is better than yours!

Kittonwy

Banned
kozmo7 said:
I dunno how you guys manage to play this on crushing. Some parts are hard enough as it is on hard. Right now I am sitting at 62% complete with only 3 hours 30 minutes spent on Hard. I had to do some parts over and over a few times before I realized I have to keep my dam nhead down more often. :lol

And last but not least, why was this not rated higher? I realize game review scores are taken with a grain of salt but it seems like this should of gotten better scores. Maybe it's just me.

A kitton can do anything it putz its mind to.
angry.gif

Grayman

The next Drake game needs to have more puzzles and platforming. I would also like if they tried some sections with more passive metal gear like enemies. Uncharted had a few places where you could pick your first attack but it always alerted the group and put you back to the smart ai that just happens to always know exactly where you are.

I just recently watch old Macgyver tv series, anyone think Drake should be a little like Macgyver? I imagine it might lead to interesting puzzles etc

ok i finished it today.

the a.i. does get better, i'll admit that. i think i'll try it on the harder difficulty so it challenges from the beginning and not near the end.

i don't really get the ending though.
they changed the bad guy twice near the end so that by the final fight i really didn't care to much for this guy other than the fact that he was trucking that bitch around. i kind of got some connection from eddy but the english(?) guy didn't really make sense and his companion that blows his head at the end is introduced like 10 minutes earlier. i think they could have done a better job with that

the pacing really sucked. i thought it would get better but it stayed the same. the tomb raider bullshit was really easy and served only as a slightly boring stop gap between one gun fight and another. the gun fights sucked ass at the beginning but i really started to enjoy them near the end when the enemies got smarter, the weapons tougher and the wise use of cover actually saved your ass.

i was really hoping for some puzzles but aside from the
two "turn these things to face a certain way oh shit something happened"
there was jack shit.

other than that though i'd give the beginning of the game an "okay" and the end an "awesome". the story really picked up in the last hour or so. those
creepy monsters
were completely unexpected.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is it trew COD4 on Veteran is a lot harder than Uncharted on Crushing?

i wouldn't be surprised. uncharted on crushing is a huge step up from hard in terms of ai, and you can get hit less before you die (it makes you the same as the enemy, i guess) - but it's never cheap. you have to play smarter to win but it challenges you to do so, and you're rewarded for it. i was no more frustrated on crushing than i was on hard, even though i had to repeat some things more and eventually spent more time with it; i died a lot, but with every death there was a clue about how i could handle the situation next time just that little bit better in order to get through it

tha_con

Banned
Bearillusion said:
The only thing the sequel needs is vsync turned on. Everything else is perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Right, then you can excessively complain about frame rate instead of tearing. Joy!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
isamu said:
Is it trew COD4 on Veteran is a lot harder than Uncharted on Crushing?
HELL MUTHAFUKING YES OH GOD YES OH FOR FUCKS SAKE YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS

tha_con said:
Right, then you can excessively complain about frame rate instead of tearing. Joy!

Yeah, good one. Uncharted is the best looking game I've ever played. The tearing isn't frequent enough for it to get to me but it comes close at times.

Septimus

BIZ: So as a gamer and former Naughty Dog I'm assuming you've played Uncharted? What do you think?

JR: I loved it. I thought it was a great game. I don't think I look like the main character. [laughs]

:lol

markom58

Neo Member
lttp but just got around to playing Uncharted. Gorgeous game and loved the platforming so far on level 2. Started level 3 (which was the demo level) and the shooting part just started. From what I read shooting might dominate over platforming which is unfortunate. I like the dynamic of having a 2nd person exploring with you instead of the usual walkie-talkie conversation of a solo adventurer like Lara Croft. Wish the forced quicked paced platforming sections were longer as it changes the pace. So far though Uncharted is aces. :D

ZeroTolerance

Septimus said:
BIZ: So as a gamer and former Naughty Dog I'm assuming you've played Uncharted? What do you think?

JR: I loved it. I thought it was a great game. I don't think I look like the main character. [laughs]

:lol
jrubin.jpg

rubinsq.jpg

Jason%20Rubin.png

jASonRubindog2_1147156498.jpg

The people that ask him that might be onto something

yurinka

kozmo7 said:

I'm Spanish. Navarro is a common Spanish surname. As I remember in the game mentions some real historic Spanish conqueror(Hernán Cortés maybe?). I played the game dubbed in Spanish so I don't know if some of them talk Spanish. By the way, this game and Heavenly Sword have the best Spanish dubs since MGS1.

About the gravestone:

Edit : http://kotaku.com/gaming/oddities/uncharted-calls-spanish-readers-huge-nerds-331791.php

The text is (in Spanish) : "Si usted está leyendo esta piedra sepulcral usted es un nerd enorme. Consiga por favor una vida y consiga una novia."

Means : "If you are reading this grave, you're a huge nerd. Please get a life and a girlfriend."

It uses a bad Spanish grammar, the sentence makes sense translated directly to English. I think it's a joke refered to the non-Spanish speakers who translated it only to know what it means.

kozmo7

Kittonwy said:
A kitton can do anything it putz its mind to.
angry.gif

Sorry for bumping your thread again but my internet went dead and just now got it back up.

2 weeks ago after I beat it on Hard I tried it on Crushing. It seemed impossible at first but I gave it a shot and tried to see how far I could get. Before I knew it I was sucked back in again and I ended up beating it.

The AI really shines on Chrushing, I found myself really playing it defensively scared to death of getting shot or running out of ammo. :lol (Especially that flanking! Jeesh! Some parts were really intense). Was a blast and so worth it though. Here's my times for the playthroughs, played them one right after the other.

First playthrough on Normal was 14 hours
2nd on Normal again, 6 hours
3rd on Hard, 8 hours
4th on Crushing, 10 hours 30 minutes

I hope I did you proud Kittonwy.

Kittonwy

Banned
kozmo7 said:
Sorry for bumping your thread again but my internet went dead and just now got it back up.

2 weeks ago after I beat it on Hard I tried it on Crushing. It seemed impossible at first but I gave it a shot and tried to see how far I could get. Before I knew it I was sucked back in again and I ended up beating it.

The AI really shines on Chrushing, I found myself really playing it defensively scared to death of getting shot or running out of ammo. :lol (Especially that flanking! Jeesh! Some parts were really intense). Was a blast and so worth it though. Here's my times for the playthroughs, played them one right after the other.

First playthrough on Normal was 14 hours
2nd on Normal again, 6 hours
3rd on Hard, 8 hours
4th on Crushing, 10 hours 30 minutes

I hope I did you proud Kittonwy.

I'm proud of u, I knew u can do it.
angry.gif

bigswords

Kittonwy said:
I would rank it above R&CFTOD which really didn't take much risk, because they did just about everything they attempted right, everything from controlling how the character moves, jumps, aim, melee, take cover, vault over objects, hang from ledges, EVERYTHING is accessible and INTUITIVE, great enemy AI and environments for shoot-outs. I reckon the next game is going to have more platforming and puzzles, as those would probably take more time to tune and they just didn't have the kind of time for the first game while having to perfect the shooter mechanics and just the general moveset of the character, it's not easy to make a new IP, they laid a great foundation that will continue to work for them in the future.
angry.gif

To be honest, those things were already in Prince of Persia (for the jumping and hanging bits), and take cover / firing/ vaulting system were already done in Gears.
Nathan running animation is still weird though, he runs like a monkey on speed.

But when he was taking fire while in cover, the nice touches of him flinching when bullets were hitting close to him. Or him talking to himself is really nice. That's what makes Nathan a more realistic hero then most action adventure games. Now that's what I call taking it to another level.

Kittonwy

Banned
bigswords said:
To be honest, those things were already in Prince of Persia (for the jumping and hanging bits), and take cover / firing/ vaulting system were already done in Gears.
Nathan running animation is still weird though, he runs like a monkey on speed.

But when he was taking fire while in cover, the nice touches of him flinching when bullets were hitting close to him. Or him talking to himself is really nice. That's what makes Nathan a more realistic hero then most action adventure games. Now that's what I call taking it to another level.

I think the difference is that Uncharted did everything well, and seamlessly.

When you've got a bunch of pirates trying to bust a cap in yo ass, you would run like a monkey on speed too.
angry.gif

AKS

TemplaerDude said:
ok i finished it today.

the a.i. does get better, i'll admit that. i think i'll try it on the harder difficulty so it challenges from the beginning and not near the end.

i don't really get the ending though.
they changed the bad guy twice near the end so that by the final fight i really didn't care to much for this guy other than the fact that he was trucking that bitch around. i kind of got some connection from eddy but the english(?) guy didn't really make sense and his companion that blows his head at the end is introduced like 10 minutes earlier. i think they could have done a better job with that

the pacing really sucked. i thought it would get better but it stayed the same. the tomb raider bullshit was really easy and served only as a slightly boring stop gap between one gun fight and another. the gun fights sucked ass at the beginning but i really started to enjoy them near the end when the enemies got smarter, the weapons tougher and the wise use of cover actually saved your ass.

i was really hoping for some puzzles but aside from the
two "turn these things to face a certain way oh shit something happened"
there was jack shit.

other than that though i'd give the beginning of the game an "okay" and the end an "awesome". the story really picked up in the last hour or so. those
creepy monsters
were completely unexpected.

The pacing sucked? It was right in line with Indiana Jones films, which was what they were going for. Does Indiana Jones ever spend 30 minutes toiling away trying to solve a mind bending puzzle? He always has a miraculous solution within a few moments of thought no matter how complex to keep up the Hollywood pace. Action, action, action in their source materials! You missed the boat on this one. And turn up the difficulty before you tell those of us with 100% completion about the AI.

jaydogg691

SlaughterX said:
I'm sure everyone here already has it, but it's $40 right now @ Amazon (Deal of the Day).
I feel so tempted to buy this, but MGS 4 comes out in 9 days. Every time I see screenshots or anything about this game I punch myself for not getting it in the first place. I will get this game eventually.

AKS said:
The pacing sucked? It was right in line with Indiana Jones films, which was what they were going for. Does Indiana Jones ever spend 30 minutes toiling away trying to solve a mind bending puzzle? He always has a miraculous solution within a few moments of thought no matter how complex to keep up the Hollywood pace. Action, action, action in their source materials! You missed the boat on this one. And turn up the difficulty before you tell those of us with 100% completion about the AI.

this isn't a movie.

Blunty

I was playing it through on crushing, but I got stuck on one bit quite badly and didn't go back. It's the bit on the fortress when your underground, after the turret guy, then you jump down into this large area with pillars and loads attack you. At first there's one guy on the floor and two up above, then a load more will run out. I finally managed to get past all that lot after I dunno how many goes, and then aload more people came out and I died. I knew it would take me hours and hours of trying, so i stopped. I'll have another go one time, but any ideas for this bit? It seems just being a good shot won't be enough, gonna need a really good tactic too.

Darkpen

Banned
I beat the game on Crushing a while ago. I don't know if I want to go through the game again to try and find all the relics and stuff or not. Should I?

Atrus

Gold Member
Blunty said:
I was playing it through on crushing, but I got stuck on one bit quite badly and didn't go back. It's the bit on the fortress when your underground, after the turret guy, then you jump down into this large area with pillars and loads attack you. At first there's one guy on the floor and two up above, then a load more will run out. I finally managed to get past all that lot after I dunno how many goes, and then aload more people came out and I died. I knew it would take me hours and hours of trying, so i stopped. I'll have another go one time, but any ideas for this bit? It seems just being a good shot won't be enough, gonna need a really good tactic too.

Use the revolver to one-shot those on top and around you. Run toward a fallen pillar midway on the right side of the room from where you dropped down and take cover on the other side. From here you have ample room to take everyone else out easily, as they'll typically drop down from where you entered the room and in open view of this position.

kozmo7

In that sewer room they drop in from the left first (Opposite side to where you entered). Then after you clear them out they come in from the right side. I was so nervous going into that part when I was on Crushing due to the amount of time I spent on that one part on the other difficulties.

But yeah, Atrus is right, take out the two bastards up top as fast as you can; take out the two on the ground near you if you have to as they love to flank you down there. Make your way over to the other side of the room and watch your sides. I constantly kept moving around.

Oh, and watch out for the two shotgunners at the very end of that sequence! They come from the right side of the room [where you entered].

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Is this ever going to have a price drop? I've been meaning to pick it up the last couple days, but I figure it's 7 months old now and should be dropping anytime soon. Right?

Christopher

ggnoobIGN said:
Is this ever going to have a price drop? I've been meaning to pick it up the last couple days, but I figure it's 7 months old now and should be dropping anytime soon. Right?

Amazon had it for 40 bucks yesterday as their deal of the day

AKS

Strider2K99 said:
Quick question, where can I find the Desert-5 weapon? I don't think I've ever picked it up in my first playthrough.

I think you start seeing that on enemies once they start using laser sighted weapons. Some of the enemies from that point on carry it.

AKS

TemplaerDude said:
this isn't a movie.

I wouldn't have minded tougher puzzles, as I like that type of thing as well, but the people at Naughty Dog were going for a cinematic pace and experience in line with big Hollywood action blockbusters and were the first to completely pull it off.

AKS

Darkpen said:
I beat the game on Crushing a while ago. I don't know if I want to go through the game again to try and find all the relics and stuff or not. Should I?

If you want the trophies and 100% completion, as well as a formidable challenge.

Cravis

ggnoobIGN said:
Gamefly had it for 29.99 with free shipping. I think it's up to 35.00 now. Got mine there. Case and manual were brand new. Not a single smudge or fingerprint on the disc. I was impressed. Definitely will be using Gamefly again.

kuYuri

Oh man, look at this crazy glitch. It looks like Nathan broke his arm or something after fighting the pirates. :lol

It happened while I was facing the pirates right before the jet ski section in chapter XII. I took quick photos because I knew that when Nathan puts his gun away, the glitch would go away.

2edqxbm.jpg

1z4it14.jpg

Top Bottom