• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow reading this thread makes me feel like a gaming god. I had no trouble with Crushing Mode at any point, even the bits that took me multiple tries in earlier playthroughs I passed in one try (the final church visit, start of "Trapped" in the huge room in the Custom's House, that section in the sunken city when you get off the jetski for the first time and have to get to the tower, the room at the very end of the jungle area with a shitload of traps, the underground waterway in the fortress, etc) or at the very least only a couple (the first visit to the big open area that contains the library and church, the very beginning of "Unlocking the Past" where you have to go up some stairs and there is basically no cover, that bit where you have to jump down from the top of an arch in "The Sunken City", the epic battle bit in "The Bunker") .

But then my Crushing playthrough was my fourth playthrough since I bought the game two weeks earlier and I was at the point where I could basically map out every single room in my head (enemy spawn locations and where the best positions were).

It's funny because on my first playthrough I turned the difficulty down from normal to easy because I was having trouble. On my second playthrough I accidentally started the game on normal before lifting it up to hard (before the start of the second chapter) and I stupidly assumed I would still get the medal (and the subsequent unlocking of Crushing mode) if I later went back and did chapter 1 on a higher difficulty (Halo style).

In any case, unlocking the reward for medal points was well worth it. :lol
Bring on Uncharted 2!

Oh yeah and as a PS3 owner and a gamer in general this thread is kind of embarrassing, what with all the dumbass Kittonwy talk coming from everywhere.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
isamu said:
I can't believe you guys are complaining about the last boss fight! Even on Crushing, that fight is a walk in the park...

It wasn't a commentary on how 1337 or un133t I am. It was very easy. So much so that I wonder why I was asked to participate in it. I would have much rather been treated to an ending that wasn't marred by predictability and a sad little QTE FTW.

It felt very close to the deflation I experienced with the Bioshock ending. All those tools. All that gameplay. Discarded. And worst of all, replaced by something less interesting.

That's my complaint. And as noted, it doesn't ruin the game. It just detracted from the overall experience. Which makes me sad and angry because the rest was so phenomenal.

Grayman

urk said:
Oh, and let me just say that IGN took Uncharted down an entire point for some "screen tearing and texture pop-in," but just handed out a perfect 10 to GTA in their "exclusive" review.

I popped in GTAIV on the heels of finishing Uncharted and it's not even in the same ballpark graphically. Not a knock on Rockstar, or a statement designed to stir up shit, but more of a commentary on the horrible cesspool that is gaming "journalism."
A journalist, scratch that, anyone compared IV to Uncharted graphics. GTA 4 looks pretty good, especially considering it is a GTA game but it isn't near uncharted.

urk said:
It wasn't a commentary on how 1337 or un133t I am. It was very easy. So much so that I wonder why I was asked to participate in it. I would have much rather been treated to an ending that wasn't marred by predictability and a sad little QTE FTW.

It felt very close to the deflation I experienced with the Bioshock ending. All those tools. All that gameplay. Discarded. And worst of all, replaced by something less interesting.

That's my complaint. And as noted, it doesn't ruin the game. It just detracted from the overall experience. Which makes me sad and angry because the rest was so phenomenal.

its pretty much the same with the ending in crysis as well, but at least in both the visuals are still fantastic

urk said:
Oh, and let me just say that IGN took Uncharted down an entire point for some "screen tearing and texture pop-in," but just handed out a perfect 10 to GTA in their "exclusive" review.

I popped in GTAIV on the heels of finishing Uncharted and it's not even in the same ballpark graphically. Not a knock on Rockstar, or a statement designed to stir up shit, but more of a commentary on the horrible cesspool that is gaming "journalism."

yeah, that was a bit off... GTA looks great considering the scale and its rockstar who made it...but I think they gave crysis a 9.5 in graphics... yeah

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
isamu said:
I can't believe you guys are complaining about the last boss fight! Even on Crushing, that fight is a walk in the park compared to some of the other levels in the game
I can't believe anyone could find it easy on Crushing? I was getting stuck at most places you mentioned, but on that last level I was literally stuck for hours, and I knew (I think) everything that was supposed to make it easier.

Rez>You said:
Oh yeah and as a PS3 owner and a gamer in general this thread is kind of embarrassing, what with all the dumbass Kittonwy talk coming from everywhere.
It's almost without exception people who are late with playing the game who are bumping it from it's grave, but I'm sure no one sane would prefer them to start making LTTP threads instead.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
nelsonroyale said:
its pretty much the same with the ending in crysis as well, but at least in both the visuals are still fantastic

Eh, kinda. At least you still have all the weapons and the suit at your disposal. Crysis never asks you to abandon the core mechanic altogether. Yeah, at the very far end of things, you have to utilize a new tactic, but it's really only the finisher. The rest of the sequence, which is about 95% of the final encounter is just an open area with a pile of weapons and your nanosuit, which is pretty much how the rest of the game is setup.

Uncharted strips you of your weapons and then puts you in a whack-a-mole encounter. It really does feel like something out of an arcade shooter. Like I should have been depressing a pedal to get in and out of cover. The rest of the game lets you be somewhat inventive. You can reposition and flank. Use cover and shoot at distance. Close with the shotgun. Pitch grenades. Engage in hand to hand. But all of that will only get you killed in the final leg. There's really only the one way to progress. You're left to hide behind a crate and shoot. That's it.

Morue

I was wondering: has anyone ever tried to fail
the Navarro fight button
sequence to see what happens?

I'd like to try it myself but won't get my ps3 back before August...

Oh, and just wanted to say that Uncharted is the best game I've played in a very long time... Can't wait for the sequel!!!

urk said:
But all of that will only get you killed in the final leg. There's really only the one way to progress. You're left to hide behind a crate and shoot. That's it.

I don't think that's necessarily true - it's a tighter scenario so there is a lot less flexibility, but there's room for different tactics there.
I only found out on my third play-through that you can shoot out Navarro's crates on the first two sections to make him run for it early - then you can dispatch the other enemies as you like.

Gribbix

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167722 (The original source is joysti(q).)

There's a rumor that Uncharted is currently in the process of being optioned for a movie:
...a well-placed source close to the deal tells us that the movie rights to Naughty Dog's highly cinematic action-adventure game, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, have been optioned by Atlas Entertainment. There isn't much else to go on besides that; the project has yet to be formally announced and is still in the earliest stages (that is to say: being written). When asked for comment, an SCEA spokesperson told us, "We have not made any announcements regarding movie options."

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gribbix said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167722 (The original source is joysti(q).)

There's a rumor that Uncharted is currently in the process of being optioned for a movie:

indiana-jones-titles.jpg

EktorPR

I'll just copy and paste a post I wrote this morning on weplaythis' Uncharted group...thought you guys might enjoy it, too:

Traversing through the tropical island Uncharted takes place in, I found a few references from the developers (Naughty Dog) in the form of environments, to actual, real-life places. Living in a tropical island myself, I found said references to be not only tastefully-done, but quite true to their real-world counterparts. In particular, the fort you encounter at an early point in the game (Chapter 5, The Fortress or "El Fuerte"), I believe its design was inspired by Fort San Felipe del Morro, better known as "El Morro", and located here in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The fort's design in the game applies iconic elements of this real-life fort, like the bartizans or guerites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerite), known as "garitas" in spanish (and emblematic symbol of Old San Juan), and the massive high walls that fall into the ocean with vaulted rooms on its sides. The first time I arrived at said fort in the game, I inmediately thought of "El Morro"...the similarities between the two structures are striking, and clearly visible.

Below are some pics of the real fort for your perusal:

ElMorro2.jpg

ElMorro3.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
EktorPR said:
I'll just copy and paste a post I wrote this morning on weplaythis' Uncharted group...thought you guys might enjoy it, too:

Traversing through the tropical island Uncharted takes place in, I found a few references from the developers (Naughty Dog) in the form of environments, to actual, real-life places. Living in a tropical island myself, I found said references to be not only tastefully-done, but quite true to their real-world counterparts. In particular, the fort you encounter at an early point in the game (Chapter 5, The Fortress or "El Fuerte"), I believe its design was inspired by Fort San Felipe del Morro, better known as "El Morro", and located here in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The fort's design in the game applies iconic elements of this real-life fort, like the bartizans or guerites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerite), known as "garitas" in spanish (and emblematic symbol of Old San Juan), and the massive high walls that fall into the ocean with vaulted rooms on its sides. The first time I arrived at said fort in the game, I inmediately thought of "El Morro"...the similarities between the two structures are striking, and clearly visible.

Below are some pics of the real fort for your perusal:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/EktorOni/ElMorro2.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/EktorOni/ElMorro3.jpg

AFW real-life mimicking UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Tom Penny

This game had the best graphics i've seen on a console. Game was good to great until the last I think 3-4 levels when they did the "surprise". Those levels sucked donkey balls so instead of like a 9 from me i'd say 8.5. The ending portions really left a bad taste in my mouth. Good game but not great since there is also no multiplayer.

h3ro

Just picked it up! I was getting bored of GTA and found someone who would trade a new copy of Uncharted for my Ninja Gaiden Sigma... (I was a Ninja Dog... good riddance!) Plus, I got tired of getting messages from all you bastards for playing the demo all the time :p

This completes my Sony Holy Triforce of Wowhawk, Ratchet and now Uncharted... :lol

I feel AFW now... I'm gonna start playing ASAP, can't wait to see what it looks like on my Panny 700U!! :D :D :D

i'm not liking the gun play, it also becomes way too predictable when you're going to be fighting the stupid bad guys. the graphics are really nice, but they're lacking something, i'm not completely awed by it. i prefer cod4 to be honest. i'm about 35 or 40 percent in and i really don't feel interested by the story, they're not pushing it at all anymore like they were in the beginning, it's just some tomb raider shit followed by a crappy gun fight and some more tomb raider shit. it's not very imaginative. hopefully this changes.

i know i'll probably get teared apart but whatever, i've played this far and it's what i feel.

Pharmacy

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
i'm not liking the gun play, it also becomes way too predictable when you're going to be fighting the stupid bad guys. the graphics are really nice, but they're lacking something, i'm not completely awed by it. i prefer cod4 to be honest. i'm about 35 or 40 percent in and i really don't feel interested by the story, they're not pushing it at all anymore like they were in the beginning, it's just some tomb raider shit followed by a crappy gun fight and some more tomb raider shit. it's not very imaginative. hopefully this changes.

i know i'll probably get teared apart but whatever, i've played this far and it's what i feel.

dont worry bro ill defend u

Kittonwy

Banned
TemplaerDude said:

Uncharted's enemies are smarter than those in COD4, they don't flood the level until you get past an invisible line, they're not fodder, on crushing they pin you down while flank the crap out of you, there's nothing crappy about the gunfights.

Kittonwy

Banned
h3ro said:
Just picked it up! I was getting bored of GTA and found someone who would trade a new copy of Uncharted for my Ninja Gaiden Sigma... (I was a Ninja Dog... good riddance!) Plus, I got tired of getting messages from all you bastards for playing the demo all the time :p

This completes my Sony Holy Triforce of Wowhawk, Ratchet and now Uncharted... :lol

I feel AFW now... I'm gonna start playing ASAP, can't wait to see what it looks like on my Panny 700U!! :D :D :D

AFW indeed.
Indifferent2.gif

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TemplaerDude said:

You're a crazy man.

KZObsessed

isamu said:
I can't believe you guys are complaining about the last boss fight! Even on Crushing, that fight is a walk in the park compared to some of the other levels in the game, like the fight that comes after you climb down from Sullivan's crashed plane in chapter 4....JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That fight is just downright RETARDEDLY hard on Crushing! Also the gunfight in the grassy field near the sanctuary.....O-M-F-G- I was stuck on that fight for HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I just came in to post about this. Started playing Crushing today and I'm on that exact part. (After coming down from Sullivan's plane). I havn't had any major trouble up until that point but it's crazy. The A.I is so smart, they all come at you from different angles and work together to try and draw you out while someone flanks you. It's hard to isolate any of them.

I was hiding behind one piece of cover, and a guy comes rushing at me head on, he goes to the left side of the cover I'm behind, he then quickly checks and goes for the right hand side! He dummied me, so of course I'd aimed and fired to the left missing, frantically tried to reload, only had time to blind fire towards the right and blew his face away *phew*

It's the second wave of them that gets me, there's too many pirates at this point. You have to use all the tactics you can. Moving from cover to cover, blind firing, running and gunning, hand to hand combat and take them one at a time. I'm gonna give it another go 2moro, I don't want to give up DAMN IT!

wowfactor

Banned
I watched Gears 2 trailer and I can say this:
Uncharted still holds the calibre for the best looking next gen game. I don't want to post this over the Gears thread in fear of accusing me an instigator.

NameIess

Damn you guys are about to make me play through the game again on Crushing...
The last boss fight on Crushing was very difficult it took me several tries to complete.
I'm still spending a lot of time on GTA IV, but I may have to take a break for Uncharted.
Also, I completely agree the best looking game visually is Uncharted and then I would rank COD4 2nd and Gears Of War 3rd...
*I did not include GT5P, because it's in a league of it's own...*

After seeing the Killzone 2 footage in HD there's a good chance Uncharted will lose the crown, but we have not seen what Uncharted 2 will look like... That's the really exciting thing about the PS3; the sequels are looking significantly better from a visual perspective, because there's tons of computing power with the PS3. It definitively takes a lot more to tap the power of the console, but it has tons of head room and development techniques have changed significantly in the last 3 years regarding multi-threaded coding...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
NameIess said:
I'm still spending a lot of time on GTA IV, but I may have to take a break for Uncharted.

A word of caution: If you take a break from GTAIV to go play Uncharted, you may not want to go back to GTAIV. I am about 50% done with the SP mode in GTAIV and it is becoming EXTREMELY tedious and monotonous! I am deliberately playing the game every day so I can hurry up and get it done and over with. GTAIV has such a cheap and poorly designed gameplay/combat structure that if I stopped playing it to go play something else lime Uncharted or Gears, I may not have the desire to return.

Suffice to say, Uncharted absolutely shits all over GTAIV in terms of pure fun and combat. Uncharted on Crushing may be tough as nails, but at least it doesn't get tedious, monotonous and repetitive during missions like in GTAIV.

Sorry R*, you lose. Take a page out of Naughty Dogg's book next time.

Ramirez

TemplaerDude said:

I hear ya bro, the gun play in this game is so boring, I'm astounded every time I see dudes around here proclaiming it to be the second coming. I absolutely love the "Tomb Raider" segments though, good game, although a little overrated around here.

Ramirez said:
I hear ya bro, the gun play in this game is so boring, I'm astounded every time I see dudes around here proclaiming it to be the second coming. I absolutely love the "Tomb Raider" segments though, good game, although a little overrated around here.

I dunno, I actually found the gunplay to be fun, and I am not generally into shooters...probably because the AI is pretty good...it was particularly obvious playing it along side the poor AI of HL2

Ramirez said:

I enjoyed Uncharted's gunplay too. However, it took me an hour to really warm up to it. Of course uncharted was the first game I played utilizing the cover system. Had I played Gears of War, I might feel differently.

rod

Banned
TemplaerDude said:

pretty much how i feel.

i wouldnt compare it to cod4 tho, the games are way too different. but the gunplay action scenes in uncharted are SO boring and repetative. the story i like, but its not amazing. overall, uncharted, to me, was a good game. it gets way too much credit in my eyes. even for its visuals. its definetely one of the best looking games, but the way some people talk about it is like, uncharted and then a distant second place.

rod

Banned
Ramirez said:

yeah, the adventuring/puzzles/climbing stuff was great. if it wasnt for those sequences, i probably wouldnt have finished it.

i wasn't really comparing cod4 and uncharted completely, just the graphics. i prefer the gritty look of cod more, uncharted just seems to be lacking a kind of personal touch if you ask me.

as for the a.i., i played through cod4 on the ps3 on hardened and i think it's pretty equal. they both duck and cover and try to kill you, nothing special, no flanking or really any other sign of intelligence.

i do enjoy uncharted, in spurts, but i have to put it down pretty fast because i just get uninterested. i really hope they do more with the story soon. it seems interesting but right now i just don't feel like i have a goal. i'm just tomb raidering it up and killing random, obvious baddies.

BigBoss

There is no AI in COD4, its ridiculous that you even compare the AI in both games since Uncharted destroys COD4 in that regard.

BigBoss said:
There is no AI in COD4, its ridiculous that you even compare the AI in both games since Uncharted destroys COD4 in that regard.

have you played both games? i really can't understand how someone can say that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TemplaerDude said:
I've played both and COD4's AI really never gets that smart. Their bullets get more hurty, and they get a bit more suicidal, but that's about it. Uncharted's enemies actually create the illusion of intelligence.

DoomGyver

TemplaerDude said:
i wasn't really comparing cod4 and uncharted completely, just the graphics. i prefer the gritty look of cod more, uncharted just seems to be lacking a kind of personal touch if you ask me.

as for the a.i., i played through cod4 on the ps3 on hardened and i think it's pretty equal. they both duck and cover and try to kill you, nothing special, no flanking or really any other sign of intelligence.

i do enjoy uncharted, in spurts, but i have to put it down pretty fast because i just get uninterested. i really hope they do more with the story soon. it seems interesting but right now i just don't feel like i have a goal. i'm just tomb raidering it up and killing random, obvious baddies.

Have you played uncharted?

The AI not only uses cover effectively, it switches from each side of the cover attempting to gain a flank or angle on you. The AI even goes after you, for example when the demo came out, I was playing in the last scene where there is about 2 shotgunners and 5 pistol wielding men. I killed all but one of those men carrying a pistol, and I decided to play around with its AI. I started running around one of the larger pillers and I decided to change direction and cut back where I had come from you know what he did?

He back tracked as well and cut me off. He didn't stay on a consistent route until I evoked him, he changed his route to finish me off in CQC.

Uncharted's AI is very impressive.

Kittonwy

Banned
TemplaerDude said:

I have and COD4 AI is mediocre at best, enemies are fodder for the most part, in Uncharted each of them can present a significant threat, especially in the later stages.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
TemplaerDude said:

On hardened COD4 AI isn't even close (my first time through COD4 is on hardened), on hard Uncharted AI will actively try to outflank you WHILE USING COVER BY GOING FROM COVER SPOT TO COVER SPOT, on crushing they almost always get the chance to flank you before you cut them down because the enemies are better at pinning down the player since the player can only take three shots at most.

EktorPR

Awesome, KurowaSan. :D

Even the fort's lighthouse makes a "cameo" in Uncharted. Naughty Dog really did their homework. Here are a couple more pictures for your enjoyment:

san-felipe-inset.jpg

04fn033.jpg

41258826.6969ElMorro.jpg

By the way, the fort is fully-explorable, which reminds me...I haven't entered in a loooong time and the thing is literally 20 mins. away from home. It also has a sister fort, called San Cristóbal, which is actually bigger, although not as impressive (El Morro is located at the very entrance to San Juan Bay and placed there to defend the city from attacking ships...San Cristóbal was used for land attacks, mostly).

Kittonwy

Banned
shenmue mugen said:
WOW! Fastastic find on some of Naughty Dog inspirations for Uncharted. When will we have information on the sequel???

Richard Lemarchand got promoted to game director so he'll be directing the sequel methinks (Amy Hennig is now the creative director).
Indifferent2.gif

KurowaSan said:
okq0cw.jpg

not exactly the same thing, but man, it's so cool :lol

pix here
Every time i see screenshots in this thread it reminds me that i need to play the finish the game again on hard (not on crushing because im not that much of a sucker for punishment).
This game is so ridiculously gorgeous looking.

KZObsessed

I just completed Uncharted on Crushing! RAAAAAAWR! Took 11 hours 33 mins.

So hard yet sooo satisfying. Apart from a few frustrating parts (how is a Chapter 4 battle after you find the plane the hardest part of the game??) it was probably the most fun play-through and I completed it on Normal and Hard first.

Still remains my GOTY 2007, now I just have to find 5 more treasures and get one last reward.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
I just completed Uncharted on Crushing! RAAAAAAWR! Took 11 hours 33 mins.

So hard yet sooo satisfying. Apart from a few frustrating parts (how is a Chapter 4 battle after you find the plane the hardest part of the game??) it was probably the most fun play-through and I completed it on Normal and Hard first.

Still remains my GOTY 2007, now I just have to find 5 more treasures and get one last reward.

Between hard and crushing I still think crushing is more fun although I can probably get more creative on hard in terms of mixing up my tactics, on crushing there's always this sense of dire urgency.
angry.gif

Top Bottom