• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Firewire

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Oh man, look at this crazy glitch. It looks like Nathan broke his arm or something after fighting the pirates. :lol

It happened while I was facing the pirates right before the jet ski section in chapter XII. I took quick photos because I knew that when Nathan puts his gun away, the glitch would go away.

2edqxbm.jpg

1z4it14.jpg

:lol

Looks like he's chocking the.....

kuYuri

I just beat the game again on Hard. Damn, I forget how quick the end game comes.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to beat it at all today, but I'm glad I did. I last stopped at the customs house in chapter 10, then I just kept on playing and playing, not realizing how far I was getting. :lol

Rlan

I finished it today.

Frankly, I was disappointed with a whole lot of things in this game. Please note, I have played through Jak 1-3

- The covering system seems to only want to work half the time. The other half he's covering on a section clearly viewable to all enemies and gets you shot to death.

- There were some points where the save points were horribly placed. My main gripe is that there are so many points where enemies will start shooting at you before you can even see around that corner, and this becomes increasingly annoying right at the end of the game.

One of the restart points (In the cavern before
the Spaniards go all Zombie-Vampires-From-I-Am-Legend
where it spawned you right at a point where 3 guys start shooting at you straight away, meaning you have to shoot blindly until you hopefully hit them without you dying. Yuck.

The same sort of thing occurred right near the final point, just before you go on the dock o' crates There's a guy right around the corner with a AK who can kill you in a split second if you just ran into that point.

- The Button-Mash mini games suck. They're so sparse that you don't realize that they're coming. Same with the "Rock suddenly starts falling" points. There's one just before you have to climb to the top of the tower which, on the first two attempts would not recognize the ledge he's meant to grab.

- Things just aren't blatant enough sometimes. Two points I can recall - 1) The Barrel in the sewer system that's behind the gunman that's required to be shot. It's dark in the sewer, I can't see shit, 2) The lock on the outdoor gate in front of a huge hole. I just couldn't see it, even on my 32" TV. I had to get up close to the TV to actually see it. Don't put brown on brown!

- Many points where it looks like you should be able to make it to a ledge somewhere on a different path than what they want you to use. When you have to get up to the top of a door at some point they want you to walk to the very other side and make a trip across vines and bricks, but there is a small ledge you SHOULD be able to step on much closer which could easily reach the top but it doesn't allow you to step there. That sort of thing should be changed so it doesn't even LOOK like you can make it that way.

- Fuck those guys with laser sights.

- Fuck the
Zompires
and their ability to suddenly get a one-hit-kill on occasion.

- Fuck the final boss and his god damn super-gun and his super-accuracy.

Now that that's out of the way, graphics look pretty good, especially the cut scenes, the character movement - for the most part - works fine. The puzzles are usually a lot of fun and seeing the player barely make it is great. Once it turns straight into a full blown 3rd person shooter though, I think falls a bit flat.

I honestly cannot see how this game got all the 10's and 9's that it did. If I were reviewing it, I'd give it a 7. It just had so many frustrating problems that I just didn't seem to enjoy it like plenty of others have. I just can't see how it didn't get below an 8 even once.

Hate me now, Kittonwy ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
Rlan said:
I finished it today.

Frankly, I was disappointed with a whole lot of things in this game. Please note, I have played through Jak 1-3

- The covering system seems to only want to work half the time. The other half he's covering on a section clearly viewable to all enemies and gets you shot to death.

Your point makes no sense, the cover system works very well, it's the best cover system out there, there's no need to fucking wait for a button prompt, you can take cover with just about anything, covers are relatively safe unless you're in fact flanked by the enemies, and you can either vault over cover or go around it, no other game out there right now even lets the player climb a wall or a pillar or a ledge to use that as cover to shoot over. If you're getting killed, it means you're exposed, and that some enemy has you flanked.

- There were some points where the save points were horribly placed. My main gripe is that there are so many points where enemies will start shooting at you before you can even see around that corner, and this becomes increasingly annoying right at the end of the game.

This is one of the games with the best automatic save points, part of the reason why it's still very doable on crushing, considering how many people in this thread actually finished the game on the highest difficulty, I would say the game is very well paced and the save points are very fairly implemented, once again you're incorrect.

where it spawned you right at a point where 3 guys start shooting at you straight away, meaning you have to shoot blindly until you hopefully hit them without you dying. Yuck.

They don't. Do you just rush right into the middle of a level all the time? Opposing enemies would take themselves out.

The same sort of thing occurred right near the final point, just before you go on the dock o' crates There's a guy right around the corner with a AK who can kill you in a split second if you just ran into that point.

There are no instances where the player can be killed in a split second, since the only thing that CAN kill the player in a split second would be magnum/sniper rifle/shotgun, and NONE of those enemies actually spawn at the entrance to a level, guys with AK would take 3 shots to kill the player on CRUSHING, on hard 5 shots, and more shots on easier levels. Once again you are incorrect.

- The Button-Mash mini games suck. They're so sparse that you don't realize that they're coming. Same with the "Rock suddenly starts falling" points. There's one just before you have to climb to the top of the tower which, on the first two attempts would not recognize the ledge he's meant to grab.

Outside of the "mash to pull the chain", for the reaction button press you only have to press ONE button, ONCE, you don't have to mash anything. They're not meant to be frequent because QTEs in general suck shit.

- Things just aren't blatant enough sometimes. Two points I can recall - 1) The Barrel in the sewer system that's behind the gunman that's required to be shot. It's dark in the sewer, I can't see shit, 2) The lock on the outdoor gate in front of a huge hole. I just couldn't see it, even on my 32" TV. I had to get up close to the TV to actually see it. Don't put brown on brown!

1) They give you a fucking grenade launcher in the level, barrels are red, background is usually grey, so I'm not sure why you couldn't see a red object in a grey background.
2) Those locks are pretty big.

- Many points where it looks like you should be able to make it to a ledge somewhere on a different path than what they want you to use. When you have to get up to the top of a door at some point they want you to walk to the very other side and make a trip across vines and bricks, but there is a small ledge you SHOULD be able to step on much closer which could easily reach the top but it doesn't allow you to step there. That sort of thing should be changed so it doesn't even LOOK like you can make it that way.

Not sure wtf you're talking about, they usually label the reachable spots pretty well.

Guy with laser sights = desert eagle, those are the best.

- Fuck the
Zompires

I suggest that you don't try to melee them, they don't kill until the second hit, ALWAYS, and we're talking about crushing, so your point is incorrect.

Learn to take cover?

Now that that's out of the way, graphics look pretty good, especially the cut scenes, the character movement - for the most part - works fine. The puzzles are usually a lot of fun and seeing the player barely make it is great. Once it turns straight into a full blown 3rd person shooter though, I think falls a bit flat.

The 3rd person shooter bit is probably the best out there in terms of execution, I'd like to see you find a 3rd person shooter with better AI than Uncharted on crushing.

I honestly cannot see how this game got all the 10's and 9's that it did. If I were reviewing it, I'd give it a 7. It just had so many frustrating problems that I just didn't seem to enjoy it like plenty of others have. I just can't see how it didn't get below an 8 even once.

I give your review a 0. It seems you were just trying to rush through the game and in the process got killed a bunch of times and bitch about things even when there's really not much to bitch about, many of your points aren't even valid, some are blatantly false, I reject your review.

Hate me now, Kittonwy ;)

Or I can just put you on ignore from now on since I don't really trust your taste in games at all.
gladtomeetya.gif

It seems that you're doing something wrong here, just press O and Nathan hides in the first thing that's in front of him. It works flawlessly 100% of the time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Kittonwy said:
Or I can just put you on ignore from now on since I don't really trust your taste in games at all.
gladtomeetya.gif

christ, you really are a piece of work

Rlan I'd agree with your statement that the game is overrated, but not for any of the reasons you state (at least most of them). I found the gameplay in itself mostly smooth and well executed. My thoughts from a lttp thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11381587&postcount=90
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11381632&postcount=92

The game really flows in a way that you're only satisfied once you beat it and it's hard to put down, but once it's done I quickly forgot about it. The campaign length was perfect though.

RockmanWhore said:
It seems that you're doing something wrong here, just press O and Nathan hides in the first thing that's in front of him. It works flawlessly 100% of the time.
I don't think he's complaining that he doesn't work right. It sounds like he's try to seek cover in open view of the enemy. He is just picking the wrong places to hide; this is huge near the end of the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Darunia said:
christ, you really are a piece of work

Rlan I'd agree with your statement that is game is overrated, but not for any of the reasons you state (at least most of them). I found the gameplay in itself mostly smooth and well executed. My thoughts from a lttp thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11381587&postcount=90
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11381632&postcount=92

The game really flows in a way that you're only satisfied once you beat it and it's hard to put down, but once it's done I quickly forgot about it. The campaign length was perfect though.

Opinion on an opinion etc etc.

If someone is going to shit on a game, at least give valid reasons. I don't believe the game is perfect, because I would like to see more puzzles and platforming and true boss fights, but what it did, it did extremely well, people can complain about the twist or the lack of true boss fights, I have no problem with that, but don't bitch about the game's mechanics or how the save points are placed because that's something Uncharted did better than most games out there. Dude can obviously express his opinion on the game, but there's no requirement that I should respect that particular opinion when much of the complaints are based on things that are simply not true.
Indifferent2.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Kittonwy said:
Opinion on an opinion etc etc.

If someone is going to shit on a game, at least give valid reasons. I don't believe the game is perfect, because I would like to see more puzzles and platforming and true boss fights, but what it did, it did extremely well, people can complain about the twist or the lack of true boss fights, I have no problem with that, but don't bitch about the game's mechanics or how the save points are placed because that's something Uncharted did better than most games out there. Dude can obviously express his opinion on the game, but there's no requirement that I should respect that particular opinion when much of the complaints are based on things that are simply not true.
Indifferent2.gif

eh agreed, but my comment wasn't about that. putting someone on ignore because of different game opinions? I hope you were joking

Kittonwy

Banned
Darunia said:
eh agreed, but my comment wasn't about that. putting someone on ignore because of different game opinions? I hope you were joking

Different is one thing, some people just have really, I don't want to be mean or anything, bad gaming opinions and I would rather not have to read about them. If someone is going to shit on a game, at least give legitimate reasons, no one is obligated to read everything everybody posts here.

I think Uncharted is a great game, not everybody has to feel the same way, you might not necessarily love it the way that I do, I just find it strange to see someone nitpick on things the game actually does well.

DCharlie post whatever you want, I can't see it anyway (unless I click on view post).
Indifferent2.gif

Rlan said:
Hate me now, Kittonwy ;)

This is exactly like the "review" my overweight uncle tried to give me about Super Mario Galaxy. Moving mario around would cause his whale flipper of a arm to get sore and he would just curse and curse mario OMG he would say the controls are so terrible and once he thought the controls were terrible everything became terrible. Ahhh my poor uncle.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think Uncharted is a great game, not everybody has to feel the same way

but everyone who says it not GOTY or whatever gets a "i give your review a 0" Woof bark dog chimbowow mel gibson in the fire with fish and chips style levels of mongbertness.

jonnyp

Rlan said:
I finished it today.

- Fuck the
Zompires

Hate me now, Kittonwy ;)

I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote. Seems to me that you don't know how to play the game more than anything else.

acevans2

jonnyp said:
I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote. Seems to me that you don't know how to play the game more than anything else.
I wouldn't say that at all. I disagree with him on most of it, though. It just seems like the game didn't click with him like it did with me and many other people who love it.

The game just has a vibe that I can't get enough of, and it's disappointing to me to see some people nitpick about those things, most of which aren't even valid complaints.

The thread that just keeps on ticking.

Just fantastic, I love this game. In which case I disagree with a majority of Rlan's review. Meh, can't win them all, but it won me over.

Uncharted 2, please.

Rlan

Kittonwy said:
Your point makes no sense, the cover system works very well, it's the best cover system out there, there's no need to fucking wait for a button prompt, you can take cover with just about anything, covers are relatively safe unless you're in fact flanked by the enemies, and you can either vault over cover or go around it, no other game out there right now even lets the player climb a wall or a pillar or a ledge to use that as cover to shoot over. If you're getting killed, it means you're exposed, and that some enemy has you flanked.

Of course I'm pressing Circle, the problem is that he's deciding to take cover on, say, the inside of an archway and NOT the area on the other side where'd he'd be covered from fire. Say I'm a little out from the arch, (Not directly inside it where that would be the closest point), he'd still decide to take cover in full view.

This is one of the games with the best automatic save points, part of the reason why it's still very doable on crushing, considering how many people in this thread actually finished the game on the highest difficulty, I would say the game is very well paced and the save points are very fairly implemented, once again you're incorrect.

They don't. Do you just rush right into the middle of a level all the time? Opposing enemies would take themselves out.

No, I would take a SINGLE step forward and they'd all rush out. These guys are about a floor above the player on a walkway, roughly 3 of them. Due to them all deciding to shoot at once, it would be an 'instant' kill. The only way I could get past it was to immediately dodge to the side and recover from a near-white screen.

There are no instances where the player can be killed in a split second, since the only thing that CAN kill the player in a split second would be magnum/sniper rifle/shotgun, and NONE of those enemies actually spawn at the entrance to a level, guys with AK would take 3 shots to kill the player on CRUSHING, on hard 5 shots, and more shots on easier levels. Once again you are incorrect.

I'm being harsh when I said "split second". However this character spawns to the right of the player once they walk out of a small corridor, and is aiming directly at you. I would not expect to be shot as soon as I walk into a room - the game had already conditioned the "walk into a room, hear some ramblings, go and hide, start fight' and this point went against this.

Outside of the "mash to pull the chain", for the reaction button press you only have to press ONE button, ONCE, you don't have to mash anything. They're not meant to be frequent because QTEs in general suck shit.

Button smashing GOW-Opening-Doors style is fine with me, I'm talking about the QTEs in general, which there were.. two? They should have been taken out completely.

1) They give you a fucking grenade launcher in the level, barrels are red, background is usually grey, so I'm not sure why you couldn't see a red object in a grey background.
2) Those locks are pretty big.

The barrel is essentially hidden, the dull coloured barrel inside a blue-grey sewers. By the point I had killed the guy and moved on into the next door, which is fairly far away from the barrel itself.

Not sure wtf you're talking about, they usually label the reachable spots pretty well.

They usually do, this was just a few points where this occured. Another was in the room where you have to make the two 'keys' come down - there are some points in here where it looks like you could very well make it over a few jumps, but you're just a little too far away from it.

Guy with laser sights = desert eagle, those are the best.

Oh yeah, but it doesn't change that they're a pain in the arse :)

I suggest that you don't try to melee them, they don't kill until the second hit, ALWAYS, and we're talking about crushing, so your point is incorrect.

I don't try and melee them [or anything] at all, this is purely shooting them, them coming up to me, and them taking a swing and killing me straight away. This only happened once or twice, but this was the LAST guy to kill and I go from "full colour" to death.

Learn to take cover?

:)

The 3rd person shooter bit is probably the best out there in terms of execution, I'd like to see you find a 3rd person shooter with better AI than Uncharted on crushing.

I did notice that the AI was getting a bit more smarter - or daring at least - during the Church segment at the end. What I meant as 'flat' was that it was getting a little repetitive. I really liked the climbing stuff, like when you're getting into the Sub at the beginning or climbing around the sea side building, but closer to the end it just started getting more and more guns guns guns.

It's probably because I'm just not expecting it at that point. I've finally solved some elaborate puzzle to get into a room nobody has been in for hundreds of years, and there are a bunch of bad guys in there?

I give your review a 0. It seems you were just trying to rush through the game and in the process got killed a bunch of times and bitch about things even when there's really not much to bitch about, many of your points aren't even valid, some are blatantly false, I reject your review.

My total time is 7 hours and 37 minutes. I wasn't trying to rush through the game at all, these are all things that I experienced through the game and I wanted to vent.

This is exactly like the "review" my overweight uncle tried to give me about Super Mario Galaxy. Moving mario around would cause his whale flipper of a arm to get sore and he would just curse and curse mario OMG he would say the controls are so terrible and once he thought the controls were terrible everything became terrible. Ahhh my poor uncle.

WTF?

I've completed the full game now, how could I possibly not know how to play it?

In terms of the vibe I guess I didn't get it. I thought the music was fantastic, but the overall adventure didn't grab me a whole lot.

Greg

I think the less you played the demo, the more frustrating the game was on your first playthrough/initial hours - you said the game took you 7 hours to beat... I probably spent 4 on the demo alone, ha.

Burned through the game 3 or 4 times in the first two weeks after launch, and the entire combat system didn't completely click with me until I was on my last play-though on crushing - you really can abuse/rush the AI more than you think you should be able to.

The one problem I had with the game was that despite the focus on cover, the entire cover mechanic from a standing position was NOT needed. If you were ever getting fired on near standing-height cover, you could exploit the system and just hide behind the cover in over-the-shoulder camera and gain more mobility, visibility, and accuracy - hell, some angles while doing that allowed you to attack the enemy without any reaction.

Kittonwy

Banned
Rlan said:
Of course I'm pressing Circle, the problem is that he's deciding to take cover on, say, the inside of an archway and NOT the area on the other side where'd he'd be covered from fire. Say I'm a little out from the arch, (Not directly inside it where that would be the closest point), he'd still decide to take cover in full view.

You need to be close enough to the cover you want to use in order to use it.

No, I would take a SINGLE step forward and they'd all rush out. These guys are about a floor above the player on a walkway, roughly 3 of them. Due to them all deciding to shoot at once, it would be an 'instant' kill. The only way I could get past it was to immediately dodge to the side and recover from a near-white screen.

Which area, near the sub? I'm not sure which area you're referring to because this never happened to me, can you be more specific?

I'm being harsh when I said "split second". However this character spawns to the right of the player once they walk out of a small corridor, and is aiming directly at you. I would not expect to be shot as soon as I walk into a room - the game had already conditioned the "walk into a room, hear some ramblings, go and hide, start fight' and this point went against this.

Once again I'm not sure which area you're referring to since the game usually gives the player time to assess the surroundings, more often than not you can get the drop on the enemies.

Button smashing GOW-Opening-Doors style is fine with me, I'm talking about the QTEs in general, which there were.. two? They should have been taken out completely.

There were what? Two or three instances where you have to press the button once? Personally I'm not a fan of QTEs but I didn't think they were badly done in Uncharted.

The barrel is essentially hidden, the dull coloured barrel inside a blue-grey sewers. By the point I had killed the guy and moved on into the next door, which is fairly far away from the barrel itself.

The barrel is red against a grey background, any brighter it would have been ridiculous, and you don't HAVE to use the barrel.

They usually do, this was just a few points where this occured. Another was in the room where you have to make the two 'keys' come down - there are some points in here where it looks like you could very well make it over a few jumps, but you're just a little too far away from it.

I disagree on that point, I thought they were pretty reasonably spaced out, I don't mind using cheat jumps, I think I did that to get my 60th treasure in the last level but frankly it's not something that I would complain about if I try a cheat jump and fail, the jump paths are pretty well laid out, the player pretty much knows where to go once he has figured out the general path, I thought the platforming in the church was rather reasonable, I don't remember any instances where I had that urge to do a cheat jump, or else I would have tried it.

They're supposed to be a pain in the ass, otherwise they would be just like those weaksauce pirates.

I don't try and melee them [or anything] at all, this is purely shooting them, them coming up to me, and them taking a swing and killing me straight away. This only happened once or twice, but this was the LAST guy to kill and I go from "full colour" to death.

Like I've said, they can't kill you in one swipe, you might have been hit once before you got the fatal blow, they kill in two hits.

gladtomeetya.gif

I did notice that the AI was getting a bit more smarter - or daring at least - during the Church segment at the end. What I meant as 'flat' was that it was getting a little repetitive. I really liked the climbing stuff, like when you're getting into the Sub at the beginning or climbing around the sea side building, but closer to the end it just started getting more and more guns guns guns.

Try crushing if you really want to see the AI shine, the fewer shots you can take, the longer you have to spend in cover, the more time for the AI to try to work from cover to cover to flank you while some of them try to pin you down.

Like I said I could use more platforming and puzzles, shooting really ended up being the meat of the game but I liked the shooting alot, maybe people were expecting sort of a tomb raider clone or something.

It's probably because I'm just not expecting it at that point. I've finally solved some elaborate puzzle to get into a room nobody has been in for hundreds of years, and there are a bunch of bad guys in there?

Well they have a helicopter so they can go anywhere, plus they have explosive barrels, so they can get to places faster than Drake can by brute force, you know, the power of the barrelz and all.

My total time is 7 hours and 37 minutes. I wasn't trying to rush through the game at all, these are all things that I experienced through the game and I wanted to vent.

Well ok then.

gladtomeetya.gif

So, I'm playing through Uncharted on Crushing to unlock the last three medals I need (obviously
finish the game on crushing, but also kill 3 guys with one explosion 10x, and also kills with the dragon
).

I am not enjoying playing Uncharted on Crushing at all; it is a chore and I find myself wanting to hurl my controller at the screen at frequent intervals. I completed Call of Duty 4 on veteran (in fact that was the first difficulty I played on) and never had this problem; when COD4 got tough and no headway was being made, it was still fun to play, with only a single exception: the missile silos.

In contrast, I find all of the major gunfights on Crushing to be the same as that missile silo section: devoid of fun. Whereas I usually play games (including Uncharted) in long sessions of about 4-5 hours, I find myself giving up after about 2 hours on Crushing because I cannot bear to play any longer. It is just too tedious.

Let me outline my criticisms more succinctly. It is not that it is too hard; there isn't really any one particular area where I've been stuck (I'm currently up to the large round room just after the outdoor balcony section at the customs house), although there are many gunfights that I've had to replay ad nauseum. The problem is not that the difficult combat sections are difficult, it's that they're not fun. If one enemy is shooting at you, easy. If two are shooting at you, no problem. If three are shooting at you, you cannot do anything except wait to be killed (unless you can use a blindfired grenade to reduce the number of people shooting at you to two).

The sections with Elena are simple because she draws enough fire that you can shoot at the bad guys. But at any other time, once three people are firing at you, you cannot fire back at them without dying. Even blindfiring a weapon will usually get you killed. So getting through each battle becomes about knowing who spawns where and when, and hoping for some snap headshots to make sure that you never end up with three guys shooting at you. A single miss in a 'chain' of necessary shots equals death. On all of the other difficulty levels, while you often get pinned down, you still have the option of returning fire (when they're reloading etc) and so you are still 'involved' in the fight. But on Crushing, once you have three enemies firing at you it's just a matter of waiting for your inevitable death as they flank you, and there's nothing you can do about it.

To be honest, i will slog through it and finish the game on Crushing because I'm a completionist, but I can't see me playing Uncharted again after that because this mode has taken the shine off it for me. I wouldn't recommend Crushing for anyone else who hasn't attempted it yet, my advice is not to bother with it.

Maggot9

Banned
endlessflood said:
So, I'm playing through Uncharted on Crushing to unlock the last three medals I need (obviously
finish the game on crushing, but also kill 3 guys with one explosion 10x, and also kills with the dragon
).

I am not enjoying playing Uncharted on Crushing at all; it is a chore and I find myself wanting to hurl my controller at the screen at frequent intervals. I completed Call of Duty 4 on veteran (in fact that was the first difficulty I played on) and never had this problem; when COD4 got tough and no headway was being made, it was still fun to play, with only a single exception: the missile silos.

In contrast, I find all of the major gunfights on Crushing to be the same as that missile silo section: devoid of fun. Whereas I usually play games (including Uncharted) in long sessions of about 4-5 hours, I find myself giving up after about 2 hours on Crushing because I cannot bear to play any longer. It is just too tedious.

Let me outline my criticisms more succinctly. It is not that it is too hard; there isn't really any one particular area where I've been stuck (I'm currently up to the large round room just after the outdoor balcony section at the customs house), although there are many gunfights that I've had to replay ad nauseum. The problem is not that the difficult combat sections are difficult, it's that they're not fun. If one enemy is shooting at you, easy. If two are shooting at you, no problem. If three are shooting at you, you cannot do anything except wait to be killed (unless you can use a blindfired grenade to reduce the number of people shooting at you to two).

The sections with Elena are simple because she draws enough fire that you can shoot at the bad guys. But at any other time, once three people are firing at you, you cannot fire back at them without dying. Even blindfiring a weapon will usually get you killed. So getting through each battle becomes about knowing who spawns where and when, and hoping for some snap headshots to make sure that you never end up with three guys shooting at you. A single miss in a 'chain' of necessary shots equals death. On all of the other difficulty levels, while you often get pinned down, you still have the option of returning fire (when they're reloading etc) and so you are still 'involved' in the fight. But on Crushing, once you have three enemies firing at you it's just a matter of waiting for your inevitable death as they flank you, and there's nothing you can do about it.

To be honest, i will slog through it and finish the game on Crushing because I'm a completionist, but I can't see me playing Uncharted again after that because this mode has taken the shine off it for me. I wouldn't recommend Crushing for anyone else who hasn't attempted it yet, my advice is not to bother with it.

COD4 on veteran is WAY more hard than Uncharted on Crushing. If you die on Crushing, it's your fault. If you die on Veteran, more than likely it was the game's fault.

Finished Uncharted for the first time about two weeks ago. Easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years. E3 is just around the corner, and a teaser for part 2 would fucking rock.

Maggot9 said:
COD4 on veteran is WAY more hard than Uncharted on Crushing. If you die on Crushing, it's your fault. If you die on Veteran, more than likely it was the game's fault.
The difficulty of COD4 on veteran is overrated. It is a lot of fun actually, apart from the missile silos. I would recommend that people play COD4 on veteran to begin with as I did - I'm no FPS demon, and I still really enjoyed it.

Whereas Uncharted on Crushing just ruins the game. I would advise always playing on Hard rather than Crushing.

Pojo

Banned
I beat it today for the second time. It's truly a wonderful game, even if I swear some of the treasures are impossible to find. :(

The game does have a ton of glitches though, yeah? Every time I play it something goes wrong with the sound, or a texture refuses to pop in until I save or reload the game.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Someone find that pic of the houses that got washed away and againts that bridge in the Midwest, theres like a hundred barrels washed up against them......... then chop Drake in there and some Lama's.......... WIN.

Pojo said:
I beat it today for the second time. It's truly a wonderful game, even if I swear some of the treasures are impossible to find. :(

The game does have a ton of glitches though, yeah? Every time I play it something goes wrong with the sound, or a texture refuses to pop in until I save or reload the game.
I'm actually yet to come across any glitches in my copy of Uncharted, apart from some minor texture issues with some of the unlockable costumes.

AKS

Rlan said:

:)

WTF?

I've completed the full game now, how could I possibly not know how to play it?

In terms of the vibe I guess I didn't get it. I thought the music was fantastic, but the overall adventure didn't grab me a whole lot.

I take it you've nener played Gears of War if grabbing the wrong wall for cover in a doorway surprised you. It's much worse in Gears because the areas are often very narrow, whereas Uncharted tends to have somewhat more open areas.

As for the rest, especially pertaining to the controls, I disagree. I have 100% completion in Uncharted, so know that some of the criticisms of your comments are coming from people who may know the game you are attacking a bit better than you.

Regarding the vibe, see an Indiana Jones film.

pj

Banned
I recently beat the game for the first time. I think its flaws stand out so much more because of how much I otherwise love the game, and I think a lot of the flaws are related to their insecurity over the length.

There's too many waves of enemies in almost every encounter.
Enemies take too many body shots to kill.
You shouldn't be restricted to one real weapon and a pistol.
Ammo limits are too restrictive
Explosive barrels in the levels are lazy, naughty dog should be above them
Explosive barrels in the jet ski parts are even worse
Since I lose health so quickly, I feel like I'm being forced to use cover, which makes combat less fun than it should be
When I discover some ancient room not seen by humans for hundreds of years, why the fuck are there a dozen bad guys right around the corner? That really kills the exploration.
The game is 7 hours long, and would have probably been closer to 5 if they had taken the annoying stuff out.
Most of the time it's SUPER linear
Puzzles weren't very good
Using melee is suicide most of the time because popping out of cover for more than 1 second is risky business and the 2x ammo is stupid because the ammo limits are so low that my guns are always full anyway.

The story, characters, environments and basic gameplay were all great. I hope they can fix all the stupid little shit I complained about, make it about twice as long, and NOT ADD MULTIPLAYER, FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS, DO NOT DO IT.

Atrus

Gold Member
pj325is said:
I recently beat the game for the first time. I think its flaws stand out so much more because of how much I otherwise love the game, and I think a lot of the flaws are related to their insecurity over the length.

There's too many waves of enemies in almost every encounter.
Enemies take too many body shots to kill.
You shouldn't be restricted to one real weapon and a pistol.
Ammo limits are too restrictive
Explosive barrels in the levels are lazy, naughty dog should be above them
Explosive barrels in the jet ski parts are even worse
Since I lose health so quickly, I feel like I'm being forced to use cover, which makes combat less fun than it should be
When I discover some ancient room not seen by humans for hundreds of years, why the fuck are there a dozen bad guys right around the corner? That really kills the exploration.
The game is 7 hours long, and would have probably been closer to 5 if they had taken the annoying stuff out.
Most of the time it's SUPER linear
Puzzles weren't very good
Using melee is suicide most of the time because popping out of cover for more than 1 second is risky business and the 2x ammo is stupid because the ammo limits are so low that my guns are always full anyway.

The story, characters, environments and basic gameplay were all great. I hope they can fix all the stupid little shit I complained about, make it about twice as long, and NOT ADD MULTIPLAYER, FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS, DO NOT DO IT.

Some of these criticisms do not make sense. You don't want many enemies yet you also want them to go down in fewer shots, and you also want to have a much larger lifespan, a larger ammo capacity, and the ability to carry multiple weapons.

IMO it sounds as if this game was too difficult for you and your trying to displace that as a game flaw.

Melee is also useful for grabbing ammo on certain weapons for crushing, like the deagle or just plain saving ammo in the first place. Not to mention that it allows you to do stealth take downs in several areas like prior to the waterfall and just before you get the first grenade gun on the cliff path leading to the fortress.

It should also be noted that Drake never gets into a room undiscovered for centuries with a dozen pirates already there. In almost every instance plot wise, Drake is just a step behind them and enters these same areas through the route Sir Drake plotted out, as opposed to just blasting explosives to get there.

Uncharted is such an awesome game. It was easily my favorite ps3 game until MGS4 came out.

J&D was my favorite ps2 series after MGS last gen, and Uncharted has made me love Naughty Dog all the more. Please announce Uncharted 2 or J&D 4 at E3! :D

Kittonwy

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
Uncharted is such an awesome game. It was easily my favorite ps3 game until MGS4 came out.

J&D was my favorite ps2 series after MGS last gen, and Uncharted has made me love Naughty Dog all the more. Please announce Uncharted 2 or J&D 4 at E3! :D

UNCHARTED 2 FIRST!!!111!!!
angry.gif

Then J&D4.
gladtomeetya.gif

pj

Banned
Atrus said:
Some of these criticisms do not make sense. You don't want many enemies yet you also want them to go down in fewer shots, and you also want to have a much larger lifespan, a larger ammo capacity, and the ability to carry multiple weapons.

IMO it sounds as if this game was too difficult for you and your trying to displace that as a game flaw.

Very few games are "too hard for me." I beat halo 3 on legendary, cod4 on veteran, including that stupid fucking end mission, as well as many others. One problem with the game's difficulty, though, is that Naughty dog's idea of normal is most companies' idea of hard. But it's not the difficulty that bothers me, it's the frustration of the clearly artificial methods they are using to pad the game's length. They even talked about it in their postmortem in game developer magazine. Players complained that enemies took too long to kill, so they reduced the amount of HP (not enough imo) and added more waves. An encounter is only fun for so long, and uncharted usually dragged them out longer than it should have. The reason why I don't like the waves is that it's basically making you play the same encounter 3 times, instead of having 1 larger encounter or 3 spaced out unique ones. More health, weapons and ammo would facilitate larger encounters with more combat options.

Melee is also useful for grabbing ammo on certain weapons for crushing, like the deagle or just plain saving ammo in the first place. Not to mention that it allows you to do stealth take downs in several areas like prior to the waterfall and just before you get the first grenade gun on the cliff path leading to the fortress.

That's another thing I forgot to mention, the enemies have super senses and usually see you before you can get a shot off. "Several areas" of stealth take downs is not really that great. You should have the jump on them in at least half of the encounters.

It should also be noted that Drake never gets into a room undiscovered for centuries with a dozen pirates already there. In almost every instance plot wise, Drake is just a step behind them and enters these same areas through the route Sir Drake plotted out, as opposed to just blasting explosives to get there.

Yeah, it's bullshit that they're always a step ahead of me. It's an excuse to make you fight more dudes. If I were designing the game.. The game would be in two distinct sections, combat sections and exploration/puzzle sections. 90% of combat would happen while you're on your way to the exploration sections, and the remaining 10% would be surpise encounters while you're exploring. The game now has way too much combat during exploration. Every time I enter a cool new area, I look around for a few seconds and then realize that around the corner there will inevitably be some dudes waiting to shoot me.

Another problem with the encounters is the predictability. They're always either: grunt grunt grunt shotgun dude or grunt grunt grunt grenade launcher dude. Sometimes with a stupid turret for suppression that nears explosive barrel levels of bullshitery. Hopefully uncharted 2 will be a similarly large fleshing out of the world as jak 1 -> jak 2 was. Without the emo bs of course

Kittonwy

Banned
It's not true that you can't get a kill before they notice you, actually in a lot of areas it's highly possible to sneak in a headshot before they can even see you. The game is very well-balanced in terms of difficulty and controls, even on crushing is very beatable, so I don't get the whole "oh Naughty Dog's normal is like every other developer's hard" comment.

If we're talking about actual shots that hit the enemies, they don't take that many shots to kill, three to four for pirates and five to six for mercs because they wear bullet-proof vests, the difficulty is not artificially inflated either, all the game does is take away how many shots you can take, from five on hard to three on crushing, the player will always take cover for longer and the AI almost always get more time to figure out a way to flank the player. Even when they send a few waves it's not like we're talking about COD4 cheap-ass bullshit fodder waves, it's only 3 to 4 enemies.
Indifferent2.gif

pj

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's not true that you can't get a kill before they notice you, actually in a lot of areas it's highly possible to sneak in a headshot before they can even see you. The game is very well-balanced in terms of difficulty and controls, even on crushing is very beatable, so I don't get the whole "oh Naughty Dog's normal is like every other developer's hard" comment.

I wasn't trying to rambo the game, but I'm also not going to play it like MGS just so I can get 1 kill off before they start pummeling me. I very rarely saw opportunities to kill before they saw me. Also, sneaking in a headshot isn't even a guaranteed kill in this game. In one encounter, I was looking for the last enemy, I came up behind him while he was behind cover, shooting at the old guy, and I literally had to shoot him THREE TIMES in the head with my pistol to kill him. Once knocked off the helmet and it took 2 shots directly into the back of his head, from 5' away, to kill him.

I play a lot of games, "normal" for me usually means I can beat the game almost without dying. That was not the case with uncharted. I doubt you'd have any trouble finding many, many people who agree with my opinion on the difficulty. The beatability of crushing has nothing to do with normal.

If we're talking about actual shots that hit the enemies, they don't take that many shots to kill, three to four for pirates and five to six for mercs because they wear bullet-proof vests, the difficulty is not artificially inflated either, all the game does is take away how many shots you can take, from five on hard to three on crushing, the player will always take cover for longer and the AI almost always get more time to figure out a way to flank the player. Even when they send a few waves it's not like we're talking about COD4 cheap-ass bullshit fodder waves, it's only 3 to 4 enemies.
Indifferent2.gif

three to four shots my ass. Dudes just flop around doing the mambo while you unload half an M4 clip into them. That same half m4 clip in cod4 could kill probably 6 people. Not to mention the fact that you can carry several hundred more bullets for that gun in cod4.

Uncharted's waves are bullshit, just like cod4's infinitely respawning enemies are bullshit, they're just different flavors of it. You can't say "it's only 3 to 4 enemies." Any enemy in uncharted will take more bullets to kill than any enemy in cod4. Any enemy above "pistol dude" in uncharted is more dangerous than 2 or 3 enemies in cod4 because of their increased health, aiming proficiency, rate of fire, willingness to run directly at you, etc. Because of this, it's much more satisfying to kill someone in cod4 than uncharted. When I'm shooting someone in uncharted, I'm thinking: "jesus christ, just stop flopping around and die already"

I don't want to start a "thing" comparing uncharted to cod4, so that's the last I'll be mentioning that game here

Edit: The bullet vests thing is more bullshit. They don't take more bullets because they wear bullet vests, they wear bullet vests because they wanted enemies to take more bullets.

Kittonwy

Banned
pj325is said:
I wasn't trying to rambo the game, but I'm also not going to play it like MGS just so I can get 1 kill off before they start pummeling me. I very rarely saw opportunities to kill before they saw me. Also, sneaking in a headshot isn't even a guaranteed kill in this game. In one encounter, I was looking for the last enemy, I came up behind him while he was behind cover, shooting at the old guy, and I literally had to shoot him THREE TIMES in the head with my pistol to kill him. Once knocked off the helmet and it took 2 shots directly into the back of his head, from 5' away, to kill him.

Two shots, one for the helmet and one for the head, obviously in order to kill the guy with the second shot it would have to hit him, but it's always two, three would mean it might be a near miss.

I play a lot of games, "normal" for me usually means I can beat the game almost without dying. That was not the case with uncharted. I doubt you'd have any trouble finding many, many people who agree with my opinion on the difficulty. The beatability of crushing has nothing to do with normal.

I don't get why normal would mean you have to beat it without dying, that would be easy, not normal. Hard wasn't that hard, why would normal be hard if hard wasn't that hard?

three to four shots my ass. Dudes just flop around doing the mambo while you unload half an M4 clip into them. That same half m4 clip in cod4 could kill probably 6 people. Not to mention the fact that you can carry several hundred more bullets for that gun in cod4.

Then you're basically missing them with half your clip because if you fire short bursts and hit them squarely they go down very quickly. In COD4 enemies are basically cheap fodder.

Uncharted's waves are bullshit, just like cod4's infinitely respawning enemies are bullshit, they're just different flavors of it. You can't say "it's only 3 to 4 enemies." Any enemy in uncharted will take more bullets to kill than any enemy in cod4. Any enemy above "pistol dude" in uncharted is more dangerous than 2 or 3 enemies in cod4 because of their increased health, aiming proficiency, rate of fire, willingness to run directly at you, etc. Because of this, it's much more satisfying to kill someone in cod4 than uncharted. When I'm shooting someone in uncharted, I'm thinking: "jesus christ, just stop flopping around and die already"

Why wouldn't you want enemies that actually pose a threat instead of dudes that basically you can gun down in seconds? I don't find COD4 enemies to be fun to kill at all, all they do is drop like flies.

I don't want to start a "thing" comparing uncharted to cod4, so that's the last I'll be mentioning that game here

Edit: The bullet vests thing is more bullshit. They don't take more bullets because they wear bullet vests, they wear bullet vests because they wanted enemies to take more bullets.

Same difference.
Indifferent2.gif

sca2511

[Kittowny's long reply]

holy shit that was hilarious. Indeed the game is very good. There are some parts where I was not able to take cover, but I compensated that with manually getting into cover rather than pressing O or whichever button it is. I'm still having a hard time on hard difficulty though, well having a hard time finding all the treasures!

Grayman

Drake is not a soldier. he can't use an m4 to kill six people. He's an everyman in a pulp novel or movie setting it takes more than a full clip to kill a mofo.

rod

Banned
i honestly think kittonwy's erection from uncharted comes from it being a major high profile game on his console of choice. i highly doubt he would feel even half the love he feels for it now were it on x360 aswell. im not saying thats how EVERY uncharted fan works, but after reading his posts a long time ago when dmc4 was announced for the 360 and he condemned it, its hard to take his orgasms over uncharted seriously.

Rlan said:
I finished it today.

- Fuck the
Zompires

Hate me now, Kittonwy ;)

dcuc14.jpg

What the hell.....?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Someone find that pic of the houses that got washed away and againts that bridge in the Midwest, theres like a hundred barrels washed up against them......... then chop Drake in there and some Lama's.......... WIN.

300h.jpg

This is the pic but its to small, all the blue things are barrels, Drakes heaven.

Kydd BlaZe

Finally got my hands on this game. Loving it so far. Very cinematic. Coming straight from finishing MGS4, I appreciate the short and sweet cutscenes, as well as the fact that the game rarely pull you away from the action.

3rdman

Finally played and beat the game...it's like Tomb Raider with less suck and fewer puzzles. It's very good but damn was it short...I beat the game in two sittings. Glad I only rented it.

Cover system works well enough and clearly borrows a lot from Gears of War and was never unfair...I would however, make the pickup of weapons easier to find. Often times the bodies that you shoot down would toss their weapons far from their bodies making it difficult to get reloads when the action is heavy. But thats my only real complaint...great game but not worth the full price tag because of its length.

Top Bottom