• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Corpekata

Banned
I just resorted to stealth. The vents can get you around them for the most part, careful timing for the rest, even for a non-stealth built character.

You get a lot of more options after reporting to tanner. That's when the game really opens up.

I have reported to him. Decided to head to Rail Crossing or whatever it is called. Then probably Junkyard to sell shit.

I was going to stop at Camp Hathor but I need TNT charges or whatever.

Lol... I swear Persuade hasn't worked for me once. I guess that is what low Will means even with near max investment into the skill.

Won't make this mistake next playthrough.

Kyougar

I am fucking lost :(

I am level 8 and I cant get past the Mutants in Inner depot A they either do 5 times 10 to 20 acid ranged damage or 70 punch damage

Yeah Persuade does jack shit with low Will I guess. My character would be so much better off without it. All those lost skill points. :(

Ah well. I ended up defeating the Faceless boss and the minions. Took a lot of doing. Caltrops, steel boots to make me immune to them, emp grandes, malotov cocktails. Also had to get lucky and cheese the boss with my dagger's stun capability.

I'm swimming in cash. Got myself a nice energy shield. Sold a lot of my stuff. But I think the shield and batteries put me near carry capacity.

Yeah Persuade does jack shit with low Will I guess. My character would be so much better off without it. All those lost skill points. :(

Ah well. I ended up defeating the Faceless boss and the minions. Took a lot of doing. Caltrops, steel boots to make me immune to them, emp grandes, malotov cocktails. Also had to get lucky and cheese the boss with my dagger's stun capability.

Weird. I was able to solve the situation you're referring to diplomatically and I have put only 5 points into Will.

Anyways, I finally managed to reach the south railroad post. It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected with a map. That place is seriously unfindable if you try to use logic ("follow the railway" and "go south").

Weird. I was able to solve the situation you're referring to diplomatically and I have put only 5 points into Will.

Anyways, I finally managed to reach the south railroad post. It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected with a map. That place is seriously unfindable if you try to use logic ("follow the railway" and "go south").

Wut... I have 3 Will. Effective 35 Persuade. Despite 40 points invested in it. Not sure where the -5 is coming from. Not any gear I'm wearing, so I assume it is from stats.

Purkake4

Banned
I am fucking lost :(

I am level 8 and I cant get past the Mutants in Inner depot A they either do 5 times 10 to 20 acid ranged damage or 70 punch damage
Go underground, you just need to deal with one mutant that way. Abuse caltrops and molotovs.

Speaking of the Faceless, they really bring out the different gameplay styles. You have to either go after them hard or you can sneak up or snipe them before they get their shields up. Also psi mind stuff goes through shields, as does poison, if you manage to get a hit in.

Extra protip: the taser and electroshock pistol are godsend, go make some if you haven't already.

I think how many points you put into persuade determines if you can actually see and choose the dialogue option whereas Will determines if it's successful.

Go underground, you just need to deal with one mutant that way. Abuse caltrops and molotovs.

Speaking of the Faceless, they really bring out the different gameplay styles. You have to either go after them hard or you can sneak up or snipe them before they get their shields up. Also psi mind stuff goes through shields, as does poison, if you manage to get a hit in.

Extra protip: the taser and electroshock pistol are godsend, go make some if you haven't already.

Even without their shields up my knife was doing jack shit. Except on a crit.

Get an electroknife, use crippling strike, taser, dirty kick, expose weakness, opportunist, cut-throat, etc.

Crippling strike I have. Lack dirty kick, and most of those other feats. My feat selection hasn't been optimal.

Hit and Run (hasn't been as useful as I predicted)

Sprint (has actually been useful)

Disassemble (good)

Interloper (i think this actually has been useful)

Crippling Strike (good)

Cheap Shot (good)

Purkake4

Banned
Crippling strike I have. Lack dirty kick, and most of those other feats. My feat selection hasn't been optimal.

Hit and Run (hasn't been as useful as I predicted)

Sprint (has actually been useful)

Disassemble (good)

Interloper (i think this actually has been useful)

Crippling Strike (good)

Cheap Shot (good)
Opportunist would go quite a long way to help you out here, as would stuff with high critical damage bonus.

Also, it's never too late to take a tour or two of Core city to rack up 1-2 levels worth of oddity XP. Stealth helps boost it even more.

Opportunist would go quite a long way to help you out here, as would stuff with high critical damage bonus.

Also, it's never too late to take a tour or two of Core city to rack up 1-2 levels worth of oddity XP. Stealth helps boost it even more.

Yeah. I just saved the dude in Rail Station. Was gonna head back to SGS, then go to Camp Hathor. Then Core.

Will probably pick up Oppurtunist, but I think next level I can get that feat that lets me do a massive attack out of Stealth.

edit: Mind you, I invested in traps and throw because I knew my build would have weaknesses. Nades and mines help a bunch. And it makes for a fun and exciting challenge. Being a bit weak isn't too bad.

Purkake4

Banned
Yeah. I just saved the dude in Rail Station. Was gonna head back to SGS, then go to Camp Hathor. Then Core.

Will probably pick up Oppurtunist, but I think next level I can get that feat that lets me do a massive attack out of Stealth.

edit: Mind you, I invested in traps and throw because I knew my build would have weaknesses. Nades and mines help a bunch. And it makes for a fun and exciting challenge.
Sounds good, just to be clear by tour I meant just looting all the available containers, there's a ton of oddities just laying around there.

So how viable is Oddity system if you forgo lockpick/hacking?

I do want to make my melee/Psi character at some point. Investing in 2 disciplines will mean giving up two other skills. Maybe I should just give up Craft/Persuade.

Also how viable is Psi with a low int character? I want high Str, Will, and Con I think. I want to be a walking tank. I think it might be a bad idea. So maybe STR/WILL/INT as the build?

And what crafts do I need to make psi boosters? Is that bio or chem?

Purkake4

Banned
So how viable is Oddity system if you forgo lockpick/hacking?

I do want to make my melee/Psi character at some point. Investing in 2 disciplines will mean giving up two other skills. Maybe I should just give up Craft/Persuade.

Also how viable is Psi with a low int character? I want high Str, Will, and Con I think. I want to be a walking tank. I think it might be a bad idea. So maybe STR/WILL/INT as the build?

And what crafts do I need to make psi boosters? Is that bio or chem?
I think you'll be fine on the oddity XP even without hacking and lockpicking. No idea about psi build stuff though.

krizzx

I've been wondering about this game. For me, its all up to how to good the plot is and writing in general is.

Umm, check with the gun vendors. If all else fails take a shopping trip to Core City, you won't break any progression or anything.

Yeah vendor at SGS didnt have any. Ended up just going to Core City.

Is there any benefit to trying Motion? I got a fun cutscene, but I dont want to be out 60 coins for nothing.

Purkake4

Banned
Yeah vendor at SGS didnt have any. Ended up just going to Core City.

Is there any benefit to trying Motion? I got a fun cutscene, but I dont want to be out 60 coins for nothing.
Not a clue, didn't run across that yet.

Did get stabbed on a wide variety of back alleys though.

Not a clue, didn't run across that yet.

Did get stabbed on a wide variety of back alleys though.

Oddly enough I stumbled into some place (in the area surrounding the GSC or whatever) that had hidden stealth enemies called stalkers. But I'd spot them before they spotted me in stealth.

I've been wondering about this game. For me, its all up to how to good the plot is and writing in general is.

The plot and writing certainly hold up, nothing stellar though. This isn't a story-heavy game like Shadowrun: Dragonfall though, it's all about builds, mechanics and freedom. It feels like Fallout meets Deus Ex at times.

The story is serviceable. I can't for the life of me remember any character names though. Most (all) of them are dull. But there are numerous factions, choice and consequences, and enough going on to keep you interested if you care enough.

120v

for what it's worth i'm having a lot of fun, and i generally get tired/annoyed with isometric crpgs pretty fast.

as stated above it isn't really story heavy but the writing is fine

bati

How free is this game? Do you explore to find areas and quests by yourself, or is it more set on a fixed route?

The only direct guidance you get is "go North to X place" and similar. On the way there you'll probably get lost multiple times, at least during first playthrough. There are just so many possible paths to take, it's hard to describe. I guess it's like playing Dark Souls in a way, the world is so wonderfully interconnected.

After the (somewhat extended) prologue you can also do many quests and visit new areas in a nonlinear order.

Venfayth

Anyone know about how long this game is?

I know the Shadowrun games are not completely similar but I got really in to those and by the time I was having fun with them they ended. Usually 12-16 hours.

Sounds good, but I really wish that developers of RPG's intended to play in many different ways would stop doing extended prologues. But that's something many many other games then Underrail are guilty of.

Vlodril

Anyone know about how long this game is?

I know the Shadowrun games are not completely similar but I got really in to those and by the time I was having fun with them they ended. Usually 12-16 hours.

i played about 50+ hours in early access and didn't finish (not all their quests were in).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is the 6% off a mistake? Such a weird number? Supposed to be 60? Or really 6?

Purkake4

Banned
How free is this game? Do you explore to find areas and quests by yourself, or is it more set on a fixed route?

Consensus seems to be that the game opens up considerably after the first set of quests.
I think the best way to describe it would be that for the first bit you're in a smaller open area (open area being a large number of fallout-style interlocking maps) and then you're in a very large open area. It's never linear and there's always multiple routes to your objective.

Venfayth

Trying to break in to the GMS compound and I don't have lockpicking at 20, am I screwed? I've looked everywhere and can't find another way to the third level.

On the second floor (with all the sentries) in the southwest corner is a trapdoor that leads to the third level. Don't think that has a lockpick requirement tied to it.

Venfayth

Thank you, I for sure thought I had tried it and it needed lockpicking also, but it did not.

Was getting super frustrated, heh. Onwards!

Purkake4

Banned
Some Rail Crossing spoilers

The boss guy is the most incapable dude ever. "Go kill a house full of Faceless, go find my train, oh you found the train? go find out why we don't have any supplies".

Top Bottom