• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Purkake4

Banned
Can you go full crafting in this or only enough for one or two of them?
I'm doing guns, dodge, evade, lockpick, hacking and mostly keeping up on all the crafting skills. It is really fun to craft everything you can. You're not going to be able to keep up on all of them equally though. Mechanics, electronics and tailoring are the main ones, biology and chemistry are a bit more specific for posions/chems and explosives/chemical pistols respectively.

Trying to break in to the GMS compound and I don't have lockpicking at 20, am I screwed? I've looked everywhere and can't find another way to the third level.

So far "I haven't invested in X am I screwed" always has "NO" as the response. Other than having to specialize and not spread yourself too thin, this game allows so many playstyles. I actually found that during the drill parts quest there were ways to solve it via sneaking, hacking/lockpicking, and combat. I found the same area access key in separate locations. One accessed via lockpicking and one off some dude I killed.

Can you go full crafting in this or only enough for one or two of them?

You can indeed go full crafting, but sacrifice will need to be made.

I could have made my character full crafts (there are 4 right), but decided on Persuade (mistake) and Hacking.

Ah there are 5 crafting disciplines. Well yes you could max all of them if you wanted to. You have enough skill points to max 8 skills. So if you had high STR/CON/INT you could invest in say... Melee/5 Crafts/Lockpick/Hacking.

You'll miss out on being able to use anything but melee weapons, social skills (but these aren't that amazing imo), sneaking, and Psi disciplines (I didn't bother with them).

But there honestly isn't much point in investing in ALL the crafting skills, at least not all equally. My ninja uses tailoring and mechanics. Mechanics for weapons, and tailoring for my light armor. Had I known how useless Persuade would be for my character (literally all my checks have failed despite near max investment... 3 will sucks), I could have bumped up chem or bio. But I haven't really been hurting.

Venfayth

I killed a dude but now an npc is standing on his corpse and I cannot loot it. Any way to loot it without attacking that dude to get him to piss off?

Beaulieu

started playing this over lunch break
created a character, which was pretty fun
explored the base, punched a rat and ran away
found a gun
it's cool so far

TWO THOUSAND CHARONS??????????????????

What the fuck. I can afford it, but I'll be fucking flat broke. Umm... do I get reimbursed by anyone?

Hupsel

Im looooost with my char build. Is it okay to not put points in Intelligence, STR and CON? I usually play sneaky dudes with pistols, sniper rifles.

Im looooost with my char build. Is it okay to not put points in Intelligence, STR and CON? I usually play sneaky dudes with pistols, sniper rifles.

Certainly but sniper rifles have a strength requirement so watch out with that. Intelligence can be put to 3 unless you are planning on using psionics or crafting.

I haven't done any crafting and yeah it feels like I'm missing a lot of powerful equipment this way.

Luckily I just found a nice melee weapon in the core city sewers. I was growing tired of using the electroshock knife all the time.

Ok I hit a wall. I can't kill these Crawlers that pop out of stealth and do my entire health bar in a single round.

Doesn't seem very fair that they can see me when I am in stealth. My attacks barely scratch them and only have a 68% chance to hit.

Vlodril

Just did the silent isle quest (well part of it) and that was pretty fantastic. I really like how atmospheric this game is.

Purkake4

Banned
Met Ol' Chopper for the first time. Eek.
You gotta catch him unawares, otherwise you're sushi. He does have a nice knife though.

Ok I hit a wall. I can't kill these Crawlers that pop out of stealth and do my entire health bar in a single round.

Doesn't seem very fair that they can see me when I am in stealth. My attacks barely scratch them and only have a 68% chance to hit.
Getting a really good armor and a low frequency shield can help you not get poisoned. Otherwise grenade them, I guess?

You gotta catch him unawares, otherwise you're sushi. He does have a nice knife though.

Getting a really good armor and a low frequency shield can help you not get poisoned. Otherwise grenade them, I guess?

Any reason for low freq over high freq?

One guy wanted me to fork over 1000 charons for an item, so I ended up pickpocketing him, much cheaper.

The dude I had to bribe with 200 charons led me to some closed off area. I killed him instantly and looted him... only 6 charons on the corpse. What the fuck.

Also the 2000 charons was unavoidable. But I'm swimming in money again after the last quest so all is good.

Purkake4

Banned
Any reason for low freq over high freq?
Basically there are 5 frequencies from very low to very high, the frequency correlates with the speed of the attack so melee is very low, pistols are medium and snipers/energy weapons are very high. All shields block more high frequency attacks, but using the different modules you can tilt it to be better towards either end (or the middle). So if you have 15 in the very low frequency, that would absorb the first 15 points of any melee attack before the armor is counted (unless the weapons had special text about ignoring shields, some gloves and knives have that). No damage to you, no poison.

I generally aim for high capacity medium frequency shields, but for special occasions it's nice to have more specialized ones. Sometimes it's also a good idea to ditch the armor and go all shield + dodge/evade.

Almighty

I am enjoying the game so far, but with that said man fuck this game. I feel like I have just slammed into a brick wall in terms of difficulty here. Oh well I have been thinking of restarting and trying a different build so might as well.

Basically there are 5 frequencies from very low to very high, the frequency correlates with the speed of the attack so melee is very low, pistols are medium and snipers/energy weapons are very high. All shields block more high frequency attacks, but using the different modules you can tilt it to be better towards either end (or the middle). So if you have 15 in the very low frequency, that would absorb the first 15 points of any melee attack before the armor is counted (unless the weapons had special text about ignoring shields, some gloves and knives have that). No damage to you, no poison.

I generally aim for high capacity medium frequency shields, but for special occasions it's nice to have more specialized ones. Sometimes it's also a good idea to ditch the armor and go all shield + dodge/evade.

Oh huh. I completely misunderstood how they all worked then. I for some reason thought the damage absorption numbers were purely based on how much charge the shield had left. Whoops!

I'm really glad this game doesn't make me do shitty lockpicking or hacking minigames over and over again like a certain other post-apocalyptic RPG.

skyhaven

Neo Member
Couldn't get into it. I must've spent like 10 minutes in and found the world intro lacking, in fact, if I hadn't went back to Store page to read the game description, I would not even know how to describe this game's setting.

And there's no companions is there? What a shame.

Purkake4

Banned
Oh huh. I completely misunderstood how they all worked then. I for some reason thought the damage absorption numbers were purely based on how much charge the shield had left. Whoops!
Yeah, it's not super obvious, but it makes sense once you use it a bit. Each weapon also tells you which shield frequency it corresponds to.

Couldn't get into it. I must've spent like 10 minutes in and found the world intro lacking, in fact, if I hadn't went back to Store page to read the game description, I would not even know how to describe this game's setting.

And there's no companions is there? What a shame.
It's the very popular slavic subgenre of post-apocalypse called post-apocalypse in train tunnels.

No companions though, just you against the tunnels.

bati

I am enjoying the game so far, but with that said man fuck this game. I feel like I have just slammed into a brick wall in terms of difficulty here. Oh well I have been thinking of restarting and trying a different build so might as well.

Check out Nerd Commando's builds. I'm playing two characters in parallel, one is a pure psion and the other is a crossbow guy (he calls the build Arbalist). Great success with both on Normal, but they're tuned for hard difficulty so you could even relax the minmaxed stats a bit to get a few utility/QoL perks and so on.

Psion is probably much easier in the start because your spells cannot miss and the enemies have really low psionic resistance early on. Plus the damage on metathermics is pretty great and the range on cryokinesis is just insane. Once I got to lvl 6 or 8 and was able to pick Pyromaniac feat the tables really turned. Every organic enemy became a cakewalk due to builtin CC on this feat, not to mention the added damage. You get a rather sizable array of different spells pretty early on which really expands your tactical options. This build is a true powerhouse, great fun.

That said, I kinda prefer the crossbow guy. I'm a huge fan of stealth in this game and there's just something special about setting up ambushes with traps and shooting people with bolts from stealth. I'll probably continue this character from now on, mostly because stealth opens up access to so many areas and with the stat/feat layout on this build I'll be able to see more content than with the psion.

Man, I'm getting excited just writing about this game, it's crazy. Definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Do electric based Psionic attacks short circuit bots?

edit: Some of these constitution feats look amazing. Last Stand in particular.

bati

Yes, Electrokinesis stuns the robots. I assume it's the same for other electric spells (Neural Overload, despite doing electric damage, doesn't work on robots for obvious reasons).

Purkake4

Banned
Man, it feels pretty awesome to play the arena as batman. Just tase the crazy knife guy and empty a magazine into him, throw an EMP gerenade a shield guy and snipe him with a single headshot.

And then get murdered by the psi guy

How have you guys handled the mission in which you have to defend against waves of ennemies in the
coretech
warehouse? I placed like 20 bear traps and 10 mines, threw caltrops everywhere, and I still got killed in the end.

(edit) I somehow did it.
Your coretech allies are really weak, so the only way to win is to weaken the ennemies with traps and then participate directly in the firefights against them.

Venfayth

Any tips for what to do on the mission to find the armadillo drill parts or w/e? Been looking around the old junkyard and can't find any clues or anything that would seem to imply I'm going in the right direction, also I'm really struggling against some of the enemies here.

Any tips for what to do on the mission to find the armadillo drill parts or w/e? Been looking around the old junkyard and can't find any clues or anything that would seem to imply I'm going in the right direction, also I'm really struggling against some of the enemies here.

Northwest area. Like the most northwest you can go. There are two doors on the lefthand side of the screen, both will be locked but there's a key on at least one of the Mutie corpses.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I'm in the same area you are (haven't found the parts) and I accidently set off one of the land mines which aggroed 6 mutants and 3 dogs. Luckily I was full PSI and managed to AOE them down with a lot of PSI injections but I've noticed the difficulty does spike kinda hard for some odd reason.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm having to exploit premeditate and AOE fireballs/lightning and then backing out of the zone, regaining PSI, and repeating to bring these mutants down.

Pancakes

How do you guys manage to sell all the items you come across? Merchants are pretty poor and I dislike how they only want to buy very specific things.

SRG01

So, just how long is this game?
I'm taking my time doing side quests, and I just found the acid hunters...

How do you guys manage to sell all the items you come across? Merchants are pretty poor and I dislike how they only want to buy very specific things.

Money is pretty abundant in this game. You just have to wait until they refresh their coin supplies. I typically hoard weapons and stash them in a nearby barrel.

TIP: Don't sell your stuff at South Gate Station for credits, because SGS credits aren't accepted anywhere except SGS. Only buy items you need.

This is literally the hardest part of the game because it genuinely tests whether or not your character is built correctly.

As with most parts of Underrail, going full rambo is a big nono unless you have a heavy hitter build. There are multiple paths to do the old junkyard, but spoilers:
it's entirely possible to do this part using stealth and lockpicking, with only a bit of combat. You need to work your way west-ward through either of two routes: either underground or up top. Both require you to find a couple keycards.

I found out about this much later in the game, but relying on pistols, especially in Junkyard, is not a great idea. Try to optimize your damage per turn as soon as possible, either by SMGs, melee, or PSI. Pistols are only good at early game when your to-hit percentage and ammo counts are low.

Purkake4

Banned
I found out about this much later in the game, but relying on pistols, especially in Junkyard, is not a great idea. Try to optimize your damage per turn as soon as possible, either by SMGs, melee, or PSI. Pistols are only good at early game when your to-hit percentage and ammo counts are low.

There's quite a few amazing pistol-only feats in the late game.

It's annoying but it is actually my favorite thing about them now. It's realistic that they don't want to buy junk or shit they can't sell later. Funnily there is a character in Core City all the merchants hate because he constantly tries to sell them garbage they don't need.

Is there any way to make a non-psi persuading/intimidating intelligent sniper? Seems that the game pushes you heavily towards fireballs if you want the social skills.

Purkake4

Banned
Is there any way to make a non-psi persuading/intimidating intelligent sniper? Seems that the game pushes you heavily towards fireballs if you want the social skills.
A crafting sniper is totally doable. Haven't really invested too much into the social skills.

Pancakes

It's annoying but it is actually my favorite thing about them now. It's realistic that they don't want to buy junk or shit they can't sell later. Funnily there is a character in Core City all the merchants hate because he constantly tries to sell them garbage they don't need.

Heh

1xwBK4I.png

Top Bottom