• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I can't wait to dig into this but I'm being super indecisive about what build I want to use. Is it possible to build a combat-focused character (melee, guns, or psi doesn't matter) that can also craft a bit and see the most content possible via lockpicking/hacking? It sounds like persuade/intimidate/barter aren't too useful, is that true?

Can anyone recommend a good build in this vein?

Intimidate and barter are useless in the grand scheme of things but some quests require persuasion to be successful. Lockpicking is very necessary if you want to see everything. You can be combat focused and do crafting as well without issue.

Personally, I used cheatengine to add points to some of the skills since I messed up my original character's build and there is no respec option.

bati

I can't wait to dig into this but I'm being super indecisive about what build I want to use. Is it possible to build a combat-focused character (melee, guns, or psi doesn't matter) that can also craft a bit and see the most content possible via lockpicking/hacking? It sounds like persuade/intimidate/barter aren't too useful, is that true?

Can anyone recommend a good build in this vein?

Persuade is useful in quite a few cases, I somewhat regret not having it on my current build. Re the build you're looking for - something that's based at least in part on AGI would be great because you will want stealth. That opens up a lot of options, from melee dagger assassin to traps, crossbows, throwing.

Check out Nerd Commando's builds, he covers a few stealth focused builds and they all have lockpicking, hacking and crafting.

strang

Neo Member
Persuade is useful in quite a few cases, I somewhat regret not having it on my current build. Re the build you're looking for - something that's based at least in part on AGI would be great because you will want stealth. That opens up a lot of options, from melee dagger assassin to traps, crossbows, throwing.

Check out Nerd Commando's builds, he covers a few stealth focused builds and they all have lockpicking, hacking and crafting.

Thanks, those videos helped. Ended up going with his Assassin build, but made it less min-maxed by taking a few points from Dexterity and Agility and putting them into Perception (for spotting secrets) and Will (for Persuade). Hopefully this works out, I'm only playing on Normal anyway.

bati

What is your stat spread now? I don't know if Will is worth it just for persuade, I think you're better off losing a few points there and gaining more from your main stat that affects multiple skills. That said, PER at 5 is probably worth it. You can also pick up Snooping feat which should make it even easier to spot secrets - doesn't work for trap and stealthed enemy spotting though. Unfortunately there's no official source on minimum requirement for spotting secrets, the only confirmation from Styg that we had said 5 PER + Snooping but that's from 2013 and the game evolved a lot since then.

Speaking of stealth - I'm staring to really love my crossbow build. I just took on a group of ~10 gang members with traps and hit and run tactics. Being able to turn a corner and restealth is simply amazing (tabi boots + Interloper feat highly recommended). Critting enemies for ~300-400 and killing them instantly is also pretty nice. But getting to this point (lvl 14 where I was able to get Critical Power) has been really painful at times, especially levels 8-12 against burrowers.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ok, so I actually manged to get out of the bugged area I was in. Turns out one of the entrance gates did indeed bug out and screwed my game.

To fix this:

1. I had to load up a save from 3 hours ago since my quick and autos were screwed too.
2. Get the bugged area on the fixed save and then manually save there.
3. Go to C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves\[Original Save]
4. Look into the lmaps folder, this basically houses map data of what areas you've explored and have been to. glent seems to be relations and reputations with NPCs or something.
5. Find the area you're stuck in, in my case this was FO3_Slums.ap and a couple others.
6. Copy them to the borked save folder of the same name.

And from there you transferred the map data of one save to another and can thus escape bugged doors and other areas. Hope this helps someone out and this was a major pain in my ass to figure out.

Venfayth

Snipe em, stab em or get that one fish that has the psi-neutralizing poison.

Snipe em, stab em, stick em in a stew!

Ok, so I actually manged to get out of the bugged area I was in. Turns out one of the entrance gates did indeed bug out and screwed my game.

To fix this:

1. I had to load up a save from 3 hours ago since my quick and autos were screwed too.
2. Get the bugged area on the fixed save and then manually save there.
3. Go to C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\My Games\Underrail\Saves\[Original Save]
4. Look into the lmaps folder, this basically houses map data of what areas you've explored and have been to. glent seems to be relations and reputations with NPCs or something.
5. Find the area you're stuck in, in my case this was FO3_Slums.ap and a couple others.
6. Copy them to the borked save folder of the same name.

And from there you transferred the map data of one save to another and can thus escape bugged doors and other areas. Hope this helps someone out and this was a major pain in my ass to figure out.

Wow, nice thinking. Will definitely keep this in mind.

-

I was able to get the Armadillo parts finally. Is the only way to break rocks now to buy TNT? The shops taking forever to restock kinda bums me out. I've got so many good things to sell but nobody has money to buy stuff.

Intimidate and barter are useless in the grand scheme of things but some quests require persuasion to be successful. Lockpicking is very necessary if you want to see everything. You can be combat focused and do crafting as well without issue.

Personally, I used cheatengine to add points to some of the skills since I messed up my original character's build and there is no respec option.

This is really odd thing to say. Intimidate has been an option in quests fairly often. And no quest required Persuade to be successful.

bati

This game has the best exploration I've experienced in RPGs so far and I've been playing them for nearly 20 years.

strang

Neo Member
What is your stat spread now? I don't know if Will is worth it just for persuade, I think you're better off losing a few points there and gaining more from your main stat that affects multiple skills. That said, PER at 5 is probably worth it. You can also pick up Snooping feat which should make it even easier to spot secrets - doesn't work for trap and stealthed enemy spotting though. Unfortunately there's no official source on minimum requirement for spotting secrets, the only confirmation from Styg that we had said 5 PER + Snooping but that's from 2013 and the game evolved a lot since then.

Strength - 3
Dexterity - 8
Agility - 8
Constitution - 4
Perception - 6
Will - 5
Intelligence - 6

I'm thinking of restarting and saving that point in Perception, because I didn't know about the Snooping feat...Love how many options this game has for builds but it's driving me nuts.

bati

There's a script that allows you to change your stats floating around. I don't have the link on hand but I've seen it posted on a few forums already. Worth looking into if you don't want to restart.

SRG01

I managed to load a game hours before the end-game dungeon to level up a bit more, and I ended up getting two more levels. I'm still missing a bunch of oddities though. :(

bati

Carnifex
dead at lvl 15 with a crossbow trapper build. I LOVE IT! I just had to save scum until I won the initiative roll though. It's amazing how much control you get with this build.

Carnifex
dead at lvl 15 with a crossbow trapper build. I LOVE IT! I just had to save scum until I won the initiative roll though. It's amazing how much control you get with this build.

lol. Everything I've read about this fight has boiled down to "managed to win, just had to reset until I won initiative"

Got this game, and just beat the GMS compound mission. I gotta say, this is really fun. It feels like there's always some 'trick' that you can use to deal with an encounter. Guns and throwables seem to be working for me, and I took some suggestions and went for lockpicking, hacking, and some crafting disciplines as well.

I'm sure this will get much harder though, so we'll see how it progresses.

Does anyone know if I can use the footlocker in my private room to actually store stuff I would like to keep but now carry with me everywhere.

BigDes

Few hours in and loving it. Only thing im not liking about the game is how bare bones the journal is.

Like the entry will say go speak to this person and ok where is this person? I mean I know I was told this in the quest conversation but that was three hours ago now.

Also the not updating when you achieve an objective. I was wandering around for a good twnty minutes fir the outposts before realizing that I had activated them all.

Minor gripes though, game is fantastic so far

Pancakes

Does anyone know if I can use the footlocker in my private room to actually store stuff I would like to keep but now carry with me everywhere.

You can use any empty container to store stuff and it will stay there.

Few hours in and loving it. Only thing im not liking about the game is how bare bones the journal is.

Like the entry will say go speak to this person and ok where is this person? I mean I know I was told this in the quest conversation but that was three hours ago now.

Also the not updating when you achieve an objective. I was wandering around for a good twnty minutes fir the outposts before realizing that I had activated them all.

Minor gripes though, game is fantastic so far

The lack of a map becomes really annoying when you start going to multiple settlements and have to travel around. That's my only real gripe, otherwise the game requires you to read the text otherwise you will probably be lost.

The last protectorate mission is really dark.

Gas the drones. Maret was surprised I already has some mutagen carriers on me and asked "what else are you carrying around" lol.
It also confirms that the protectorate = the enclave.

Purkake4

Banned
Hotfix 1.0.0.6
Fixed the memory leak that occurred when taking a screenshot for a saved game
Fixed the bug that caused Gorsky to end dialog abruptly when trying to talk to him about Core City manners in certain cases
Junkyard mutants nerfed
Slowed down respawning in Deep Caverns
Fixed the bug that caused the DC gate mechanism to take your hydraulic-fluid canister without registering it
Welp

Woorloog

Banned
So, what does it mean if you have less than X strength needed for a weapon or equipment?
Is it like Fallout where you got a significant to-hit penalty?

Also, does diplomatic psionic melee fighter (ie a monk or a Jedi) sound viable character? Is having lockpicking or hacking recommended, regardless of other skills?

And does gender have any effect on quests or anything? (It had some but relatively minor effects in Fallouts.)

Pancakes

So, what does it mean if you have less than X strength needed for a weapon or equipment?
Is it like Fallout where you got a significant to-hit penalty?

Also, does diplomatic psionic melee fighter (ie a monk or a Jedi) sound viable character? Is having lockpicking or hacking recommended, regardless of other skills?

And does gender have any effect on quests or anything? (It had some but relatively minor effects in Fallouts.)

Your accuracy is reduced by a lot.

Psionic melee is pretty disgusting with how hard you can hit.

Lockpicking is absolutely necessary (you can't access vents and many areas without it). Hacking is also important but less so than lockpicking.

Woorloog

Banned
Figures.
Gotta re-think skill distribution.

How important crafting is? (I've never been fan of crafting in most games, feels more like useless busy work than anything else as in most games best equipment is inevitably loot and not crafted, or crafting takes too long.)

Pancakes

You can make really strong stuff out of crafting but it's not too much stronger than the stuff in shops and drops. You probably want just a little bit in bio so you can craft health hypos but it's up to you.

Woorloog

Banned
Biology looks useful based on the description, especially for a psionic.
Will probably put a few points there.

I would imagine i should invest in Mercantile if won't craft stuff.

Ah, i want too many skills. This always happens in RPGs, as i prefer characters that are generalists outside their combat specialty.

Pancakes

Mercantile is mostly useless. You won't have any problems making money in the game.

Woorloog

Banned
After playing this for a short time, this feels pretty nice.
I don't usually care for "retro" art-style smaller games tend to have but this one reminds me strongly of Fallout and Tiberian Sun, in a way i like it.
Very atmospheric music... perhaps too much so to be honest. Gives me the creeps.

I do wonder, is the armor penalty shown in an armor the default value or is it modified by Nimble feat?
And does the Nimble feat reduce armor penalty additive, ie 25% armor penalty becomes 10% or is it multiplicative?

Purkake4

Banned
After playing this for a short time, this feels pretty nice.
I don't usually care for "retro" art-style smaller games tend to have but this one reminds me strongly of Fallout and Tiberian Sun, in a way i like it.
Very atmospheric music... perhaps too much so to be honest. Gives me the creeps.

I do wonder, is the armor penalty shown in an armor the default value or is it modified by Nimble feat?
And does the Nimble feat reduce armor penalty additive, ie 25% armor penalty becomes 10% or is it multiplicative?
Nimble gets rid of the armor penalty if the total (head, body, feet) is 15 or below, otherwise it does nothing. Check the combat stats screen for live info, it's top right next to the character stats.

Woorloog

Banned
Nimble get rid of the armor penalty if the total (head, body, feet) is 15 or below, otherwise it does nothing. Check the combat stats screen for live info, it's top right next to the character stats.

That certainly isn't what the feat description implies but... *shrug*

Had missed the armor penalty line in the combat stats. Somehow.

Looks like the feat is pretty useful as long as armor i wear has penalty of 15 or less, since that way i also get the Evasion/Dodge bonus, which is clearly multiplicative, 17 skill gets raised to 19 (either rounded down or decimals are not shown).

Purkake4

Banned
That certainly isn't what the feat description implies but... *shrug*

Had missed the armor penalty line in the combat stats. Somehow.

Looks like the feat is pretty useful as long as armor i wear has penalty of 15 or less, since that way i also get the Evasion/Dodge bonus, which is clearly multiplicative, 17 skill gets raised to 19 (either rounded down or decimals are not shown).
Yeah, it could be worded better. Basically, if you wear light armor you get to dodge/evade better.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
2 years later and I'm finally playing this game. I want to create a PSI focused character but hearing about combat being hard I sort of afraid of falling into the same trap I fell with System Shock 2 - I made a PSI character for my first walkthrough and damn, that was too hard.

So any suggestion on making a PSI character who doesn't suck in straight combat or is it a pipe dream? So far
the weak bug on island in the middle of nowhere handed my ass to me
, I was going to acquire some additional weapons and return back later but I doubt that I'll kill it anyway because my strength, perception are quite low while intelligence, agility (for stealth) and psi abilities are high.

Lanrutcon

After 2 days with this game, I feel that it really needs to ease back on the NO FUN ALLOWED mechanics for pacing/initial introductions to the game, implement some interface tweaks such as mapping and do a balance pass around HP/DR.

Until then, it's ok but nothing great. Thought I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I am.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
2 years later and I'm finally playing this game. I want to create a PSI focused character but hearing about combat being hard I sort of afraid of falling into the same trap I fell with System Shock 2 - I made a PSI character for my first walkthrough and damn, that was too hard.

So any suggestion on making a PSI character who doesn't suck in straight combat or is it a pipe dream? So far
the weak bug on island in the middle of nowhere handed my ass to me
, I was going to acquire some additional weapons and return back later but I doubt that I'll kill it anyway because my strength, perception are quite low while intelligence, agility (for stealth) and psi abilities are high.

I'm playing a hybrid unarmed/psychokinesis build and I'm absolutely wrecking face.

bati

After 2 days with this game, I feel that it really needs to ease back on the NO FUN ALLOWED mechanics for pacing/initial introductions to the game, implement some interface tweaks such as mapping and do a balance pass around HP/DR.

Until then, it's ok but nothing great. Thought I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I am.

Pacing is fine, you get into the meat of things after talking to 5 people, you don't need to spend 3 hours exploring all the floors in SGS. HP/DR is fine, some builds work better versus specific enemies, others against different types of enemies. There are tools available to handle any situation in case you got blindspots in your build. Grenades for example are something that offer a lot of utility and can be used in every build.

Lack of map can be disorienting on your first playthrough but once you go over those areas a few times you'll memorize the layout and orientation will become very easy.

Some feats will make your relative power spike up really high as you level up so you'll probably feel the no fun allowed thing diminish over time.

subversus

I'm playing a hybrid unarmed/psychokinesis build and I'm absolutely wrecking face.

yeah, turns out psi = magic, so I'm playing psi/stealth/melee character right now and I'm able to handle a couple of rats without problems, haven't run into serious enemies though.

Really enjoying the game, plays like Deus Ex/Fallout.

adamy

Banned
does this game have decent gamepad support?

I do all my PC gaming from my couch. if it's anything like most CRPGs I'm guessing the answer is no since it would be a bitch to play with a gamepad but figured I'd ask.

Lanrutcon

Pacing is fine, you get into the meat of things after talking to 5 people, you don't need to spend 3 hours exploring all the floors in SGS. HP/DR is fine, some builds work better versus specific enemies, others against different types of enemies. There are tools available to handle any situation in case you got blindspots in your build. Grenades for example are something that offer a lot of utility and can be used in every build.

Lack of map can be disorienting on your first playthrough but once you go over those areas a few times you'll memorize the layout and orientation will become very easy.

Some feats will make your relative power spike up really high as you level up so you'll probably feel the no fun allowed thing diminish over time.

Got my SMG/Grenade/Stealth build to level 11, then stopped. Never really felt like I was getting anywhere or that my character was advancing sufficiently to stop combat being a boring save/reload fest against overwhelming odds. Will check back in a few months to see if the dev or a modder has addressed the issues. I think the game could be very interesting with mod support.

Moff

I'm in on of the early missions where I had to find a keycard for gorsky and travel down a basement.
I finished the section with the droids with tons of trial&error in the ventilation shafts.
I got the keys for a hatch from a dead man, but alerted the droids, I ran to the hatch, did the quest down there but I can't repair the elevator because of low mechanics.
I can't just leave the building through the entry because there is a bandit camp with guys who kill me instantly and I can't get back up through the droids because they are waiting for me at the hatch.
am I stuck?

bati

edit: From what I remember the cave beyond the compound isn't an exit, it just leads to a cavern with a few more raiders. You'll have to backtrack the way you came in, which is through robots. You can abuse their AI by closing doors.

does this game have decent gamepad support?

I do all my PC gaming from my couch. if it's anything like most CRPGs I'm guessing the answer is no since it would be a bitch to play with a gamepad but figured I'd ask.

No, it doesn't. Have you considered a Steam Controller? Should work fine for this game since it's turn based.

Moff

edit: From what I remember the cave beyond the compound isn't an exit, it just leads to a cavern with a few more raiders. You'll have to backtrack the way you came in, which is through robots. You can abuse their AI by closing doors.

is it supposed to be extreme trial&error with these droids?
you are not supposed to fight them, righ? I don't have any means to kill them.
and the ventilation stuff is super trial&error

I am now in another mission where I broke into the junkyard appartment, and again another trial&error stealth fest with droids

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I am now in another mission where I broke into the junkyard appartment, and again another trial&error stealth fest with droids

I killed the crap out of the robots, they aren't overly tough unless you manage to agro all 3 of them at once.

subversus

This game isn't hard, it has just the right difficulty But you shoudl RTFM (wiki and forums in this case). I had problems in the first couple of fights but after that it has been almost a breeze. Pick right targets, use right tools, it's simple but may be difficult to master for some people. Never used save scumming to get that critical hit or initiative.

I'm playing pure PSI build with focus on stealth. Also I'm decent at hacking and lockpicking but I'm hampered with my low dexterity when I level up lockpicking.

I don't know how it's trial and error but I have completed this mission easily. I had like 35-40 stealth and just had no problems. I've peered out of vents before opening them, I've ran from the droids on the floor and they never noticed me - I had a yellow eye only a couple of times. What do you mean by trial and error?

Moff

I don't know how it's trial and error but I have completed this mission easily. I had like 35-40 stealth and just had no problems. I've peered out of vents before opening them, I've ran from the droids on the floor and they never noticed me - I had a yellow eye only a couple of times. What do you mean by trial and error?

well i play a psi character focused on persuasion and lockpicking.

So i neither have stealth nor the means to kill the droids.
so the only way to solve both these passages was to hide in the vents and quicksave/reload dozens of times so I would randomly find a way to sneak between the droids.

Top Bottom