• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Union Files Complaint On Behalf of ‘Sausage Party’ Artists Over Unpaid Overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Spinning out of this thread, figured a new one was appropriate. I suggest reading the original thread though, as it includes multiple testimonials.

via CartoonBrew
Vancouver-based union Local Unifor 2000, which represents roughly 800 media workers, filed a third-party complaint last Friday with Canada’s Employment Standards Branch against Sausage Party animation producer Nitrogen Studios Canada over allegations that the company failed to pay animators overtime while working on the film.

“We are aware of serious allegations that Nitrogen did not pay some of its animators overtime, and we’ve formally asked the Employment Standards Branch to investigate,” said Jennifer Moreau, vice-president of Unifor Local 2000, in a press statement.

“Many of these animators are too scared to come forward—that’s why we’ve filed the third party complaint,” Moreau further said. “They are afraid they will be blacklisted and denied future employment in what’s essentially a small, tight-knit community, where they go from contract to contract. Workers tell us the companies use loopholes, classifying their work as high tech or contract work, to get around basic employment standards.”

Currently, no animation studio in Vancouver is represented by a union, and none of the thousands of artists working in Vancouver’s animation, vfx, and video game sectors enjoy basic worker protections offered by unions.

This story has definitely caught on, and has developed further than expected. While it's still only a step, hopefully a solution is found to protect Vancouver workers and provide a precedent for animation studios elsewhere.

Good, I hope the animators get their pay, because they deserve it. And I hope nothing like this happens agai-who am I kidding? It's gonna keep happening in this industry.

Fuck this studio for screwing over its animators.

Makes me appreciate the way Laika treats their people.

Go see Kubo and the Two Stings

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Someone close to me is a VFX artist, and trust me, the conditions in this industry are awful. They are all seen as disposable and replaceable, so nobody really wants to try to push the higher ups too hard, fearing for their jobs. Their deadlines are ridiculous, and they're stuck in crunch mode 80% of the time.

Worst thing is, the demands coming from the movie studios are borderline ridiculous, and some studios are willing to lose money just to be able to get contracts. It's a beautiful race to the bottom, and the whole industry is suffering because of it.

The_Kid

He has producer credits, so he may have had a decision in working/collaborating with the animation studio, it could be why he is silent.

I mean, Rogen might be hearing about this for the first time like everyone else. Maybe he doesn't know how to respond. Publicly condemning treatment of animators on a movie you promoted for the last year through hell and high water is doubtful.

I don't know. I just wouldn't expect, following tweets of "go see Sausage Party! In theaters now!" A message of "But the way people were treated in the process of making it is horrible."

Fury451

Banned
He has producer credits, so he may have had a decision in working/collaborating with the animation studio, it could be why he is silent.

The producer usually isn't privy to all of the insane conditions an animator would be put through though, regardless of how close they are collaborating. The only way he would know before anyone else's if somebody told him directly about the conditions.

It would also make sense from a pragmatic standpoint for him to let lawyers and everyone else handle this rather than get involved.

Ducarmel

The producer usually isn't privy to all of the insane conditions an animator would be put through though, regardless of how close they are collaborating. The only way he would know before anyone else's if somebody told him directly about the conditions.

It would also make sense from a pragmatic standpoint for him to let lawyers and everyone else handle this rather than get involved.

I agree he would not be aware of any first hand accounts from his perspective unless told.

But he is an industry vet, he is well aware of the pressure, money, and cut throat nature it takes to get movies done. He knows Hollywood isn't fair and will try to get away with anything they can. Lets be real now they did not choose to work with Pixar, they most likely ultimately choose this animation studio because it was cheap and promised they could make the deadline. We already forgot about what happened to Rhythm & Hues Studios and most likely we are going to forget about these guys after the settlement if there is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom