• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACLU Complaint: Teacher assaulted, harassed 11yo Muslim student, invoked Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Edit: boo mod.

One teacher in Arizona who supports Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump may be taking his anti-Latino, anti-Muslim rhetoric too far, according to an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) complaint separately filed with the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Education.

The complaint alleged that a teacher at the Academy of Excellence, a public charter school in Phoenix, singled out a Muslim refugee student for his faith and nationality. The teacher, Faye Myles, told the student, A.A., that she couldn’t wait for Trump to become president because that would mean the student could get deported.

A.A. is a Muslim refugee from Somalia who came to the United States in 2012. Up until January, A.A., an 11-year-old, had been enrolled at the school as a sixth grader.

“I can’t wait until Trump is elected,” the teacher reportedly told the student. “He’s going to deport all you Muslims. Muslims shouldn’t be given visas. They’ll probably take away your visa and deport you. You’re going to be the next terrorist, I bet.”

The complaint further alleged that Myles’ harassment “was extensive,” going so far as to choke A.A. “until his eyes began to water from the pain.” The teacher also showed the class a video clip of the September 11, 2001 hijackers and suggested that A.A. was going to become a terrorist, saying “That’s going to be you.”

Calls and emails left for Myles and the school have gone unanswered as of this writing.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-tea...=email&utm_campaign=tp-letters#.v36eeh97l

image_drinking-the-prezi-kool-aid_1339358632_0117.png

Lamel

Banned
Saying all that stuff is terrible, but on top of that the teacher physically assaulted a student? I'd like to hear the teacher's side just to see what the defense is...

This just seems so hard to believe; I've luckily never encountered a teacher who went this far.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
uhh, that second part isn't "harassment" it's battery.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, everybody needs to remember that all these Trump supporters aren't going to magically disappear the day after the election. They're going to go back and keep being teachers or cops or whatever, and their ignorance is going to continue to have a negative impact on the people they come into contact with.

At first I thought this was about a college professor, which would already be bad enough, then I saw this was about a sixth grade teacher and student

what the fuck is WRONG with you

The complaint further alleged that Myles’ harassment “was extensive,” going so far as to choke A.A. “until his eyes began to water from the pain.”

She needs to be in goddamned prison

Jeez that teacher needs to be sued but in the meantime the kids parents need to take him out of that charter school before he gets permanent mental and psychological scars. It's probably too late for the latter but they could at least begin healing those scars asap.

These are the Trump supporters that scare me. Their head is so far up their ass they think Trump is winning and they are already creaming their jeans with facsist fantasies. When it all comes crumbling down on November 8th, these are the people who will lash out.

GPsych

At first I was all, "That teacher needs to be fired immediately and an OCR complaint should be filed." When I read about the choking...wtf? That's time for jail.

NEO0MJ

I can't imagine the mental anguish she caused. I mean seriously, showing a video of 9/11 and then pointing at him in front of the other students as someone to watch out for?

Do people in the US who work for anykind of public office actually run through somekind of training? It seems like you're scraping the worst people of the streets to educate or police your citizen. what gives?

Yeah, everybody needs to remember that all these Trump supporters aren't going to magically disappear the day after the election. They're going to go back and keep being teachers or cops or whatever, and their ignorance is going to continue to have a negative impact on the people they come into contact with.

Maybe it will be a wake up call for diet racists. The kind that think racism is just isolated incidents and not a systemic problem. Maybe they will see all these politicians, cops, teachers, doctors, membersof the military, etc. supporting Trump and say "Oh, I get it now."

What the fuck man. This is abhorrent.

I was called a terrorist once by a teacher in high school and it was a nightmare. I can't imagine the emotional damage dealt to this poor kid by this asshole.

Do people in the US who work for anykind of public office actually run through somekind of training? It seems like you're scraping the worst people of the streets to educate or police your citizen. what gives?

Hate to break it to you, but people of all types can be like this, whether or not they received some kind of training.

Mindlog

The complaint alleged that a teacher at the 'Academy of Excellence'1, a 'public charter school'2 in 'Phoenix'3, 'singled out a Muslim'4 'refugee student'5 for his 'faith and nationality'6.
Every element presented naturally escalates into the next. 'Of course...'

My best wishes to the kid. I hope they can find access to proper education without having to put up with the smell of hateful garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom