• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Kids Wish Their Teachers Knew

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

4AAqKb.jpg

When Kyle Schwartz started teaching third grade at Doull Elementary School in Denver, she wanted to get to know her students better. She asked them to finish the sentence “I wish my teacher knew.”

dg6L4R.jpg

tu0BZJ.jpg

The responses were eye-opening for Ms. Schwartz. Some children were struggling with poverty (“I wish my teacher knew I don’t have pencils at home to do my homework”); an absent parent (“I wish my teacher knew that sometimes my reading log is not signed because my mom isn’t around a lot”); and a parent taken away (“I wish my teacher knew how much I miss my dad because he got deported to Mexico when I was 3 years old and I haven’t seen him in six years”).

Xc42xv.jpg

KUApI3.jpg

jiYvtx.jpg

More at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/31/w...-teachers-knew.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

yencid

Working with kids myself, its something i constantly have to check myself about and remember that a lot of these kids have a lot of baggage they dont like to talk about.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Went to her website where she is selling the book.

Our school community is strong, but we face challenges—challenges that are all too familiar to many schools in America. During the 2013–14 school year, 90 percent of our students lived in poverty. More than half of our students speak a language other than English at home. In my own classroom during the 2015–16 school year, about one-third of my students qualify to receive special education services. There are many schools, nationwide, with similar statistics.

The fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom