• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACLU Complaint: Teacher assaulted, harassed 11yo Muslim student, invoked Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

How do these parents show such restraint when their kids are being tortured by a monster at school?

I can't imagine the horrible things I would be tempted to do if someone treated my children that way.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How do these parents show such restraint when their kids are being tortured by a monster at school?

I can't imagine the horrible things I would be tempted to do if someone treated my children that way.

If I was on the jury for the mother.

"We have 23 witnesses, video footage, photographic evidence, a confession she killed the teacher"

... Not guilty.

NEO0MJ

I imagine they're too afraid to do anything that might harm their ability to stay in the US.

Oh is that what the teacher is doing here?

Congratulations maybe fight that fight in a thread not about blatant islamaphobia

No fight here. I didn't insinuate that either. The teacher did something horrible and the school is worse for allowing it and trying to kick the kids out. It's pure racism, not a phobia of a religion.

True, it is often misapplied, but here we have a textbook example of actual islamophobia, so....

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I just don't like the term as much as I used to... I exaggerated when I said I always hated it.

The teacher certainly said some racist shit and was prejudiced and should be in jail, but I don't think those were the actions of a phobia. These actions were a result of hate and ignorance. And yeah, I know a lot of places will include actions like what's in the OP in their definition of Islamophobia, but I think it's a sloppy term that should be replaced with something else.

If the incident in the OP is Islamophobia, then why do people label my criticisms of some ideas in Islam as Islamophobic (IRL, not here)? This happened last week and I had to sit there and explain that what I was saying isn't the same as real, pure hatred and racism towards Muslims. It's a term that's easily misconstrued and thrown around too loosely or misapplied like you said.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted my thought earlier but it's been bothering me lately.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
-phobia hasn't literally meant "fear" in forever. Homophobes aren't afraid of gays, they just hate them (or "hate homosexuality" at least). Come on with the literal etymology BS

Derwind

If I were married with a child and this happened to my kid...I'd tell my wife that it's okay to beat the shit out that woman. I'll pay all the bills until she can find another job in case she gets fired from her current for punching that teacher.

We're not going "educate" that teacher, we're not going to empathise with her; you can summon whitewashed MLK and write long winded dissertation about loving your fellow man and being the bigger person, it will be ignored because this teacher...she WILL catch a fade, if my s/o didn't do it, then I'd have a family friend do it. But an ass whoopin WILL be administered. Wallahi

Maybe choking people is her way of criticizing Islam? I dunno I feel that calling someone Islamophobic is really problematic. It's like calling someone racist, you shouldn't use that unless you're 100% sure! Those words ruin lives, think about that person's career and family!

As always, you're posts are absolutely deadly. Preach!

No fight here. I didn't insinuate that either. The teacher did something horrible and the school is worse for allowing it and trying to kick the kids out. It's pure racism, not a phobia of a religion.

This physical & psychological attack was clearly motivated by the child's link to Islam. If that's not the definition of religious prejudice, I don't know what is.

There is a difference someone knowledgable criticising Islam & the many different parts of it and then a ignorant person physically choking a child based on a religion they may be a part of.

Two entirely different things.

Edit; You criticising and disagreeing with Islam is perfectly fine and normal. Anyone saying otherwise is severely misguided.

-phobia hasn't literally meant "fear" in forever. Homophobes aren't afraid of gays, they just hate them (or "hate homosexuality" at least). Come on with the literal etymology BS

I don't think it's BS... but I admit it is nitpicky. But we don't have better terms to replace them which causes misunderstandings like the situation I ran into last week. I was going to make a thread but got busy and then reconsidered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom