• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just vent about how pissed I am that Best Buy isn't doing their exclusive house sigil covers for the Blu-Rays this year? All they're doing is a steelbook.

Now my boxes aren't gonna match up. :(

Can I just vent about how pissed I am that Best Buy isn't doing their exclusive house sigil covers for the Blu-Rays this year? All they're doing is a steelbook.

Now my boxes aren't gonna match up. :(

Has anyone ever released a set of DVDs/BluRays/books, one at a time, with matching cases and actually seen it through to the end of that series? Things always seem to go belly up right around the time they can get away with releasing box sets of all released instalments which come in their own matching cases and then change the cases for subsequent releases.

All this prequel talk makes me sad. GRRM's going to be on HBO until his final days, explaining who's who in the prequels and we'll still be waiting on TWOW/ADOS. Damn HBO, damn their oily hides!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Has anyone ever released a set of DVDs/BluRays/books, one at a time, with matching cases and actually seen it through to the end of that series? Things always seem to go belly up right around the time they can get away with releasing box sets of all released instalments which come in their own matching cases and then change the cases for subsequent releases.

All this prequel talk makes me sad. GRRM's going to be on HBO until his final days, explaining who's who in the prequels and we'll still be waiting on TWOW/ADOS. Damn HBO, damn their oily hides!

The Lord of the Rings EE sets were released once a year and the slipcovers matched.

NeoGiff

Firstly because it's a role that has gone to someone with no acting experience when there are actors constantly looking for any kind of work, and secondly because seeing McGregor for even a small amount of time will rip me out of the world of the show.

I'm all caught up. This show has been quite a ride.

The Hound is the best character. Sorry, it's true. Jon Snow started off kind of ho hum, but he's become pretty legit.

A few notes. I find it interesting that Danyres has representatives from all the major families with her now... except the Starks. But given her connection to Jon Snow, as well as her connection to Sansa (via Tyrion), that will change soon.

Also interesting that pretty much all the families are ruled by women now.

Not sure how i feel about Arya's story. I feel it's become probably the most disconnected and tangential story in the show. I still like her a lot... but I don't know where they can go with her. Pretty much everyone on her list is dead. Except Cersei. She won't get that kill though. It will be Jaime that will do the honors there.

duckroll

So I was checking if Miguel Sapochnik's schedule for 2017 looks empty enough for him to take on a bunch of episodes for the final season which will shoot by the end of this year. And I see that apparently he's now attached to a Sinbad movie? If that actually goes into production this year, that's it for his involvement in GoT right? RIP.

So I was checking if Miguel Sapochnik's schedule for 2017 looks empty enough for him to take on a bunch of episodes for the final season which will shoot by the end of this year. And I see that apparently he's now attached to a Sinbad movie? If that actually goes into production this year, that's it for his involvement in GoT right? RIP.

Tough to say how the schedules will line up, we don't know when season 8 will shoot. Hell, we don't know when season 7 production ends... (to my knowledge at least, I've been mostly staying away from off-season news this year)

- WiCnet: Liam Cunningham (Davos) talks about the filming schedule for Game of Thrones Season 8
“We’re still filming,” he says. “We don’t finish until the end of [February]. That’s seven episodes. And then we start again in September and there’s a final six.”

First of all, his note about filming through the end of February lines up with what other cast members have said. And the bit about there being six episodes in the eighth and final season is also consistent with what we’ve heard.

But the most useful piece of intel is that Game of Thrones Season 8 will start filming in September of this year. Filming for Game of Thrones Season 7 started in September of last year. Note that, for the first six seasons of the show, the cast and crew filmed roughly from July through December. For Season 7, they pushed that date back so they could take advantage of naturally snowy conditions in, for example, Iceland. Winter, after all, has come to Westeros, and the show wants to film in the dead of actual winter to maintain verisimilitude.

If the show is filming Season 8 starting in September, that probably means it’ll also run through the winter of 2017/2018, meaning we could be in for a snowy final season.

A new ASOIAF show will be out on HBO before TWOW comes out.

image.php

Black_Sun

I'm all caught up. This show has been quite a ride.

The Hound is the best character. Sorry, it's true. Jon Snow started off kind of ho hum, but he's become pretty legit.

A few notes. I find it interesting that Danyres has representatives from all the major families with her now... except the Starks. But given her connection to Jon Snow, as well as her connection to Sansa (via Tyrion), that will change soon.

Also interesting that pretty much all the families are ruled by women now.

Not sure how i feel about Arya's story. I feel it's become probably the most disconnected and tangential story in the show. I still like her a lot... but I don't know where they can go with her. Pretty much everyone on her list is dead. Except Cersei. She won't get that kill though. It will be Jaime that will do the honors there.

That's it really true. It's pretty evenly split between guy and girls

Iron Throne - Cersei / Daenerys contesting it

Westerlands- Cersei with Tyrion contesting it

Reach- Olenna

North- Jon

Iron Islands- Euron/ Yara contesting it

Dorne- Ellaria and her bastard daughters

Stormlands- ???

Vale- Robin

Riverlands - the Frey guys

Number of episodes for season 8 not finalized
“The only thing we’re working out is how many episodes they want to do,” says Bloys when asked what’s holding up the official Season 8 green light. The exec added that he “hopes” Benioff and Weiss will deliver more than six episodes.

“They’re still figuring it out because I think they’re trying to get a shape of the season,” he continues. “They always do what they think [will yield] the best version of the show. It’s all about how many they’re comfortable [with]. But I’ll always take more.”

ferunnico

Neo Member
I'm currently rewatching the show for the first time and just finished S01E06. So far the writing, directing and pacing in season 1 have been a lot better compared to later seasons. I was surprised at the many well written and believably acted scenes I had completely forgotten about. I only dislike some of Dany's scenes, because Emilia Clarke's acting seems worse than I remembered. In the commentary they talk about how she had just gotten out of drama school and how this was her first big role, and her acting really does seem inexperienced and stilted at times (which kind of fits her character, I guess? I still don't like it, though...). Especially compared to Harry Lloyd (Viserys), who I didn't remember being this awesome. But I am most impressed by Maisie Williams and her perfect protrayal of Arya.

I am curious to see how well season 2 and 3 hold up. Every season has its great moments of course, but in my mind the general drop in quality began to happen somewhere around season 4. Maybe I will now see that it had always been going donwhill after season 1, or maybe I will suddenly realize the later seasons aren't as bad as I thought (or maybe I won't even make it that far and lose interest halfway through). I also wonder how much my enjoyment of season 1 and lack thereof of later seasons can be traced back to the original story in the books. I haven't read AFFC and ADWD yet, but it seems like they are much less liked than the first three books.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm currently rewatching the show for the first time and just finished S01E06. So far the writing, directing and pacing in season 1 have been a lot better compared to later seasons. I was surprised at the many well written and believably acted scenes I had completely forgotten about. I only dislike some of Dany's scenes, because Emilia Clarke's acting seems worse than I remembered. In the commentary they talk about how she had just gotten out of drama school and how this was her first big role, and her acting really does seem inexperienced and stilted at times (which kind of fits her character, I guess? I still don't like it, though...). Especially compared to Harry Lloyd (Viserys), who I didn't remember being this awesome. But I am most impressed by Maisie Williams and her perfect protrayal of Arya.

I am curious to see how well season 2 and 3 hold up. Every season has it's great moments of course, but in my mind the general drop in quality began to happen somewhere around season 4. Maybe I will now see that it had always been going donwhill after season 1, or maybe I will suddenly realize the later seasons aren't as bad as I thought (or maybe I won't even make it that far and lose interest halfway through). I also wonder how much my enjoyment of season 1 and lack thereof of later seasons can be traced back to the original story in the books. I haven't read AFFC and ADWD yet, but it seems like they are much less liked than the first three books.
I rewatched it a few months ago and the quality drops in Season 4, and it is extremely noticeable because D & D just wanted to get the Red Wedding on screen.

Finished season 6 and I thought it was really damn good. Certainly better than seasons 4 and 5 which I hardly remember at all. Really looking forward to what the HBO writers will come up with in the future. Frankly, their stuff is better than George's most recent GoT publications.

Gigglepoo

Finished season 6 and I thought it was really damn good. Certainly better than seasons 4 and 5 which I hardly remember at all. Really looking forward to what the HBO writers will come up with in the future. Frankly, their stuff is better than George's most recent GoT publications.

Was there one plotline last season where the characters' motivations made sense? It's a fun show but the story arcs have lost all internal consistency in the last few seasons.

Jigolo

Just caught up and had a few questions

I know the show is based on the books and I am aware there are two more books in the pipeline as well as two more seasons. I was curious, how many of the books does the current 6 seasons cover? Are the two new books being written in conjunction with the filming of the two new seasons?

Thanks

WaffleTaco

I know the show is based on the books and I am aware there are two more books in the pipeline as well as two more seasons. I was curious, how many of the books does the current 6 seasons cover? Are the two new books being written in conjunction with the filming of the two new seasons?

Thanks
The show is past the books in every aspect except one storyline (Sam's), but I am assuming they are doing something different with that one so the books are essentially past the show now. Season 6 covers rest of books 4 and 5. The 6th book might be released in 2017, but no one really knows anymore. The 7th book won't be done until 2023 probably, and there might even be an 8th book.

Jigolo

The show is past the books in every aspect except one storyline (Sam's), but I am assuming they are doing something different with that one so the books are essentially past the show now. Season 6 covers rest of books 4 and 5. The 6th book might be released in 2017, but no one really knows anymore. The 7th book won't be done until 2023 probably, and there might even be an 8th book.
Interesting. I thought season 7 and 8 were the last seasons. Now you're talking about the year 2023? lol

Lothar

Banned

Thanks

The last book was in 2011. As of that book, Tyrion didn't even reach Dany yet and we're still waiting to see who wins between Stannis and Ramsay. That's how far ahead the show is. No idea when the next book will be out if ever. GRRM doesn't believe in giving progress updates.

Jigolo

Oh they are the last two seasons, but the books and the show split their paths after/during Season 4.

The last book was in 2011. As of that book, Tyrion didn't even reach Dany yet and we're still waiting to see who wins between Stannis and Ramsay. That's how far ahead the show is. No idea when the next book will be out if ever. GRRM doesn't believe in giving progress updates.
Thanks for getting me up to speed. Wow ok so much of the stuff from the past 2-3 seasons is original. Didn't know that

Jigolo

Here's some back story from the books that will help flesh out and make you understand the world more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIzuqIRB2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfYj-cHM5c

Thanks I'll check these out.

Also a few more things, I kinda got confused on the last Branden bit.

1. Young Ned Stark went to save his sister from what exactly?
2. She died from giving birth?
3. That baby given to him was Jon Snow? (more incest? or is Jon half a Stark through the mother only and father is unknown?)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thanks I'll check these out.

Also a few more things, I kinda got confused on the last Branden bit.

1. Young Ned Stark went to save his sister from what exactly?
2. She died from giving birth?
3. That baby given to him was Jon Snow? (more incest? or is Jon half a Stark through the mother only and father is unknown?)
1. She was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar Targaryen (most likely they were actually married). He was the Mad King's oldest son. He was also Dany's oldest brother.

2. Yes.

3. He's Rhaegar Targaryen's son. Ned kept his father's true identity a secret or else Robert Baratheon would've had him killed like Rhaegar's other children. He's Dany's nephew.

Jigolo

1. She was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar Targaryen (most likely they were actually married). He was the Mad King's oldest son. He was also Dany's oldest brother.

2. Yes.

3. He's Rhaegar Targaryen's son. Ned kept his father's true identity a secret or else Robert Baratheon would've had him killed like Rhaegar's other children. He's Dany's nephew.

Yep just saw that video from the links posted above that explained a bunch of things. I'm curious now who the boy is. The chick in the video has a theory that that boy is indeed Jon Snow and the way it was presented in S6E10 made me think so as well. Cool

Yep just saw that video from the links posted above that explained a bunch of things. I'm curious now who the boy is. The chick in the video has a theory that that boy is indeed Jon Snow and the way it was presented in S6E10 made me think so as well. Cool

Edit - Eh think i misread this at first, so you at first thought it was Jon but weren't sure but that video confirmed it? or are you still unsure that the boy/baby is Jon?

I thought the transition shot from Baby to Jon made it completely clear. The only thing they didn't do a good job about was confirming that Rhaegar is his father, I knew a decent amount of people who assumed it was just Ned incest with his sister.

Jigolo

Edit - Eh think i misread this at first, so you at first thought it was Jon but weren't sure but that video confirmed it? or are you still unsure that the boy/baby is Jon?

I thought the transition shot from Baby to Jon made it completely clear. The only thing they didn't do a good job about was confirming that Rhaegar is his father, I knew a decent amount of people who assumed it was just Ned incest with his sister.

I thought it was Jon when I first saw it on the show, yes. That video then clarified things (I also thought it could've been incest) for me and pretty much confirmed my original assumptions about the baby after she said her theory. It's not 100% confirmed of course but yeah, I'd put money on Jon being that baby.

WaffleTaco

I thought it was Jon when I first saw it on the show, yes. That video then clarified things (I also thought it could've been incest) for me and pretty much confirmed my original assumptions about the baby after she said her theory. It's not 100% confirmed of course but yeah, I'd put money on Jon being that baby.
It's pretty much 100% confirmed that Jon is that baby. There's no other place in the plot where that would come in unless it was him. Plus the way it was shown in the show with the immediate transition from that baby to Jon Snow directly implys it.

watershed

Banned

Jon is the baby. You don't have to bet on it and it is confirmed. There is no ambiguity in it. Jon is that baby, that baby is Jon.

They literally did a smash-cut from the baby's face to John's face with the same music playing. I don't think it could be more clear.

It's confirmed. HBO has a flow chart with Jon as the baby with Rhaegar as the father.

Black_Sun

ASOS is considered the best book but if you think season 6 is better than ASOS' final half then that speaks to how much they messed up adapting it in season 4.

Season 6 is entertaining moreso than season 5 which was dreadful but the plot and characters are a mess without much of the way in internal consistency.

It's a popcorn show. Have fun but don't think about it too much because the narrative starts falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom