• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament pre-alpha thread

purdobol

Can anybody check if tricks from UT99 on Facing Worlds still work in this new instalment? Don't have the machine to handle this game. And I'm curious.

Facing Worlds looks absolutely stunning. Still can't believe we can play all this entirely for free. O_O

I can't wait for the modding community for this game to really blow up big. Mods were my favorite thing about past UT's.

bee

very pretty game, played it at 4k (no ca) facing worlds ran at 60fps the whole game, titan pass certainly didn't though, i'm sure they'd run at 100+fps at 1080p though which is how they're meant to be played, never been able to play ut for any length of time though it's just the movement

did see that it's got some kind of crouch slide though which i think is new to it?

nowarning

I will give it another go, honestly wasn't that keen on it last time I played. CTF was my thing in UT, loved all of the maps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Do you really need an Epic account to try this? :/

Spazznid

They need to get the file size down. And put it on Steam IMO

They're trying to not only push more people to develop mods and games using their tools, but also unify it all in one launcher that keeps it updated and notifies of news. This will never be on steam, unless in a way similar to Ubisoft games, in which case, you might as well just add it to Steam yourself. Also, saying, "They need to get the filesize down," is like saying that it feels too Alpha at the moment... It's an Alpha. That means they aren't worrying about the final product quite yet. That means file size, Visuals, Bugs, Placeholders, etc are all going to be in flux till they come to the final stages of developement.

morikaze

Banned
I only ever played Facing Worlds in a demo but
p0QHO.gif

Pistola, eh? Would love the final being on the newly remade Facing Worlds.

Went to sleep and have yet to watch the finals. Were those on Facing worlds?

Do you really need an Epic account to try this? :/

Yes. It's on the client which also has UE4, Fortnite and ARK mod tools.

They're trying to not only push more people to develop mods and games using their tools, but also unify it all in one launcher that keeps it updated and notifies of news. This will never be on steam, unless in a way similar to Ubisoft games, in which case, you might as well just add it to Steam yourself. Also, saying, "They need to get the filesize down," is like saying that it feels too Alpha at the moment... It's an Alpha. That means they aren't worrying about the final product quite yet. That means file size, Visuals, Bugs, Placeholders, etc are all going to be in flux till they come to the final stages of developement.

Yeah, same goes for Fortnite. They might come to Steam, but Epic client will be the main client.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes. It's on the client which also has UE4, Fortnite and ARK mod tools.

:/

I'll pass until they allow me to try it without having to make another fucking site account.

Sick of publishers/developers wanting me to make fifty million accounts for their websites. :|

PnCIa

This is not getting nearly enough hype here...i´ve played every build since GDC. Appart from beeing a super fun game already its fascinating to see a game evolve like this.

This is great, some really good iterations on the formula already. Well worth checking out.

Performance isn't bad but I'm pretty surprised that according to the in-game frame times my GF 960 is a bigger bottleneck than my i3 2100 - this is at low details 1680x1050.

The launcher is another ManiaPlanet though.

Mr Git

Actually really excited to get back into UT. I haven't tried this version yet gonna install it after I build my new computer tomorrow.

Elixist

I don't see this being a success without steam it's too niche and the kids probably won't care. Best of luck to them though.

Two Words

I'll pass until they allow me to try it without having to make another fucking site account.

Sick of publishers/developers wanting me to make fifty million accounts for their websites. :|
Well that isn't going to happen. Kind of a strange battle to fight for a free to play game.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't see this being a success without steam it's too niche and the kids probably won't care. Best of luck to them though.

Yeah, niche like those Blizzard and LoL games. Steam isn't a requirement for a game to be popular, especially with a storied history such as UT.

Is wanting to be independent from the uncurated monstrosity that is steam such a crime?

Spazznid

The thing is, their success isn't going to be an unknown till release. They can immediately and organically gauge success, because the game is accessible right now. There are plenty of people playing right now even though it's in such an early stage, and the promise of being able to more fluidly create, release, and spread user-content is too much to pass up for a lot of people.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Dear god I'm so excited for this. GTX 980 at work, looks like I'm staying late today.

mdsfx

Just downloaded this yesterday. Having so much fun, but am dying for more content. Guess that's a good sign!

Just put of curiosity, is there a rough schedule for the project or is this more of a "it'll be done when it's done" sort of thing?

Just downloaded this yesterday. Having so much fun, but am dying for more content. Guess that's a good sign!

Just put of curiosity, is there a rough schedule for the project or is this more of a "it'll be done when it's done" sort of thing?

I don't think there is a set schedule for release but there are usually big updates every month

Well, back in the summer I recall they said alpha could be fall, but they haven't said anything about it since, and no schedule was given, so probably the latter. They always say what a small team they are. They teased "crazy cool stuff "for next tweek. no idea what's that is, might be something small. Also, I think a couple of weeks ago they said they're going to talk about Assault in the coming weeks? I think that might be the next mode added and not Domination as some thought.

I wonder how many UT players will have to upgrade their hardware to play this game at a stable competitive framerate.

I know I have to. I loaded up the Pre-Alpha of Unreal Tournament and it honestly looks like it's using OpenGL instead of Directx drivers on my laptop. I think it might be because I upgraded to Win 10. So I'm still figuring things out

Anyway this is awesome.

Grief.exe

Certainly an interesting time for shooters, thanks for keeping this updated.

Epic looks like they are doing a phenomenal job, I'll definitely be playing this when the time comes to make the switch.

Top Bottom