• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament pre-alpha thread

tuxfool

Banned
How are you feeling about the progression of the Alpha?

I check back in periodically and the thing I'm consistently bummed out about is the lack of people playing and it seems to directly stem from how slowly Epic is working on the map and client features.

I know it's a small team, but I feel like they're going to get their lunch eaten by other arena shooters like Overwatch and Lawbreakers due to how few resources Epic is seemingly putting in this thing.
This seems like the only game that actually offers deathmatch, which is exactly what I want first and foremost.

Crayon

Weren't the console versions 30% slower or somesuch?

I know for a fact that I saw them running side by side and I don't remember a difference in game speed.

I do remember that the console one ran at solid 30 fps and while it looked smooth enough whenever I first sat down for a sesh, once I was up to speed and "keyed-in" I could see every individual frame so in that sense it was slow. Veritable slideshow.

Anyhow I just got the game up and running on Ubuntu with a gtx760. Seems to run great. Took a bit of fucking around to link it thru steam but that works and steam controller works which was the point of the steam linking.

I'll have to try it later tho it's time to make some dinner.

"I know it's a small team, but I feel like they're going to get their lunch eaten by other arena shooters like Overwatch and Lawbreakers due to how few resources Epic is seemingly putting in this thing."

Lawbreakers and Overwatch aren't arena shooters. If someone wants a new Arena shooter, UT4 is the only one besides Reflex coming out.

Piers

I liked how ut3 played. I remember the main problem was that it was general being treated like a stepchild because gears was a huge hit. Besides that I remember some complaints about the big team game mode (war?) being inferior to the old one.

UT3's handling definitely was one of the biggest turn-offs for the fans, next to your reason. It was sluggish and stiff, to such a degree that vehicle modes were the only ones that really got any sort of players in them.

"UT3's handling definitely was one of the biggest turn-offs for the fans, next to your reason. It was sluggish and stiff, to such a degree that vehicle modes were the only ones that really got any sort of players in them."

You can't really use "fans" as a general term for the UT community, because it is heavily splintered. UT99 fans and UT2K4 fans do not particularly care for either game and they didn't have the same reaction to UT3.

Lawbreakers and Overwatch aren't arena shooters. If someone wants a new Arena shooter, UT4 is the only one besides Reflex coming out.

There is also Toxikk, but that is more or less a clone of UT2004 and has even less buzz than UT4 as far as I can tell. It's a shame though, because the early access has been pretty good, with regular big updates and a clearly defined road map.

Crayon

I take it back about ut4 running well. It ran nicely on the simple training hall. In game it runs like shit on these heaps I got. Playable shit, tho. It's really quite fun.

Piers

"UT3's handling definitely was one of the biggest turn-offs for the fans, next to your reason. It was sluggish and stiff, to such a degree that vehicle modes were the only ones that really got any sort of players in them."

You can't really use "fans" as a general term for the UT community, because it is heavily splintered. UT99 fans and UT2K4 fans do not particularly care for either game and they didn't have the same reaction to UT3.

afaik, both united to express their hatred for UT3 -- it was that big of a screw up

"I know it's a small team, but I feel like they're going to get their lunch eaten by other arena shooters like Overwatch and Lawbreakers due to how few resources Epic is seemingly putting in this thing."

I really like Reflex and prefer how it plays to UT so far, but barely anyone plays it. Theres a few dozen active duelers into it so there's that scene but it's nothing like bustling community. Sadly I think new UT will be the same way. It's just hard for a deathmatch game to find an audience these days. It's a super high skill ceiling game that also isn't welcoming to new people at all. The FFA being thought of as like a 'standard' mode makes it seem like a brainless genre also.

"afaik, both united to express their hatred for UT3 -- it was that big of a screw up"

Definitely not in the comp scene. Besides the people who wouldn't like anything that wasn't just an exact copy of their preferred game. Not unlike the Tribes community in that way.

The biggest criticisms UT3 got from players who actually play UT and were willing to play something that wasn't just 99 or 2K4 were that it didn't have a linux server binary, web admin (at launch), functional replays, or ZeroPing-quality netcode. The base maps left a little to be desired (though some were good), but the HOLP map packs added solid comp maps very early on.

I don't agree that the movement was stiff, it wasn't as floaty as UT99 or 2K4, but I don't really feel that's a bad thing. Furthermore, the differences in movement between UT2K4 and UT3 also influenced the map scale and that resulted in much better weapon balance in UT3.

I've been playing on and off since the start of the alpha, and got into it again recently. Can't really remember how UT3 handled and played to be honest, but I'm really liking this UT4. It can get very intense and hectic with the right team balance, using the wallrunning and sliding maneuvers I think helps the dynamic flow of the movement system, and I've grown very fond of it.

It's a shame there aren't more players out there. I've been mostly playing CTF lately and I've luckily been able to get into matches pretty frequently (EU region), so that's something.

I feel it captures some of that UT feeling fairly well, so it's been a blast so far.

WOW WOW WOW getting this asap!

So much memories, now in HD :p

You should. I think it was around 2 weeks ago it got a fairly large update with added music, improved textures/sounds to some weapons, and some maps seemed to have been finished off (DM-Tuba is now complete).

I've been playing on and off since the start of the alpha, and got into it again recently. Can't really remember how UT3 handled and played to be honest, but I'm really liking this UT4. It can get very intense and hectic with the right team balance, using the wallrunning and sliding maneuvers I think helps the dynamic flow of the movement system, and I've grown very fond of it.

It's a shame there aren't more players out there. I've been mostly playing CTF lately and I've luckily been able to get into matches pretty frequently (EU region), so that's something.

I feel it captures some of that UT feeling fairly well, so it's been a blast so far.

It feels exactly like UT2K4 to me, which is brilliant. I have been playing on and off since the start too. I haven't played as many CTF matches recently but I do like a Team Deathmatch when I can find one with enough players.

My name is EurozoneEconomy if you happen to be playing.

Anyone have any idea if/when they'll be adding an Onslaught mode? Do you guys remember this, awesome huge maps and vehicular combat way, way ahead of it's time. Basically what Battlefield copied for their Conquest mode.

Also, other classic modes like Invasion was a blast. Basically a horde survival mode.

"Anyone have any idea if/when they'll be adding an Onslaught mode? Do you guys remember this, awesome huge maps and vehicular combat way, way ahead of it's time. Basically what Battlefield copied for their Conquest mode."

Battlefield 1942 came out before Unreal Tournament got Onslaught.

The main thing with this game is the focus on community development. The actual Unreal Tournament team at Epic isn't very large, so if Onslaught is to happen any time soon, it'll probably be the product of modders.

"afaik, both united to express their hatred for UT3 -- it was that big of a screw up"

Definitely not in the comp scene. Besides the people who wouldn't like anything that wasn't just an exact copy of their preferred game. Not unlike the Tribes community in that way.

The biggest criticisms UT3 got from players who actually play UT and were willing to play something that wasn't just 99 or 2K4 were that it didn't have a linux server binary, web admin (at launch), functional replays, or ZeroPing-quality netcode. The base maps left a little to be desired (though some were good), but the HOLP map packs added solid comp maps very early on.

I don't agree that the movement was stiff, it wasn't as floaty as UT99 or 2K4, but I don't really feel that's a bad thing. Furthermore, the differences in movement between UT2K4 and UT3 also influenced the map scale and that resulted in much better weapon balance in UT3.

Im in the camp that liked both ut99 and ut2k4 and hated ut3 for the movement and awful feeling weapons. There was also a delay hard coded into the game which was especially noticeable on flak and shock/sniper guns which is again here in this game and it ruins it for me. The maps were pretty shit but that wasnt the biggest problem.

Im not a fan at all of zero ping netcode because it introduces errors to those of is who just play on low ping servers and gives laggers an advantge. Utcomp in ut2k4 was awful with its ping compensation feature. Completely desynced your enemys hitbox.

The awful handling also transferred to the vehicles as well. Holy god was the hoverboard bad. How do they ruin vehicles when they handled so well already in ut2k4

When this project got announced they said to expect Onslaught very very late with other modes coming before it. Modders might put it in before Epic as Tekno says.

"Im not a fan at all of zero ping netcode because it introduces errors to those of is who just play on low ping servers and gives laggers an advantge. Utcomp in ut2k4 was awful with its ping compensation feature. Completely desynced your enemys hitbox."

It's basically a matter of what shitty drawback you want with your netcode. You either accept delay in weapons, some form of lag compensation (server side rollback, etc.), or client-side hit detection.

"Im not a fan at all of zero ping netcode because it introduces errors to those of is who just play on low ping servers and gives laggers an advantge. Utcomp in ut2k4 was awful with its ping compensation feature. Completely desynced your enemys hitbox."

It's basically a matter of what shitty drawback you want with your netcode. You either accept delay in weapons, some form of lag compensation (server side rollback, etc.), or client-side hit detection.

delay in your weapons is the best because it correlates directly to your ping and doesnt introduce nearly as much sheer randomness while also allowing for toxic, out of region players. see bf4 for the most recent example of that one. gl shooting down one of those 200+ ping lagtards in a jet

"Anyone have any idea if/when they'll be adding an Onslaught mode? Do you guys remember this, awesome huge maps and vehicular combat way, way ahead of it's time. Basically what Battlefield copied for their Conquest mode."

Battlefield 1942 came out before Unreal Tournament got Onslaught.

The main thing with this game is the focus on community development. The actual Unreal Tournament team at Epic isn't very large, so if Onslaught is to happen any time soon, it'll probably be the product of modders.

When this project got announced they said to expect Onslaught very very late with other modes coming before it. Modders might put it in before Epic as Tekno says.

Ok thanks for the info.

Yeah I do appreciate the devs have limited manpower and I do expect Onslaught to be one of the final things they add because of that. But boy that would be awesome and elevate this game even higher.

Love seeing it improve each time though. Only little issue I don't like is the pistol alt-fire (a multi-shot). I would prefer the clip grenade from the old games. I remember I got some unlikely kills or saves with that in CTF :)

Anyone have any idea if/when they'll be adding an Onslaught mode? Do you guys remember this, awesome huge maps and vehicular combat way, way ahead of it's time. Basically what Battlefield copied for their Conquest mode.

I'd just be happy with TDM and Domination. Maybe Assault later on but keep the vehicles out :D

delay in your weapons is the best because it correlates directly to your ping and doesnt introduce nearly as much sheer randomness while also allowing for toxic, out of region players. see bf4 for the most recent example of that one. gl shooting down one of those 200+ ping lagtards in a jet

There is so often hitreg issues in modern games related to client side hit detection that I ask myself why the industry as a whole switched over even as pings were getting better across the board because people were getting better connections. Games like Q3 and RtCW were playable at <100 ping with no client side antilag and ran into much fewer issues. Sure you had to lead your shots a bit but that added some skill to the aiming and made cheats (aimbots) not as effective with simple model snapping. With modern 40-60 pings it would be totally fine, and the days of getting shot behind walls would be done.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
How are you feeling about the progression of the Alpha?

I check back in periodically and the thing I'm consistently bummed out about is the lack of people playing and it seems to directly stem from how slowly Epic is working on the map and client features.

I know it's a small team, but I feel like they're going to get their lunch eaten by other arena shooters like Overwatch and Lawbreakers due to how few resources Epic is seemingly putting in this thing.

Sry for answer time.
Well, personally I don't even categorize this game as a "Pre-Alpha" game now. It's like, I don't know, it's just a game being worked on with new things added months by months (approximately). If I say this, that's because every time I'm launching this game, I'm really enjoying it despite the fact that maps are not finished. The Pre-Alpha state isn't bothering me at all. I also think that there is a lot of people playing it (I speak for Europe), or, well, at least it's complicated to be alone. But sure there isn't 5000 people connected every evening.

I know it would be even better with Onslaught maps, VCTF, etc... But it didn't seems to be the main focus now. I saw someone from the staff saying that these gamemods including vehicle wouldn't appear before next year.
In fact, the thing that I don't understand is why Epic seems to be more focusing on advertising/working on games such as Paragon despite UT, a game which have, for me, a solid fan base structure since the end of the 90's. I know a lot of people are playing MOBA, etc... But I think that UT is a name knows by a loooot of people, so I don't understand why they aren't placing UT as the no.1 game to develop at Epic. As I say, this game is just a "Pre-Alpha" and it's totally gorgeous (at least for me) ! Just imagine what it could be with more developers.
I know also that they are counting on modders, but sometimes, I met people really enjoying UT and modding UT back in the days, but they didn't even know that a UT4 in being created. So, that's complicated. But for sure, I know some modders are on it.

Another thing that is bothering me is the reactions of some people on the game forum. Some of them are really annoying insulting the staff or getting in trouble with other user. I feel sad for the staff members sometimes. Everyone wants its own version of the game, but that's complicated. I know the staff can get over this and create a wonderful game for everyone !
I think the actual main direction is really great. The gameplay is fast & dynamic, and the maps design is modern while remembering me some great UT99/UT2K4 elements. People shouldn't also forget that they can create their own vision of the game themselves, Unreal Engine 4 is a really powerful and easy to access tool thanks to Blueprint.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Getting random 30-60 second freezes on the latest build :/, seems to be a problem found only on AMD CPUs too. First thought it was CPU usage related but when it happens the game is just using 18% of the CPU :lol.

Edit: Also, this fucking song played in one of the maps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxa-aYuBzvo
It's so damn good, it frustrated me that it turned into a stuttering mess :(

Edit #2: Random fix was to turn off bot voices and it worked, for some reason :lol. Alpha! I hope they make sound mixing a priority though, the rocket launcher in particular makes my ears ring. Also still funky how barebones maps run worse on my rig than fully textured ones, quite odd.

Fakedit: Nope, it just happens in maps that has music playing. The fuuuuuuuuuck?

You should. I think it was around 2 weeks ago it got a fairly large update with added music, improved textures/sounds to some weapons, and some maps seemed to have been finished off (DM-Tuba is now complete).

It feels exactly like UT2K4 to me, which is brilliant. I have been playing on and off since the start too. I haven't played as many CTF matches recently but I do like a Team Deathmatch when I can find one with enough players.

My name is EurozoneEconomy if you happen to be playing.

Also, other classic modes like Invasion was a blast. Basically a horde survival mode.

I grab a few shorter sessions when I get the time so I'll be on the lookout. Likewise, my nickname is the same as on GAF.

Not sure about the other modes, but I randomly ran into an Assault server a few weeks ago, I'm assuming it's a customized server but there were a lot of maps.

Getting random 30-60 second freezes on the latest build :/, seems to be a problem found only on AMD CPUs too. First thought it was CPU usage related but when it happens the game is just using 18% of the CPU :lol.

Edit: Also, this fucking song played in one of the maps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxa-aYuBzvo
It's so damn good, it frustrated me that it turned into a stuttering mess :(

Edit #2: Random fix was to turn off bot voices and it worked, for some reason :lol. Alpha! I hope they make sound mixing a priority though, the rocket launcher in particular makes my ears ring. Also still funky how barebones maps run worse on my rig than fully textured ones, quite odd.

Fakedit: Nope, it just happens in maps that has music playing. The fuuuuuuuuuck?

I'm not sure if this is the same problem I'm having but I'm getting massive freezes pre and post match, seems like it might be related to the chat, the entire game freezes around the time someone writes something in the public chat, or the message sfx is heard. It lasts for quite a while, sometimes even a minute or so, but the thing is my entire PC seems to hang for a while (alt+tab, the numlock LED, nothing works) and occasionally it unfreezes for a moment. It's otherwise very smooth during the matches, but between them it's terrible, but it doesn't happen all the time.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, both my CPU and GPU are AMD.

2k4 weapons felt wrong compared to UT99, but the maps were pretty nice, all told.

I think the issue is that blasts didn't splatter people into undiscernable gibs all the time. Someone's flailing ass is always around there somewhere.

lazygecko

2k4 weapons felt wrong compared to UT99, but the maps were pretty nice, all told.

I think the issue is that blasts didn't splatter people into undiscernable gibs all the time. Someone's flailing ass is always around there somewhere.

Guns seemed to do less damage overall in 2k3/4. Which in conjunction with the much more agile movement made firefights much more drawn out. On top of that, the sound design was also a lot quieter for the weapons. This all added up to making the combat feel much more wimpy which I didn't appreciate. In the end I mostly stuck to onslaught and vehicle-focused gameplay. Those custom race maps was practically all I ever did for a while.

As a UT '99 player, my issues with UT3 were quite simple:

- Overly complicated, maze-like maps. Compare to the elegance of something like Facing Worlds or Lava Giant. More complicated did not make the maps better; it made them messier and easier to lose your spacial awareness and place in the game.

- Oversized maps. This was a consequence of vehicular combat. UT 2004 did this well but maps just kept getting bigger and bigger and in UT3 many were so large that walking was no longer tenable.

- The loss of tension. Part of made the smaller map designs in UT99 in particular so good is that they were designed around longer, narrow corridors and alleyways that added an air of excitement and stress to Capture the Flag gaming. In the mazes of UT3, a lot of that tension was vacated for biziness. It didn't work for me. Vehicles in CTF also subtracted from some of the tension.

It tried to like it; just couldn't enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted to.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I grab a few shorter sessions when I get the time so I'll be on the lookout. Likewise, my nickname is the same as on GAF.

Not sure about the other modes, but I randomly ran into an Assault server a few weeks ago, I'm assuming it's a customized server but there were a lot of maps.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem I'm having but I'm getting massive freezes pre and post match, seems like it might be related to the chat, the entire game freezes around the time someone writes something in the public chat, or the message sfx is heard. It lasts for quite a while, sometimes even a minute or so, but the thing is my entire PC seems to hang for a while (alt+tab, the numlock LED, nothing works) and occasionally it unfreezes for a moment. It's otherwise very smooth during the matches, but between them it's terrible, but it doesn't happen all the time.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, both my CPU and GPU are AMD.

I thought it was that for me as well since it happened when I tried to chat, but it's actually related to sound somehow, maps without music run just fine, well, they don't freeze at least. My PC doesn't freeze at all, nor does it recognize UT as having frozen.

For me it happens on every single map that has music playing, which is a shame, because the tracks are awesome.

Edit: I'm so damn dumb, I can just turn the music volume down and it works, I'll just have a youtube playlist on in the background until it's fixed.

Played my first match in like a month. Went 40-18 (killed myself 3 times too lol). Goddamn it feels good to run around and own the hell out of people with the flak cannon :).

mdzapeer

This and Doom play so wonderfully, I feel a warm nostalgic feeling.

I tried Facing Worlds CTF against bots and wow it was great. If they keep the polish on this ...I can only imagine how good the final version will be.

wwm0nkey

Seems like the new trailer got a lot more people to try it out. Going to contribute some of that to DOOM for making people want a fast paced shooter again lol

mdzapeer

Seems like the new trailer got a lot more people to try it out. Going to contribute some of that to DOOM for making people want a fast paced shooter again lol

I was there since a few weeks after they announced the pre-alpha UT. Huge strides made since then. Before than I was living off UT2004 and UT99 for my fix lol.

Genki

I stopped playing last summer but will definitely return once exams are done. I think it might become my favorite UT, and I positively loved UT2004.

Crayon

Straight up. Doom drove me into this.

In fact, I just sold Doom a few minutes ago because it launched me into this sort of thing and I don't see myself replaying the single player ps4 game. If Doom ever gets traction with mods or anything Ill re-get it on Steam.

So far I love it. The only weird thing is that I get a strange bug where strafing sometimes simply doesn't work. Like the key is pressed but I can't move left or right.

panzone

Installed and played a couple of games.

I'm actually liking it and it's more complete that I was expecting. I'll probably continue to play it.

Wonko_C

Not directly related to UT but a funny and sad thing happened to me yesterday:

I got beaten on Quake Live, by my friend who plays in a pad and hadn't touched the game since the Xbox 360 version of Q3A. I got the mocking of my life and just reaffirmed their belief that pad players can be as good or better than KB/Mouse players.

It's time to admit I am beyond salvation at shooters... I never win but I enjoy Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament immensely. Modern FPS just won't appeal to me.

Run-M-Run

Ahh I can't wait for this to proceed to beta at some point. It looks great already but I just can't bring myself to play it yet.

I played this once with my bud and a few times on my own.

Deathmatch completely drains me. It's so refreshing to have such a fast and reflexive arena game, but man.... really drains me after just a single match or two.

Fantastic game.

When I get my new comp in the near future gonna be coming back to this too to really up the graphics.

Luschient

Oh man, how have I missed this? I'm not a PC gamer so I'm in the "please bring this to ps4" camp.

I would pay top dollar to play an HD version of CTF in Facing Worlds.

Top Bottom