• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament pre-alpha thread

They started talking about robots this week

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?21825-UT4-Robot-Faction

Hello all!

We are starting to explore designs for the UT4 Robot faction. This is the very beginning of the process and we are exploring visual design ideas.

Gooba has created the first concept working with Rick and I have starting roughing in the basic modeling. As always this will be an iterative, collaborative and evolving process. Nothing is final, this is just the beginning and I look forward to your feedback throughout the process.

The biggest thing to note is that we are going to have three main visual styles of robots. There will be many variants that come from this faction but starting out we are trying to focus on three distinct versions.

- Phase 1: Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

- Phase 2: Multipurpose bots used for industrial or combat purposes. They have some utilitarian looking components and some exposed areas but it's obvious they have upgraded various parts to be more effective in combat. They should look a little chunkier and more armored.

- Phase 3: Combat specific bots, the most powerful and deadly version. They have been engineered from the ground up to be the deadliest bots in the tournament. They have sleeker and more armored components and visually look like the strongest, toughest and meanest out of the three.

We are starting with the Phase 1 level bot so a very stripped down and industrial design. This version should be seen as the weakest and least prepared for combat. There are many exposed parts as it was created as a mining workhorse not a combat unit.

attachment.php

I will have first pass renders for the stream next wed 12_16 and I'll update this thread at the same time. Rick & Gooba will contribute to this thread regarding the concept and design. In the meantime please let us know what you think and if you have any ideas to share.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pre-alpha-unreal-tournament-joins-esl/

Seems like they're already getting a spot on ESL's roster of esport supported titles.

Unreal Tournament hasn't even reach alpha yet, but the chaps at ESL have decided that battles must be fought and champions must be made. Champions from Europe and North America at any rate. The ladders, leagues and cups will be supported by six admins and Epic itself, with details of the first competitions to follow in a few weeks.

http://play.eslgaming.com/new-games/pc/news/261555

I could see UT becoming a big deal in competitive gaming again. After all, it is a completely free highly skill based fast paced FPS.

For those with low-end machines worrying about performance - newer builds of this ran orders of magnitudes faster on my quite ancient laptop as compared to the first ones released. The first ever build I tried barely ran with an unplayable frame rate whilst the newer and presumably more optimised builds ran at decent and very playable speed.

The game seems to be getting more optimised and running better as a result all the time. Now would be a great time to try it out.

I have yet to try proper online actually, but in a 8 bots game I get around 40-60 fps on my i3-2330m GTX525m notebook. It can drop down more occasionally, but it performs better than half a year ago when I first tried it.

Btw just to get reaffirm the team is small

It's because UT doesn't have an FX arist. We have been getting along by re-using old stuff and occasionally we will get a little help from the other teams.

The Paragon team has 6-7 fx artists so they have the staff to make amazing things. We have an opening for a full time FX artist but Paragon and Fortnite get first dibs so it's been hard for us to find somebody.

As has been said many times UT is by far the smallest team at Epic, we don't even have one of each job type where they have at least 5-6 of each.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com...le-V1-COMPLETE&p=213288&viewfull=1#post213288

SkylineRKR

Haven't checked out the game in a month or so, updating now, thanks for the reminder.

I'm really having fun with this UT, it can be extremely hectic, fun and maddeningly frustrating at the same time. One thing I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do right is use the Shock Rifle properly. People are doing amazing stuff with that weapon and I'm pretty much handicapped with it, but then again, I've never really been good at these sorts of weapons.

I was a feared shock whore back in 2000. What I did was finding the right sensitivity, using the dot and no weapon view. Then train offline by making combos during jumps, turns and downwards etc. Once you get the hang of it, and start to get a feel of the distance you will shock them from accross the map and during movement.

I don't know if its changed in this version, but it was OP in vanilla UT.

K.N.W.

I had never played an UT game before and I wanted to give it a try, so I downloaded this pre-alpha, installed, got a nice first match with 15 kills, then I got destroyed for 4 matches in a row. Uninstalled. But the game is fun, very fast and heart-stopping =)

patchday

I'm going to have to check this out. I really loved UT'99 and it made a huge impact on my life (got into game programming, mods, etc)

cant get into this game. the shooting feels just like UT3, which was awful. the same delay when firing is there and it just ruins everything.

AaronMT86

I've been concerned for a while now that Epic pulled away many resources to work on Paragon. How is their team doing recently?

Team's small. Always been by their own admission. It's possible it got smaller as others went on help on Paragon and Fortnite, but this is just my guess.

I downloaded this end of last year when it was still very early and content was lacking. After the lackluster Doom beta I thought I'd get me some real arena shooter action and downloaded the Unreal pre alpha again and I've been playing since then.

The content now has grown a lot. DM Chill is a great little map and I've been playing the Showdown game mode. Great fun if you get two teams with semi-skilled players.

Anyone reading this who is mildly interested in arena shooters or who was disappointed with the Doom beta should check this out. You can level up your character, play the challenges and unlock customizations for your character.

Crayon

Nu Doom has me wanting to get in on this.

When ut3 came out I was all about it but you all like cod4 and hated ut3. :( Made me feel like a dinosaur.

But maybe now is the time to rise from the ashes.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member

When ut3 came out I was all about it but you all like cod4 and hated ut3. :( Made me feel like a dinosaur.

Honestly, I'm playing it since some months and damn, I know a lot of people are recently playing Overwatch, but UT give me some serious adrenaline feelings I can't have anywhere else, people should really give it a try (by the way I wasn't a big fan of UT3).
As Ashecitism already says, the game is in actual development with a small team on it, but the gameplay is so fun and fast that even in Pre-Alpha you can have some greeeat old fast-fps feelings.

lazygecko

Epic's handling of UT3 was absurd. They intentionally delayed it so they could put in glorified bot matches sprinkled with FMV cutscenes as a single player campaign. And that delay made them release the game within the same time frame as CoD4, The Orange Box, and Crysis.

Mechazawa

Honestly, I'm playing since some months and damn, I know a lot of people are recently playing Overwatch, but UT give me some serious adrenaline feelings I can't have anywhere else (by the way I wasn't a big fan of UT3).
As Ashecitism already says, the game is in actual development with a small team on it, but the gameplay is so fun and fast that even in Pre-Alpha you can have some greeeat old fast-fps feelings.

How are you feeling about the progression of the Alpha?

I check back in periodically and the thing I'm consistently bummed out about is the lack of people playing and it seems to directly stem from how slowly Epic is working on the map and client features.

I know it's a small team, but I feel like they're going to get their lunch eaten by other arena shooters like Overwatch and Lawbreakers due to how few resources Epic is seemingly putting in this thing.

the problem is it plays exactly like UT3, which almost no one liked. unless they make big changes to it its going to be another bomb.

Crayon

the problem is it plays exactly like UT3, which almost no one liked. unless they make big changes to it its going to be another bomb.

I liked how ut3 played. I remember the main problem was that it was general being treated like a stepchild because gears was a huge hit. Besides that I remember some complaints about the big team game mode (war?) being inferior to the old one.

lazygecko

I liked how ut3 played. I remember the main problem was that it was general being treated like a stepchild because gears was a huge hit. Besides that I remember some complaints about the big team game mode (war?) being inferior to the old one.

"From the makers of Gears of War" on the box art made me cringe. That was like the watershed moment that made me realize how all of these old PC-focused developers had abandoned their roots for the newer console audience.

I thought the gameplay in itself was fine as well. Lack of content and compeling game modes was the biggest issue. I think the second significant problem for it not catching on competitively was how the visuals suffered from typical AAA-itis with overcluttered design and abundance of poor post processing use diminished the important visual clarity. It didn't become a popular modding platform either as Epic were rather pushing UE3 for standalone development.

Crayon

"From the makers of Gears of War" on the box art made me cringe. That was like the watershed moment that made me realize how all of these old PC-focused developers had abandoned their roots for the newer console audience.

I thought the gameplay in itself was fine as well. Lack of content and compeling game modes was the biggest issue. I think the second significant problem for it not catching on competitively was how the visuals suffered from typical AAA-itis with overcluttered design and abundance of poor post processing use diminished the important visual clarity. It didn't become a popular modding platform either as Epic were rather pushing UE3 for standalone development.

Yeah the speed, movement, weapon balance were good.

And special mention to the control with a dualshock 3. Doom 2016 is the first game I've played since then that manages to better that.

Man. The ps3 version of ut3 supported keyboard and mouse so of course I played with a keyboard and mouse. Then I played with a gaf member Groovydoogles and he WRECKED me with a controller. I was in complete disbelief. Forever changed my view of what you could do with a controller.... and how good I really was with a mouse. :/

Top Bottom