• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Rami Malek puts on a really good performance in this game.

I just finished my second playthrough, and ended with four survivors instead of two.
Mike, Chris, Ashley and Emily

It seems like
Matt and Josh are destined to die
, and I lost
Jessica because I looked for collectibles while going to save her. Sam died because I lured the wendigos over to her in the chalet, and the don't move became very difficult.

Let's do this!

FWz13fF.jpg

Edit: reversible cover is decent but I think I actually prefer the default one

Leeness

Damnit. I can't access the DLC yet. Maybe I should hold off :(

Under my add ons it says "1 item" but when I click onto it there's nothing

I was trying to download it on the web store but it was giving me an error. I'm guessing it's unavailable before the game unlocks (9 PST).

I was trying to download it on the web store but it was giving me an error. I'm guessing it's unavailable before the game unlocks (9 PST).

Yeah. bummer. Debating whether I even care. I guess if I do a second playthrough I'll see the content at that point anyway

Neluba

Neo Member
Has anyone's EU preload started yet? I'm still waiting. I don't know if I can pull enough until tomorrow midnight if it doesn't start soon.

Let's do this!

Edit: reversible cover is decent but I think I actually prefer the default one

Yeah, the default art is better. It's awesome-looking.

Is there any time to like... change your posture? I doubt I could hold it still the way i'm lying on the couch most of the time.

What happens is an image of the DS4's light bar shows on the screen near the bottom. It's got an outline around it, with a bit of space in-between. If you move the controller out of it at all, then you're screwed.

It can be tricky at times.

Leeness

Yeah. bummer. Debating whether I even care. I guess if I do a second playthrough I'll see the content at that point anyway

Haha. I have to wait for everything to unlock because I went digital.

Which means I most likely won't play until tomorrow because I go to bed around 9ish ;_;

Haha. I have to wait for everything to unlock because I went digital.

Which means I most likely won't play until tomorrow because I go to bed around 9ish ;_;

What error did you get?

When I try to DL from the web store it says "Playable". I wonder if I am good to go? I didn't see anything download though

tNkb4Ev.png

KingJ2002

Nice OP... i went ahead and put this on my rental list so it should come to me tomorrow.

as far as the reviews... i don't trust them... but my short experience at e3 gave me the impression that the game would score between 7-8... a good experience but not a system defining one. Something that Sony has been putting out since the start of this generation.... like... this game sites right next to infamous: ss in terms of build quality and relevance to it's respective genre's

Leeness

What error did you get?

When I try to DL from the web store it says "Playable". I wonder if I am good to go? I didn't see anything download though

tNkb4Ev.png

Just "Download Error". I mean...doesn't matter much anyway because even if it downloaded, can't play until 9 anyway :D

I just finished my second playthrough, and ended with four survivors instead of two.

It seems like
, and I lost
Jessica because I looked for collectibles while going to save her. Sam died because I lured the wendigos over to her in the chalet, and the don't move became very difficult.

Matt can def live but Josh living isn't exactly great persay

Alright. Screw the DLC. PSN Web store says "playable" so maybe it's already unlocked on the disc or something. Who knows, if I don't see it this time it's just incentive to play the game again. YOLO

I'll be streaming it too

Just preordered at Best Buy with GCU. I hope the guy there was right when saying the code for the dlc will be on the receipt.

If you preorder in-store, the code might still be emailed to you, but if not it'll be printed on your receipt.

Not going to be able to get this until the weekend. In two minds whether to play along with my wife - she likes cinematic games and can get quite into the story. But she doesn't like horror movies, so..

Are there mechanisms to skip/FFWD sections on a replay? I'm wondering whether on a second/subsequent run through you'd be more focused on tweaking your responses to key events, and less inclined to watch everything play out in realtime.

You can do Episode Select but once you do, you have to play from there to the end to get a completely different ending. Nothing in the game can be fast-forwarded beyond that.

Any idea how the DLC works? Someone mentioned it should be played during your main playthrough, do I need to access it separately from the menu or is it integrated into the game? Just want to make sure I play it in the right order

It integrates within the main game. It's highly recommended to have it before you play.

Just started playing this. i'm starting to get a little worried with the storytelling - which is CRUCIAL in making this type of thing work for me. I expected a B-movie script with Telltale competency. I guess I was expecting some type of intro with credits and dialogue to show the relationships and to help you get into the personalities.

A slow build up.

No intro credits or conversations. Within 5 minutes you're already chasing somebody who runs DEEP into the woods because their feelings were hurt. Into the snow. Alone. At night.

You're controlling a bunch of characters who haven't even been given the opportunity to fall into comfortable archetypes. There's already an ominous threat outside the window.

Reminds me of how much i REALLY enjoy the Telltale games writing...

I just started, but I wish I'd waited a little...

I'm sure you've played past that section by now, but that only happens in the intro. There's regular introductions and world-building once the main game starts.

I totally don't mind the cliche. I expected it. It's just that the prologue feels so ABRUPT. Things seem to be happening so quickly...

But I bought it so I'm going to stick with it.

For those of you who have played it, though, I wonder as we move towards more cinematic games if you think an actual horror movie director and an actual horror movie script would translate into a compelling experience? I just watched Ti West's The House of The Devil and I would LOVE to play an experience that feels like that movie.

Granted, I know that here we'll probably get SCREAM at best, but watching this genre of gaming grow has me kind of excited....

As others have said, this is written/directed/produced by horror movie directors and writers. Can't get any better than that!

Random question: Is this a whodunit story with a mystery to solve, or is the killer a Jason/Michael Myers type with a backstory and an actual identity?

Both, and I'll say no more!

Anyone know how I can get the dlc for this if I'm buying from best buy but can't preorder?

If you get it on release date tomorrow they will more than likely have a code for you.

It seems like
, and I lost

Sam
died for me at literally the last "Don't Move" section, about
seconds into the
required to save her! I was freaking annoyed!

Riptwo

This game is great so far, but does the dialogue audio seem ultra tinny to anyone else? I'd blame my audio setup, but other games sound fine, so I'm not sure what's up.

AdaWong

It seems like
, and I lost

No one is destined to die; Sam, Mike, Emily, Chris, Ashley, Jessica and Matt can all make it out alive. Josh's fate, however is different, he can either die by getting his head crushed or captured, you can keep him alive but he won't get out like the others as he will be captured down there by the wendigo of Hannah

No one is destined to die; Sam, Mike, Emily, Chris, Ashley, Jessica and Matt can all make it out alive. Josh's fate, however is different, he can either die by getting his head crushed or captured, you can keep him alive but he won't get out like the others as he will be captured down there by the wendigo of Hannah

That's what I'd heard/kind of knew. It just seemed like, no matter what I did,
Matt wouldn't make it out alive.
Both he and
Josh (head crushed by Hannah)
died in the exact same spots both play throughs.

That's what I'd heard/kind of knew. It just seemed like, no matter what I did,
Matt wouldn't make it out alive.
Both he and
Josh (head crushed by Hannah)
died in the exact same spots both play throughs.

I think Matt has
three potential death scenes.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Character death discussion? Come on now.... there's an entire spoiler thread for that.

Just give me this one thread until tomorrow.

Just started playing this. i'm starting to get a little worried with the storytelling - which is CRUCIAL in making this type of thing work for me. I expected a B-movie script with Telltale competency. I guess I was expecting some type of intro with credits and dialogue to show the relationships and to help you get into the personalities.

A slow build up.

No intro credits or conversations. Within 5 minutes you're already chasing somebody who runs DEEP into the woods because their feelings were hurt. Into the snow. Alone. At night.

You're controlling a bunch of characters who haven't even been given the opportunity to fall into comfortable archetypes. There's already an ominous threat outside the window.

Reminds me of how much i REALLY enjoy the Telltale games writing...

I just started, but I wish I'd waited a little...

The attention spans of some people really scare me.

"I just started the game, not finished the prologue....but I had to post my impressions and say I'm dissapointed at the pacing."

Good grief, have you ever made it to the intro song of a Bond movie or do just bail 5mins in?

The theme song is fantastic.

Also, sorry to those who bemoan the character death talk. I didn't know the spoiler thread was up. It wasn't earlier when I looked.

theecakee

So as someone who is very whimpy and easily scared, is this game more like Amnesia scary or is it just more of a QTE game like Heavy Rain with some scary elements?

Dinjooh

So as someone who is very whimpy and easily scared, is this game more like Amnesia scary or is it just more of a QTE game like Heavy Rain with some scary elements?

I usually handle these type of campy horror movies/games by playing with tons of light on and the volume on rather low. Amnesia and the like can fuck right off though, can't handle that.

This didn't scare me as much as I was hoping. The jump scares weren't bad, either. I just didn't get spooked much.

I still enjoyed it a lot, though, and was on my toes through parts.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Sounds like the game is quite short if some of you have finished it a couple of times already. That worries me as I was going to pick it up today but instead I think I might just wait till a price drop.

Sounds like the game is quite short if some of you have finished it a couple of times already. That worries me as I was going to pick it up today but instead I think I might just wait till a price drop.

It's of decent length. Doesn't feel too short, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

There are 10 chapters, and it took me between 8-9 hours the first time and about 6.5 the second.

Anybody know when RedBox puts new releases in to the kiosks? Saw somewhere else that the popular locations get midnight drops but wanted to see if anybody else could confirm, thinking about popping over to one later tonight for this if so.

I got it on Saturday morning and made a point of getting all the possible endings ASAP. I spent probably 25 hours with the game this weekend and today. If you do a normal playthrough, getting only collectibles you see in your direct path, it'll take you between 7.5 and 8.5 hours, a bit more if you have the preorder DLC, which I didn't. The length is basically perfect (twss).

I got it on Saturday morning and made a point of getting all the possible endings ASAP. I spent probably 25 hours with the game this weekend and today. If you do a normal playthrough, getting only collectibles you see in your direct path, it'll take you between 7.5 and 8.5 hours, a bit more if you have the preorder DLC, which I didn't. The length is basically perfect (twss).

I mean if you compare it to long rpgs or open world games it's short, but for the genre or even survival horror, it's a perfect length.

OniBaka

For those that have beaten the game, is it possible to have a group of friends and have them delegated to a character in game?

LUXURY

I just bought the steelbook from Amazon.de. Should be here by the 8th of September. I hope I did it right. Hah. I just followed the directions which seemed to mimic the US store. Can't wait. I don't even have the Playstation 4 yet but wanted to get this early.

UberTag

For those that have beaten the game, is it possible to have a group of friends and have them delegated to a character in game?
It is... but I wouldn't pre-designate.
Some characters barely get any playtime so you'll really be burning some of your friends if they're enthusiastic about the game but pick someone who's a veritable non-factor.

Top Bottom