• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Update: It was Reversed]Microsoft has reduced the Microsoft Rewards even more by reducing 10 & 5 points rewards down to 1 point

"You have enough points to spend $1.25 on the Microsoft store!" - My 18 year old Xbox account

Oh My God Wow GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
In anticipation of the Series X launching I spent the previous (almost) year doing those missions and stuff to save up points. I ended up having enough to cover buying DMC5 SE and that Falconeer game on launch. That was kinda cool, but fuck doing that again.

krumble

You can get like £7 a month just from playing online multiplayer games daily.
That's my problem then.. I'm not a fan of online play, tried time and again from the birth of doom, quake etc.. chu chu rocket on early Dreamcast net play, and every opportunity after that at all the milestones, halo, gears, psn titles I jumped in to try and fall in love with online play... I have a Nintendo online pass but no other subscriptions anymore after years of wasteful unused services

Anyway - I bought a 1 month ultimate pass to grab some cheap ea games and have been racking up some more points at least that way for the next few weeks

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The 15 minute cooldown seems to be random, with someone on Reddit reporting that things went back to normal for them.

Really odd, but if they hit me with it, I’ll stop doing searches with Microsoft Rewards.

bender

What time is it?
I haven't been hit with the 15 minute cooldown but there seems to be a 5 second cooldown between searches and I'm not having luck just searching for y, yy, yyy, etc. I only search on mobile via the Start App and on the Xbox via the Bing app so while things are more cumbersome, I'm still getting north of 640 points per day this month. Though that will take a hit with the Edge Gaming Tab going away (10-50 points per day). Rewards App on Xbox still has the weekly streaks active which is another 350 points per week (100 each week, 2500 every 10th week) and the Puzzles pieces are back (15 points per day, 1000 points every 12th week). With Game Pass Ultimate, my estimate of 20K points per month is pretty solid. I guess if they hit me with cooldowns, that will change my outlook as I wouldn't put up with that hassle.

Zuzu

I wish Bing would provide search results that are as good as Google. I've been using it for a fair while now. It's generally fine for simple searches but it's still significantly worse than Google for producing good search results a lot of the time. If they want us to use it more then why haven't they improved the search results yet?

Last edited:

El Muerto

The 15 minute cooldown seems to be random, with someone on Reddit reporting that things went back to normal for them.

Really odd, but if they hit me with it, I’ll stop doing searches with Microsoft Rewards.
I quit doing rewards at the time of my post (RIP 600d streak). Tried searches just now and still have the 15min cooldown.

DavidGzz

I wonder if people just use bots to game it and are ruining it for everyone else? I mean people use bots to buy up consoles, so I bet they can do the same to farm points.

Labadal

I gain 150 points/day. 60 via mobile search, and 90 via browser search. Aint got no Xbox or game pass.

Pre-ordered a couple of PlayStation games via Amazon, which I find kind of funny.

Last edited:

GeoramA

I gain 150 points/day. 60 via mobile search, and 90 via browser search. Aint got no Xbox or game pass.

Pre-ordered a couple of PlayStation games via Amazon, which I find kind of funny.
Same. I cashed out my points and pre-ordered Rise of the Ronin.

Topher

Gold Member
I wonder if people just use bots to game it and are ruining it for everyone else? I mean people use bots to buy up consoles, so I bet they can do the same to farm points.

Nah....this is all about reducing the number of points people earn regardless of how it is done. That's why achievements went from 50 to 5, nerfing the rewards app on Xbox and daily clicks on the Rewards page went down to 1 or 2 points. Only reason to use a bot is for the searches, but you don't even need to do that. Just have a browser pre-configured with tabs to do the same searches every single day. That was too easy and that's why they put in the cooldown. They want people to use Bing throughout the day. lol....good luck with that.

cireza

And now wait for the next change : there will only be one daily quest available per day. Pure genius.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Did they bump up the number of daily/weekly tasks required?
There's only 2 weekly quests now, i only have "Earn Your Way" and "Complete 3 Daily Quests". Still have the two daily quests.

This really sucks as we have to get at least 15 achievements a month if we do the "play a gamepass game" everyday to get the 1k points.

BigLee74

Insane amount of dailies needed now. You will basically need to find a game on Gamepass that throws out achievements like candy, and force yourself to play it every other day until one pops. Urgh.

They really are trying to put off the casuals.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
There's only 2 weekly quests now, i only have "Earn Your Way" and "Complete 3 Daily Quests". Still have the two daily quests.

This really sucks as we have to get at least 15 achievements a month if we do the "play a gamepass game" everyday to get the 1k points.

Insane amount of dailies needed now. You will basically need to find a game on Gamepass that throws out achievements like candy, and force yourself to play it every other day. Urgh.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

FireFly

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought they previously made Quest Completionist 500 points. Now that exists as "Quest Dedication" but they added Quest Completionist back as a 1000 point option that is much harder to achieve.

Wizz-Art

Glad they reverted some stuff like the cooldown and the low amount of points in the daily tasks area. They should bring the 50 points back for earning an achievement a day in any game not just exclusive to games that are on Game Pass. I still earn a good amount of points each month but it was better a year or so ago with also the buy or rent 3 movies for 4 dollars or more each and receive 2500 bonus points, I really miss that one and I barely bought digital movies since then.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I still have the 3 searches every 15min cooldown as of today. And the new gamepass quests are still awful as you need 45 daily quests to get the quest completionist instead of the 25 or whatever it was. I quit doing the searches, and the gamepass rewards as it doesnt seem worth it now. I was pulling in around 25k points a month before all these changes, now i'm getting around 10k. This program was too good to be true when it first started.

Topher

Gold Member
It looks like these changes have now been reverted.

Glad they reverted some stuff like the cooldown and the low amount of points in the daily tasks area. They should bring the 50 points back for earning an achievement a day in any game not just exclusive to games that are on Game Pass. I still earn a good amount of points each month but it was better a year or so ago with also the buy or rent 3 movies for 4 dollars or more each and receive 2500 bonus points, I really miss that one and I barely bought digital movies since then.

Cooldown hasn't been reverted. Seems like it might have been for a few, for some reason. Rewards Hunter youtube channel posted a video about it.

They reverted the 1,2 point nonsense at least.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I never did all the searching stuff that required cooldowns, but I did do the daily crap on the XSX app, but the changes made me stop completely.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah... there is still the small issue of 45 dailies this month for the 1000 so you have to get 14 separate achievements in addition to playing an Xbox Game Pass game each day.

Or however you want to add it up to 45.

That's a bit shit.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It looks like these changes have now been reverted.

Yep.

The only thing left for me now is the 5 second cool-down between searches.

The 10 point tiles are back, the 15 min cooldown is gone. The 1000 pts monthly quest is back.

And starting just today they've added new console based quests (daily sand weekly) on the Xbox app a well.

Feelsgoodman.

U2BIULc.jpg

Last edited:

Darsxx82

This thread needs an edit..... It seems that there has been a reversal and rewards points are back or at least something worthwhile again.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't get this.

If I sign up and just go on random websites, I can earn enough points to buy games or GP subs? Is that right?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't get this.

If I sign up and just go on random websites, I can earn enough points to buy games or GP subs? Is that right?

Broadly speaking, yes.

Lots of us use these points to get free game pass, or gift codes to buy things from the MS store (or you can even use points to get other store cards too).

I think adamsapple adamsapple gets special treatment due to his "services"

The tag pays for itself.
😇

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't get this.

I created an OT to try and explain how it works.....

twilo99

Yeah... there is still the small issue of 45 dailies this month for the 1000 so you have to get 14 separate achievements in addition to playing an Xbox Game Pass game each day.

Or however you want to add it up to 45.

That's a bit shit.

Yeah, I got like 10 achievements in Vampire survivors yesterday but I think it only counted as 1 towards that monthly goal

Top Bottom