• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Note that it says they can still put them in check-in baggage, so whatever security reason exists is bullshit, because whatever it is can still go on the plane. It's just finding ways to make it difficult for Muslim countries.

bag_check.png

I wish I knew enough to know how accurate this claim is.

Someone probably forwarded this to Bannon

More security theatre bigoted bullshit.

But no security theatre over domestic homegrown terrorists that cause terrorist attacks in USA every week or month.

HMD

A 17 hour flight with no electronics, Thanks USA I know where I'm not spending my money this summer.

Kinokou

That's inconvenient. I know my insurance wouldn't cover any kind of damage or loss of property if I were stupid enough, their definition, to put a laptop in the non carry on baggage. Not that I would travel to the US from any of these locations, or at all, but if insurance is the same in those locations I feel a lot of sympathy.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I fly to the US from the middle east, the flights I take usually stop over in Amsterdam and London though, so they aren't affected by this. It's still obnoxious though.

Apparently the intel about some kind of AL Qaeda plot regarding bombing planes using electronics has been around for months but the Yemen raid prompted them to finally act on it.
I suppose it could have a rational reason behind it, but it smells too much like another convenient way to make it a bigger hassle for people in that region to visit the US.

So electronics are banned from the airport that will be the main hub for the 2022 FIFA world cup?
lmao, hopefully Trumps in Jail by then.

While this is shitty, I've done plenty of 16 hour flights with just my phone and it wasn't the worst experience.

Yeah, to say nothing of the VDU. I almost never take a tablet or laptop on a flight. Which isn't to say this ban's justified (though maybe it is - seems weird they'd let you have a phone but not a tablet if it wasn't actually security related) but I think people are slightly overeacting to the prospect of taking a flight which is roughly analogous to how it was ~6 years ago (but with a better VDU and a better phone).

Jumeira

Banned
Phase 2. He'll continue to add obstacles that target muslims as the months go on.

Everyone knew it'll be a gradual build up of discrimination not sudden.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This doesn't make any sense. Because those "dangerous" devices are still checked in the plane and there's nothing stopping a terrorist from re-routing through one of the non-banned airlines. Unless they think the threat is from some lazy terrorists or if they are short on money.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Phase three of Trump's bizarre and shameless DDOS attack on the courts.

Yeah, to say nothing of the VDU. I almost never take a tablet or laptop on a flight. Which isn't to say this ban's justified (though maybe it is - seems weird they'd let you have a phone but not a tablet if it wasn't actually security related) but I think people are slightly overeacting to the prospect of taking a flight which is roughly analogous to how it was ~6 years (but with a better VDU and a better phone).

Hm... People traveling for business that works on their laptop while flying will be screwed though.

numble

Yeah, to say nothing of the VDU. I almost never take a tablet or laptop on a flight. Which isn't to say this ban's justified (though maybe it is - seems weird they'd let you have a phone but not a tablet if it wasn't actually security related) but I think people are slightly overeacting to the prospect of taking a flight which is roughly analogous to how it was ~6 years (but with a better VDU and a better phone).

I know lawyers that are able to bill maybe $5000 of work on trans-pacific flights just working on WiFi and their laptop.

I went to Egypt in February and the staff made everyone with laptops on board the return flight take them out and turn them on before boarding.

Pixieking

Banned
I went to Egypt in February and the staff made everyone with laptops on board the return flight take them out and turn them on before boarding.

Leave through any airport in the UK and you'll see signs saying every device must be able to be switched on. The implication is that if it can't be turned-on at request, it has to be left behind.

uhh...doesn't he realize that for a lot of Americans Doha, Dubai or even Abu Dhabi are gateways to the East/Africa?

Stupid.

pigeon

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised at how many posters in this thread are still, even after two failed attempts to ban Muslims from America and deliberately cruel immigration enforcement actions, willing to assume that THIS onerous and frustrating order, which targets only Muslim-majority countries, must represent a genuine national security concern rather than just another effort to stick it to brown people.

Where does that benefit of the doubt come from for you people, exactly?

I'm genuinely surprised at how many posters in this thread are still, even after two failed attempts to ban Muslims from America and deliberately cruel immigration enforcement actions, willing to assume that THIS onerous and frustrating order, which targets only Muslim-majority countries, must represent a genuine national security concern rather than just another effort to stick it to brown people.

Where does that benefit of the doubt come from for you people, exactly?

Hey hey, give the man a chance would you!

RiZ III

So my sister can't travel from Dubai with her 6 year olds iPad because she and her kid are Muslim and coming from a Muslim majority country. This is just this administrations way of getting around the travel ban. If they can't succeed in banning Muslims, they're just going to resort to these kinds of tactics to dissuade people from coming.

It's actually a very effective way of making Muslim families feel extremely unwelcomed to the US. Then people have worry about the extra questioning at the airport where they have started separating children from the parents. Awful stuff.

danowat

Banned
Interestingly, one of the purported causes of the Egyptair 804 crash was due to the pilots Ipad or iphone, although it seems a little odd that they've done it on size, rather than a blanket ban on all devices.

Quite confused that you can't have them with you, but it's okay as checked baggage. Wasn't their a ban or sth. a some point in checked baggage for batteries?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This is just Trump's muslim ban getting more and more weak sauced tbh

ban all muslims!!!111 (oops apparantly we can't do that) ->ban people from 13 predominantly muslim countries!!!111 (shut down by the court) ->ban people from TWELVE predeominantly muslim countries!!!!11!! (shut down by the court) -> AT LEAST WE'LL TAKE THEIR IPADS!!!!!111 (?)

Grym

Hm... People traveling for business that works on their laptop while flying will be screwed though.

Sucks for business travel. I'm pretty sure we have corporate policies in place to never leave your work laptop unattended (or check it in baggage) due to corporate confidentiality and/or theft reasons. And that's not to mention being completely unproductive on 10+ hour flights.

I guess I don't understand what it accomplishes anyway. If you can get a electronics bomb through security, does it matter much if it goes off in the luggage hold instead of the cabin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom