• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PS Plus May (Stick it to the Man, PES 2014, Limbo, Puppeteer)

.la1n

Got puppeteer during the last sale and it didn't really wow me but I feel like maybe I am not far enough in, only on Chapter 4 if I remember correctly. I actually never picked up PES so I am looking forward to that the most.

Darksol

Fuck, I wanted Muramasa. Ah well, can't complain -- I've wanted to try Stick it to the Man and Limbo for quite a while now, and Puppeteer is awesome.

Marche90

Puppeteer and Skullgirls for me this month.

May also "buy" PES14, to please a few of my friends who like footie, even though I don't exactly like these kinds of games

ocean

Banned
I'm getting my PS3 back in a week (finally).

My little brother got a slim PS3 and he's sending me our old one. He's keeping most of the games though. PS Plus sounds like a great way to have a library of games available without having to go out and purchase a new set of games.

Just to get this straight: if I suscribe to PS Plus now I'll get access to the entire backlog of games that've been added to its library? Because I saw a Wikipedia list and it's huge! I would literally not have to buy a single game for months and just rock it out on those titles!

Oh wow I didn't realize Stick it to the Man is an adventure game. Very excited to try this out now.

I'm getting my PS3 back in a week (finally).

My little brother got a slim PS3 and he's sending me our old one. He's keeping most of the games though. PS Plus sounds like a great way to have a library of games available without having to go out and purchase a new set of games.

Just to get this straight: if I suscribe to PS Plus now I'll get access to the entire backlog of games that've been added to its library? Because I saw a Wikipedia list and it's huge! I would literally not have to buy a single game for months and just rock it out on those titles!

You only get the games that are currently on offer. When an offer expires you get to keep it if you downloaded it but if you never added it to your download queue then you miss out.

BigDug13

If Limbo was on PS3 this would be perfect. Look forward to the PS3/4 games to be honest

Limbo already was on PS+ PS3 wasn't it? That's one of the flaws I guess is if you miss your opportunity to get that game, it will never cycle back through again.

ocean

Banned
Oh wow I didn't realize Stick it to the Man is an adventure game. Very excited to try this out now.

You only get the games that are currently on offer. When an offer expires you get to keep it if you downloaded it but if you never added it to your download queue then you miss out.

So if I were to join PS Plus next week, the only available free games for me would be those offered starting that date? Meaning no Street Fighter and Bioshock for me? :( Truly sad news.

I think it'll still be worth it though.

JayEH

Waiting for November PS plus when Knack is free as Sony preps for marketing for Knack 2: Knack n Clank.

Ponn

Banned
So if I were to join PS Plus next week, the only available free games for me would be those offered starting that date? Meaning no Street Fighter and Bioshock for me? :( Truly sad news.

I think it'll still be worth it though.

If those games are leaving next week then yes but not all games get cycled out. If you want Bioshock and SF best to just get PS Plus now and add them through the SEN website on your acct. They will be there when you log into your ps3.

MazeHaze

Banned
Got puppeteer during the last sale and it didn't really wow me but I feel like maybe I am not far enough in, only on Chapter 4 if I remember correctly. I actually never picked up PES so I am looking forward to that the most.

Puppeteer started off slow IMO, but later on there are some really really cool stages.

Can you make Pro Evolution Soccer super arcadey? I mean like NES Word Cup Soccer arcadey? I don't care for soccer even a little bit, but if the game can be adjusted to go off the wall it could be fun.

To anyone interested in picking up Skullgirls...

Be sure to download the Squigly character unlock now, as her free period will expire before the game goes free on PS+.

Thank you, will be doing this when I get home.

Nice protip... thanks!

Wow, thanks for the heads up!

Looks like there's another free character unlock as well, Big Band. Does he expire too?

Thanks for the headsup, downloading right now!

Would any of you be interested in some fun matches? Add me:
itzknickknac

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
An extremely light month but most of these games are quality.

Surge is exceptional, coming from Futurlab, that's a given. Sreat mechanics and it's one of the best games technically you can get on the Vita. Smooth framerate, smooth controls, fantastic IQ, trademark Futurlab qualities you just expect to be there.
Limbo is super short but the blacks looks fantastic on an OLED screen. Which is sadly the best I can say about it. Not that the game isn't good, it's just sort of underwhelming for me. It's no Thomas Was Alone, that's for sure.
Puppeteer is the game of the month though. Just download it and enjoy. Some people won't and that's okay, but it's the last AA gem from a first party internal studio you're gonna get for a long long time.
PES
is a soccer game and I'm going to download it because why the hell not.
If I'm being honest though, Skullgirls is the best game on the list. Download it immediately. The most thorough tutorial mode you've even seen awaits to teach you how to play a fighting game for those that are scared and every animation is hand drawn by the marvelous Kinuko who even has a Tumblr. It's a Tumblr so slightly NSFW, y'know. It's a game y'all need to get.

Z3M0G

So I guess I could have waited for Plus for Puppeteer after all...

Edit: Holy shit... I own a large 3DTV now... time to get back into this!!!

Yeah, and I think it's a great fit for PS Plus. I personally think the game is really fun while it lasts, but similar to many point-and-click adventures (I think that's the closest genre I could use to describe it) it's not that long and the replayability is somewhat limited, so I imagine some people have been hesitant to pay for it. Getting it for free will result in a lot more people giving a chance, which makes me happy as one of the developers behind the game. :)

Agreed! Also congrats! I enjoyed it and it was one of the funnier games I've played in a long time.

People are free to do what they want, but this is shitty in so many levels.

If the game is great and you want to play it, you should buy it. Support the developer.

Why? The devs have made the rules that they'll give their games away for free. They made the game (how games are sold, not this specific title) and they made the rules of the game. Don't get mad at the guy you quoted because he's playing by the rules devs set.

It's not different than F2P imo. Some people say if you like it you should give them something. I say screw that. If you're the company that feels like games shouldn't be paid for, well that's a crazy proposition to someone like me who values games and grew up paying for them, but if that's the rule, hell I'll follow your rule. More money in my pocket.

The same goes for Steam sales. If the devs are telling me games are only worth $5, don't get mad at me for only pay $5. I'm doing exactly what they want.

WarpathDC

Easily the worst ps+ offering in a while. The ps4 game looks so so and I'm tired of the shitty us vita offerings compared to the other territories

Never heard of Stick it to the man or Surge Deluxe till today, but I will give them a shot. I always wanted to give Puppeteer a shot, and I finally get the chance :). Never played PES, or any soccer game in that matter, so not so sure about that. I heard good things about Skullgirls, so I will try that. I played Limbo, but might as well play it again.

Own Limbo (it's great) and Puppeteer (picked up on $7 sale) already.

PES14 = makes the month for me
SkullgirlsEncore = will try, definitely would not have bought
StickIt + Surge = someday Vita/PS4 games, but neither seem super compelling

re: Puppeteer. Just played some last night, oddly enough. My feeling is mixed. For folks getting this free, it's basically a fun "curiosity box" with high production values and a distinct mood/universe. However, imo, gameplay/narrative wise Puppeteer is not really sticky/challenging enough and so, after the novelty of the concept wears off, the game is mostly, a bit of a let down that feels like slogging through an animated movie that still has some very nice set pieces.

For myself, no regrets on picking it up for so cheap, but seeing that Trine 2 is now $5.99...kind of ask myself why I'm spending more time exploring Puppeteer when I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed Trine 2 much more.

re: buying games that then go for Free on PS+. Eh, half of what's great about PS+ is the fun of the sales...the sales allow you to support and try offbeat games, which gives me PS1/PS2 era vibes. So, it comes with the territory. If we all just waited for things to be free, that would be unworkable. Best to mix it up and know that this will happen sometimes. Realistically, owning still means you could take a year off of PS+ and still have a library of digital games. That's worth something.

re: PS3. 2014 PS3 w/ PS+ is just sick value. I went from being a retro only gamer six months ago to swimming in recent quality titles, indies to blockbusters, many of which have decent online communities.

I seriously don't have time to fully play all these games, but enjoying every minute of the PS3 and PS+ world. (Demon's Souls, Last of Us, Valkyria plus all these indies!!)

If you add up the duds/regrets it's vastly outweighed by the really great stuff.

What I like about what Sony is doing, is that they are creating an environment where people play and own a TON of games, and have access to even more. It's just not a big deal to try something new.

That's good for gaming, in my opinion.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Has the US already gotten Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed in the past? The console version, not the Vita one.

I'm interested in a good Kart racer, and I'm wondering if I should just try to find it for cheap if it's not going to be in the IGC.

Ventara

Wow, for once a month where I don't have more than half the games (I only have Limbo). I'm looking forward to playing Skullgirls, Surge Deluxe, and Puppeteer.

Drakeon

Puppeteer looks good. Never beat limbo on pc so I'll give it a go on Vita. Not sure what stick it to the man is yet.

tokkun

People are free to do what they want, but this is shitty in so many levels.

If the game is great and you want to play it, you should buy it. Support the developer.

So why am I subscribing to PS+ then? For games that suck and that I don't want?

If I want to be altruistic, I can find charities that are more deserving of my money. When it comes to consumerism, I think I will stick with rational self-interest.

Never heard of Stick it to the man or Surge Deluxe till today, but I will give them a shot. I always wanted to give Puppeteer a shot, and I finally get the chance :). Never played PES, or any soccer game in that matter, so not so sure about that. I heard good things about Skullgirls, so I will try that. I played Limbo, but might as well play it again.

Surge Deluxe is brilliant, you'll get value this month if that's the only game you play. Stick It to The Man is pretty funny, but gameplay-wise doesn't have much going for it.

Own Limbo (it's great) and Puppeteer (picked up on $7 sale) already.

PES14 = makes the month for me
SkullgirlsEncore = will try, definitely would not have bought
StickIt + Surge = someday Vita/PS4 games, but neither seem super compelling

re: Puppeteer. Just played some last night, oddly enough. My feeling is mixed. For folks getting this free, it's basically a fun "curiosity box" with high production values and a distinct mood/universe. However, imo, gameplay/narrative wise Puppeteer is not really sticky/challenging enough and so, after the novelty of the concept wears off, the game is mostly, a bit of a let down that feels like slogging through an animated movie that still has some very nice set pieces.

For myself, no regrets on picking it up for so cheap, but seeing that Trine 2 is now $5.99...kind of ask myself why I'm spending more time exploring Puppeteer when I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed Trine 2 much more.

re: buying games that then go for Free on PS+. Eh, half of what's great about PS+ is the fun of the sales...the sales allow you to support and try offbeat games, which gives me PS1/PS2 era vibes. So, it comes with the territory. If we all just waited for things to be free, that would be unworkable. Best to mix it up and know that this will happen sometimes. Realistically, owning still means you could take a year off of PS+ and still have a library of digital games. That's worth something.

re: PS3. 2014 PS3 w/ PS+ is just sick value. I went from being a retro only gamer six months ago to swimming in recent quality titles, indies to blockbusters, many of which have decent online communities.

I seriously don't have time to fully play all these games, but enjoying every minute of the PS3 and PS+ world. (Demon's Souls, Last of Us, Valkyria plus all these indies!!)

If you add up the duds/regrets it's vastly outweighed by the really great stuff.

What I like about what Sony is doing, is that they are creating an environment where people play and own a TON of games, and have access to even more. It's just not a big deal to try something new.

That's good for gaming, in my opinion.

You. I like you. Pretty much how I feel about Plus; it's a lucky bag that sometimes contains a turd, or nothing, but often has a dirty gem stuffed in the corner you never noticed before. And then you fall in love with the gem.

Has the US already gotten Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed in the past? The console version, not the Vita one.

I'm interested in a good Kart racer, and I'm wondering if I should just try to find it for cheap if it's not going to be in the IGC.

Vita only for US so far. I still expect the PS3 version to pop-up at some time though.

Top Bottom