• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PS Plus May (Stick it to the Man, PES 2014, Limbo, Puppeteer)

lord

fyi, we're getting the same stuff in mexico, except for PES which is replaced by Sly Cooper: TIT, might be the same in all of latam

ohlawd

Hold on...you may want to take a seat for this shocking revelation:

I also bought my PS+ membership when it was on sale!

That right, I bought the subscription when it was only $30, thereby giving Sony less than the maximum amount of money I could give them for the service!

I know, I know, I must appear monstrous to you already, but brace yourself because there is more villainry I must get off my chest: With the assistance of some similarly wretched souls, I have discovered the existence of a day known amongt our damned fellowship as "Black Friday" (likely named for the black hearts of the wicked scoundrels like me who take advantage of it) upon which the PS+ subscription is almost certain to be on sale! Armed with this infernal knowledge, I will actually delay purchasing renewals of my subscriptions so as to further deprive Sony of revenue!

It feels good to finally be able to confess these sins and achieve some measure of relief for the horrible weight they have placed upon my conscience. I hope some day to be able to cast aside my past and walk the path of exalted benificence in the footsteps of gamers like you.

holy shit you laid that on thick.

I wait for BF sales too. $30 a year is just right. Anything more is too much.

That's the boat I'm in.

Ok, but why? Like..if no games are appealing enough to buy them, what made the console itself so appealing to buy? Is the system even hooked up if you have no games for it? Is it just a netflix box? I really can't tell if these posts are serious or not.

Ok, but why? Like..if no games are appealing enough to buy them, what made the console itself so appealing to buy? Is the system even hooked up if you have no games for it? Is it just a netflix box? I really can't tell if these posts are serious or not.
When Christmas rolls around, I will always ask my parents for a new system if it is out. The reason being that I don't have the money laying around to get it myself. Then, when the games come out that I theoretically will want, I have the system. There wasn't really anything else that I wanted for Christmas anyway.

What made the console appealing to buy? Japanese developers tend to make the games I like, and they don't make games for Microsoft systems very often. There are other issues there, but basically, I am fine with crossing the X1 off my list. I already own a Wii U. The PS3 had a lot of great exclusive software that I enjoyed on it, and I am definitely playing on a bet that it will happen again.

Yes, the system is hooked up. I have played some of the free content through PS+, but I haven't liked any of the titles so far. I also played Warframe, which was a lot of fun. I usually use my laptop or PS3 for Netflix, but sometimes I use the PS4.

Honestly, I don't even think the PS4 has an exclusive announced title that I am excited for! I'm not in a rush to play it, though. I have a lot that I am enjoying on my Wii U, 3DS, and PS3 still. When I get a Vita, I will have a huge backlog thanks to PS+. The PS4 could be without an enticing title for the rest of the year, and it honestly wouldn't upset me. The games will come, and I will enjoy them when they do.

Dragun619

Yea, that Vita selection is kinda weak especially compared to EU but eh. For PS3, it looks decent, even when I have Puppeteer already. Kinda hoped we would have gotten Metal Gear Rising already.

Welp, I hope they have some really good discounts this month. Looking for an RPG or another Japanese Dev sale on Vita, Sony.

Hold on...you may want to take a seat for this shocking revelation:

I also bought my PS+ membership when it was on sale!

That right, I bought the subscription when it was only $30, thereby giving Sony less than the maximum amount of money I could give them for the service!

I know, I know, I must appear monstrous to you already, but brace yourself because there is more villainry I must get off my chest: With the assistance of some similarly wretched souls, I have discovered the existence of a day known amongt our damned fellowship as "Black Friday" (likely named for the black hearts of the wicked scoundrels like me who take advantage of it) upon which the PS+ subscription is almost certain to be on sale! Armed with this infernal knowledge, I will actually delay purchasing renewals of my subscriptions so as to further deprive Sony of revenue!

It feels good to finally be able to confess these sins and achieve some measure of relief for the horrible weight they have placed upon my conscience. I hope some day to be able to cast aside my past and walk the path of exalted benificence in the footsteps of gamers like you.

Why the sarcasm? I don't understand.
My PSN+ sub was also $30 and also bought at black friday. Actually, I bought 2.

Don't see how that relates to the puppeteer point I tried to make...

Eusis

I'll give PES a fair shake. How accessible/enjoyable is it for those who normally don't give a damn about soccer?

Skullgirls is also somewhat convenient since I downloaded the demo along with the Jojo ones and can probably just activate it, and got the DLC offered for free too. Puppeteer I already own so whatever.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
holy shit you laid that on thick.
When you got something good you gotta go all in. I'm not in favor of people waiting simply because they've apparently decided that they would potentially rather not have a game at all if it has the possibility of being free somewhere later down the line. It's like playing Blackjack with your gaming experiences. And I like to think gaming is worth more than just fun/money. But that's their decision, so whatever.

Sotha_Sil

Bad month compared to previous ones, but you still can't complain. I guess I can try Puppeteer. Shame that a 1st party title is heading to PS+ so soon after release, it must have sold pretty poorly.

Kssio_Aug

Imho it was a great month for PS4 and PS3 owners. But Vita should not be ignored... and the Vita IGC in US PS Plus is not doing good, and this month was pretty bad for the console.

I bought the 2014 FIFA World Cup game last week but thought of getting FIFA 14 as well. Ultimately decided to skip it for now and enjoy the other football game I bought first. Looks like PES 2014 would do for now since we're getting it free.

Not exactly extremely excited for the rest since I already have them. I was hoping that we're also going to get Muramasa like the EU folks did.

Online play, Resogun, discounts, Mercenary Kings, Don't Starve, etc, aren't adding up for you?

Having a PS3 & Vita makes it definitely worth the $4-5/mo alone, but the PS4 features are basically the icing on the cake for me.

Resogun is good. Online play should have been free. Mercenary kings and dont starve are nothing special.

PS3 PS+ is pretty consistently good though. i enjoyed tomb raider, borderlands 2, brothers, bioshock infinite, batman AC etc...

dunno about vita, don't really care for the vita but it seems like PS+ gives away some solid vita games.

Kssio_Aug

Resogun is good. Online play should have been free. Mercenary kings and dont starve are nothing special.

PS3 PS+ is pretty consistently good though. i enjoyed tomb raider, borderlands 2, brothers, bioshock infinite, batman AC etc...

dunno about vita, don't really care for the vita but it seems like PS+ gives away some solid vita games.

Dont starve is pretty good. And the console is still too young to be giving big titles to IGC. I am sure that in the future the PS4 will become what the PS3 ever was... the main base for IGC. But that takes time, it would make no sense to give any big title right now, since all of its games are still very fresh.

The only title in IGC that I desliked was Contrast. I did not like the game, specially when I remember that we should have got DriveClub that time. Hope it was for the best.

odhiex

I am new to PS+ (only have a ps3 at the moment) but never played any of these games.

So yay for me... I wouldn't be complaining about free games on the service like the ps+ anyway.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
No, guys... If the game if free, by all means, download it. Even sell your copy and download the free one. I don't have a problem with that.

I have a problem with people that choose not to buy a game to wait for it to be free.
If the guy never intended to buy Puppeteer, fine. He gets to experience it now. That's one of the great things about PS+.

But if he wanted to play puppeteer and decided not to pay for because, it will eventually be free on PS+, that's shitty. At least from my pov.
I have a dozen games on Steam wish list that I would like to play right now. But I won't buy single one of them now because I know I'll get them cheaper 2 months later in summer sale. Similary for my PS3. Why spend more when you can get them for cheaper? It's as simple as that. Also it's not like developers are not getting money or something. They have a legit contract and they get their share. It's a business not a charity

spwolf

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/24/preview-mays-instant-game-collection/#sf2695066

Stick it to the Man (PS4)
Puppeteer (PS3)
Skullgirls Encore (PS3) (Note: there is DLC for this game that is free RIGHT NOW but won't be by the time the game is free. Buy it now and play it when the game is free)
Pro Evo Soccer 2014 (PS3)
Surge Deluxe (Vita)
Limbo (Vita)- used to be crossbuy but the developer removed that (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/Limbo/news.asp?c=54620), so Vita only

Not a great month for Vita, but that is certainly a interesting mix of games for PS3. Surprised/happy that a sports game is finally coming for free though!

Yay for Puppeteer... Surprised at PES being Plus game...

I might end up buying Vita simply because now I have gazillion Vita games with PS+

Blu(e)

Not sure when you last checked it out, but the game has changed a lot since the initial release.

Faster, more characters, improved super presentation, tons of balance updates, etc.
So I hear. I played the demo of the game when it initially came out for the PS3. Spent a good week practicing the characters and getting familiar with the movement of the game but found myself still not enjoying it so I ended up not picking it up. Picked up the first DLC character already before this announcement (too late on the color palettes sadly) and will download the other ones to see if I might enjoy playing them, but I don't see it happening.

lucius

Stick it to the Man looks like a game might be good on Remote Play, I will play Limbo also. I already own Puppeteer, at this point I own so many games already if I get 2 very good games to play a month from Plus I am ok with it, I do wish they add more PSP/PSone for Vita though. My backlog needs work anyways right now having fun with a game on PS Now Beta that US Plus didn't get.

Eh, I'm glad I let my Plus trial expire out, there's just no value there for my tastes.

Skullgirls seems like a neat game though, I just personally can't be bothered with fighting games nowadays.

Raoh

Thinking about it, how cool would it be to get last years sports games through PS+ just before the new one is released.

tokkun

Why the sarcasm? I don't understand.
My PSN+ sub was also $30 and also bought at black friday. Actually, I bought 2.

Don't see how that relates to the puppeteer point I tried to make...

In both cases you delay a purchase in order to save money. Maybe you can explain why they are morally different.

ohlawd

In both cases you delay a purchase in order to save money. Maybe you can explain why they are morally different.

Don't sweat it. Dude think it's shitty to not support a dev by waiting for their game to be free. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. They weren't getting my money to begin with. Not at $60, not at $40 or 20, or even a penny. Now I can play their game thanks to PS+ and it wouldn't have cost me directly. Those devs can get their penance through my $30 PS+. Like really I don't see a problem with me looking at a game and deciding "welp this look like it'll be on PS+ someday I'll save some cash". I buy enough games at launch so it's not a problem if some games do fall through the cracks and never end up on PS+.

shit, I'm not getting faded under a money tree.

frizby

Puppeteer is incredibly charming and was criminally overlooked. It deserved better than a release on PS3 weeks from Ratchet and probably would have been a better PS4 launch game than Knack. I bought it for $7 in a PS Plus sale a few months back and have absolutely no regrets.

I also haven't played Limbo, and it seems like a nice Vita title.

I'm jealous of Latin America and EU for getting Sly Cooper and Muramasa though.

Ravidrath

Don't sweat it. Dude think it's shitty to not support a dev by waiting for their game to be free.

Sony pays devs to put their games on PS+, and pretty generously.

So it's not as much as they might make on their own, but they're still being supported by this.

Dont starve is pretty good. And the console is still too young to be giving big titles to IGC. I am sure that in the future the PS4 will become what the PS3 ever was... the main base for IGC. But that takes time, it would make no sense to give any big title right now, since all of its games are still very fresh.

The only title in IGC that I desliked was Contrast. I did not like the game, specially when I remember that we should have got DriveClub that time. Hope it was for the best.

I expect PS+ to be better as PS4 takes over and ps3 takes a backseat. Major fan of Sony and i've been a fan since the ps1 era so I know I can count on them to deliver great content to me in the long run. I'm sure at some point ps3 classics will be delivered on ps+ on PS4 in hd as well.

Reminder for anyone who hasn't downloaded these from PS+: This is likely the last month that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and LittleBigPlanet Karting will be available for free. We should find out in June (E3) what major new games will replace them. When they announce these yearly game refreshes at E3, they are typically big.

2012: inFAMOUS 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
2013: U3:DD, XCOM:EU, LBPK
2014: Knack? The Last of Us?

I also believe that the major Vita games (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048) will finally get replaced. Maybe with Tearaway or Killzone: Mercenary.

Excited to be getting Skullgirls for free :D Thanks for the heads up on the DLC girl.

Also glad I didn't buy Puppeteer when it was on sale. Seemed inevitable it'd be offered for free at some point.

Vibranium

Banned
Stick it to the Man looks great, as someone who has never heard of it I'm sure I'll have a fun few hours playing it on PS4.

Can't wait until Knack gets on PS+ though, and yes I want to play this game.

Krafter

Thinking about it, how cool would it be to get last years sports games through PS+ just before the new one is released.
I would love for this to happen, good call. Sports games are typically such good sellers, I suppose the respective publishers don't see plus as worth it. Sony San Diego developed MLB The Show games seem like an obvious candidate for a PS Plus run, I suppose.

Megatron

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/24/preview-mays-instant-game-collection/#sf2695066

Stick it to the Man (PS4)
Puppeteer (PS3)
Skullgirls Encore (PS3) (Note: there is DLC for this game that is free RIGHT NOW but won't be by the time the game is free. Buy it now and play it when the game is free)
Pro Evo Soccer 2014 (PS3)
Surge Deluxe (Vita)
Limbo (Vita)- used to be crossbuy but the developer removed that (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/Limbo/news.asp?c=54620), so Vita only

Not a great month for Vita, but that is certainly a interesting mix of games for PS3. Surprised/happy that a sports game is finally coming for free though!

BIG thank you for letting me know about the free character in Skulls. I should point out (and it should be added to the OP) that there are actually TWO free characters that everyone should jump on:

Squiggly

Big Band

Ravidrath

BIG thank you for letting me know about the free character in Skulls. I should point out (and it should be added to the OP) that there are actually TWO free characters that everyone should jump on:

Squiggly

Big Band

Yeah, people can get Big Band now, of course. But Squigly is the only one that's expiring before this is up on PS+.

Top Bottom