• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Review Thread

Steejee

Hrm...wonder if I can catch both Dunkirk and Valerian on the same day at IMAX... Boston area has a couple, but I'm going to guess the Reading Jordan's (which has dual 4k laser imax, which is glooorious) will go for Dunkirk.

ExVicis

I saw a brief interview with Besson while scrolling through Facebook and he was saying that he read Valerian as a child and has wanted to adapt it pretty much whole career. It seems like he might be an actual fan.

Well I hope so for everyone interested in it. I know I'll probably see it because there's always one movie every year I go see by myself that looks like it could go either way in quality out and this is probably going to be that movie for me.

This and Dunkirk come out the same weekend, but I'm far more interested in this. Good or bad, there's something that's always delightfully interesting about what Besson does.

shira

Hrm...wonder if I can catch both Dunkirk and Valerian on the same day at IMAX... Boston area has a couple, but I'm going to guess the Reading Jordan's (which has dual 4k laser imax, which is glooorious) will go for Dunkirk.
Your eyes and ears will be fucked up if you do.

I hadn't heard of this until the trailer before Spider-Man. My wife pointed out that the music was just Gangsta's Paradise. Try to unhear it.

Why does the OP still say "the reviews are..." followed by an excerpt of what is by far the most scathing review, despite there being a link to Rotten Tomatoes, where it's at 79%?

Not sure how I feel about Danes casting but I think it looks good. Ill definitely give it a watch. Those visuals are very pleasing to me.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
For such "bad" movie it sure is reviewing very well. Now up to 77% fresh.
Well that's because OP laid all the turds up front lol. I read the first few bad reviews, clicked the link, made a funny face, and went back to read more of the quotes.

Paz

This thread is mostly full of hate but the RT ratio is at nearly 80% I don't really understand what's happening.

What worries me is that it doesn't campy ass shit lik the McDonald and Chris Tucker in Fifth Element. As far as I am concerned they are the BEST ELEMENTS in Fifth Element.

As far as I can tell neither lead has charisma, nor can act.

Penguin

Well that's because OP laid all the turds up front lol. I read the first few bad reviews, clicked the link, made a funny face, and went back to read more of the quotes.

Hey, I went in the order saw the reviews and adding the ones I see.

No agenda here.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hadn't heard of this until the trailer before Spider-Man. My wife pointed out that the music was just Gangsta's Paradise. Try to unhear it.

You thought that was supposed to be a secret?

kevin1025

Banned
I'm seeing Dunkirk in IMAX at 7, and Valerian at 10:30 on both movies' Thursday openings. Going to be such a fantastic night!!

HotHamBoy

I can sum up my reservations about this movie in six words:

"Clearly you've never met a woman!"

I'm seeing Dunkirk in IMAX at 7, and Valerian at 10:30 on both movies' Thursday openings. Going to be such a fantastic night!!

You should probably reverse your viewing order...

robotrock

Banned
Hello Boston fam. I do Jordan's Natick, they just show one movie usually. So I'm assuming they won't show Valarian at all, just Dunkirk for the next few weeks.

kevin1025

Banned
I can sum up my reservations about this movie in six words:

"Clearly you've never met a woman!"

You should probably reverse your viewing order...

Haha, already bought the tickets. Plus there's a good hour in between, it'll be fine!

(I'll probably want to see Dunkirk again, though...)

Rydeen

As far as I can tell neither lead has charisma, nor can act.

This is my thing, it doesn't matter how good the movie looks visually when you have two black holes of charisma for leads. Valerian is more of a young Han Solo kind of character in the comics, somebody like Emile Hirsch or Alden Ehrenreich as Valerian, and Lily James, Mary Elizabeth Winstead or Evan Rachel Wood as Laureline.

In general though, the look of the film doesn't even look like they got the look from the comics right, as the comics have more of a classic Star Wars, lived-in universe look to them with lots of big, industrial looking ships populating it's universe.

duckroll

I saw a new trailer for this over the weekend and it looked surprisingly good. It opens on the same day as Dunkirk here though.... (._.)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hey, I went in the order saw the reviews and adding the ones I see.

No agenda here.

"No agenda here"

giphy.gif

:p

What the hell, OP? Way to cherry pick shitty reviews.

The reviews are great so far:

xpzc.png

Can't wait to see it! Watching my 4K UHD copy of The Fifth Element tonight as a primer.

Top Bottom