• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Review Thread

Wish Chris Tucker was in this...

Will watch anyway.

giphy.gif

Seems like it's reviewing positively so far. I think I first saw the trailer before Arrival last year and thought "I would like for this to be good" because I'd give Luc Besson sci-fi a shot.

wait... this doesn't come out until the 29th in south korea? fuck

We gotta wait until August 4 in the UK. Which sucks balls, because I'm meant to be driving to European Woodstock then :'(

Of all the things that have been coming out since Logan this year, this has been my most anticipated, because crazy imaginative light hearted sci fi. Let's do this.

gabbo

So it sounds exactly like a Luc Besson movie, divisive leave your brain at home eye candy with some deeper meaning sprinkled in along the way if you choose to dive in?
I'm game.

UCBooties

Y'know I didn't have high hopes when I first saw they were making a movie adaptation of a comic book series like Valerian but I was interested all the same. It seemed like a movie that Guillermo Del Toro should have directed.

I really wonder who was in charge of finding then deciding to make a movie of it. Was it a guy who just wanted a new comic property to make money off of or an actual fan?

It's Luc Besson's passion project. He secured the rights and funding himself and has essentially been trying to make this movie since he was 14.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
We gotta wait until August 4 in the UK. Which sucks balls, because I'm meant to be driving to European Woodstock then :'(

Of all the things that have been coming out since Logan this year, this has been my most anticipated, because crazy imaginative light hearted sci fi. Let's do this.

august? damn thats gotta hurt.

Critics Consensus is up on RottenTomatoes

Critics Consensus: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets uses sheer kinetic energy and visual thrills to overcome narrative obstacles and offer a viewing experience whose surreal pleasures often outweigh its flaws.

jtb

Banned
Random pet peeve: I hate how quickly RT puts up a consensus. Clearly, if you have to change it over time (as they did with MoS, for example), then it wasn't a consensus in the first place!

This looks fun. I'll check it out.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I was pretty down on this movie, but the trailer I saw before Spider-man the other day was extremely impressive in regards to the 3D effects, and I'm a total sucker for good 3D.

Going in expecting an entrancing mess.

This movie is going to be destroyed by Dunkirk at the box office. Could be campy fun though.

I don't think either Dunkirk or Valerian will fare particularly well at the box office. Spider-Man Homecoming will retain the #1 spot.

Although you're right, Dunkirk will be #2 and Valerian will be #3. With an absurd $225 million budget, Valerian will absolutely be a commercial flop. There's no way this movie is making more than $30mil during it's opening weekend.

Regardless, I can't wait to see it. This has the feel of a film that is bound to be a cult classic.

Shame. The story doesn't matter much for this but humor and a charming cast is needed to make up for that for me to enjoy it. Seems like there's neither of it.

Peterpan

Shame. The story doesn't matter much for this but humor and a charming cast is needed to make up for that for me to enjoy it. Seems like there's neither of it.
Yea Cara and dude from Spider-Man aren't doing it for me. They lack chemistry and charisma, from what I have seen. Cara Delevingne can be a great actress, but she's not there yet.

Peterpan

Based on...?
Paper Towns she was okay to goodish. Plus she still very young, so with the assumption that the older you get, the better you get. I feel she can be great if she works on it. Plus in real life she has a bit of charisma just about translating it, onto the big screen.

She was awful in Suicide Squad and looks equally as bad in this, but she has time and still seems to be getting roles, but I could be completely wrong.

I mean look at Will Smith from Fresh Prince.

DemWalls

Paper towns, maybe?
Paper Towns she was okay to goodish. Plus she still very young, so with the assumption that the older you get, the better you get. I feel she can be great if she works on it. Plus in real life she has a bit of charisma just about translating it, onto the big screen.

She was awful in Suicide Squad and looks equally as bad in this, but she has time and still seems to be getting roles, but I could be completely wrong.

I mean look at Will Smith from Fresh Prince.

Fair enough, I haven't watched Paper Towns, but let's just say I was less than impressed by everything else she did that I've seen.

Besides, if I have to judge based on interviews and such, in real life she seems one of the most "no fun allowed" individuals that ever lived, and a black hole of charisma.

Time will tell, I suppose. Maybe she'll actually pull a Charlie Hunnam (or Armie Hammer) in the future, and do a genuinely great performance.

Alx

I'm French and I've never heard of it before but hey, looks stunning.

You kids should be ashamed ! ;)
The serie is not as famous as the big hitters like Astérix, Tintin, Spirou or Lucky Luke, but it's in the category "known by people who are into European comics". Like Blueberry, l'Incal, or more recently Largo Winch.

Jasup

I must've misread that one review.

Just the same director, then? Phew.

There are other links too. One of the concept artists for Fifth Element is Jean-Claude Mézières, who is also the illustrator of the Valerian & Laureline comics. There is a lot of influence there and some parts were basically taken directly from the comics.

So, it seems the first 30 minutes are the best part, and worth the price of admission. That still means gotta trudge through another 100 or so minutes after that early high.

espher

I hated Fifth Element the first time through but have loved it every time since.

I'll probably give this one a shot.

Bleepey

You kids should be ashamed ! ;)
The serie is not as famous as the big hitters like Astérix, Tintin, Spirou or Lucky Luke, but it's in the category "known by people who are into European comics". Like Blueberry, l'Incal, or more recently Largo Winch.[/QUOTE]

Only one of the three i heard of and that's cos of the movie.

lmao thinking Fifth Element was a well-praised movie and any critic who dinged it was seeking attention.

Way to read into my statement.
I mean both reviews this specific guy did, first of all. Not "any critic", not this one movie alone.
Secondly, the guy just comes off like he is trying to be as harsh as possible.
Calling for the Razzies? Come on.

Fifth Element wasn't some widespread critically acclaimed movie. A negative opinion on it isn't unreasonable.
See above.

Top Bottom