• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

cyba89

You mean that valve that made the multiplayer game alien swarm?

Or you mean that valve that made the multiplayer game team fortress 2?

Maybe the one that made the multiplayer game day of defeat?

Could it be then one that made the multiplayer game counter strike or counter strike source?

Or the phase were valve made the multiplayer game left 4 dead?

Or the valve far back in the day when they made the multiplayer game team fortress 1?

Oh now I know, you mean the valve that made the multiplayer game ricochet

Good job on proving his point. :p

And on top of that they also made Half Life, Half Life 2 + Episodes and Portal 1+2. Unbelievable.

Well on the bright side between Dota2, VR games, and now this Valve is literally running out of games to make I have no interest in. So in 10 years their next game should be right up my alley.

*Valve announces DOTA2 visual novel*

".....God damn it..."

Qassim

Not true at all. When you look at the reaction to the reveal alone, clearly the market thinks otherwise.

If you think enthusiast forums are the market, you're way, way off. Especially when comparing it to actual statistics on player counts, for instance.

HHrUV4v.png

How many games has he worked on and have never been released in the end? lol

Gat out of Hell was his last announced game I think.

Hektor

Good job on proving his point. :p

And on top of that they also made Half Life, Half Life 2 + Episodes and Portal 1+2. Unbelievable.

Were am i proving his point? Valve has literally always been making games like these. Half Life and Portal were outliers, even if GAF likes to pretend different.

Whompa02

If you think enthusiast forums are the market, you're way, way off. Especially when comparing it to actual statistics on player counts, for instance.

YouTube is not an, "enthusiast forum." It's currently their only direct link to the market. I realize this is "playing it safe" and playing to the market, but the market has enough card games and I think the market personally moved on.

Said the same thing for Evolve, and the Bethesda third person dota/overwatch/whatever game that got canned, and the new Volition game Agent's of Mayham. I just see a game that will fart its way onto the market, not be a big splash, and then fade into obscurity. The ship's sailed imo.

yuraya

YouTube is not an, "enthusiast forum." It's currently their only direct link to the market. I realize this is "playing it safe" and playing to the market, but the market has enough card games and I think the market personally moved on.

Said the same thing for Evolve, and the Bethesda third person dota/overwatch/whatever game that got canned, and the new Volition game Agent's of Mayham. I just see a game that will fart its way onto the market, not be a big splash, and then fade into obscurity. The ship's sailed imo.

Enough card games on the market? Hearthstone is the only big card game on the market right now. Nothing else competes with it in terms of popularity and esports. Valve is actually a dev that can compete with Blizzard. This could be much much bigger than Gwent or Elders Scrolls Legends.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's not even old valve people heading up the game it's the new hires, Steve Jaros of volition fame (saints row) and Brad Muir of double fine fame (massive chalice etc). But people are still going "no hl3 fuck u valve" which is silly, the team is probably very small and it probably started development not too long ago, as both these people are relatively recent hires (1-3 years)

Hektor

Their catalogue was pretty much split 50:50 between multiplayer + singleplayer games. How are the singleplayer games outliers?

That catalogue doesn't include all their multiplayer games and two of these singleplayer titles aren't even made by valve.

Let's look at an actually complete list -->

Half-Life Singleplayer
Team Fortress Classic Multiplayer
Counter-Strike Multiplayer
Riccochet Multiplayer
Deathmatch Classic Multiplayer
Day of Defeat Multiplayer
Half-Life: Source Singleplayer
Half-Life 2 Singleplayer
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Multiplayer
Day of Defeat: Source Multiplayer
Half-Life 2: Episode One Singleplayer
Half-Life 2: Episode Two Singleplayer
Portal Singleplayer
Team Fortress 2 Multiplayer
Left 4 Dead 2 Multiplayer
Alien Swarm Multiplayer
Portal 2 Singleplayer
Counter Strike Global Offensive* Multiplayer

*Actually developed by Hidden Path Entertainment, but valve took over development after it bombed

Half-Life Opposing Force --> Developed by Gearbox
Half-Life Blue Shift --> Developed by Gearbox
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero ----> Developed by multiple different studios, none of which was valve
Left 4 Dead 1 --> Developed by Turtle Rock studios, bought midst development (and nonehteless multiplayer)

Won

The ever growing cynical side of me just feels trolled hard. Well do your thing, Valve! Do your thing.

cyba89

That catalogue doesn't include all their multiplayer games and two of these singleplayer titles aren't even made by valve.

So yeah, 7 out of 18 titles (~40 percent) is still not an outlier.

Do you think we'll get to see any kind of gameplay during TI? I know it's not HL3, LFD3 etc etc but I'm still kinda excited to see what it looks like anyway.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Do you think we'll get to see any kind of gameplay during TI? I know it's not HL3, LFD3 etc etc but I'm still kinda excited to see what it looks like anyway.

Day[9] said nothing more would be shown during TI.

I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay but I'm guessing we'll have to wait for a little while.

horkrux

Half-Life Singleplayer
Team Fortress Classic Multiplayer
Counter-Strike Multiplayer
Riccochet Multiplayer
Deathmatch Classic Multiplayer
Day of Defeat Multiplayer
Half-Life: Source Singleplayer
Half-Life 2 Singleplayer
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Multiplayer
Day of Defeat: Source Multiplayer
Half-Life 2: Episode One Singleplayer
Half-Life 2: Episode Two Singleplayer
Portal Singleplayer
Team Fortress 2 Multiplayer
Left 4 Dead 2 Multiplayer
Alien Swarm Multiplayer
Portal 2 Singleplayer
Counter Strike Global Offensive* Multiplayer

*Actually developed by Hidden Path Entertainment, but valve took over development after it bombed

Half-Life Opposing Force --> Developed by Gearbox
Half-Life Blue Shift --> Developed by Gearbox
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero ----> Developed by multiple different studios, none of which was valve
Left 4 Dead 1 --> Developed by Turtle Rock studios, bought midst development (and nonehteless multiplayer)

How on earth is HL an outlier? Most of these MP titles started out as mods, which were then snatched up by Valve and further developed in-house. Even during the relatively long period between HL1 and 2, we at least got the externally developed addons.
Nowadays you get six years of nothing but MP titles, with no SP title on the horizon. Saying that Valve was always like this is simply not true.

adversarial

If it was any other dev I would be rolling my eyes, but I foresee this selling truckloads, regardless of whether or not it reinvents the wheel for card games.

Valve dominating 3 of the Top 5 Twitch games with highest views, I bet.

Z3M0G

The reaction to this news is really unfortunate...

Card games are fun, in general. You shouldn't have too many clones of the same thing (Shadowverse VS Heartshstone, for example), but you have games like Qwent that actually do something unique. And this game sounds unique, where it has moba style "Lanes" and such... I can't wait to see what it looks like.

These games are not all the same thing...

Edit: Like each company might have a small team working on a mobile game, if there is a market for it why not have a small team also working on a card game... (which is likely in turn a mobile game). Seems like a no-brainer to me.

hampig

I'm totally interested in this. Couldn't get into Hearthstone or any of the other big card games around, but I have a feeling this could do it for me.

People acting like a card game coming out somehow took any resources away or even effects the possibility of a HL3 are insane.

jelly

The employees chose to work on projects rights so this is what they choose. It's probably a safe bet to work on these things and make your fortune rather than anything else unfortunately.

Honestly my major beef with this is not that it doesn't sound good. It actually sounds great.

My beef is that Dota 2 is a fucking broken mess unless you want to be put in the Roman Coliseum of Dota 2 play, where Valve makes money off of you by having you compete in lavish tourneys that only those with high APM can play.

If you want to play custom games such as 10 v 10, the game is completely broken and doesn't function properly. If you want to play standard Dota 2 matchmaking, the game functions but isn't fun because you basically can play it only one way or your team slits your throat verbally.

So why on earth are they spending time on a card game when they took over DOTA as a brand and are now letting it waste away from the potential they had to change it?

That's what gets under my skin.

Spyderist

Banned
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What a piece of shit garbage company. I never thought I'd praise EA, but at least their game store works well and features new games funded and produced by them. They ruin studios and franchises, but at least there's a game! At least when CDPROJEKT does another card game they're still developing HUGE videogame projects and not just making millions off gun skins for a shooter that's been practically the same since 1999! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nzyme32

The employees chose to work on projects rights so this is what they choose. It's probably a safe bet to work on these things and make your fortune rather than anything else unfortunately.

They are working 3 VR games - that are "full games". They definitely won't be a massive success if you determine "success" on sales volume.

Negaduck

A Dota card game? This could be awesome! Especially if it for a chance can scratch that Dota itch and not take an hour to play.

Just don't have the time to really play Dota. I'd love a quicker alternative.

I really don't understand anyone getting upset over this. New games are fun, maybe it's amazing. But then again this is the same reaction hearthstone got when it was revealed and people love (or loved) playing it.

Nzyme32

What a piece of shit garbage company. I never thought I'd praise EA, but at least their game store works well and features new games funded and produced by them. They ruin studios and franchises, but at least there's a game! At least when CDPROJEKT does another card game they're still developing HUGE videogame projects and not just making millions off gun skins for a shooter that's been practically the same since 1999! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

These comments are gold!

VR games / hardware / software = terrible company, not real games
Dota / Mobas / Multiplayer oriented = terrible company, not real games

I am similarly not interested in the latter, though very interested in the former. Neither makes a bad company if I simply don't like x game. Meanwhile of course lots of folks me included want to see single player / story driven games from Valve or any company for that matter - that doesn't mean I shit myself over a single game announcement haha

edit - and why the hell would anything non-Dota related get announce at TI!

Anno

So much of GAF gaming side has such a tortured relationship with Valve for the silliest of reasons. It's fun to watch.

MUnited83

For you.
Not true at all. When you look at the reaction to the reveal alone, clearly the market thinks otherwise.

What "market"? A forum of idiots obsessed with narrative single player games that think nothing else is a "real game"? Yeah, people shitposting in this thread are not representative of anything.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for beta sign ups. Im loving this renaissance of TCGs that don't require you to spend hundreds of dollars to stay competitive, and I'll be interested to see what Valve does with the genre, particularly because it doesn't look like an MTG clone like Hearthstone et al.

HHrUV4v.png

How many games has he worked on and have never been released in the end? lol

I can feel the sense of release off that tweet.

I am sure there are a decent number of people who work there who really want SOMETHING they can list on their resume.

Hari Seldon

I'm fine with this even though I have no interest in DOTA. If it is cheaper to play than HS and has a mobile version I will be all in.

Top Bottom