• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

Granjinha

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What a piece of shit garbage company. I never thought I'd praise EA, but at least their game store works well and features new games funded and produced by them. They ruin studios and franchises, but at least there's a game! At least when CDPROJEKT does another card game they're still developing HUGE videogame projects and not just making millions off gun skins for a shooter that's been practically the same since 1999! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

poor you

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Honestly my major beef with this is not that it doesn't sound good. It actually sounds great.

My beef is that Dota 2 is a fucking broken mess unless you want to be put in the Roman Coliseum of Dota 2 play, where Valve makes money off of you by having you compete in lavish tourneys that only those with high APM can play.

If you want to play custom games such as 10 v 10, the game is completely broken and doesn't function properly. If you want to play standard Dota 2 matchmaking, the game functions but isn't fun because you basically can play it only one way or your team slits your throat verbally.

So why on earth are they spending time on a card game when they took over DOTA as a brand and are now letting it waste away from the potential they had to change it?

That's what gets under my skin.

what? No, Dota isn't a broken mess? It has a more flexible meta than most mobas and in lower rankings you can pretty much ignore the current meta without it being too bad.

I can feel the sense of release off that tweet.

I am sure there are a decent number of people who work there who really want SOMETHING they can list on their resume.

well he hasn't worked there for a long time, last game he worked on before this was at volition.

Draft

The Blizzard Valve Wheel continues to spin.

DOTA begets DOTA 2.

TF2 begets Overwatch.

Hearthstone begets Artifact.

Guess it's Blizzard's turn to make a story focused first person shooter, and then Valve makes an loot based ARPG.

Skab

DOTA begets DOTA 2.

TF2 begets Overwatch.

Guess it's Blizzard's turn to make a story focused first person shooter, and then Valve makes an loot based ARPG.

Can't really give blizzard credit for DOTA Allstars since they didnt make it.

Z3M0G

Read the bullet points in the OP again...

This is not Hearthstone clone 124232... this game sounds quite unique and I'm excited to see what it actually looks like.

Aesthet1c

What a piece of shit garbage company. I never thought I'd praise EA, but at least their game store works well and features new games funded and produced by them. They ruin studios and franchises, but at least there's a game! At least when CDPROJEKT does another card game they're still developing HUGE videogame projects and not just making millions off gun skins for a shooter that's been practically the same since 1999! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You're right, if only Valve looked at how successful EA was with Mirrors Edge: Catalyst, a game the fanbase has been begging for for years. That turned out so well for EA right?

Half Life 3 is probably never going to happen. Even if it did, there is no way it lives up to the insurmountable mountain of hype the fans have built for it. GAF really needs to get over this and just let Valve make whatever they want to make. If their prospected game isn't for you then that's unfortunate, but to call one of the most successful video game companies a "garbage" company is laughable.

y'all are haters in here. This is the next stage in the Valve versus Blizzard knife fight. fucking brutal. this fucking game is gonna make so much money geez.

This. Fucking. Industry.

If this is a valve blizzard knife fight, valve is clearly the one butter knifing because blizzard is fucking killing it

Is this a work or shoot?

DOTA begets DOTA 2.

TF2 begets Overwatch.

Now I'd buy those 2 games! Hell depending on how much of Titans corpse is leftover after Overwatch was done, Blizzard might have most of their work done already!

Spyderist

Banned
You're right, if only Valve looked at how successful EA was with Mirrors Edge: Catalyst, a game the fanbase has been begging for for years. That turned out so well for EA right?

Half Life 3 is probably never going to happen. Even if it did, there is no way it lives up to the insurmountable mountain of hype the fans have built for it. GAF really needs to get over this and just let Valve make whatever they want to make. If their prospected game isn't for you then that's unfortunate, but to call one of the most successful video game companies a "garbage" company is laughable.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
are you honestly bringing up mirrors edge as an example to COUNTER me when I already brought that aspect of EA up already in my great comment?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
https://youtu.be/uldSCaNDGD0?t=1m15s

I don't know why people act like "Hearthstone Clones," also known as TCGs, don't count as real games or something.

It's fine if this isn't your cup of tea, but for the many people that have put hundreds of hours into Gwent, Hearthstone, Duelyst and all the rest, seeing Valve take a whack at the genre is intriguing.

I'd rather see this than the inevitable disappointment of half-life 3. Day one download.

I don't know why people act like "Hearthstone Clones," also known as TCGs, don't count as real games or something.

It's fine if this isn't your cup of tea, but for the many people that have put hundreds of hours into Gwent, Hearthstone, Duelyst and all the rest, seeing Valve take a whack at the genre is intriguing.

I'd rather see this than the inevitable disappointment of half-life 3. Day one download.

Poker is a real game. I play it all the time. Poker is also way better than TCG.

Nekketsu Kõha;245781250 said:
Poker is a real game. I play it all the time. Poker is also way better than TCG.

It's perfectly fine if you like one genre more than another that has a single superficial thing in common, but I'm not sure why you think it invalidates the tastes of others.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
are you honestly bringing up mirrors edge as an example to COUNTER me when I already brought that aspect of EA up already in my great comment?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
https://youtu.be/uldSCaNDGD0?t=1m15s

friendly fyi id probably stop with the As if you want to keep posting - those kinds of "sigs" are bannable and as a jr it would be perma

Hearthstone is like the Candy Crush of TCGs tho

gimmie dat MTGO mobile client we all want wizards

It's perfectly fine if you like one genre more than another that has a single superficial thing in common, but I'm not sure why you think it invalidates the tastes of others.
I was agreeing with you using poker as example but also adding that I like poker more. Also in poker you can make money as you gamble.

dmix90

n3D2lsL.png

DOTA begets DOTA 2.

TF2 begets Overwatch.

Click here to get 20 scrolls of identify, only $9.99

Nzyme32

How on earth is HL an outlier? Most of these MP titles started out as mods, which were then snatched up by Valve and further developed in-house. Even during the relatively long period between HL1 and 2, we at least got the externally developed addons.
Nowadays you get six years of nothing but MP titles, with no SP title on the horizon. Saying that Valve was always like this is simply not true.

"Nowadays". You've had one period of "six years" where no game was released (and we are completely ignoring The Lab and Destinations). From all we know about Artifact right now - its the lore / story heavy - which is not what one expects from CG

As far as I'm concerned they've been clear on 3 new VR games, some apparently getting announced this year. Sounds to me they are going all in on VR rather than sticking to traditional content, and the company has shaped itself around that. Artifact and even its announcement, not even at the finals of TI or in a peak slot, but just bungled inbetween a couple of matches, demonstrates it as something that isn't exactly the biggest deal in the world.

I love that the logo has those lines in the middle to make it look just enough like the lambda logo to piss us off. Valve sure loves their customers.

_Aaron_

The year is 2020.

No Half-Life game in sight
No Portal game in sight.
No Left 4 Dead game in sight.
No virtual reality games in sight.
No Team Fortress 2 Jungle update in sight.
No Source 2 in sight.

Artifact is now the most popular game on Steam, generating Valve billions of dollars every day through the most detestable use of micro-transactions ever witnessed.

All creative talent has left the company to pursue meaningful projects.

It's The International 2020. A new game announcement is imminent.

Valve presents....

...Relic, a Dota 2 clicker game.

I actually can't believe people are giving Valve shit for microtransactions when Dota 2 is literally free. And basically all non-rare cosmetic items can be bought on the marketplace for £0.50.

Hektor

That card (assuming it's real) looks absolutely nothing like your average hearth stone or mtg clone.

So much about "it doesn't allow them to show their game design muscles"

Top Bottom