• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

Mulgrok

I am surprised they haven't released Half Life: Triple Triad card game. The goal is to get to 3 before your opponent.

wamberz1

tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg

†hough I wish it were based off... literally anything else

Crono27

Of course. I should clarify-it seems like much more of a niche market with smaller room for major differentiation than those you listed. Not saying "oh another terrible card game" more so "wow, seems like a tough market to crack right now".

While it is a tough market. Since they have so many users on steam I think it will at least be a success for them. They will probably do things similar to what hots does. Play this game and get skins/other stuff for their other games aka tf2,csgo,dota 2.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not so mad about this. I couldn't run HL3 now anyway and I sort of enjoyed Hearthstone for a short while.

If it's just like hearthstone and some RNG kusoge garbage then ddos valve immediately.

Finaj

I don't even know how that's gonna work. The Warcraft universe is so massive that making a card game around it works. DOTA isn't.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Am I supposed to be angry or something?

Valve is allowed to release games that aren't Half-Life 3, you guys.

Come on.

Zereta

y'all are haters in here. This is the next stage in the Valve versus Blizzard knife fight. fucking brutal. this fucking game is gonna make so much money geez.

This. Fucking. Industry.

Syf

Banned
I don't even know how that's gonna work. The Warcraft universe is so massive that making a card game around it works. DOTA isn't.
That's another sorta funny thing about this. Making a Hearthstone knock-off with the Warcraft knock-off IP. Such love between Valve and Blizzard.

Edit: After reading more details I wouldn't call it a Hearthstone knock-off anymore.

Come on.
If you aren't berating Valve for literally any reason you're not one of the cool kids around Gaf

That's another sorta funny thing about this. Making a Hearthstone knock-off with the Warcraft knock-off IP. Such love between Valve and Blizzard.

And Warcraft was a Warhammer knockoff, Hearthstone a MTG knockoff and HOTS a Dota knockoff.

I wanna say I have zero interest in a card game but I could imagine Valve giving everyone an even playing ground and make the money from cosmetics, just as it is with Dota 2. If that's the case I might check it out, especially since I've got all the Dota knowledge one could need.

Zereta

They are, but when their next game is a game in a crowded saturated genre, it kinda hits you in the heart

Kinda like how MOBAs are? And yet, there are interesting gems that come out of it.

Heroes of the Storm comes to mind.

Genre is irrelevant. If the game is fun, the game is fun. This announcement is more interesting more because of how Valve and Blizzard are just constantly after each other.

Well they honestly deserve each other as they both have a history for decades of stealing IP. Valve taking dota from blizzard who took warcraft from warhammer is just karma.

RRockman

Banned

Come on.

You and I both know they are sitting on at least 3 other franchises that could really use a third installment other than Half Life 3. This is what we're dissapointed about. I hope to God this wasnt one of the three games Gaben mentioned in his AMA.

Soule

This sounds kinda good for me since I don't really have the time for Dota anymore but I love watching highlights and am invested in the IP.

ScribbleD

Reactions are baffling and tinged with a lot of entitlement.

Personally, I like DotA, I like card games, and I like Valve's stuff so...I'm excited.

woodland

Dota's been my main game since like 2011 and I can't say this thrills me, would've fathered seen the new L4D, a bigger focus on making Dota easier to get into, etc.

That said, can't say I'm not interested in what a Valve balanced and updated card game would look like

Syf

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245727010 said:
Well they honestly deserve each other as they both have a history for decades of stealing IP. Valve taking dota from blizzard who took warcraft from warhammer is just karma.
Yeah and TF2/Overwatch and around and around we go lol.

We need a DOTA MMO to finish the cycle.
Now that would be something.

Come on.

I am primarily a fan of great single player experiences. Valve used to be a master of those. Now they seem to have abandoned it.

That's disappointing, and every time they announce a game that reaffirms that stance, it will be more disappointing.

A genre of game to make maximum profit off of whales and desperate suckers to build that sweet sweet deck in the ever changing meta due to "balance" patches that make previous decks less viable. How Valve of them.

A genre of game to make maximum profit off of whales and desperate suckers to build that sweet sweet deck in the ever changing meta due to "balance" patches that make previous decks less viable. How Valve of them.

It really is the perfect game / genre for the Valve of today.

A genre of game to make maximum profit off of whales and desperate suckers to build that sweet sweet deck in the ever changing meta due to "balance" patches that make previous decks less attractive. How Valve of them.

I mean, at least you'll 99% be able to actually trade or buy certain cards off the market, making it an actual TCG.

Pooya

All the hearthstone competitors pretty much fizzled out. If anyone can compete, it's Valve.

hopefully it's internally developed and not contracted out to some outside developer. They gotta be serious about it if they want to get anywhere.

Hopefully it's fun, I'm done with DOTA but the IP doesn't have to just stick to a MOBA.

DOTA IP holds very little card game design or story value, it is like 99% commercial brand awareness. The Heartstone money is too good to pass, especially when there is no grand card game to dominate Steam yet.

I could be wrong and Valve might actually invest a lot of manpower towards fleshing out the few paragraphs of the Dota's backstory with the proper amount of writers and artists. However, if they were interested in Dota's lore, they would have done something about it a long time ago.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I was disappointed by the announcement. But this is way off the mark. They sell cosmetics.

Reactions are baffling and tinged with a lot of entitlement.

Personally, I like DotA, I like card games, and I like Valve's stuff so...I'm excited.
It isn't entitlement that people react badly against the fact that Valve is making yet another game around milking as much cash as possible from gamers. Also in a genre that already has tons of competition.

Can't wait for the twitch streams of opening packs, gonna be exciting.

Top Bottom