• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve files trademark for... [Update: And Logo]

I'm sure this has been posted in the thread already, but hell no on trying to find it. Half Life 2 launched Steam. It's not unlikely Half Life 3 will launch the Steam box.

Fjordson

Can't wait to see this come out some day. Not even a massive Half-Life fan, but there's going to such an insane amount of hype. Really curious how they're going to try and deliver.

This is what I would like to see:

Instead of upping the scale and size of the setting, how about a return to a smaller, more intimate -- but also more fully realized -- setting? Somewhere that feels like a real place. Somewhere like Black Mesa.

It would be a nice contrast to Half-Life 2, which took us across City 17, countryside highways, antlion subterranean tunnels, and forests.

It would be great for them to take advantage of Adam Foster's talent for creating believable and focused level designs. In his mod Minerva, you start off on the beach of an island and gradually work your way underground into a Combine-ized WW2 bunker. And it all feels very logical.

It really depends on the setting. The Borealis might offer what Minerva did, but the road to it and the potential Combine Overworld? Not sure.

I want to see an open world Half-Life 3 where Freeman liberates the earth from the Combine piece by piece.

Hell naw to openworld Half-Life. There was already that rumor it would go openworld RPGish with NPCs and quests. I don't want that from a Half-Life.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'll probably get stoned for this ...for me HL2 was an overrated experience as a game imho. But the tech they had when first shown was super impressive, so I'm excited.

gilljoy

If half life 3 is happening and its anywhere near as good as Portal 2 it'll be brilliant.

Trying not to get my hopes up too much though

jerry113

Banned
It really depends on the setting. The Borealis might offer what Minerva did, but the road to it and the potential Combine Overworld? Not sure.

Hell naw to openworld Half-Life. There was already that rumor it would go openworld RPGish with NPCs and quests. I don't want that from a Half-Life.

From what we know, the Borealis is a ship capable of teleportation, 'ala portals. Presumably, that's how it ended up in the Arctic. And that's where we last left off, with Gordon and Alyx heading north to find it before the Combine do.

Here's an idea for a slightly Mass Effect-esque take on Half-Life. You take control of the Borealis and get to decide where to teleport to next.

MKUltra

Can't wait for Half-Life 3
game pack including Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two

itshappening.gif

(lol...everyone is thinking it)

Edit**

ibadgrFfyRPqFy.jpg
well done...

btw, as a console only gamer, I"ve never played Half-life 1 or 2. In fact, I don't like that many shooter in general as I love good stories, and they tend not to be the focus of shooters.

I know it was GOTY or whatever when I was in highschool, but do those games hold up today well?

well done...

btw, as a console only gamer, I"ve never played Half-life 1 or 2. In fact, I don't like that many shooter in general as I love good stories, and they tend not to be the focus of shooters.

I know it was GOTY or whatever when I was in highschool, but do those games hold up today well?

If you can find the orange box used somewhere do yourself a favour and pick it up..HL1 doesn't hold up as well as HL2 but the games are so engaging and the story is awesome. Plus you get to play Portal and that game is awesome!

Skab

well done...

Gameplay and story wise, yes. Very much yes. There is a reason its fans tend replay the series on a regular basis.

R0nn

well done...

Except it's one of the main focuses of the Half-Life series.

Both games still hold up perfectly well. Actually, there's no stopping you from playing HL2 on consoles since it's available for both PS3 and Xbox 360 through the Orange Box.

fallout

Why would they do that? Selling HL3 on computers only doesn't do anything to promote Steam because anyone who games on PC will buy it on Steam preferentially already and anyone who doesn't is probably a console-only gamer whose only exposure to Valve games is via consoles. This isn't the kind of exclusive that provides serious strategic leverage; it'd just be throwing away money.
People seem far too locked into the concepts that the console market has "taught" them. Consoles need "killer exclusives" at launch, otherwise they're "dead in the water".

probably a case of name protection

or gabe will still disapoint and release Half life 3 3rd person MMO set in the same universe but featuring none of the same characters, oh and free to play with lots of microtransactions (basically i'm thinking the same thing they did to legacy of kain with Nosgoth)

Gerald

Does no one know the first thing about trademark law? You don't need to trademark sequels. If Valve already owns the Half-Life mark, they do not need to trademark Half-Life 2 or Half-Life 3. Clearly a fake.

Played Half-Life 2, truth be told I don't see why it is as great and hyped as people say.

Don't get me wrong it was a good game, but there are better FPSs out there.

AkuMifune

Banned
This. It annoys me seeing people who are playing this game for the first time, nearly ten years after its release, call it overrated.

When the best most FPS games can do is simply follow its template. All these "modern" games they play exist solely in HL2's shadow.

Grief.exe

This. It annoys me seeing people who are playing this game for the first time, nearly ten years after its release, call it overrated.

HL2 doesn't hold up as well, I believe, due to how some sections are stretched out.

EP2 holds up much better and is the best example of perfect pacing in a Half-Life game.

I consider Halo 2 and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay to be leagues better than Half Life 2, but different strokes...

Butcher Bay isn't really an FPS. Its more of a stealth game in a first person perspective.

You spend more time brawling, exploring, and talking to people in that game then actually shooting.

Butcher Bay is one of my favorite games of all time, but I wouldn't even put it in the same genre as HL2.

Sibylus

Banned
Sure I did. Valve wouldn't file a trademark for a mark they already own. This was filed by a third party in their name as a hoax to stir up the fans.
On what basis, the google-translated article? Marc Laidlaw withheld comment when asked, which is pretty telling given he has never been shy about calling out fakes in the past.

Cutebrute

HL2 doesn't hold up as well, I believe, due to how some sections are stretched out.

EP2 holds up much better and is the best example of perfect pacing in a Half-Life game.

Absolutely this. I'm playing through the entire series right now for the first time (I'm at the end of Ep2), and I think Ep2 has been quite a bit better than the main game so far. The pacing and quality of action has been top-notch by any standard, where as I find HL2 to be slow and drawn-out.

BlazinAm

well done...

Retail defeats the point of what Valve wants out of these Steam Boxes. I would assume that these machines wont even come with optical drives.

balohna

In 2004, I liked UT2004 better than HL2 and still probably prefer it overall. But you can't really compare the two.

Top Bottom