• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve files trademark for... [Update: And Logo]

Angry Fork

The last two games Valve has released, CS:GO and DOTA 2 do nothing to dumb down, homogenize, or otherwise cater to the lowest common denominator.

I don't see them going down this route, they know their audience and consumer base.

Just look at the top 10 games played on Steam, the only game that is actively targeting the lowest common denominator gamer is Skyrim.

MleVz78.png

I'm basically only going off that one statement by gabe where he suggested Valve isn't going to make 'traditional' single player games anymore and they're exploring the persistent online service bullshit in everything from now on. That has me fairly worried about seeing "x is online! want to join game?" on the main menu of HL3 or notifications in-game.

I want the game to be as 90s as possible. Pretend online and COD never existed. It's just about the characters and story in an extremely well designed shooter. It was just one statement and I obviously have no clue how Valve really feels about it all but I have doubts about them simply ignoring every other FPS that has come out since and all the "evolutionary" gameplay changes since HL2. Too many old franchises this gen have turned their back on series roots, practically all of them.

Grief.exe

Wow I'm surprised Rome II has that many players! Nice to know :)

There was actually about 150,000 concurrent day one, but poor word of mouth has really hurt the game

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=214950&from=1378041540

I'm basically only going off that one statement by gabe where he suggested Valve isn't going to make 'traditional' single player games anymore and they're exploring the persistent online service bullshit in everything from now on. That has me fairly worried about seeing "x is online! want to join game?" on the main menu of HL3 or notifications in-game.

I want the game to be as 90s as possible. Pretend online and COD never existed. It's just about the characters and story in an extremely well designed shooter. It was just one statement and I obviously have no clue how Valve really feels about it all but I have doubts about them simply ignoring every other FPS that has come out since and all the "evolutionary" gameplay changes since HL2. Too many old franchises this gen have turned their back on series roots, practically all of them.

I can concede to that point as I remember that specific statement.

Its hard to imagine that he said that in reference to HL3 though, more in line with L4D, Dota, CS, and TF series respectively.

Though the online element of Portal 2 was very successful.

Well, GAF was not ready for that jelly.

Get ready for pay2win multiplayer slot machine unlocks, always-online DRM, token 4-hour campaign, linear corridors, regenerating health, two shot reflex kills, QTE finishers, dumbed-down PC customisation options, DLC that should have been part of the main game, worthless iOS side apps, loud overwrought set pieces, unnecessary cliffhanger endings, handholding easiness, unreliable online servers, and paper-thin PR spin trying to convince us that this is all in our best interests.

Or be Valve, and prove me wrong.

Joco

Is it possible that both games could be free-to-play? Valve did make that statement a while ago saying they were done with singleplayer only titles, and seeing how their most recent efforts have been focused on free-to-play...

Jaded

Banned
Is it possible that both games could be free-to-play? Valve did make that statement a while ago saying they were done with singleplayer only titles, and seeing how their most recent efforts have been focused on free-to-play...

I hope not, i hope that Gabe saw the light and decided not to do all that bullshit F2P stuff with Half-Life.

televator

So GAF goes down when half-life 3 is trademarked? What happens when it's officially announced? lol

Balance is restored in the universe and GAF.... dies because it's no longer needed.
Unless HL3 ends up sucking. No god can help us if it does.

Tonyp2121

Neo Member

I think what Gabe meant when he said that is that none of his games are going to be single player only games, they will all offer some form of multiplayer, whether deathmatch, or co-op like in Portal 2.

Veritas_

I wonder why they used the black / white color scheme for the lambda instead of the usual orange / black. I feel like I'm unknowingly part of some HL3 ARG.

*Note* I've had this avatar for years, I'm not a HL3 ARG.

Nope. Steam-only.

Why would they do that? Selling HL3 on computers only doesn't do anything to promote Steam because anyone who games on PC will buy it on Steam preferentially already and anyone who doesn't is probably a console-only gamer whose only exposure to Valve games is via consoles. This isn't the kind of exclusive that provides serious strategic leverage; it'd just be throwing away money.

Top Bottom