• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve files trademark for... [Update: And Logo]

Q6w.png

I don't really know what to make of this except that I'm rather uneasy.

Anonymity level: Darcy.

Bahatmaan

Neo Member
Things get trademarked all the time and nothing more comes of it. Is there any more conclusive proof that Half-Life 3 is in the works?

Martian

So my guess is that this thread is the reason Gaf went down last night?
Nicely done!

Cant say I am surprised by this news though. We all know Valve is working on it

My guess is that they want to let people cool down before announcing it. Its probably the most hyped up game all time

Its a good thing I am not that interested in HL because if I were this waiting would be hell

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm just scared, you guys...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So this is why Gaf was down like forever

killatopak

MY WALLET IS CRYING!!!!!!!

If they release this only on steam box... oh my.. oh my..

PS4/Xbox One/ Wii U/ Steambox

3 jobs it is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maybe we'd be better off not knowing, Half-Life 3 sitting forever in limbo, us never exposed to the horror it may have become, comforted by dreams and fantasies of what can never be.

The timing for this is very fishy. Chances of it being SteamOS exclusive?

Oh well... it's a free OS anyway.

As long as I can install SteamOS on my PC and don't need a SteemBox to play HL3 I don't care (dual boot ftw!). But if it's Steambox exclusive (0% chance of happening) I'd say goodbye to Gaben.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Funny fact - afaik you can add a confidentiality request to your trademark application.
Where is this a thing? You can't do this in the USA, hence some firms like Apple and Bungie creating shell companies for applications. And I dunno doesn't that sort of go against the idea of the trademark process?

ekim

Where is this a thing? You can't do this in the USA, hence some firms like Apple and Bungie creating shell companies for applications. And I dunno doesn't that sort of go against the idea of the trademark process?

Afaik you can do this in the EU - only to the extend to keep the application secret until the opposition date.

Faith

Why Valve has to register the trademark "Half-Life 3"? I mean Half-Life is already a registered trademark. There is no other studio that could release a game with "Half Life" in the name.

ekim

Why Valve has to register the trademark "Half-Life 3"? I mean Half-Life is already a registered trademark. There is no other studio that could release a game with "Half Life" in the name.

I asked that myself too earlier. But I guess If you intend to use the whole name "Half-Life 3" you have to register that trademark ... at least that's what I got from the discussion in that thread and over at reddit.

I asked that myself too earlier. But I guess If you intend to use the whole name "Half-Life 3" you have to register that trademark ... at least that's what I got from the discussion in that thread and over at reddit.

But didn't someone say Half-Life 2 never got registered?

a.wd

Holy crap, wait what? Did I fall asleep for a thousand years or something? Suppose it would be a beast mode way to intro the steam box (Gabe be like "launch exclusives? Killzone? LOL!")

I wonder what type of game it will be when it does come out.. I mean FPS' have changed considerably since HL2.

Cover shooting in HL3... I think I'll hand in my 'PC Master Race Card' if that happens..

Valve announce SteamOS, Steam Machine and their shitty controller, then they 'protect' HalfLife 3.

Very well played Valve, very well played.

I wonder what type of game it will be when it does come out.. I mean FPS' have changed considerably since HL2.

Cover shooting in HL3... I think I'll hand in my 'PC Master Race Card' if that happens..

This is what I've been wondering. How much will they conform to modern standards, if they'll do that at all.

Horp

Very good question. What would you like to see? I for one am of course hopeful that they can reinvent the genre somehow, but it's not realistic to think that they will reinvent all aspects of the genre of course. So the question becomes, will we want something very similar to HL2 with some added elements or do we want something similar to the best shooters of today (and which are they?), with added inventions and Half-Life-ish elements?

For example, I really, really, really don't want a Bioshock Infinite with a Half-Life twist. Dare I say it; I would rather have a game similar to CoD SP than Bioshock Infinite. The shooting and movement of that game is just so offputting and boring to me.

Faith

I think HL3 should be somewhere between Halo 4 and Half Life 2. Much better graphics and physics but in the core the same game with some new gameplay features.

If they can achieve something akin to F.E.A.R. then I'll be happy. No need for covers and ironsights. Not that I don't like HL combat, I recently played the mod called Minerva and thought it held up more than well.

Very good question. What would you like to see? I for one am of course hopeful that they can reinvent the genre somehow, but it's not realistic to think that they will reinvent all aspects of the genre of course. So the question becomes, will we want something very similar to HL2 with some added elements or do we want something similar to the best shooters of today (and which are they?), with added inventions and Half-Life-ish elements?

For example, I really, really, really don't want a Bioshock Infinite with a Half-Life twist. Dare I say it; I would rather have a game similar to CoD SP than Bioshock Infinite. The shooting and movement of that game is just so offputting and boring to me.

Interestingly enough I enjoyed Infinite's combat a lot more than other modern shooters I played. Then again I haven't exactly been overdoing it with modern shooters. But in Infinite the combat was fast-paced, had lots of mobility, it included verticality and hip fire wasn't gimped in favor of ironsights.

Horp

If they can achieve something akin to F.E.A.R. then I'll be happy. No need for covers and ironsights. Not that I don't like HL combat, I recently played the mod called Minerva and thought it held up more than well.

Interestingly enough I enjoyed Infinite's combat a lot more than other modern shooters I played. Then again I haven't exactly been overdoing it with modern shooters. But in Infinite the combat was fast-paced, had lots of mobility, it included verticality and hip fire wasn't gimped in favor of ironsights.

For me Infinite was a game that:
* Didn't have enough ammo and weapon fun-factor to be a side-strafe-shooter akin to Serious Sam

* Didn't have good enough weapons and general precision to be a cover shooter (or the level design for it)

* Didn't have fun or varied enough spells to be a "makes you feel like a god"-action game like the Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy games

* Wasn't very varied at all. Few guns, very little progression (the gun progression system was underdeveloped and un-interesting)

* Too tedious on harder difficulties. I usually always play on "hardest" in games, but here there weren't enough tactics available to use to support this. The ammo ran out all the time, and getting new weapons from fallen enemies meant giving up the few good guns you have, and also getting hit by tons of stray fire. Usually meant I saw the "come back to life"-scene way too many times.

* Too easy on easier difficulties. Suddenly the spells in combination with the guns becomes a god mode fest.

* Some really terribad fights. The ghost-fights and even more so the final battle which was truly annoying.

Could list more, but this isn't a Infinite-thread :)
I just really, really don't want other games to go down that path. I'd say it's around as bad a shooter as Skyrim is a fantasy action game. (A great RPG though)

jerry113

Banned

This is what I would like to see:

Instead of upping the scale and size of the setting, how about a return to a smaller, more intimate -- but also more fully realized -- setting? Somewhere that feels like a real place. Somewhere like Black Mesa.

It would be a nice contrast to Half-Life 2, which took us across City 17, countryside highways, antlion subterranean tunnels, and forests.

It would be great for them to take advantage of Adam Foster's talent for creating believable and focused level designs. In his mod Minerva, you start off on the beach of an island and gradually work your way underground into a Combine-ized WW2 bunker. And it all feels very logical.

ekim

untitled2rpswx.png

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCousins/status/385380417848635392

HL3 bundled with SteamOS download, right?

he is this guy:
http://www.bencousins.com/
2011 General Manager, Scattered Entertainment - The Drowning (iOS/Android)

2009 General Manager, Easy Studio - Battlefield Play4Free, Battlefield Heroes, Lord of Ultima, Battleforge, Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances (PC), EA

2008 Executive Producer - Battlefield Franchise - Battlefield 1943 (PS3, 360, PC), Battlefield Bad Company 2 (PS3,360, PC), Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Online (PC), EA/DICE

2007 Senior Producer, Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Online (PC), EA/DICE

2006 Creative Director, Home (PS3), Sony Computer Entertainment

2006 Design Manager, EyeToy Group - Tori-Emaki, EyeCreate, Aqua Vita, Ember, Sky Blue, Trials of Topoq, Operation Creature Feature, EyePet (PS3), Sony Computer Entertainment

2005 Lead Designer, Beats (PSP), Sony Computer Entertainment

2004 Lead Designer, Fired Up (PSP), Sony Computer Entertainment

2001 Lead Designer, B.C. (Xbox), Lionhead Studios

2000 Level Designer, Sabrina The Teenage Witch (PSX), Asylum Entertainment

1999 QA Tester - Armorines (N64, PSX), Revolt (PC, N64, PSX, Dreamcast), Acclaim Studios London

Top Bottom