• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve files trademark for... [Update: And Logo]

salromano

They probably just renewed the trademark.

I dunno. Checking the US database right now for "Half-Life"...

untitled-2cpso4.png

Doesn't seem there's ever been a Half-Life 3 trademark in the U.S. If this were a renewal in Europe, you'd figure they'd already have one trademarked in the U.S., as well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Rösti;84210039 said:
I found it during my regular (I do these like 14 times a week) browsing of new trademark filings. Told Shinobi about as I didn't wanna make a thread myself and have the servers crash (which they haven't yet luckily).

Nice of him giving kudos to you in the OP.

Thanks for finding this Rösti! You da man.

Edit: It's funny because normally he gives credits to all the other sites (IGN, Gamespot, VG247) you name it, but not our very own Rösti? ...shame on you shinobi :/

Cornbread78

OMG....Not really hyped, but have a party people, I'll drink with ya'll happy people... Steambox exclusive confirmed...

Quick google search:

The phrase "use it or lose it," while cliché, aptly describes the underlying principles for obtaining and maintaining trademark rights in the United States. Use, not registration, matters most in the United States. Regrettably, trademark owners in other countries, and their attorneys, often overlook this core principle of US law.

The United States is one of only three countries in the world (along with Canada and the Philippines) that requires trademark owners to use their marks in commerce before they can obtain a federal registration (absent ownership of and reliance upon a foreign registration). Thus, the United States views registration with the US Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) as the recognition of rights that mark owners have already created through use of the mark in commerce. The creation of an extensive list of goods without any concrete plans for future use is one of the most common, and potentially disastrous, mistakes non-US trademark owners make. Another is failing to understand the importance of confirming use of the mark on each and every covered good and service at renewal time.

Lime

I can't wait to be locked in a room with talking characters trying to unjustifiably tell me how awesome I am.

Made no sense for Episode 1 to be Hl2: EP1 either and look where that got us.

How does that name not make sense? It was a game that followed on from the Half Life 2 story that used the Episodic model of development. There isn't anything about that name that didn't make sense.

Half life 3 makes no sense because the next game will still be part of the Half Life 2 setting. Half Life 3 will be used for a completely new story arc.

I'm no fancy city lawyer, but I don't one can make a trademark with a number in it, unless it is followed up with more trademark.

ie "Iron Man 3" isn't the trademark, simply Iron Man. "Iron Man 3: Electric Boogaloo", however, is a-okay for trademarking the number.

Even if that is the case, it has to be expressed in the filing. That and the spelling of trademark is 'trade mark' in the capture. Something is off.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Will Half-Life 3 prevent the US from defaulting on it's debt?

Sometimes the right game at the right time can make all the difference in the world.

M09482

Neo Member
Either GAF explodes because HL3 is finally coming, or.... it explodes because we just got Trolled by Valve.

Tourmeta

If it is in fact related to Half Life 3 being developed I wonder how long it'll take for us to get some kind of official teaser/actual news about it.

Sinfamy

I'm in the middle of class reading this, giggling, smirking and jumping in my seat.
It really is happening.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Can you imagine how shitty this game is going to be. No one there wants to work on it + decade long overhype.

TrutaS

Sometimes Valve announced something it reminds me just how much I want Half-Life 3 to happen. This thread just tripled that.

I believe

ps: Why the hell was this not trademarked before? I thought companies trademarked names for possible sequels like 5 instalments in advance.

Top Bottom