• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

Sentenza

Honestly the size of a map is not that much of a significant metric, without knowing what kind of detail and density can be managed.

The new map system supporting super-sized levels without breaking a sweat has me a little more hopeful that it wasn't outright canned but rather put on ice to be reborn as a Source 2 title once the engine is more mature. I won't start dancing just yet, but I am a little more optimistic than I was the last time I said, "I hope SOB wasn't outright cancelled."
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

Dario ff

Banned
I guess these map sizes confirm streaming then? Or with these sizes you don't even need that? :p
Map Size sounds hardly relevant to streaming or compiling difficulty to me from a programming standpoint. :p

Better to look at how much stuff like vertex/poly counts or such can be pushed (300k+ faces is not that much really) and the density of it per area.

jerry1594

Because Valve engines spawn a breeding ground of creativity for amateurs developers. After GoldSrc released we got Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection, The Hidden, They Hunger, Sven Coop. With Source we got Zombie Panic Source, Gmod, Stanley Parable, Black Mesa, Synergy, Insurgency, The Ship.

We'll need a big tentpole game for all this to rally around, but having one aspect of that ecosystem already out is great.
Isn't the ship a remake of a hl1 mod?
This is awesome. Don't care about Half-Life but I can't wait to see l4d3.

Orayn

Maps not being constrained to that grid makes me wonder about something: Does Source 2 do the "recentering" thing like Unreal 4 and Unity, where the origin point of the map can be effectively moved to the player's location so calculations don't start to bog down positions stay more accurate in a large (or potentially infinite) game world?

Randdalf

Maps not being constrained to that grid makes me wonder about something: Does Source 2 do the "recentering" thing like Unreal 4 and Unity, where the origin point of the map can be effectively moved to the player's location so calculations don't start to bog down in a large (or potentially infinite) game world?

I don't believe that it's any slower to do 1*2 than it is to do 200000*1000000. I think why they do that is because positions are often recorded as floating point numbers, which become more and more imprecise the further away from 0 you get (another solution would be to store positions as an integer vector for grid position plus a floating point vector with magnitude < 1.0, but then that would complicate things quite a bit).

Orayn

I don't believe that it's any slower to do 1*2 than it is to do 200000*1000000. I think why they do that is because positions are often recorded as floating point numbers, which become more and more imprecise the further away from 0 you get (another solution would be to store positions as an integer vector for grid position plus a floating point vector with magnitude < 1.0, but then that would complicate things quite a bit).

Right, that's what I was thinking of. Seems like a pretty key feature for making a game engine workable for open-world stuff, which is a good feather to stick in your cap in this day and age.

Wow.

So, how does Valve announces their games usually? On games shows like E3 and similar?

I don't think they've done that for a while now. L4D2 was the last one where the reveal happened on E3 stage, otherwise they just announce their games just like that in magazines or press releases or in the case of Portal 2 have a long ARG campaign before it. They're not too into big shows.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think they've done that for a while now. L4D2 was the last one where the reveal happened on E3 stage, otherwise they just announce their games just like that in magazines or press releases or in the case of Portal 2 have a long ARG campaign before it. They're not too into big shows.
Portal 2 was announced with the ARG, but it still debuted at a conference.

I don't see how that changes what I said. They don't usually announce their games at big shows and they don't have big, continuous presence at them.

Sony stage E3 '10
MS stage E3 '09
Private Source/HL2 showing E3 '03
HL1 showing E3 '98 (I think)

are all the noteworthy stuff I can remember

syko de4d

they are not big into marketing at all. Here in german TV you see sometimes tv adds for the worst f2p MMOs/mobile games but i have never seen an add for steam, dota2, tf2 etc.
Would love to see an add for steam on TV in the future xD

Armaros

A new game engine being released that will undoubtedly power multi-million dollar titles? Yes. Without question.

Nah, thats not possible, Valve just made everyone redownload Dota 2 in order to use the new tools just because they are trolling us.

(Hammer being completely different then the incarnation that everyone who has worked with Source for a decade is nothing either)

I'm fairly certain valve is the most troll developer that has ever existed. This is news worthy?

One of the greatest game developers around, and damn near sole reason PC is where it is today, is releasing their new engine to the world....nope, not news. Nobody gave a shit when Epic unveiled UE4 too right?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly certain valve is the most troll developer that has ever existed. This is news worthy?

Assuming for a moment you aren't trolling...

If you don't think it's newsworthy (which it is), why are you posting in this thread?

This is an exciting moment for many people, myself included, because of the possibilities this update brings.

Sentenza

I hate to be a party pooper but isn't Valve only going to be at gamescom just so they can sell TI4 merchandise?
Well, it's not like you are being a party pooper as much as a poor contribution to the thread, considering how:
- it was already stated a dozen of times before and you aren't telling us anything new
- this thread isn't about what they are going to show at Gamescom
- apart from that, I would guess that selling merchandise will be just a side activity and they are most likely going there to meet several developers.

Well, it's not like you are being a party pooper as much as a poor contribution to the thread, considering how:
- it was already stated a dozen of times before and you aren't telling us anything new
- this thread isn't about what they are going to show at Gamescom
- apart from that, I would guess that selling merchandise will be just a side activity and they are most likely going there to meet several developers.

Thanks, Moderator. You might want to tell that to the person that linked the dota2 twitter page that had a link to gamescom. Thanks:).

This is a pretty great video about how things came along and how we stand now with Source 2

http://youtu.be/N7pbCj3xyMk

All in correct except the gamescom thing because they are they but just bizz to bizz not consumer related.

But PAX is right around the corner also and in Valve backyard.

sega4ever

I hate to be a party pooper but isn't Valve only going to be at gamescom just so they can sell TI4 merchandise?

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/ausstellersuche/suche/suche.php

Valve Corporation

This exhibitor shows the following products and commodity groups:

Click on a commodity group to search for exhibitors of this group..

Platform
PC
Components / Accessories
Controllers

looks like a safe bet is at least the new controller will be displayed.

Not really. 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 had playable demos of L4D, L4D2, Portal 2 and CS:GO respectively, but that's about it.

I see. Wouldn't expect much then.

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/ausstellersuche/suche/suche.php

Valve Corporation

looks like a safe bet is at least the new controller will be displayed.

Last two times they demoed the controller at a convention (CES and GDC) they gave a heads up about that like a week before. Nothing yet so far regarding that.

People said the same thing about first person shooters. Yet, first person shooters are now the most popular genre on consoles. Somebody will make a moba that works on consoles, it's only a matter of time.

It won't have the speed or accuracy of a PC moba, but that's to be expected.

Sounds plausible, assuming they take an equally big shit on the moba genre as they did on the fps genre to be able to make it pseudo function with a controller

Not sure why you'd want that though

Spineker

Banned
I had a dream last night.

It was a Sony conference somewhere, either E3 or Gamescom. They were wrapping the show up.

Host: "Thank you for joining us this evening, and we hope that you enjoy the sho-"

Simulated blackout. Screens, lights, everything all gone. The only thing you can see is the screens of peoples phones and laptops in the audience. A few moments go by, then a familiar voice comes over the loudspeaker....

"Dr. Freeeeemaaan....."

The crowd loses their collective shit, and I wake up.

I had a dream last night.

It was a Sony conference somewhere, either E3 or Gamescom. They were wrapping the show up.

Host: "Thank you for joining us this evening, and we hope that you enjoy the sho-"

Simulated blackout. Screens, lights, everything all gone. The only thing you can see is the screens of peoples phones and laptops in the audience. A few moments go by, then a familiar voice comes over the loudspeaker....

"Dr. Freeeeemaaan....."

The crowd loses their collective shit, and I wake up.

Dreams are the only place where you'll get Half-Life 3.

FadeX

Banned
Will Valve be at Gamescom?

Sorry for bumping, wanted to make a seperate thread but I can't yet. :\

Really hoping to see a L4D3/Half-Life 3/Portal 3/New IP announcement.

Will Valve be at Gamescom?

Sorry for bumping, wanted to make a seperate thread but I can't yet. :

Really hoping to see a L4D3/Half-Life 3/Portal 3/New IP announcement.

They'll have a booth in the business area where they meet Steam partners and all and they'll be selling Dota merchandize. Sorry, don't get your hopes up.

I think we're far beyond the point where we can expect grand things from Valve. They're working at their own pace, own style. They're not gonna pull major pub-esque big reveals at big shows. Otherwise they would have held their own conference at E3 at least. Stop getting hyped about them :/

(People are still going to get hyped for the next show.....)

----

Garry said:
Everything I've heard from Valve is that they're not licensing out the engine like they did with Source 1. They're in the process of shutting the current licensee program down.. we don't even get updated code for Source 1 anymore.

Until there's more details about Source 2, the moddability, what games are on it, licensing terms.. I'm not going to start promising anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve have already made their own version of GMod.

Garry said:
My best guess is that they're not going to license it because they're going to release it for free and let people release games on Workshop/Steam as part of the engine.. with a profit share.

They're obviously going to support modding and licensing in some way.. probably just not in the old way of paying $500k for a license or whatever people paid.

I am 100% sure that they have to be looking at Unity, and Unity's Asset Store and be thinking of how Steam and Workshop are set up to re-create that situation.. and push it to the next level.

Yes, it's that Garry.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1415694&p=45671226&viewfull=1#post45671226
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1415694&p=45671785&viewfull=1#post45671785

untitled-471c34b.jpg

Physically Based Materials (process is like Unreal Engine 4)

And r_lpv(and more text) for dynamic lighting (include GI)

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1415694&p=45672085&viewfull=1#post45672085

Code:
CHelpEntry
{
string m_Id = "Attribute.point_levelstream.load_radius"
string m_FriendlyName = "Distance at which target level should stream in"
string m_TooltipOverride = ""
string m_HelpText = "If the player is closer than this to point_levelseam, start async loading of the target level."
},
CHelpEntry
{
string m_Id = "Attribute.point_levelstream.unload_radius"
string m_FriendlyName = "Distance after which target level should stream out"
string m_TooltipOverride = ""
string m_HelpText = "If the player is farther from the point_levelseam than this then target level will unload."
},
Hnnng, i'm now 100% in love with source 2, GOODBYE LOADING SCREENS!

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1415694&p=45659262&viewfull=1#post45659262

This might help: I've been making a Google Doc since the release of Dota 2 tools which contains a lot of verified information (with some speculation) I've researched about the engine and the tools. I'll update it always when there's new information available. Check it out.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?p=45671968#post45671968

Top Bottom