• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

Nirolak also said he thinks L4D2 is probably just for testing purposes and won't be made public. It doesn't have an ongoing service tied to it, so bringing it to S2 won't change a thing unlike Dota 2 and potentially TF2 and CSGO.

HL3 began life as Episode Three, so it's not surprising.

True, haven't thought of that (now in b4 people say the two shouldn't associated :D).

Does this have the longest pre-production ever then?

It ostensibly means that:

- CS2 is a thing and is being built with Source 2
- HL3 was being developed on Source but has since moved to Source 2
- L4D2 will receive the same treatment Dota 2 has
- L4D3 is a thing and is being built with Source 2 (this has been clear for some time now, though), and
- TF(2?) will receive the same treatment as Dota 2 has

[/URL].

I thought i read somewhere that Valve internally refers to CS:GO as CS2, no?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does this have the longest pre-production ever then?

I think DNF has that dubious honour, haha. Episode Three is running a tight race with Final Fantasy XV, though:

Episode Three: Announced May 2006, 2016 at the earliest
FFXV: Announced May 2006 (as Final Fantasty Versus XIII), 2015 at the earliest

I doubt that. CS:GO began life as a port of CS:S to the PS360, plus Chet said:

Bluth54

It's unlikely that it's CS:GO on that list, if it was it would be CS2_Imported not just CS2. However with how successful CS:GO has become recently I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to port it to Source 2 instead of doing a full CS2, at least for the near term.

It's unlikely that it's CS:GO on that list, if it was it would be CS2_Imported not just CS2. However with how successful CS:GO has become recently I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to port it to Source 2 instead of doing a full CS2, at least for the near term.

Which is for the better in my opinion. I found CS:GO ("recent") success and the updates very impressive and it's a great game.

There were rumors of Smite appearing on PS4. If/when they do that and also release it on Xbox, the game will probably become the second most popular MOBA. They just need to hurry up before someone does it faster, and if they're smart they should be getting it done soon, considering the game could perfectly be ported and played in a console with just minimal tweaks. It's playable with a controller already.

Like, of all of them? Because there is no way it's denting the two juggernauts. No matter how many platforms you release it on.

going through this facepunch thread now, only just noticed it, might be some interesting info there

Looks like the map size is still limited to roughly the same size as Source 1
This isnt true. I was able to compile a map with a brush that was 4 times the size of the grid perfectly fine, and I was able to run the map without problems. I had also imported a bunch of displacements from a vmf file and scaled it to be about 200k units wide, way out of the bounds of the grid and it still worked fine.

Apparently people are finding a bunch of l4d3 code in the vscript if the /r/Dota2 thread is to go by
it's left for dead 2 source 2 version not l4d3

they are really careful this time with hl3 / l4d3 references. only thing i could find was this thing

--require "game.entities.entclass_lair_egg"

someone made paris in 3d and i imported it. can't believe it could handle that. it's running at like 15-30 fps. gotta fix the materials now
vFKCUG3.png

first update by Valve

Fix for a crash when loading a map in Hammer on certain AMD processors
Fixed a crash caused by entities being spawned inside the addon init functions
Disabled bots in addon games for now to fix crashes related to bots trying to use invalid abilities
Fix for a crash when opening the map manifest widget in Hammer
Fix for crash when attempting to import a map with a tile grid in it as a prefab
Replaced “TakeDamage” function with “ApplyDamage” in script interfaces and added damage types and flags

http://store.steampowered.com/news/14104/

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Unless CS2 is f2p, I don't see any other reason of releasing it before 2016.
They won't be a successor to CSGO for several years, not with the way Valve's been supporting it.

I contacted two mods already, looks like they didn't deem it worthy to change or missed my pm whatever. Again, if someone has issues with it, contact another mod.

Atuin

The day Half Life 3 is announced is the day I buy a gaming PC.

No lies.

It is quite sad really but i build every new gaming pc with HL3 in mind.

Wait are you guys serious? I honestly thought people still waiting for HL3 was a joke. I pre-purchased the Orange Box and still haven't finished any of the Half-Life episodes, it's just so... meh to me. Serious question: what's so good about them?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wait are you guys serious? I honestly thought people still waiting for HL3 was a joke. I pre-purchased the Orange Box and still haven't finished any of the Half-Life episodes, it's just so... meh to me. Serious question: what's so good about them?

Different tastes will often cause some to treasure while others may question why.

Holy shit. I suspect it's so slow because it's one big model, but the fact that it can support something like that is impressive. Especially if it is indeed the entirety of Paris at 1:1 scale.

This was his last post regarding it:

it is full scale and you can put it in hammer. but it's kinda too big and hard to fix all these 150 materials

This was his last post regarding it:

Well, even if the model is sorta borked, it's still damn impressive, according to wikipedia, the urban area of Paris is roughly 2,844.8 square kilometres (1,098.4 sq mi), with the overall metropolitan area being around 17,174.4 square kilometres (6,631.1 sq mi). The former easily beats out Just Cause 2's map size, while the latter is larger than Daggerfall. Considering what I can see from the model, though, I'm gonna go with the more conservative estimate that it's the urban area of Paris.

I honestly wonder if there even is a map size limit anymore.

Atuin

it's kinda weird that this still have to be explained

I didn't mean to say as "stop liking things I don't like" so sorry if I sounded rude. I mean I completely understand that some people consider Half-Life to be the greatest game of all times, but I really have difficulties understanding why people would put so much effort and energy anticipating a game that might not come out in 5 years, 10 years or ever. I'd go mad from waiting that long. For example, I think Baldur's Gate II is the best thing since sliced bread but I don't want to exhaust myself thinking about possible BG3 when building a PC. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I get the feeling that some people wake up every morning, quickly check the www.ishalflife3confirmed.com and shake their fist at the cruelty of Gaben.

derExperte

Search for and read some of the many LTTP threads on GAF.

Well, even if the model is sorta borked, it's still damn impressive, according to wikipedia, the urban area of Paris is roughly 2,844.8 square kilometres (1,098.4 sq mi), with the overall metropolitan area being around 17,174.4 square kilometres (6,631.1 sq mi). The former easily beats out Just Cause 2's map size, while the latter is larger than Daggerfall. Considering what I can see from the model, though, I'm gonna go with the more conservative estimate that it's the urban area of Paris.

I honestly wonder if there even is a map size limit anymore.

apparently it's this

I didn't mean to say as "stop liking things I don't like" so sorry if I sounded rude. I mean I completely understand that some people consider Half-Life to be the greatest game of all times, but I really have difficulties understanding why people would put so much effort and energy anticipating a game that might not come out in 5 years, 10 years or ever. I'd go mad from waiting that long. For example, I think Baldur's Gate II is the best thing since sliced bread but I don't want to exhaust myself thinking about possible BG3 when building a PC. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I get the feeling that some people wake up every morning, quickly check the www.ishalflife3confirmed.com and shake their fist at the cruelty of Gaben.

BG2 didn't end on a cliffhanger though, right?

aeolist

Banned
has anyone found out if they've enabled asset streaming to the point where we won't need those awful loading breaks from HL2 anymore?

first off, nobody really does this. secondly, here's a non-comprehensive list of reasons people are interested in HL3 news:

-valve games are always heavily anticipated for a variety of reasons including their general quality and the company's extreme secrecy
-major installments in the half-life series tend to make significant and interesting changes not only to the established design of the series but to FPS design in general
-episode 2 ended on a huge cliffhanger
-many people find the plot of the series to be really interesting and want to see how it ends
-it's been leaked and rumored for years to the point where following the scraps of info that irregularly reach us is almost a game in and of itself
-it will likely coincide with a significant change to the core technology that runs all of valve's games, which makes it interesting to more than just half-life fans
-valve's relatively recent shift to focusing on multiplayer games with an emphasis on community content and cosmetics sales means that HL3 might not be a standard single-player FPS anymore

basically it's a perfect storm of self-sustaining interest

CHC

Am I the only one who can't bring myself to get excited about this? I've known Valve too long, and I can just imagine 5 years in the future people still reaching back to this moment after nothing major is announced....

"But the Source 2 reveal.... Believe!!"

Hmm hmm, you don't say :D

also, it seems he actually compiled that map

Compiling is a lot faster since it doesnt calculate vrad, which was generally what took the longest if you had a well optimized map.

So I compiled the massive map, but I cant show the vast size of it because of dotas fog of war shit.

Cu23brK.png

But this is what it looks like in hammer

nzb7CyI.png

mFbXqb3.png

You can see the full grid in the middle.
And if you look at the bottom, it gives you a width of 31,195,876 a length of 31,415,984 and a height of 1,975,590, which compared to 32,768 is quite the difference.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1250104&p=45629487&viewfull=1#post45629487

another one

It only took me a few minutes to compile a map that was 82k units x 82k units, with 300k+ faces :p

A bridge:
5gMqtNg.png

The same bridge:
xuMyzFC.png

not pictured: 300k faces

You also only need to compile once :p So who cares how long it takes?

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1250104&p=45629490&viewfull=1#post45629490

Orayn

Can someone sum up here what's going on? I feel lost

Valve released DOTA 2 modding/mapping tools based on a new and dramatically upgraded version of the Source Engine. (Source 2) It includes some references to Half-Life and Left 4 Dead stuff, though nothing overly revealing.

Ignore the console port talk for now.

Randdalf

Volvo pls give TF2 Hammer 2014 and Map Workshop. Pls pls pls. It's possible, though to convert VMAPs to VMFs, but you'd have to write some custom scripts to do it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Valve released DOTA 2 modding/mapping tools based on a new and dramatically upgraded version of the Source Engine. (Source 2) It includes some references to Half-Life and Left 4 Dead stuff, though nothing overly revealing.

Ignore the console port talk for now.

ahh, thanks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Like... SoB!
*sob*

jFD7B5tFy8CPx.jpg

The new map system supporting super-sized levels without breaking a sweat has me a little more hopeful that it wasn't outright canned but rather put on ice to be reborn as a Source 2 title once the engine is more mature. I won't start dancing just yet, but I am a little more optimistic than I was the last time I said, "I hope SOB wasn't outright cancelled."

>just a few minutes to compile a gigantic map

As that guy said in the thread, holy tits.

I'm expecting various peeps to try and see how far they can go before they break the new map format.

Top Bottom