• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanity Fair debuts four The Last Jedi covers

Loxley

I'm hoping Phasma gets some redemption in TLJ after how was basically tossed to the side in TFA. I need a scene like the one Vader got at the end of Rogue One - something to show me that she really is a force to be reckoned with.

How are people still not getting that Kylo Ren is a fucking school shooter, and not a Schwarzenegger villain?

He's not threatening because of his look. He's threatening because he's the sort of pindick shithead who thinks his look is threatening, and someone that self-delusional and misguided is pretty fucking dangerous. They can convince themselves of anything, and if they feel like convincing themselves that you are beneath them, and that you don't deserve to live so that they can feel better, then that's what's going to happen.

He's the perfect villain for Star Wars in the 21st century: A Star Wars fan who doesn't actually understand Star Wars, and hates you for getting it.

Yeah, Ren is the kind of guy who would have worn a "Kill them all, let God sort them out" t-shirt and camo pants in Jedi high school.

Sephzilla

How are people still not getting that Kylo Ren is a fucking school shooter, and not a Schwarzenegger villain?

He's not threatening because of his look. He's threatening because he's the sort of pindick shithead who thinks his look is threatening, and someone that self-delusional and misguided is pretty fucking dangerous. They can convince themselves of anything, and if they feel like convincing themselves that you are beneath them, and that you don't deserve to live so that they can feel better, then that's what's going to happen.

He's the perfect villain for Star Wars in the 21st century: A Star Wars fan who doesn't actually understand Star Wars, and hates you for getting it.

I just thought his TFA look was a neater look. But yeah, everything you said is exactly why I thought he was great

I just thought his TFA look was a neater look. But yeah, everything you said is exactly why I thought he was great

Execution will play a huge part, like I thought he looked awesome in that one teaser shot and it didn't make me miss the helmet. I didn't really think he's more menacing with the helmet really especially now that we've seen him without it and part of the reason why masks make characters menacing is when you don't exactly know what's under there.

I remain baffled at the reaction fans continue to have to Adam Driver's face.

I feel sometimes like I'm the only person I know irl who thought he was not only as good as could be hoped with the material but a generally great casting choice. He looks and feels like the angsty, insecure edgelord he's supposed to be, and his performance reflected this perfectly.

In general, I've been enormously pleased with the cast for these. They feel like they are right where they belong, even with TFA being somewhat mediocre.

Sorry but they missed the mark so badly with Phasma and Hux in TFA that I'd honestly just prefer it if they weren't in this movie at all now. Phasma especially... The way she was handled in TFA was just embarrassing. It's hard for me to care now. Especially without her helmet on. IMO her character did look really bad ass with the whole ensemble. Kinda meh now.

I want to be pleasantly surprised though. Like, please, pleasantly surprise me, Rian. I need it.

Damn I think I grabbed the wrong Vanity Fair

QT3WdX6.jpg

This was a birthday gift some months back. Been tempted to open it.

Sorry but they missed the mark so badly with Phasma and Hux in TFA that I'd honestly just prefer it if they weren't in this movie at all now. Phasma especially... The way she was handled in TFA was just embarrassing. It's hard for me to care now. Especially without her helmet on. IMO her character did look really bad ass with the whole ensemble. Kinda meh now.

I want to be pleasantly surprised though. Like, please, pleasantly surprise me, Rian. I need it.
Yeah, Phasma basically said, "meh, go ahead and destroy our super weapon and kill all our troops, I don't really care" after about 10 seconds of mild intimidation. Not exactly the Imperial elite here! She should be the most out for revenge of any of the villains after that cowardly showing in the first film.

I can agree with the sentiment, but I just really think the casting was strong. Honestly, all of the cast except for Ridley, Boyega, and Driver were wasted in TFA.

I can agree with the sentiment, but I just really think the casting was strong. Honestly, all of the cast except for Ridley, Boyega, and Driver were wasted in TFA.

And Ford. So basically none of the main characters were wasted :p didn't think Poe was wasted either. More minimal screen time, but was badass and still integral.

Phasma is the result of some last minute editing they did, and it was just the first of a trilogy so I don't think they've put the period on characters some felt were "wasted"

And Ford. So basically none of the main characters were wasted :p didn't think Poe was wasted either. More minimal screen time, but was badass and still integral.

Phasma is the result of some last minute editing they did, and it was just the first of a trilogy so I don't think they've put the period on characters some felt were "wasted"

I'm with you! And, it's a shame about the editing. But, I will just say that in the case of Phasma, it just sucks because first impressions really matter if you aren't going to put the "period" on a character. And in TFA she should've maybe just been some random stormtrooper captain instead of getting a special spot in the film/marketing. The way it is now with the way she was handled in TFA, she's in this weird halfway point between actually having a full side character role like Hux and being just a random small member of the First Order. Only thing is that now we're most likely supposed to care about that half-baked character in the next film. After the mishandling of Phasma in TFA it's almost too late. Just start fresh without the baggage from TFA.

But oh well. I do hope the Rian pulls it off obviously! I love Star Wars and want to see it be spectacular as much as the next person. This all comes from a place of caring. It just feels like theres some lingering dirt from TFA floating around in what would otherwise be some crisp, clean TLJ water.

Yoda

RIP Carrie.

Also the First Order is really lacking in the intimidating looks department...

Had no idea Brienne was in this

Well the point of armor... is to wear it. But storm trooper armor has this weird effect of where it INCREASES the damage of incoming attacks. This is why the Ewoks were able to take down "a legion of the emperor's best troops". /s

how does Phasma escape a trash compactor on an exploding super base?

Phasma is the 2nd worst character in the new trilogiy

Andy Serkis wins the prize as worst character of the new tilogy

You can see the reflection of the photo shoot set, cool
LOL, you are right! look at those curtains!

cannot unsee it

jediyoshi

He's not threatening because of his look.[/B]

People are literally discussing his physical appearance, not his overall look/design in the context of the boundaries within the film.

Looks pretty lame. Sorry. Zero vision. In fact, way to repurpose interesting Game of Thrones characters with minimal edits.

Ah yes, the vision of Game of Thrones; medieval knights. What goes under 'minimal edits' in the spectrum of costume design?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I thought the covers looked pretty average. Kelly Tran detracted from an otherwise great cover with Boyega and Isaacs.

re: Phasma - she wasn't TR-8R because TR-8R is dead as hell, and she had an extremely limited role in TFA because her character was squeezed into the movie somewhat late in development purely because JJ really, really liked the chrome Stormtrooper design and didn't want to completely discard it after they settled on Kylo Ren as the main villain.

Odds are TLJ will actually make use of her, now that's already been established.

yeah, here's the pic w/ no text & uncropped

DAhtWmIXsAUZBQU.jpg

Goddamn she looks amazing.

Best Leia outfit.

why is the suit chrome? does it deflect lasers?

It looks cool.

I mean, like, that's probably more or less the canon even. It's a flashy uniform that denotes her status.

I thought the covers looked pretty average. Kelly Tran detracted from an otherwise great cover with Boyega and Isaacs.

I'm really struggling to come up with a good reason for this comment popping up throughout the thread...

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, Phasma basically said, "meh, go ahead and destroy our super weapon and kill all our troops, I don't really care" after about 10 seconds of mild intimidation. Not exactly the Imperial elite here! She should be the most out for revenge of any of the villains after that cowardly showing in the first film.

Wasn't it more like "You can try to destroy our super weapon and kill all our troops, but you'll never succeed because the First Order will destroy you idiots!"

I hate offscreen and offscript phoning it in crap

Even assuming she was actually put into a trash compactor, this very series has already established that it's very possible to escape a trash compactor without being compacted. I mean, they had her take down the shield, threw her in a trash compactor, left that building, walked across a giant snow field, broke into another building, separated and unlocked a bunch of doors and set a bunch of explosives, Han confronts Kylo and is killed, the bombs go off, Finn and Rey run away, Kylo confronts them in the woods, they have an extended light saber battle, the base itself starts exploding after Poe hits the reactor, Chewie comes and picks them up and they leave.

People really having a hard time believing that at some point during all of that Phasma had time to escape?

Let's work it out

Okay! When the "look" we're discussing is a look that is very obviously being tightly tied to why and how the villain works as a villain, what do you think my criticism of that particular connection is speaking to? If your criticism of the villain who is villainous because he's not a badass is that "he doesn't look like a badass" then what is it you think I'm trying to get at when I address that criticism?

So again: What is it you think you're clarifying for me that I didn't already understand?

Deepwater

they need to fire whoever did this shoot, Kelly Tran being literally on the side while Finn and Poe (can't remember their actual names) take up the majority of the cover. Not to mention half her torso is blocked by Finn.

Just really bad, if she's important enough to be on the cover she should have gotten equal focus

GhaleonEB

they need to fire whoever did this shoot, Kelly Tran being literally on the side while Finn and Poe (can't remember their actual names) take up the majority of the cover. Not to mention half her torso is blocked by Finn.

Just really bad, if she's important enough to be on the cover she should have gotten equal focus

Her placement is almost identical as the guy to the right of Kylo Ren. She's just shorter.

Deepwater

good artists can make bad art. Not even knocking the other covers, I just think that one in particular isn't good.

edit: and in her possible defense, giving her some ground...I can easily see her just working with what Disney gave her. "pls include this new side character somewhere for our diversity points" and ol girl just did what she could. I don't know. I wish it was better though.

good artists can make bad art.

You said she should have been fired because you didn't like how one of the four magazine covers was framed.

(it's also possible that cover folds out and there's more to the composition on the back side)

(BB-8 is also on the edge of the frame of that same photo, so the image reads as balanced, to me)

Deepwater

You said she should have been fired because you didn't like how one of the four magazine covers was framed.

(it's also possible that cover folds out and there's more to the composition on the back side)

(BB-8 is also on the edge of the frame of that same photo, so the image reads as balanced, to me)

It's a multibillion dollar franchise, I would think all of their media should be carefully vetted and implemented. I'm not gonna walk back what I said because if I'm paying that much for a shoot I would like for them to be near perfect. But if there's a fold out then that would make more sense, I hate how it came out to be on the cover though.

Top Bottom