• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety reports Daniel Day Lewis retires from acting

this sucks because it confirms his break from acting will be a pretty long one. I'm thinking like more than 6 or 7 years at least. but he aint retiring entirely. he's done this before

JABEE

What if De Niro retired at 60? The way Daniel Day-Lewis picks roles, he won't be in a new movie until he is 65. Maybe he really thinks he's going out on a high note. I'm excited to see the last film.

Fevaweva

I'd give my left foot for him to continue acting.

In all seriousness, I hope, in the name of the father, that he returns to acting some time, otherwise there will be blood!

One of the all time great hams. Given how well and entertainingly he over acts in more subdued roles, I think it would have been a real treat to see him in something more fanciful. If he could take a character like Plainview and turn it into that gloriously cartoonish scene stealer, imagine what he could have done as some fantasy king or dark lord, or a crazed general?

A live action Serpentor by DDL is the role that was too good for this world.

main-qimg-a66ae0a1c1feab788a74783f01673aae-c

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
My first thought---and this is as an actor myself, is that Daniel Day Lewis' approach to acting is about 8000 times more severe than your run of the mill actor. The psychosocial and emotional commitment must take its toll.

RinsFury

What?? That really fucking sucks. I'll miss his acting so much, he was mesmerizing on screen. A huge loss to the film world, but I hope he has many years ahead to enjoy his retirement.

Geist-

Depressing if true. He's been doing great movies for as long as I've been alive, it's going to feel weird living in a world where we'll never see another DDL performance.

J2 Cool

I just don't think he wants to be half-committed, and maybe he is anticipating not able to work himself into such a frenzy at an older age. He's probably very content with his career, and doesn't see any films or stories he really wants to tell in the future.

Also, how many young filmmakers would he want to work with?

Artdayne

I mean, I really love some of his roles, he's a truly a great actor but I do find that he seemed to only take the Oscar bait roles later in his career and he spent far too much being a cobbler than he did being an actor. Give me someone like Gary Oldman or Philip Seymour Hoffman over him any day. Not trying to hate on the man, but I can't crown him when he's not acting enough.

Voidance

It's sad to see this from one of my favorite actors. I always look forward to his performances. That said, I am even more hyped for his new movie later this year.

Rhoc

Kinda sad about it I always wanted to see him in a Tarantino flick. Such a great actor my favorite role of his has to be in Gangs of New York. I hope he has a fun retirement and long life.

strafer

Kinda sad about it I always wanted to see him in a Tarantino flick. Such a great actor my favorite role of his has to be in Gangs of New York. I hope he has a fun retirement and long life.

I would have loved to see him work with Nolan.

DiscoJer

I always get him confused with the burglar from Home Alone, the one that isn't Joe Pesci

Then eventually I remember that's Daniel Stern

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
No, GAF, you people are getting it wrong.

He's prepping for a role that involves him being a retired actor.

Biggzy

A bit unexpected but he totally deserves it. An astonishing actor who you could make a very good argument was the pinnacle of his generation.

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that I can get away from everyone. I see the worst in people. I don’t need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I’ve built my hatreds up over the years, little by little, Henry… to have you here gives me a second breath. I can’t keep doing this on my own with these… people.

Mission accomplished big guy.

strafer

Seeing as Phantom Thread is set in London does that mean he will use his normal accent? Don't think I've seen a movie were he speaks normally.

Top Bottom